Best Moderate for a Toddler

WDWFREAK53

Ok...the name of the thread says it all.

My little girl is going to be 2 when we go...and she loves the water. I'm envisioning that we'll be at the resorts a lot more on this trip that I'm use to.

So, which resort has the best pool? Best for little ones? Easiest (quickest) transportation? Any other extras?

See, I've been to all of the moderates...but never experienced them with a toddler or a child...so it's like looking at the resorts with new eyes.

EvilQueen-T

i love pofq for it's size. if you need to run back to the room for any reason it's simple to do so no matter where your room is. plus none of the rooms are really that far away from the main lobby/dining court, pool, or bus stop at pofq. i agree with the zero entry water line at cbr is nice - being able to just hold a toddlers hand and walk in makes it easier with an independent 2 y/o. i wouldn't worry about the theme of a resort at that age at the moderate resorts, i think they're basically to subtle for one that young. if it's the awe factor you're looking for in the theme of a resort you may get more of that at one of the value resorts. all the moderates have playgrounds and all have nice pools otherwise.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I would absolutely NOT recommend POFQ for a toddler -- first of all, it's the most adult-geared of all the moderates: it's only been in the last few years that the secret is out and lots of families with younger kids are staying there...but for the most part, the entertainment there is for 10 and ups...there are no breakout areas with playgrounds and the like.

CB will offer the most options for you with a toddler -- but it also a very large resort that is spread out. So that is the tradeoff. PO Riverside might also be an option - although at certain times of year it can be as busy as the value resorts.

Earlier someone answered a question very wrong. All of the moderates do NOT have marinas although you can get strollers at any of them. POFQ does have a stop for the boat to DTD, but there are no rental boats or other recreation activities there other than the pool and an arcade for the kids.

PORiverside does have a marina with rentals, but not FQ.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

We've booked an 11 day trip at CBR and my kids are 6 and 8. We showed them pictures of the mods and let them pick. We've done all the values so we wanted a change. Was CBR a mistake over POR? POFQ is not in the running...too grown up for their taste. Now you all have me reconsidering. :shrug:

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

We've booked an 11 day trip at CBR and my kids are 6 and 8. We showed them pictures of the mods and let them pick. We've done all the values so we wanted a change. Was CBR a mistake over POR? POFQ is not in the running...too grown up for their taste. Now you all have me reconsidering. :shrug:

We spent 12 nights (yes, 12) at CBR and we loved every minute of it! I think I was there long enough to get a fair representation of the bussing and it was great! The busses ran regularly and we never had a problem getting a spot on the bus.

I was in Jamaica and I really liked it. I was really quiet and the bus stop was a short walk away. The main pool and food court was a little farther but nothing serious... we loved our little walks through Caribbean Cay to get to Old Port Royale. Your kids will love the pool there, I promise!

I love the theme at CBR... it's way more my taste than POFQ (sorry, I just don't like Mardi Gras :shrug:)! The quiet pools are just that - quiet! There's usually only a few people in them at a time. The little beaches and playgrounds are great as well. One night there was a severe electrical storm and the pool was closed. We went down to the beach and lay in a hammock while the kids played in the sand and watched the lighting off in the distance... it was beautiful.

I would go back to CBR in an instant!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

at 6 and 8 all you do to seal the deal for cbr is to watch pirates of the Caribbean once before you go, hit the pool or playground with the pirate theme and they'll be hooked.

my daughter, son and granddaughter stayed with us at pofq when gd was 5 and she loved pofq, but she loves the gf and poly as well but she was also the kid who was upset when she and her dad purchased their first home thus moving them out of their apartment which to this day at age 7 she misses because she thought she was living at "their resort" (i guess it would feel like it when someone else does all the cooking/cleaning and you get to play in the pool and clubhouse). apparently living in a real house is to boring compared to her "resort". anyway, with the wdw moderates i think it's all in the type of kids you have. my gd loved the pool area at pofq but honestly i think she'd have been happy sleeping in the car just to spend time at wdw. i've stayed at cbr in 03 when my daughter was in high school and we liked it very much. i think you've made a great choice with cbr. i wouldn't change reservations.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

at 6 and 8 all you do to seal the deal for cbr is to watch pirates of the Caribbean once before you go, hit the pool or playground with the pirate theme and they'll be hooked.

My kids have never seen POTC and they thought CBR was "the best resort ever"! (actual quote from my kids)

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

This is an amazing thread. My daughter will be two in August and I have taken every opportunity since she was born to threaten my wife with a trip to WDW. Thanks to you guys, I have a lot more help!

Thanks for the great ideas. At this point it seems like CBR is the place for us as well.

Upvote 0

Lauraldove29

If you can at all afford it, the deluxe resort Beach club and Yacht club are fabulous. It has been a few years for our family,but it is the best place that we have stayed on property.My son was 12last time we where there and this summer we are finally going back and he is bring a friend.We also have a new addition this tie around,our 18 months old daughter,(she will be 18 months when we arrive)We love this resort,and if your child loves the pool,no pool can beat this one.There is an area at the base of the Flying Jib slide that is dedicated just to toddlers.Their are splash pads and sans areas for the kids to play and build sand castles.Also the proximity to Epcot and Dhs alone is reason to stay here with a little one.Being so close to these parks makes it easy for a quick get away when the little ones needs to head back for a nap.The board walk area had street musicians and stilt walkers and characterists and much more for them.Plus the carnival games along the lake front make it a toddlers dream.Their are surrey bikes to rent and the little one can sit up front and ring the bell while you ride around the cresent lake.This is where we are staying if you cant tell,lol. Anyway we love it so much and would not even consider staying anywhere else.Just the opinion of our family.Hope you have a wonderful trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
If you can at all afford it, the deluxe resort Beach club and Yacht club are fabulous. It has been a few years for our family,but it is the best place that we have stayed on property.My son was 12last time we where there and this summer we are finally going back and he is bring a friend.We also have a new addition this tie around,our 18 months old daughter,(she will be 18 months when we arrive)We love this resort,and if your child loves the pool,no pool can beat this one.There is an area at the base of the Flying Jib slide that is dedicated just to toddlers.Their are splash pads and sans areas for the kids to play and build sand castles.Also the proximity to Epcot and Dhs alone is reason to stay here with a little one.Being so close to these parks makes it easy for a quick get away when the little ones needs to head back for a nap.The board walk area had street musicians and stilt walkers and characterists and much more for them.Plus the carnival games along the lake front make it a toddlers dream.Their are surrey bikes to rent and the little one can sit up front and ring the bell while you ride around the cresent lake.This is where we are staying if you cant tell,lol. Anyway we love it so much and would not even consider staying anywhere else.Just the opinion of our family.Hope you have a wonderful trip.:wave:

Yeah, we love Beach Club...but this is kind of a quick, non-expensive one (saving up for a big one next year and we'll be at a Deluxe).

But...with the new discounts that just showed up in my inbox...it looks like Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are also on the table.

Any "kids splash" areas at either of these two? I know they have kiddie pools...but any of the "splash" areas?

Upvote 0

Lauraldove29

I think that both of the lodges have splash areas for the kids, the new animal kingdom villas have an entire area that looks really good for toddlers. Check them out on allearsnet.com under accommodations and they have a slide show.I highly recommend them for views on what the resorts have to offer. have a wonderful trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

mgjones03

Can't beat CBR, our 5 year old son and 21 month old twins(at time of trip) loved the resort, and especially loved the childrens pool area, the pirate ship and slides were a big hit.

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
I think that both of the lodges have splash areas for the kids, the new animal kingdom villas have an entire area that looks really good for toddlers. Check them out on allearsnet.com under accommodations and they have a slide show.I highly recommend them for views on what the resorts have to offer. have a wonderful trip.:wave:

Yeah, I don't think you can use the splash areas and pools at the Villas if you're not staying in the Villas.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Thanks to all who responded. We actually showed the kids pics of all the mods from various websites and let them pick and CBR seemed to have that "wow factor" for them (I think the beaches and pirate ship did have something to do with it) :lol:. I'm no longer second-guessing their (our) choice. More excited now than ever!!! Thanks to all!

Upvote 0

Kaseys412

So...sell me on it :)

So far, Caribbean Beach seems to be running away with it.

LOL!! Ok.. you asked for it.

I'm not going to try and say that POR is better than CBR, it just depends on personal preferences.. so here goes.

CBR is supposed to be a tropical theme, so of course you get the island music etc.. while POR is a Louisiana, deep south sort of feel. POR's landscaping is simply amazing...pretty much everywhere you go within the resort, you feel secluded because there is SO much greenery. CBR is more open, the main pool is located right next to the dining hall, gift shops, stores etc. IMO, POR's Ol' Mans Island is far better. The smaller pools are more secluded as well, we always feel like we're at a smaller private resort at POR because the trees and foliage they have surrounding the pools really gives it an edge (we always stay in Alligator bayou by the way, I can't speak for the mansions at POR). Being able to hop on the boat and cruise down the river to Downtown whenever you like is also a big plus for us. I may be very partial to POR because it's the resort I remember from my first visits to Disney when I was little (it took me a very long time to get used to POR when it was no longer called Dixie Landings thank you very much lol!) but I just really feel at home there. I have friends who could easily afford to live at the Grand Floridian if they wanted to, yet they prefer the laid back POR to any other resort. Like I said, to each their own... maybe make the decision to stay at one this trip, and the other next time so you can make your own comparison. Personally... I don't think I'd stay at CBR again if it was half the price of POR, but that's just me :lol:

Upvote 0

Kaseys412

Hehe, I haven't booked anything yet...still waiting for JetBlue's schedule to extend out.

I would suggest going to photobucket or google images and searching both resorts, you will get tons of pictures, helps you get a better idea of what the resorts really look like, but of course pictures never do justice.. as I said Disney is Disney and you'll have fun no matter where you stay :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom