best clothes for rain...

tare

The dollar store has ponchos. We also have rain jackets that fold up into tiny little pouches. Easy to carry with you.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Depends on when you are going if it is cold and rainy you might want a rain proof jacket. Even though the ponchos in the park are expensive they are a lot better quality than the cheap $1 ponchos. We have had ours since 2006 and only bought new ones once because we had forgotten ours.

HMFan999

If you have a way to keep it dry carry a microfiber towel with you. They're good for drying hair quickly. Bring newspaper and rubberbands. If your shoes get soaked, wad up some newspaper and shove it in the shoe. Wrap newspaper around it and use the rubberbands to keep is in place. You'll find the newspaper draws out the mosture a lot faster than just air drying does. You may have to change it a few times though.

AstroJess

Like others have said, buy ponchos before you get to Disney to save money. I actually prefer the slightly thicker, higher quality ones over the cheap plastic ones. I have 2 from Target that I can re-use every time I go (they're good for music festivals too!). I also throw a few plastic sandwich baggies in my purse to protect my phone.

ryguy

Living here in Florida I have become a big fan of anything Dri Fit. It can get wet and will dry very quickly. Whether its perspiration , getting wet on a ride, or wet from the sky it's jack of all trades material.

ninjaprincesst

I have found the dollar store ponchos don't last past one rain shower they are too flimsy, we buy the Disney ones and take them back year after year, they don't cost anymore than a similar quality one from Wal Mart and the good thing is even if they are not the current years pancho if you rip them Disney will replace them for free. They replaced a yellow one for me just a couple of years ago and I don't even know how long it's been since they had yellow ones.

ninjaprincesst

Save yourself some money and DO NOT wait to buy them at a park! You'll be paying almost $10 for ONE poncho at WDW. We bought cheap dollar store ones if we needed them while in the park and if we were visiting DTD or just going between resorts for dinner we packed a small collapsable umbrella, also bought at the dollar store.

2 raincoats + 1 umbrella=$3+tax dollar store
2 raincoats +1 umbrella=$30+tax WDW
You get what you pay for though we tried the dollar store ones for one trip years ago and they are so cheaply made in the end you end up spending more since they are literally single use, and Don't even get me started on the dollar store umbrella it was chunked in the trash the first day. We just keep the disney ones and bring them back each year. I figured it out to have enough to survive the multiple showers it cost our family of four (plus a scooter to keep dry) $120 for cheap panchos for one trip (3 a day per person and scooter) versus the $35 dollars we spent on Disney ones (they were $7 apiece the last time I bought one) plus Disney will replace torn ones for free. Also the dollar store ones are kinda short i like how the Disney ones are a little longer to cover your shorts and any bags your holding.

The Mom

Premium Member
Some people are fine with a use and toss poncho, and would actually prefer not having to refold and carry a used, wet one. Sometimes I'm one of them (and bring a gallon zip lock as it's easier to fit a used one in it - just make sure you unfold it later and let it dry thoroughly!) , but most of the time I am not. But if you don't want to reuse one, a cheap plastic one that can fit in your pocket is a good choice.

One tip is to put a ball cap (or any brimmed hat) on top of the poncho or raincoat hood (regardless of type) as it keeps it from blowing back, and keeps the rain somewhat off of your face/glasses.

It's a good idea to pack an additional hat, along with additional shoes & socks, for those rainy days. Or wear water shoes. ;)

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Poncho's :depressed: they make you all sweaty and horrible.Prefer to motor through and dry off later.After all it's just Liquid sunshine.Not the freezing sleeting suicidal rain we have here.

Exactly... The rains come down hard and fast most of the times so its either getting into a shop, a queue thats covered, or pavillion if at EP, but if the rain gets you those ponchos turn into mini saunas. Now DW is in a more difficult situation being in a w/c and cant dry off as easily as me, so she does cover up in an extra large poncho that covers both her and the w/c as much as she can.

Bairstow

If I don't expect rain, I usually keep a disposable poncho in my back pocket. You never know in Florida.

If I DO expect rain, I go ahead and bring a lightweight rain jacket. Ponchos are handy in a pinch but pathetically flimsy and uncomfortable in actual practice. There's no real reason at Disney's parks not to have at least one person in your party carry a backpack, and you can stuff several rain jackets into one. Otherwise, tie it around your waist when not wearing it. Like @The Mom said, having a cap with a bill will make any rain gear with a hood work a lot better.

Sandals with nylon straps and rubber footbeds, like chacos or tevas, are ideal for rainy weather, since you can walk through puddles and they will immediately start drying out.

At theme parks I usually keep at least one zip lock bag in my pocket for my phone or wallet, both for water rides and possible rain.

If possible, shorts made of synthetic, quick-drying material are better than cotton. Ditto with underwear- if you anticipate getting wet, something tighter and made of synthetics will dry sooner and prevent chafing. Underarmour athletic stuff, or anything similar will be way more comfortable than cotton.

Last edited:

Disney4family

We purchased WDW windbreaker jackets (yes, they have hoods). They're perfect for the rain, they fold up nicely in the backpack & they dry super fast.
1535048130606.jpeg

We also use a clear backpack that's waterproof and great for zipping through security.
1535048270742.jpeg

LeighM

I always take the disposable ponchos but never use them. I prefer wearing clothes that dry quickly, my Teva sandals, my rain jacket, and a small umbrella. I always take a small LeSportsac bag (also waterproof lol) into the parks to hold my umbrella. I get way too hot in those ponchos so I need to use things that can breathe esp in the FL humidity.

geekza

I'm going the week of Thanksgiving. I know that it is typically fairly dry down in Orlando that time of the year. Should we even bother with rain gear?

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm going the week of Thanksgiving. I know that it is typically fairly dry down in Orlando that time of the year. Should we even bother with rain gear?

Yes. It is usually dry, but also is a time of year when we get Nor'easters. You could also keep a close eye on the weather, and be prepared to toss a raincoat/poncho in at the last minute - or wear something rainproof as your travel jacket - it can be chilly in the morning. And when the sun goes down. November can be summer weather, or typical NE spring/fall. Probably won't be cold. ;)

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00....MIuZrsw4-G3QIVTD0MCh1qHgaeEAQYAiABEgL0t_D_BwE

This is my travel jacket that I use except in the winter.

Bairstow

Maybe it's just the eagle scout in me, but I can't imagine traveling anywhere without rain gear. I could schedule a trip to the Gobi and there would still be gore-tex in my bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom