best clothes for rain...

Mousey21

Thin shorts and top, we had disposable ponchos in the bag and a small umbrella, if I wasn’t wearing flip flops already I put a pair in the bag to change into when the clouds came because they dry really easily. I ended up ripping the poncho off and just going with the umbrella at one point though because It was so stuffy.

danyoung56

Keep in mind that it is Florida, and can be hot and stuffy even when raining. I'm not big on the ponchos, as I really break a sweat when wearing one. Unless it's really coming down, I'll usually get by with a small umbrella.

Phonedave

If I don't expect rain, I usually keep a disposable poncho in my back pocket. You never know in Florida.

If I DO expect rain, I go ahead and bring a lightweight rain jacket. Ponchos are handy in a pinch but pathetically flimsy and uncomfortable in actual practice. There's no real reason at Disney's parks not to have at least one person in your party carry a backpack, and you can stuff several rain jackets into one. Otherwise, tie it around your waist when not wearing it. Like @The Mom said, having a cap with a bill will make any rain gear with a hood work a lot better.

Sandals with nylon straps and rubber footbeds, like chacos or tevas, are ideal for rainy weather, since you can walk through puddles and they will immediately start drying out.

At theme parks I usually keep at least one zip lock bag in my pocket for my phone or wallet, both for water rides and possible rain.

If possible, shorts made of synthetic, quick-drying material are better than cotton. Ditto with underwear- if you anticipate getting wet, something tighter and made of synthetics will dry sooner and prevent chafing. Underarmour athletic stuff, or anything similar will be way more comfortable than cotton.

The first few points are what I do as well.

If the weather calls for maybe a brief shower, then I just take a fold up cheap poncho.

If the weather looks like I am going to be wearing rain gear for most of the day, I take my good rain jacket. It packs down into its own pocket, not quite as small as a disposable poncho, but still pretty compact. Maybe the size of a small paperback book. The thing is, it breathes. It is comfortable to wear for hours. It also has an adjustable hood with bill. In other words water does not get into your face, and the hood does not blow back. It also has pockets. and it fits better than a poncho, so you stay drier.

I don't bother with sandals, or quick drying clothes. I have enough of them for hiking, and running, but I don't feel the need for them in the parks.

-dave

ppet

My wife keeps a poster on her wall that says:
"Some people dance in the rain,
Others just get wet."
Learn to dance and don't worry about it.:cool:

danyoung56

One of the coolest sights I ever saw was in the Magic Kingdom. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see the castle from the train station. I was hanging out on the 2nd level of the station, just waiting for the rain to slack off, when down Main Street I see 3 little guys, probably brothers, all wearing bright yellow raincoats and hats, and just stomping in every puddle they could find! There was such joy in their play that it made me forget about the rain for a few minutes.

righttrack

I remember trying to get into the room at the Poly during one big afternoon storm. The rain just dumps over the side of the roof like a massive waterfall. You weren't just worried about getting wet, you were worried that the weight of the water would knock you over. That's how it rains down there. Ponchos though, cheap ones you bring from home, are the best.

crawale

If Im packing for possible showers should I pack a poncho or raincoat? is that all I'll need? Are there cheap ones there or would I be best buying before I go?
Any Disney shopping location will give you a clear plastic bag so you can put your ponchos in it when the rain stops. Restaurants and rides make you remove your poncho so the bag keeps you from getting wet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom