Best age to start trips to Disney?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
What do you guys think the earliest age you can bring your kids to Disney is, and still have fun yourself? haha.

Our first child made his first trip at 8 months. We had a great time. Second child made his first trip at 3 months. We had a great time. Conclusion: Once mom has recovered from the birth, you're good.

Of course, it should be noted that we had to temper our expectations, but as frequent visitors, it was no problem for us to do the thrill rides less often, use baby swap, and accomodate baby sleeping schedules.

Allygator

I do think it depends on the child. My daughter's first trip was when she was three. We enjoyed watching all the parades. That was more of a slower pace vacation. We just went in September and she's 8. I had so much fun with her with the bigger rides.

catnrob

There are a lot of factors to concider. My wife and I are taking our first trip in our 12 years of marriage. Not just our first Disney trip but our first trip period. Our 3 year old will be staying home with grandma so we can enjoy. Plus finances are tight and we don't know when we will be able to afford to go again. If we can only go two or three times ever I want my son to be old enough to remember. If we could afford yearly trips I'd take him young but that just isn't happening.

Lucky

Unfortunately, I've encountered some pretty judgemental attitudes around here on this subject. Most of the time, it's people judging folks like us for leaving the kid(s) at home, but I've seen the other exteme, too, where people judge those who DO take their infants. I've seen people basically accuse others of being selfish and not thinking of their babies if they DO take them to WDW, and I've encountered plenty of people who almost accuse us of being unfit parents if we do NOT take the baby with us. My personal preference is to find someone to keep the baby unti he/she is old enough (around 3 or so, in my opinion), but I just think it would be nice if people could just respect those who don't share their opinion on the matter. I don't judge those who take their baby to WDW, and I wish others wouldn't judge us for feeling the opposite way.
I agree. Personally I don't think I would have enjoyed bringing a baby, but if that works for someone else that's their business. And I couldn't imagine going without kids once they're 3 -- if they're 2, I would just hold off on the trip for a while like you did -- but again that's just me.

sbkline

I agree. Personally I don't think I would have enjoyed bringing a baby, but if that works for someone else that's their business. And I couldn't imagine going without kids once they're 3 -- if they're 2, I would just hold off on the trip for a while like you did -- but again that's just me.

Well, we didn't hold off on the trip, we just held off on taking the 2 year old with us until he was older. :lol:

Since we got married the only years we haven't gone are 2006 and 2009. 2006 because that's when our son was born and we needed the vacation time and money for those expenses, not to mention that we go in April and the baby was born in May and my wife was way pregnant at that time.

2009 because that's the year our daughter was born, and all the same reasons I just gave from 2006...except she was born in June rather than May. But either way my wife was big and pregnant at the time that we normally would have gone.

But ya, now that our son is old enough and has gone and is fixing to go next month, I can't imagine going down without him. For our 10 year anniversary in 2013, my wife wants to stay at the Grand Floridian and at first she wanted it to be just the two of us. But I reminded her how well that would go over with the kids. After going in 2010, 2011 (next month) and 2012 (hopefully, since we try to go every April), I'm sure our son wouldn't be very receptive to his parents going off to WDW without him. And next year will be our daughter's first trip, and she probably wouldn't be very happy with us either by then if we went off without her after she experienced it for the first time the year before. :ROFLOL:

Nacho Libre

I have two children almost exactly one year apart in age. We began the Disney tradition with them when they were 4 and 5 years old- and we've NEVER missed a year since. For me personally, every trip is better than the last so they're all good- although sharing them with their significant others takes some patience. They just won't run like we do. Up at 5:30 in the parks at opening time and there until the last blessed minute of extra magic hours- barring a late night TS meal. then the same thing again. I have been known to nap on TS Island, something I highly recommend.

The most memorable moment from when the boys were kids: Peter Pan when they were 8 and 9 years old and the Muppets 3d- same trip. of course our obligitory Chef mickey visit(s) are always knock outs.

I vote 9 ish- but there really isn't a BAD age to visit Disney parks.:wave:

bmarkelon

We've got 3 Disney kiddos and their first trip got younger and younger. My first DD's first trip was at 14 months, my monkey in middle DS's first trip was at 11 months and we just took our 3rd DD on her first trip at 5 months. Every single one of these trips was magical, no regrets at all for bringing them young. Like it's been mentioned you just adjust your trip planning around their needs. Disney is seriously for all ages and can be done at any age stress free. I love it and could not imagine not taking these trips each year with our sweet little ones. (that is said w/o passing judgement on those that do, just my personal feeling)
With all of that being said and seeing each age up to 6 years now in the world I think that their most magical trip is somewhere between 2 1/2-3 1/2. Seeing the magic of believing in their eyes in beautiful. I get so choked up seeing Disney through their eyes. I always encourage my friend's with young families to experience this. :)

redfive13

We took our daughter when she was 10 months and then at 21 months. We are currently planning another trip with her for her 3 yr birthday. My wife and I have gone to WDW a lot, but some of our best trips were with our daughter. She forces you to slow down and she gets excited about things we may take for granted...

kch4095

Just make sure to go while it's still magical for them. We took our oldest son on his 4th birthday. He always loved Buzz Lightyear and had carried a doll since he could walk. I will always have the special memory of him riding Buzz Lightyear for the first time and then walking out and seeing the real Buzz walking to his meet and greet spot. My son immediately took off running and jumped in his arms. It is my favorite Disney memory and picture. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it! We returned again when he was 6 and our youngest was 3. We took advantage of the early openings and then would come in to swim and nap in the heat of the day. We would then hit the parks again when the sun went down. Both boys have been 5-6 times since then and remember every trip. However, they are 10 & 7 now and have outgrown the characters and the kiddie rides, so our trips now are very different.

bmarkelon

Just make sure to go while it's still magical for them. We took our oldest son on his 4th birthday. He always loved Buzz Lightyear and had carried a doll since he could walk. I will always have the special memory of him riding Buzz Lightyear for the first time and then walking out and seeing the real Buzz walking to his meet and greet spot. My son immediately took off running and jumped in his arms. It is my favorite Disney memory and picture. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it! We returned again when he was 6 and our youngest was 3. We took advantage of the early openings and then would come in to swim and nap in the heat of the day. We would then hit the parks again when the sun went down. Both boys have been 5-6 times since then and remember every trip. However, they are 10 & 7 now and have outgrown the characters and the kiddie rides, so our trips now are very different.
This is exactly what I tell any of my friends that are hesitant to make the trip with little ones. You just have to experience a trip is way with your children. I get misty eyed thinking back on these memories too! :)

The Mom

Premium Member
What do you guys think the earliest age you can bring your kids to Disney is, and still have fun yourself? haha.

18. :lol:

Seriously, up until age 10 or so, you really have to make it about the kids if you don't want meltdowns. But if you realize that you have to move at their pace, around their interests most of the time (all of the time if they're pre-school) you can still have a great vacation.

Your "do everything you want to do" days will come sooner than you think! (only 5 months until an empty nest)

Nemo14

My youngest daughter's first trip was at 10 days old and we had a great time.

You really have the question backwards. It is not "What age should the kids be before they go?" It is really "I am I ready to do what I need to do to make sure that my X year old child and I have fun" You really need to modify the way you do WDW when kids of any age are put into the mix. Gone are the days of getting up at 6:00 AM and hitting the parks commando style until midnight. You need to slow things down a bit and take it at their pace. With kids you need to take time out for naps, swimming, bathroom breaks etc. When you are ready to do that then your kids are old enough regardless of their age.

18. :lol:

Seriously, up until age 10 or so, you really have to make it about the kids if you don't want meltdowns. But if you realize that you have to move at their pace, around their interests most of the time (all of the time if they're pre-school) you can still have a great vacation.

Your "do everything you want to do" days will come sooner than you think! (only 5 months until an empty nest)

I totally agree! When the kids are young, you really need to pace your vacations around their needs (and you'll still have a blast!). They do grow up though, and you'll have plenty of time for those "couples" vacations before you know it. Enjoy those kids while you can!

olinecoach61

We have been debating when to bring our daughter since she was born. Originally it was at 5 years old, then 4, now its 3! We are going July 2012 she'll be 3 1/2. Can't wait!!!

Silver Figment

I think it depends on what you want, you could start as soon as 2 or maybe as late as 4. My opinion is that i wouldn't want to bring a baby who is only 1 to WDW.

woodsjen99

Our son was born August 2008 and has been 3 times already and we are going back in November!! His first trip was with my family! And he does have an older sister!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Walking age. Once they are old enough to go without the aide of a stroller.

Then again I don't have kids yet, so what the heck do I know. I know I'll never be able to stay away from WDW, so I'll be bringing them before they are ready I'm sure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Walking age. Once they are old enough to go without the aide of a stroller.

Then again I don't have kids yet, so what the heck do I know. I know I'll never be able to stay away from WDW, so I'll be bringing them before they are ready I'm sure.
In my pre-kid days I always thought "Who in their right mind would bring a small kind to Disney?" Then I had kids of my own, and well....... the rest is as they say, history.

TheJonesys

Our first trip with our children, our DD was just 4 and DS was 7, we deliberately didn't take a stroller, and DD walked everywhere without complaint, however as others said we took the holiday at their pace and had lots of breaks. I am glad that we had been to Disney as a couple before having the children, because we didn't feel the need to to do all the fast rollercoasters as we had done them before, we just chilled and enjoyed what they wanted to do.

I think as long as you take it easy you'll enjoy yourselves whatever the childrens age :)

ashley_marie

I would say once they are potty trained.
I know I wouldn't want to be changing diapers at WDW.

Then again, I'm only a teenager so kids are a LONG way off for me and I've only been with kids for 10 hours at a time max. :ROFLOL:

Ultimately it depends on what the parents are willing to put up with and how the child is going to react to situations that will likely arise in WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom