Ben's Trip Report (Dec. 11 to 18)

So, here it is. The stuff that Disney fans enjoy reading about and living vicariously through when they themselves cannot make it down to Disney. I'll be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. And of course, as anybody would want to do at the AKL, I have reserved a Savannah View room. I am very happy for that fact.

As some may know, this trip has been about a year in the making thus far. Since then, I've changed jobs, and all my friends who said they would be going with me have had to drop out from one reason or another. In fact, I'll be taking one of them (now an ex-friend) to small claims court to collect the deposit money I so nicely put down for him. However, my parents know how much this trip has meant to me and my mother will be coming down with me instead.

As for food, there have been some changes to the dining reservations recently as some of my mother didn't like some of the restaurants, and others I had only made so I could see how other people reacted (ie the 50's Prime Time Cafe). So, as I mentioned before, I will be down from the 11th to the 18th, and I will be eating well. Here is my list, lunch listed first, dinner second, starting with the day we fly down.

The Mara - Hollywood Brown Derby
Liberty Tree Tavern - Jiko: The Cooking Place
Yak and Yeti - California Grill
Coral Reef Restaurant - Via Napoli
Kona Cafe - Restaurant Marrakesh
Tony's Town Square - Rose and Crown
[in the air] - Yachtsman Steakhouse

Of course, I have a full schedule set up to maximize EMH and see all the shows and fireworks that I want to. Coming down with me, in terms of media recording will be my Nikon D60 with an 18-55mm VR lens, 55-200mm VR lens and a 10.5mm fisheye lens (which I will be renting). Also making the trip will be my GoPro HERO Wide with wrist strap for video on rides, and an iPhone 4 that I have yet to purchase. This trip, one way or another, will be well documented. In addition to updating my blog (hopefully I'll be able to find myself some Internet so I can), I'll be posting plenty of pictures on Twitter, much (I'm sure) to the jealousy of the coworkers who follow my Twitter account. I have already had requests to take pictures of the food back on WDWMagic, and so most of those will be on the iPhone (as I'm not Tom and don't have the balls to bust out the DSLR at dinner), but I will, of course, listen to ideas that other people have. I would love to get a couple of shots through the NVGs at the Night Savannah Viewings at AKL, however. Overall, as I stated initially, this trip has been over a year in the making, and I am really looking forward to getting down to Disney and enjoying it myself.

As of yesterday, I have officially hit the two month mark (technically 61 days). The good news is that I'll be more than happy to take and upload tons of pictures to Twitter and MobileMe; the bad news is that I won't be purchasing internet while I'm down there so I'll be doing all my posting here via my phone. Look for a more comprehensive, Tom Bricker style report post trip.

Oh, also just found out my wake-up time for the day we're flying down. 4AM. And that's leaving from my parents' house, which is closer to the airport than the house I currently live in (I have moved, so I haven't been able to blog-post recently). So it appears that I will be sleeping at my parents' house the night before. Flight leaves at 6:45AM and arrives at 9:50AM. At least I'll be at the parks nice and early, but man, 4AM is a scary wake-up time!

We'll be leaving from Bradley Hartford-Springfield (BDL). Big enough to have a goodly amount of flights, but not so small as to be effected by poor winter weather (our worry for something like Westchester).

Also, I was at work yesterday when Mom realized we were two months out and so I got that text message. Shortly after I acknowledged that I already had realized the timeframe, she texted me with the following. I almost typed it out, but it's more fun if you read it yourself, haha.

5075359658_bec9651916_o.jpg

deltableh

Original Poster
You're very welcome! I always try to accomidate.

This trip, I might have gone a little ND and tripod crazy. Here's yet another of that combo:

At least the working over I did for the picture made those stars in the background pop.

deltableh

Original Poster
I like this picture a lot. Always fun when you forget about taking a picture and then you find it when you're looking through your pictures!

cathyy

WOW!!! I love all of your pictures! They are just breathtaking!! I don't post much but couldn't resist. My family (first visit) stayed at AKL this past April, what a beautiful resort.

LeafsFanNL

Wow just love those pictures.

I love that "alarm" ring tone. I used it on our first day back in Dec when we went for a short kip. Didn't want to miss our FP return for Soarin'

I used a similar ring tone from Alien that you hear in the GMR, "The emergency destruct sequence is now activated." around the holidays, now it the "Bananaphone" one.

HB

foreverbelle

Fabulous photos. Really great job.

I to love when you flip the calender over to see its the month that your going on vacation. its an awesome feeling.

Thank you for sharing the great photos and your trip.

Soaringirl

Wow your photos are amazing!! My favorite is the ceiling from the China Pavillion, but they are all so beautiful. You could make them into postcards.
Thanks for sharing your trip.:)

deltableh

Original Poster
The correct answer would be It's A Small World!

Here is day two:

Day Two - Dec. 12, 2010

Rise and shine! After an awesome, but long, day, we were up to hit the Magic Kingdom. It started the cool-into-cold days at Disney, with a chilly morning. I wore my fleece. We were there shortly after opening, and not wanting to deal with the rush of the crowds, and did a little eating and shopping first. I even got a replacement Mickey Mouse tie for the one that has gone missing after two moves. From there, it was onto Tomorrowland, which is so much more fun than I remembered. We went on Buzz Lightyear spin, and I won. Then, Mom demanded a rematch, so I racked up 999,999 points on her. She called me a cheater. She did end up getting the last laugh, though, as the next ride we went on was my first ever ride on Space Mountain. I don't do roller coasters. I've never liked them. But I was told that Space Mountain wasn't that bad, and I know that it was just redone, and I'm 24 years old now, so I decided it was time to try it.

IMG_0052.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/wdwben/IMG_0069.png

Yeah, didn't like it. Last roller coaster I'll ever do. I'm sorry, I know that there are some great ones out there, and there are people that swear by coasters, but I don't like it for the same reason I can only go on Hollywood Tower of Terror once a vacation... the drops. I really, really don't like the feeling of my stomach being in my throat. I'll do positive G-forces all day long. I'll get thrown side to side and be thrilled, and I'll enjoy the Tea Cups. But I don't like having my stomach in my throat.

So, after that terrifying experience, we decided to do a nice, calm ride for my sake, so we walked to Toon Town and hitched the train around to Frontierland. What a nice, relaxing trip. It allowed me to fight my stomach back down to where it belonged.

IMG_0054.jpg

And then, headed over to something less terrifying (but maybe moreso, woooo!), and something I really wanted to do: the Haunted Mansion. I love that ride. It's cheesy but I love every minute of it. But before that, , it was time to take some pictures, and that's when I found Frontierland Donald Duck! Hooray! Picture opportunity for Ben. So I queued up behind a slew of 5 year olds and waited my turn. I now have a new Facebook picture, in my defense.

I also took the time to stop and grab some pictures, even long exposure, of the Haunted Mansion from afar. And then we rode. What a fun, fun ride. Only bummer was the graveyard was blocked off for some reason. I couldn't see it, and that was a bummer for me because I couldn't take any pictures of it. I had some great bokeh ideas, but they didn't pan out. I still got to ride with a ghost, and I smiled. That is what Disney is all about!

IMG_0055.jpg

And then it was time for It's A Small World. For some reason, I used to not like this ride. But this time, I really enjoyed it. Plus, I busted out the iPhone 4 for some HD video action, which then got MMS'd out to friends and family. My dad especially got a kick out of it (sarcasm, he hates the song, but it was the perfect stealth attack!). My sister, however, at college studying for finals appreciated the video popping up in her e-mail inbox. Technology rules.

Coming out of It's A Small World was a surprise... it was raining! A cold downpour squall hit, and just at the wrong time; our reservations at The Liberty Tree were almost upon us. After a quick trip, jaunting from cover to cover to get over to Liberty Square. We ducked in early, but were taken early as well. I got the clam chowder, which passed muster from a New Englander. It also was warm and filling, so that was also super helpful in the cold weather.

The rain had just about cleared up after lunch, but just to make sure, we headed over to The Country Bear Jamboree. That made Dad less angry at us, after he got a few MMS pictures of the show. And we came out to more annoying drizzle. After making our way down Mainstreet USA, stopping to watch the glass artists for a bit, I had the bright idea to head over to the Grand Floridian to check out the Gingerbread House. It was huge, and amazing. I wish I had been less enamored with my fisheye, though, and had more time to run around taking pictures. I got a few good ones, but I'm learning I need another set of eyes with me at times to give me ideas. Oh well, next trip!

IMG_0059.jpg

And then it was time to head to the hotel. Mom and I were both tired, so she napped and I looked at some pictures I had taken, and chatted with a few friends. Dinner was at our hotel, so that was nice and relaxing.

Jiko is one of my favorite restaurants, but it let me down a couple of times that night. First off, the menu had changed since I was there two years prior, so I couldn't have the wonderful ostrich I wanted again. However, the crazy good wild boar made up for that. The bummer still was the lack of the Savanna Dry hard cider I tried last time. It was from South Africa, and very good. The rest of dinner was quite good, however, right down to the dessert that looked like seared tuna, but was actually peppermint cheesecake. Very yummy! Also, the that I am got more of that amazing Animal Kingdom Lodge naan bread. This would become a trend.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

After dinner, I decided to brave the cold and head out to Hollywood Studios again for Extra Magic Hours, also in hopes of riding Toy Story Midway Mania early. Well, that didn't pan out, but I did get lovely pictures of the Osborne Lights with hardly anybody there. Additionally, I got my Hat shots, as much as I hate the stupid Hat, with my tripod. I wanted some more pictures of the Tower of Terror, but it was getting cold and Mom was getting tired. So with that, we headed back to the hotel, and called it a night!

deltableh

Original Poster
I've been slacking on posting pictures from my Flickr account. Hope you've been enjoying the Trip Report, I'll try to get another day or two done tomorrow on my day off!

deltableh

Original Poster
No, nobody missed anything. The snow sorta got in the way. I live in the Northeast (Connecticut, actually), so we've been getting smacked with snow recently. In all seriousness, we're actually running out of space to put all the snow when we clear it!

Additionally, I do want to apologize for my irratic reports. I work for a certain technology company that also has the name of a fruit. I love what I do, but it's a 50 minute drive each way, and my hours sometimes keep me late, and when I get home, all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep. I will try, emphasis on try, to start the next day on my breaks today. I truly am sorry I've not been more reliable. Thank you for hanging with me; I am writing the reports off the top of my head so sometimes the prose doesnt flow as easily as others.

I have, however, been getting back into my photo routine, so here are two more updates:

Happy Fireworks Friday, folks!

Lovharvey

You should really consider doing post cards for a living. Your pictures are so good. They remind me so much of post cards. I bet you could make a killing.:wave::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom