Because of Slappy

Montyboy

I live in PA and have a few airport options. Since there are two of us, when we go to Disney, we fly. I'm not so sure what we would do if we were a family of four.

Is it a tough decision for you to fly or drive? What's the deal breaker: time, money...?

Members from the UK don't have to answer, but can if you want.

DisneyPirate85

I have done both flew and drove, It has advantage's both ways, I can leave Indianapolis at 6:00 am, flight time has been the same since the mid 1990's arrive in Orlando bout 9:15, and have the whole day at the World. However the last 3 years we have drove, bout 14 hours. I enjoy the drive there VERY much it helps to start the DESTRESS of being a Police Officer/ 911 Dispatcher, There is a place in Tn that I actually feel the stress just drain out and from there the remaining 8 hours is nothing. Having 7 children, we are a combined family from marriage, and hectic life I actually rediscover my BEAUTIFULL wife and get to have wonderfull quiet conversations with her and remember just why it is I Love Her. This is the 1st year we have taken children with us since we got married and worked well. The kids understand that cost wise 2 per trip is the way to go and they will all get a chance. However all that said when we take the little one's, 8 and 6, we will definately fly. SORRY I rambled a little but but you get the idea...:hammer:

OH and SlappyMagoo left yesterday for the world made a teasing post before departing.

Upvote 0

kennyj29

I'm from LI also, have done Islip but live much closer to JFK. We have driven down with the kids twice. The second time I almost fell asleep at the wheel....NEVER AGAIN! My poor husband ended up driving almost the whole way down. He WILL NOT STOP overnight! I told him from now on flying is the ONLY option!

Upvote 0

LudwigVonDrake

I fly out of MacArthur Airport in Islip, NY on every trip. Southwest can't be beat even if coming home from WDW last month, the flight attendants were bad mouthing each other in the back of the plane where I was sitting :)

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

We live about and hour south of Pittsburgh, and drove our first two trips. DH doesn't mind driving - he's hauled a load of horses to Ocala 13 hours nonstop, and driven straight home the next day. Our next 2 trips were just DD and myself - once when she was 9 and this last time she was 17. Just made more sense for the two of us to fly.

Upvote 0

scpergj

I drive... because as expensive as gas is, it's still less than plan fare for us... plus a Tampa to Orlando flight seems to be a bit ridiculous. :ROFLOL:

Yeah...same here. That, and we're an hour plus from the house to the Jacksonville airport. By the time you factor in the drive and all the rest, much shorter to drive!!:lol:

Upvote 0

MinnieMommy

We've always drove and anytime I mention the possibility of flying, my wife will have none of it.

But it's kind of fun to see the usual sights along the way, and talk about previous drives down, point out places we've stopped before, make fun of "Cafe Risque", etc. :lol:

This is sooo funny, I will not fly, so we drive every time! We always laugh at all of "The Cafe Risque" signs. I love the ones that say, "Couples Welcome" - yeah right!! Anyway, on a trip without kids last summer, we pulled off for gas at a gas station right across the street from "Cafe Risque"!! I almost peed my pants. We took a photo of the building and sign. It was hysterical!! :lol:

Edit: My husband pointed out that I didn't mention we ACCIDENTALLY stopped at that exit for gas. We had no idea it was the same exit. That makes it extra funny after years of driving past the 50 signs for the place!!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Well, now I finally can add to this kind of thread. We have been going to WDW since 1997, and in 15 visits we have only taken to the air. Now because of airfare prices this summer we figured it would cost less to drive. Had the wifes car worked on, rented a roof bag, which gave us enough room in the back to keep the travel fridge with plenty of snacks. The drive was alittle tedious, but overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And while we were there having the car with us came in very handy, especially when we had a short time to get to two meals that were planned, 1 at the WL, and the other at AKL, soooo convienent. And because we drove we didn't have to leave 3 hours early to get to the airport to wait another 2 hours to get on a plane that may or may not leave on time. Don't get me wrong, if I have the chance to fly for an affordable price I'll jump on it, hey 3 to 5 hours in a plane, or 2 days in a car with the crazy family???? :veryconfu Gee, how hard is that? Also, you can take back more souvies than if you fly because you now have the room and no restrictions.

Upvote 0

Maria

Slappy Magoo started a thread, "Sayonara, suckers" where he is driving 20 hours from NJ to Disney.

This is sooo funny, I will not fly, so we drive every time! We always laugh at all of "The Cafe Risque" signs. I love the ones that say, "Couples Welcome" - yeah right!! Anyway, on a trip without kids last summer, we pulled off for gas at a gas station right across the street from "Cafe Risque"!! I almost peed my pants. We took a photo of the building and sign. It was hysterical!! :lol:

Now you have me curious about it! :confused:

Upvote 0

MinnieMommy

Well, now I finally can add to this kind of thread. We have been going to WDW since 1997, and in 15 visits we have only taken to the air. Now because of airfare prices this summer we figured it would cost less to drive. Had the wifes car worked on, rented a roof bag, which gave us enough room in the back to keep the travel fridge with plenty of snacks. The drive was alittle tedious, but overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And while we were there having the car with us came in very handy, especially when we had a short time to get to two meals that were planned, 1 at the WL, and the other at AKL, soooo convienent. And because we drove we didn't have to leave 3 hours early to get to the airport to wait another 2 hours to get on a plane that may or may not leave on time. Don't get me wrong, if I have the chance to fly for an affordable price I'll jump on it, hey 3 to 5 hours in a plane, or 2 days in a car with the crazy family???? :veryconfu Gee, how hard is that? Also, you can take back more souvies than if you fly because you now have the room and no restrictions.

We found this to be true also. We always drive, but until last year had always used Disney transportation anyway. Last December was our first trip with me in a wheelchair, so we used our van all of the time. It was just easier that way. Anyway, we were surprised at how easy it was to get around property. It saved us tons of time getting to many of our dining ressies!!

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Would never consider driving, 18 hours in a car from Eastern PA , no thanks, I used to almost fall asleep with a 90 minute commute to and from work , 18 hours in the car with my girlfreind driving, not to mention I know I'd have to drive through Philly, DC-Baltimore area and probably all of Northern VA, no thanks and not to mention I'd probably have to drive up to North Jersey the day before to leave my crazy little puppy at my moms, no way.

I'll just drive to Jersey drop dog off at mom's house and have brother take me and gf to Newark for a flight and be at Disney in a few hours relaxing by the pool of my resort or on a ride. Nothing like watching the sun rise over NYC and then watching fireworks over the MK the same night.

Upvote 0

alexaveryq

We live 8 hours away, and we always drive. We are 1-1.5 hours from the Atlanta airport, and with parking (and paying for) the car for the week, going through security, checking bags, etc., it would take almost as long to fly as to drive. Plus, my husband likes to sleep for a few hours the night before and get up around 2-3a.m. and start the drive. The kids don't wake up until about 7a.m., and by then we're halfway there!

Upvote 0

chels26

we live about 20 minutes away from Newark Airport and 45 minutes away from JFK. My family has never driven down, we have always flown. It's also due to the fact that we always travel with 30 ish people. It's easier for us. Round trip for 5 people was about 1000. When you think about it, if you stop at a decent hotel over night, both ways, add in all the gas that you get.. and snacks... and breakfasts lunches and dinners... it could end up to that same amount.

Upvote 0

Scooter

It's just my wife and I now that the kids have grown and we always fly.

It's a no brainer for us.... 2 1/2 hours flying versus 20 hours driving.

I can't even sit still for a 21/2 hour movie so driving would be horrible for me.
I'm also prone to road rage these days. It just seems like more and more people have forgotten the rules of the road lately.

I can see where if you had more than 2 kids flying could be cost prohibitive.

I feel sorry for people who are afraid to fly though. It's an awesome experience and such a time saver.

We used to rent a car when we went, but now with Magical Express, and all the on property Disney Transportation options, we don't. On our last trip when we rented a car, it just sat in the Resort parking lot the whole week we were there.

Upvote 0

cooky11111

We have 5 of us, one under 2 (so now she flies for free) but we were going to drive because of the cost of air. I found an excellent deal out of Philly for $49 each way so for that price with Gas the high price that it is and stopping to eat etc... I don't think we can drive much cheaper then then the flights. We do have to drive about 4 hours to Philly but it is definitely worth it then to drive 22 hours with three kids.:lol:

Upvote 0

jim1051

We always drive. Ever since we had a 6 hour delay in Phila, If we had left for FL the same time we left for the airport, we would have arrived at the same time, with our own car. and since there were 5 of us, we would have had a lot more cash.

We drive now, just wife and I usually, she reads/sleeps, I drive, 15 hours. The 2.5 hour flight is at least a 7.5 hour commitment in time for us. I look at airfare every trip, but I never seem to find the really cheap fares, when we want to travel.

Upvote 0

Boray

Before we had kids, my husband and I would fly and rent a car. Now, with 2 kids (8 and 5) we drive (yes, 20 hours) every year. Estimated cost to fly and rent a car is $1300 for the 4 of us for a week. Driving our minivan the past two years has cost less than $700 round trip (including one night stay in a hotel each way). We don't stop for food, we take a cooler of food and drinks. We usually get about 15-16 hours of driving done the first day, and arrive early afternoon on day two which is an excuse for us to dedicate time to shopping in DTD. Our children love the drive because we leave before the sun is up (which they think is very cool) and I give them special gifts along the trip. Also, we set up the DVD player, so they get to watch movies and have fun the whole ride. My kids can get rather boisterous, I think I'd expell more energy trying to keep them quiet and not disturb other passengers on an airplane then I do in our own vehicle. Also, it's a great way for my husband and I to take some time talk to one another.

We pack the van the night before, and we're gone within 45 minutes of waking up. No security checks, no hauling things through the airport (yuck!) and no lines of people. I can stop and stretch my legs anytime I want (I don't like the close quarters of an airplane.)

We still get plenty of time in the parks, and we save money so we can go again the next year. If we flew we wouldn't have as much money to go as often as we do. Besides, we go in October, and the drive is very beautiful with all of the trees changing colors. The mountains of Tennessee are breathtaking.

Upvote 0

dragonfox98

Hey everyone! I read the posts and must say I'm impressed with all of you who drive. I would probably like the experience of driving the 18+ hours to Orlando, but I figure we save regarding time and convenience. The Philly airport is only 20 minutes away for us and we have my mom and stepdad who can drop us off and pick us up (the one thing they actually help on) - so we don't have to pay for airport parking.

However, this year I got a better deal flying out of Atlantic City. The drive is twice as long (40+ minutes rather than 20), but the airfare was an awesome deal and we leave at the crack of dawn (we are early risers), so, all around, it works better than driving. Besides, my DH has issues driving our two kids just down the street, let alone 18 hours! :) Also, last year we had major issues with Air Tran and I told my husband I wasn't going to fly them anymore and Southwest hadn't released any good deals when I made my ressies for this year.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I have flown out of LGA, Newark and Philly, it all depends on the airfare. Even with Philly being an 1 1/2 hr drive, there were a few time it was totally worth it. This July I was able to get $118 r/t on SW from Philly.

I've done the drive twice to FL by myself, both times because I was staying for two weeks and visiting my cousin. And, while I agree you can buy big souveniers and bring them home easier, it is also bad because you are thinking in that way and tend to sometimes buy stuff that you wouldn't have normally bought.

All I know is that the next time I drive to FL, it's going to be a one way trip there!!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Slappy Magoo started a thread, "Sayonara, suckers" where he is driving 20 hours from NJ to Disney.

though, to be fair, I've been mistaken for a turd lots of times, including by members of the forum.

imho, both flying & driving have pros & cons. pros for driving include not having to deal with airport traffic, airport security, and othe airline passengers :D leaving home when we want, packing (or overpacking) what we want. And with wifey a teacher who sets her prepping schedule around the trip, we'd rent a car anyway in case a hurricane closed the parks & airports arund our return-home date.I'm sure we'll fly again, just not this time...

now why the hell am I talking to you, i've got to catch a ferry to a pirates & princesses party! Toodles, maroons!

Upvote 0

MrBug

though, to be fair, I've been mistaken for a turd lots of times, including by members of the forum.
ROFL we all had a discussion offline and decided not to make an issue of it, but RESPECT for owning up, man... :animwink:

I think though most any day I'd choose a few hours putting up with the other airline passengers (and there's always the off chance that an air marshal will deal with them too.. :lol: ) vs. many many hours dealing with the same wackos and all their cousins on the road!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom