Beast's Castle - Does it "work"?

wsmith1978

I think the problem with it is that we know it's so small, so any possible effect has already been stripped from our imaginations. While I appreciate Disney being more candid with what they're up to and the effects, I don't think thy're doing themselves any favors by "ruining the magic" so to speak. I mean, they ruined the mirror effect in Enchanted Tales by showing it to us in a video before a single person had the opportunity to visit. They posted pictures of Beast's Castle with a person standing right next to it and he's almost as tall as the Castle is. So since we know it's 15 feet tall or whatever, there's no possible way that our brains could be tricked into thinking it's any bigger.

gdLXE.jpg

It works a lot better than I was expecting it to though. I wonder what we would think if we had no idea how tall it really was though.

Good point!! I think that's the problem (if you want to call it that).

jdmdisney99

I just showed a friend a picture of Beast's Castle and she guessed it was 50 feet and then I showed her the picture of the workers with it. She was amazingly confused. :)

luv

It "works" much better when you first see it than it does up close.

I think Disney was smart to let people know it was small. When they first announced this, I thought they were building a decent size castle. I even wondered how they'd do that, what with Cinderella Castle and all. I thought it would look strange and that they would compete, etc.

I'm sure a lot of people would have heard "castle" and thought "big." Since the pics would still make it look big, it was good to let everyone know it was small so people wouldn't be disappointed or make fun of it when they saw that it was just a little thing on top of a building.

motox7

I wonder/wish there was some way that they could make some fog linger up there right below the castle almost to make it look like clouds up there and its peaking out from above the "clouds". I know this is probably not possible but I think it would help add to the forced perspective and almost make it seem like its higher up then it is. Just a thought...

HM Spectre

The perspective works from a distance very well. Up close, not as much. As has been said, it's all the angle and distance that you view it from.

Patricia Melton

I don't know if anyone here knows who this is but there is a drag performer by the name of RuPaul who has a TV show on cable. Her catchphrase is "You better work!".

When I read the title of this thread, that's what I thought of....does the Beast's castle "work", in the way that RuPaul would say it.

My answer is: YES.

I think the castle is fabulous. I also think it was the best anyone could do to create the illusion of a cartoon castle being real and far away in the distance on a mountain in a theme park in Florida. It captures the movie spirit enough to make me feel it is real in the setting.

I love it!

Patricia Melton

I just showed a friend a picture of Beast's Castle and she guessed it was 50 feet and then I showed her the picture of the workers with it. She was amazingly confused. :)

Here is the thing to remember: those of us who come on Disney fan sites like this are the distinct minority of all people in the world. Most guests going to WDW have never heard of Disney fan site forums. All the construction images and behind the scenes photos of how the castle and other effects were achieved are never going to be seen by 90% of the guests to WDW.

Actually, if you want to be really up front about things...I bet that most guests don't even realize that these new attractions were even built. They will be totally surprised they are even there...and no matter how enchanted they are by this new magic I bet few will invest the time to research the construction when they get home.

Regular people who are not fans or Disney hobbyists just don't spend their time thinking of this stuff or talking about Disney every day like regulars to these forums do.

Patricia Melton

It passes but it doesn't "work". Compare it to the one at Disneyland's storybook canal and you'll see what it should look like.

Do you have pictures of the Disneyland one you are talking about?

I looked online and can't find one. I didn't even know they had a Beauty and the Beast castle in the canal boats ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom