Beast's Castle - Does it "work"?

Mawg

A thank you to wdwmagic and jdmdisney99. Your likes just took me from an Active Member to a Well-Known Member. I feel so important now...not..but cool anyways!

MissM

Is there a story why you enter a door in some rockwork and suddenly end up in the ballroom? Is there any transitional story?
You enter into a kind of "receiving hall" of sorts.

To the right is the hallway with the touchscreens and the suits of armor.
newfantasyland-oct1312h1.jpg

To the left, is a beautiful mural of Belle and the Prince dancing:
newfantasyland-oct1312j1.jpg

There are minotaurs, chandeliers, and an archway leading to the grand ballroom.
newfantasyland-oct13-bog.jpg

newfantasyland-oct13-bog2.jpg

So it does feel like more then just a room. Keep in mind, we were only allowed to see a small part of it and only one of the three dining rooms. And a rope blocked access into the grand ballroom. It's hard to get a complete sense of the space so far on such limited previews, but there's definitely a large attention to theming.

You can see more pics here: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/2012/10/16/be-our-guest/

The Empress Lilly

Is there a story why you enter a door in some rockwork and suddenly end up in the ballroom? Is there any transitional story?
Does there need to be one?

At Disney I also enter an 18th Dutch Hudson Valley mansion through the family crypt, and suddenly I board a moving mechanical vehicle. It's fine with me, I'll give Disney my suspension of disbelief.

The little walk through the trees, across the bridge, into the rockwork at the base of the mountains below Beast's castle, to me represent a walk through the forest, up the mountain, into the castle. It works for me.

The Empress Lilly

The Paris one is the "full scale" symbol of the park vs. a 20 foot forced perspective secondary icon. It's like comparing New Fantasyland to the model that's in One Man's Dream.
See how great the miniature Beast castle in Paris is? It looks so good, one would mistake it for a 150 feet real castle. :)

Also, just for fun, speaking of full scale French castles, this is what a real French hilltop castle looks like from a distance. This one is Pierrefonds, one of the main inspirations for the greatest Disney castle of them all, Cinderella in WDW:

het-kasteel-van-pierrefonds_background_header_we_gbnl.jpg

I think the problem with it is that we know it's so small, so any possible effect has already been stripped from our imaginations. While I appreciate Disney being more candid with what they're up to and the effects, I don't think thy're doing themselves any favors by "ruining the magic" so to speak. I mean, they ruined the mirror effect in Enchanted Tales by showing it to us in a video before a single person had the opportunity to visit. They posted pictures of Beast's Castle with a person standing right next to it and he's almost as tall as the Castle is. So since we know it's 15 feet tall or whatever, there's no possible way that our brains could be tricked into thinking it's any bigger.

gdLXE.jpg

It works a lot better than I was expecting it to though. I wonder what we would think if we had no idea how tall it really was though.

RSoxNo1

I think the problem with it is that we know it's so small, so any possible effect has already been stripped from our imaginations. While I appreciate Disney being more candid with what they're up to and the effects, I don't think thy're doing themselves any favors by "ruining the magic" so to speak. I mean, they ruined the mirror effect in Enchanted Tales by showing it to us in a video before a single person had the opportunity to visit. They posted pictures of Beast's Castle with a person standing right next to it and he's almost as tall as the Castle is. So since we know it's 15 feet tall or whatever, there's no possible way that our brains could be tricked into thinking it's any bigger.

gdLXE.jpg

It works a lot better than I was expecting it to though. I wonder what we would think if we had no idea how tall it really was though.
That's an awesome photo, did you take that?

Vader2112

I think you are right if we did not know the actual height the forced perspective may work. It looks great but wish it was a little bigger.

Magic Lamp

I've applied my amateurish photoshop magic to visualize how the perspective would work for me better (based on the photographs and the entrance/bridge's placement). To compare with the original, just scroll up a bit; you be the judge:

beastcastlerevised.jpg

Personally, the added height justifies the relatively small size (and the skyline flows better), otherwise it should have been at least 1.5 or 2x bigger and more imposing.

And for the funsies, I did the same but with the castle model from Paris, just to see whether more details would work better (and I really like that model):

beastcastleexchanged.jpg

luv

Well, it doesn't fool me into thinking it is big, but they did a nice job with it. It "works" if you aren't expecting to see something really big.

When they first talked about this, I thought they were building an actual castle, but I heard (and saw) the thing here and there and never expected an actual castle...so it worked fine for me.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've applied my amateurish photoshop magic to visualize how the perspective would work for me better (based on the photographs and the entrance/bridge's placement). To compare with the original, just scroll up a bit; you be the judge:

beastcastlerevised.jpg

Personally, the added height justifies the relatively small size (and the skyline flows better), otherwise it should have been at least 1.5 or 2x bigger and more imposing.

And for the funsies, I did the same but with the castle model from Paris, just to see whether more details would work better (and I really like that model):

Brilliant!

I agree 100% that looks MUCH better

Prototype82

Now I've only seen pictures, but it looks convincing from a distance. From what I see in videos, more of the rockwork starts to obscure your view of it as you get closer, helping hide its actual size as you approach it. That seems pretty clever to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom