Be our Guest food Stinks

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
I'm sorry everyone we ate at BRG tonight. The atmosphere was great but food was on par with most of the horrible restaurants that already occupy MK. I would skip dinner and try lunch. My pork chop was inedible. All nine of us agreed everything was salty and pre cooked. Very disappointed. The service wasn't great but that's ok considering its still new. Honestly don't waste a dinner at BRG!!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm sorry everyone we ate at BRG tonight. The atmosphere was great but food was on par with most of the horrible restaurants that already occupy MK. I would skip dinner and try lunch. My pork chop was inedible. All nine of us agreed everything was salty and pre cooked. Very disappointed. The service wasn't great but that's ok considering its still new. Honestly don't waste a dinner at BRG!!!

I'd counter that wait staff (service) is easier to train than kitchen staff (production line)...

Salty and pre-cooked makes me think they may be relying on mass production and hot lamps to deal with volume...which would be a bad idea. But, plenty of places do it.

I admit, the pictures I've seen of their food as people have been going there...it doesn't look very appetizing.

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
I'd counter that wait staff (service) is easier to train than kitchen staff (production line)...

Salty and pre-cooked makes me think they may be relying on mass production and hot lamps to deal with volume...which would be a bad idea. But, plenty of places do it.

I admit, the pictures I've seen of their food as people have been going there...it doesn't look very appetizing.

It wasn't so much how it was cooked. It was the quality of food. That's why I'm trying not to blame kitchen staff.

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
Maybe I'm wrong, but product quality is the responsibility of the Kitchen Staff...

I'm not sure I understand?
What I'm saying is it has nothing to do with BRG being new and people not being trained. Disney should not even allow that quality of food in the restaurants. If I felt the food stunk because it was a newer place I wouldn't have wrote this. I just think Disney screwed its customers with this place.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What I'm saying is it has nothing to do with BRG being new and people not being trained. Disney should not even allow that quality of food in the restaurants. If I felt the food stunk because it was a newer place I wouldn't have wrote this. I just think Disney screwed its customers with this place.

I hear ya. The concept, as I read it, felt cluttered, with how they planned to manage the lunch vs dinner crowds.

But, when you say quality of food...I think that's what sticking in my mind that's holding me back...

The quality is the responsibility of the BOH manager and his staff...not just the amorphous "Disney".

If produce comes in and it's poor quality, the BOH manager should reject it. Rotation and stock control for freshness, especially of highly perishable items, needs to be managed constantly. And, preparation standards and additional quality controls for prep and assembly stations needs to be monitored.

At the end of the pass is the expediter, who's job is twofold. First, to keep the FOH staff from taking the wrong order (NOTHING will screw up a kitchen's rhythm faster than servers or delivery staff taking plates to the wrong tables, or out of order, etc.), and the second responsibility is quality.

So, their job is to keep the food, at the quality standards set by the restaurant, moving out of the window, in order, and to the proper server / tables. Hence the term "expedite".

That's why most head chefs and or BOH managers Expedite, rather than cook.

So, when you say poor quality...how is that not the responsibility of the staff there? New or not?

coachwnh

We have been there three times, and three very busy times (thanksgiving, Christmas, and Mardi Gras) and each time our food was hot and tasted great. I even had the pork my last time. We think the place is fantastic. Not sure what happened when you were there. Have two more ADRs in July and can't wait to head back.

alissafalco

If you think all the other restaurants in MK are horrible than I'm not surprised you had a problem with this one either. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Dad 2 M & M

Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience,however,curious to ask.What other horrible restaurants have you encountered at MK.? I thought " Tonys " was the only one that got mixed reviews.:(
Not sure about the "other horrible" comment either. We have encountered a few mediocre in the past (almost 2 decades), but don't remember many if more than a couple of bad experiences.
We have been there three times, and three very busy times (thanksgiving, Christmas, and Mardi Gras) and each time our food was hot and tasted great. I even had the pork my last time. We think the place is fantastic. Not sure what happened when you were there. Have two more ADRs in July and can't wait to head back.
The pork chop was great when we were there (twice just before Christmas), but the Strip steak was hit or miss. The second time we dined we exchanged a fatty Strip for a very nice pork rack. We thought the place itself was tremendous, with the food coming in at a little above average; horrible by no means. Having already experienced the "newest, hottest, hard to get ticket in WDW", we will pass on BoG until the crowds die down.
Again, horrible is a little strong.

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience,however,curious to ask.What other horrible restaurants have you encountered at MK.? I thought " Tonys " was the only one that got mixed reviews.:(
. We have been doing Disney for 20 years and I have only had one good table service meal in MK an that was at the Plaza restaurant. Liberty tree, Tony's, and the crystal palace buffet are all places I would not dine. I've never eaten at Cinderellas table so that's the only place i can't vouch for.

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
I hear ya. The concept, as I read it, felt cluttered, with how they planned to manage the lunch vs dinner crowds.

But, when you say quality of food...I think that's what sticking in my mind that's holding me back...

The quality is the responsibility of the BOH manager and his staff...not just the amorphous "Disney".

If produce comes in and it's poor quality, the BOH manager should reject it. Rotation and stock control for freshness, especially of highly perishable items, needs to be managed constantly. And, preparation standards and additional quality controls for prep and assembly stations needs to be monitored.

At the end of the pass is the expediter, who's job is twofold. First, to keep the FOH staff from taking the wrong order (NOTHING will screw up a kitchen's rhythm faster than servers or delivery staff taking plates to the wrong tables, or out of order, etc.), and the second responsibility is quality.

So, their job is to keep the food, at the quality standards set by the restaurant, moving out of the window, in order, and to the proper server / tables. Hence the term "expedite".

That's why most head chefs and or BOH managers Expedite, rather than cook.

So, when you say poor quality...how is that not the responsibility of the staff there? New or not?

I'm not sure a Disney owned restaurant is ran the same as a privately owned restaurant. From speaking to cast members over the years I have learned the food is delivered to a central location and then transported to its restaurant on the property. So the food is checked before it even arrives at BOG. I'm trying to be nice by not blaming the BoG kitchen staff. They can only work with what the higher ups at Disney supply them with. And if they are being supplied with frozen grade c pork chops then all they can really do is add tons of salt. And salt is all we tasted.

Spikerdink

. We have been doing Disney for 20 years and I have only had one good table service meal in MK an that was at the Plaza restaurant. Liberty tree, Tony's, and the crystal palace buffet are all places I would not dine. I've never eaten at Cinderellas table so that's the only place i can't vouch for.

The only one of those I have not done is the Plaza.... but my experiences at the others (and CRT) have been very good. To be honest, I find most restaurant food too salty, as I do not cook with salt at home and when I am exposed to it my taste buds pucker....but that is me and my palate, so can't vouch for others....

Sorry you had a bad experience....I am going in October and am hopeful that my experience will be better. I will report back at that time!!

jaklgreen

I'm not sure a Disney owned restaurant is ran the same as a privately owned restaurant. From speaking to cast members over the years I have learned the food is delivered to a central location and then transported to its restaurant on the property. So the food is checked before it even arrives at BOG. I'm trying to be nice by not blaming the BoG kitchen staff. They can only work with what the higher ups at Disney supply them with. And if they are being supplied with frozen grade c pork chops then all they can really do is add tons of salt. And salt is all we tasted.

I agree with this, you can only do so much with what you are given. I think most restaurants use way way too much salt. Salt is salt, salt is not "flavor". I have worked in food for 25 years and know that the quality of the product is key to a good meal. I am really not happy with Disney food service in general especially the resort food courts. If I or any of the people I work with was as slow and unorganized as they are we would get fired in a heartbeat. Half the time I feel like jumping over the counter and doing it myself.

Joseph Catalano

Original Poster
I agree with this, you can only do so much with what you are given. I think most restaurants use way way too much salt. Salt is salt, salt is not "flavor". I have worked in food for 25 years and know that the quality of the product is key to a good meal. I am really not happy with Disney food service in general especially the resort food courts. If I or any of the people I work with was as slow and unorganized as they are we would get fired in a heartbeat. Half the time I feel like jumping over the counter and doing it myself.
Everyone's trying to blame the BOG staff but it wasn't the the food was overcooked it was simply the quality of the product. But from everyone saying they liked it I guess that's what America is use to. Applebee's Fridays and chain restaurants ruined this country's view on good quality food. Looking forward to the rest of my dinners at places we all tried before. Yachtsman, via Napoli, raglan road!

taz0162

We really enjoyed BOG for Dinner Jan 2nd. Even my kids who are generally picky liked it. My wife and I each had Steaks though no the porkchops. We even ordered the meat and cheese plate appatizer. it really was an excellent way for us to cap off our 2 week stay in the MK.

bmarkelon

Hmm, I'm looking forward to this dinner in August. We just booked a last minute trip this week, we'll be there Thursday. Obviously couldn't get the sit down this short notice but I'm thinking we'll probably check out the QS for lunch. I'll let you know how it is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom