Baggage fees...both ways?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hello...have not flown since they implemented a per bag check fee...can someone here tell me if you have a roundtrip ticket if they charge you both at departure and return flight per bag? THANKS.....:lookaroun

Pioneer Hall

The problem I have is that my baggage fees are waived because I have a Continental MasterCard.

- as an aside, the card is $80 a year, but you get your first bag and the first bag of anybody traveling on your intenerary free. When my two kids and I go to WDW, that a savings of $75 each way - more than making up for the cost of the card.

anyway ... All I have to do is show the person my card and they don't charge me. I cannot call the Airline ahead of time and get a "paid" status put on my tickets for the RAC. Every time I have to stand in line at the RAC, explain to the CM that no, my fee is not paid, but that I get it waived. Then we have to call, go through a phone tree until somone at Continental says that I don't have to pay.

Not that big a hassle, but something I wish they would clear up.

-dave

I have the same card since Contiental is my choice airline (and I agree that it is great, the card has already paid for itself this year). I just showed my card at the DME baggage area the other day at the boardwalk and it was no problem. They didn't have to call continental or see a paid status. She took the bag and tagged it as normal.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I know!!! Can you stand it??? I always make sure that the airfare I am looking at either doesnt charge a bag fee (YAY Jet Blue and Southwest!) or I factor it into the cost of the ticket. I usually only bring one bag so it isnt so bad but still $23.00 to check your bag!! WOW!!! and add a $2.00 fee if you dont do it online!!!! Belle

Even though I have friends that work for both US Airways and Delta, I've told them that I will only fly Southwest and Jetblue, whenever possible, until their companies realize the mistake of charging for checked baggage. (At leats the first bag)

kayak.com now has a feature where you can tell it how many bags you'll be checking, and it factors in baggage fees into the price quotes it displays. Helps you compare actual numbers.

-Rob

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there Rob, Good for you! I also had friends who work for Continental and the same thing applies, I will choose to fly Jet Blue and Southwest whenever possible. That is a nifty tool Kayak has, thanks for the information. I just usually use a calculator, LOL!!! I had read somewhere an article on bag fees. The point of the article is that while yes the airlines that are charging are certainly gettting millions of dollars via these fees, but how are their ticket sales affected and this young lady had pointed out that the actual ticket sales are falling dramatically. So what good is a $23.00 bag fee if I am now going to another airline and not purchasing a ticket on your airline at all? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me. I actually reached out to the author to compliment her on the article. Belle

Upvote 0
I think the TSA should get involved. They should make airlines allow one free bag as long as the passenger does not have any carry-ons. (yes I realize some people need carry-ons dont flame me) That way the lines at security would be faster and less hectic. The US Govt could consider it a stimulus program to get more people flying.

Upvote 0

mjmyers10

Continental, US Air, and United all just raised their check bag fee. For our trip in May, we are just going to stuff our carry ons as much as possible. I would fly Southwest, but the flight schedule does not work out for us.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have the same card since Contiental is my choice airline (and I agree that it is great, the card has already paid for itself this year). I just showed my card at the DME baggage area the other day at the boardwalk and it was no problem. They didn't have to call continental or see a paid status. She took the bag and tagged it as normal.

Maybe they have begun to recognize the process for using the card. If so, that is great.

Thanks

-dave

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

Maybe they have begun to recognize the process for using the card. If so, that is great.

Thanks

-dave

When I departed on January 12th, Resort Airline Check-in was able to take payment for our baggage fees as they checked us in. They were also able to adjust or waive fees for others on the line. They seem to have worked out whatever obstacles were preventing them from doing this previously.

Upvote 0

muteki

Another vote for Southwest here, if it is convenient for you. No fees + sit where you want make it the best airline out there in my opinion. Only downside was (unless this changed recently) you cant do Flight Check-In at the resorts if you fly Southwest. Didn't really bother me though.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Actually Muteki, That is starting to change as well. When I was there you can do resort check in for Southwest at all four of the Value level resort meaning you can use the luggage check in as well as they will print you your boarding pass ( I am assuming they mean your number in line) Hopefully this means this will be expanded across the property soon, as the last thing I heard prior to this was that it was only available at the All Stars. Belle

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Does anyone know if they still charge the fee if your carry-on has to be checked at the gate due to lack of storage space? I prefer not to bring a large carry-on because it's such a pain to carry/wheel it around, and usually just have my purse, but if it saves almost $50....

Upvote 0

tecowdw

Does anyone know if they still charge the fee if your carry-on has to be checked at the gate due to lack of storage space? I prefer not to bring a large carry-on because it's such a pain to carry/wheel it around, and usually just have my purse, but if it saves almost $50....

The airline I generally fly announces that if your carry-ons don't fit, you will get charged for gate check. However, I've seen this waived when people (last people to get on, of course) had no room left.

I'm sure each airline has it leeway for that stuff.

Upvote 0

Rob562

If you have a "legal" carryon (meaning one that falls within the guidelines of a carryon) but there just isn't any space left in the overhead compartments, they will gate-check the bag for free.

The problem comes when too many people take carryons and the airline doesn't enforce the size rules of the carryons. Overhead space fills up faster forcing more gate-checking, and sometimes people use this as a way to get "free" checked baggage by purposely packing a bag that wouldn't physically fit in the overhead bin even if it were empty.

The airlines really need to institute at least one free checked bag per person. It would make life in the vabin so much easier. Or at least have one of the legacy carriers have the guts to eliminate the fee and add it to the ticket price, with the hope that everyone will follow suit. Then consumers can get fair price comparisons when shopping for airfare.

-Rob

Upvote 0

tecowdw

If you have a "legal" carry-on (meaning one that falls within the guidelines of a carry-on) but there just isn't any space left in the overhead compartments, they will gate-check the bag for free.

The problem comes when too many people take carry-ons and the airline doesn't enforce the size rules of the carry-ons. Overhead space fills up faster forcing more gate-checking, and sometimes people use this as a way to get "free" checked baggage by purposely packing a bag that wouldn't physically fit in the overhead bin even if it were empty.

The airlines really need to institute at least one free checked bag per person. It would make life in the cabin so much easier. Or at least have one of the legacy carriers have the guts to eliminate the fee and add it to the ticket price, with the hope that everyone will follow suit. Then consumers can get fair price comparisons when shopping for airfare.

-Rob

I agree! Much of the problem stems from the fact that they charge for bags and people don't trust the airline to get there bag to it's destination with them. If they could become highly reliable with that AND allowed one bag free, then maybe people would be less likely to carry so much carry-on.

However, at the end of the day, it comes down to the airlines enforcing the existing rules. If NO ONE got carry on through that was more or bigger than what is allowed, most boarding would be alot smoother. Problem is gate and flight attendants would have to be very strict which impacts customer relations.

I'm pretty sure after about the thousandth customer bickering at me today because I won't let them carry-on that over size suitcase or bring that third carry on item, would dampen my spirit - then I don't care anymore and everyone gets a free pass the rest of my shift!!
:D

I will say, the smoothest and quickest boarding time I ever experienced was one where the airline was actually enforcing the "please remain seated until your zone is boarding" and all the carry-on rules at the boarding door. It actually blew my mind that it could work that well.
I've never seen it happen since.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Air Canada doesn't normally charge for your first bag [two bags if travelling Business Class], but as a result of the heightened security after the New Years Day incident, Air Canada has waived all baggage fees for passengers headed to the U.S.

Upvote 0

muteki

Actually Muteki, That is starting to change as well. When I was there you can do resort check in for Southwest at all four of the Value level resort meaning you can use the luggage check in as well as they will print you your boarding pass ( I am assuming they mean your number in line) Hopefully this means this will be expanded across the property soon, as the last thing I heard prior to this was that it was only available at the All Stars. Belle

Wow, thats good to know. We will be hitting the road for our next trip down in Feb. (thanks for helping us out by the way, we can't wait :wave:), but maybe down the road we will fly down and take advantage of it. I thought the fact that you couldn't do resort check-in with Southwest was a bit silly, as every other major airline you could.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree! Much of the problem stems from the fact that they charge for bags and people don't trust the airline to get there bag to it's destination with them. If they could become highly reliable with that AND allowed one bag free, then maybe people would be less likely to carry so much carry-on.

However, at the end of the day, it comes down to the airlines enforcing the existing rules. If NO ONE got carry on through that was more or bigger than what is allowed, most boarding would be alot smoother. Problem is gate and flight attendants would have to be very strict which impacts customer relations.

I'm pretty sure after about the thousandth customer bickering at me today because I won't let them carry-on that over size suitcase or bring that third carry on item, would dampen my spirit - then I don't care anymore and everyone gets a free pass the rest of my shift!!
:D

I will say, the smoothest and quickest boarding time I ever experienced was one where the airline was actually enforcing the "please remain seated until your zone is boarding" and all the carry-on rules at the boarding door. It actually blew my mind that it could work that well.
I've never seen it happen since.

When I started flying, way back in the dark ages, carry-on bags were about the size of today's average school back-pack, or smaller - just large enough for your travel -sized toiletries, jewelry, medications, camera, and a book or two. They fit easily under your seat, and anything larger was checked; the overhead bins were for coats, blankets, pillows, etc. But, luggage rarely got lost back then, as not as many people were flying.

This was also before rolling luggage, so you had to be able to carry any luggage, checked or not, or pay a skycap to do so.

I have a small suitcase that fits within the carryon guidelines, that will easily hold a week's worth of clothes (if I pack thoughtfully) , but it has to go in the overhead.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Wow, thats good to know. We will be hitting the road for our next trip down in Feb. (thanks for helping us out by the way, we can't wait :wave:), but maybe down the road we will fly down and take advantage of it. I thought the fact that you couldn't do resort check-in with Southwest was a bit silly, as every other major airline you could.

I believe it was a two-part reason for the delay in SOuthwest joining Resort Airline Check-In (and has already been mentioned, only a few resorts are currently participating).

One was that Southwest was operating a different system than the other major airlines, and that there were compatability issues. (Southwest was also changing to their new boarding pass system or a letter/numebr combo, so that may have held things up a bit)

The other was the Southwest was concerned that the RAC luggage system could physically handle the number of bags that would be coming in from Southwest passengers, and get them processed and to the airport in time to make the flights. Southwest carries more passengers to and from MCO than any other airline (I believe I read the figure that 20% of all passengers at MCO are with SOuthwest).
So until Disney and BAGS, Inc (the company that actually operates RAC) could demonstrate to Southwest that they could handle the influx of bags, Southwest didn't want to participate.

But now that they seem to have cleared both of those hurdles, they're slowly easing into the trial period. Southwest first started only at Pop Century on June 1st. Now that 7 months have gone by, and apparently it's expanded to the other Values, I'd expect to see further expansion to other resorts in the coming months.

-Rob

Upvote 0

luckyeye13

Another issue is staffing. In most cases, flights are boarded with just enough agents to take care of the process of boarding and paperwork. If there are no problems, it works out well. However, if something crops up, it creates a huge strain on the two or three people who are working the gate. For example, the airline that I worked at for over two years only placed three people at the gate at Newark. That meant that two people would be boarding over 200 passengers (as the planes, Boeing 777s, were often full or close to it) and one would be taking care of formalities, such as paperwork and announcements. If the configuration of the gate being used that day allowed it, the gate control agent might also board a few passengers in the rare moments that they had nothing going on. If a passenger was stopped for any reason, such as document or boarding pass issues or excessive hand luggage, it would bog down one of the two boarding agents. Usually, the passenger would be sent to the gate control agent, but they, too, might have their hands full already with reissuing boarding cards, assisting other customers, verifying baggage numbers, and other duties. This would add more pressure to make sure that everything was done for an on-time departure. (In Orlando, the fact that my airline only had one flight on most days of the year meant that almost everyone who was working at the check-in counter would then be working at the gate, so there would be six or seven agents at the gate, which meant plenty of manpower to deal with things like carry-ons.) Even though the industry standard for an on-time departure is within 15 minutes, the company standard was the flight pushing back no later than its scheduled time. To make things even more timely, the flight would not be counted as on-time for the departure airport if the doors and cargo holds were not closed at least three minutes prior to scheduled departure. (Even if the flight departed exactly on time, if the doors and holds were not closed at least three minutes prior, the station would be charged with a late departure.) This is actually becoming a pretty standard requirement among airlines.

In light of the thin staffing (which was a huge change for me when I changed airports), I made it a practice whenever I was assigned to gate control to go out into the gate area with my boarding agents and scour the area for bags that were obviously too big to take on-board before things got busy. Those bags would then have to be placed into one of the hand baggage gauges by the gate and if they were too big, as was usually the case, the passenger would need to see me so that we could tag the bag. If the passenger was already at their limit on hold (checked) luggage, this meant a charge of at least $165! Luckily, several of us had a very convincing way of getting passengers to pay up. If they refused to pay, we reminded them that all of their other bags would be removed and that they would be offloaded from the flight. In one case, the passenger absolutely refused, and this was followed through with. Of course, this method only worked when the passenger was in the gate area at the time of our checks and was not hiding their hand luggage as we went around. Once boarding started, it really became difficult to be on the lookout for bags while checking to make sure that the passenger's row number had already been called, that the names on boarding cards and passports matched, that passports hadn't expired, that the boarding card was even for the correct flight (not for a later flight or a connecting flight), that the boarding card was being read by the machines, etc. Often, despite several announcements on this point, groups of passengers traveling together did not have their boarding cards in their passports and were not holding their documents individually, so this made the process even more cumbersome. Meanwhile, the gate control agent would be making announcements, updating the gate displays, printing new boarding cards due to last-minute seat changes and onloading of standby passengers, checking documents of passengers who had checked-in online or with another airline through check-in for an inbound flight and had not yet seen an agent from my airline, gathering bag information of stragglers for possible offloading, confirming that the number of bags taken in the hold was less than or equal to the number of bags registered for the flight (If this was not the case, fun ensued as the flight was legally forbidden from departing the gate.), and doing many other vital tasks.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks all for the information...think I will call resort ahead just to confirm what they do...last year when we checked bags to leave they said we had to pay and I told them no we didn't because I bought my tickets in June before the implementation of that charge....they said OK and I was on my way. I know when we preboard online we can pay then going down...but want to be certain I don't have any hassle leaving with Magical Express check out...

Surely wish it was just figured into price....or a one way fee on roundtrip passengers....or better yet NO FEES for one bag each. LOL I had my children with their own smaller bags so they could transport their own things but now if travelling will condense their things into a larger case...same amount of stuff...:lookaroun

Upvote 0

harryk

While I don't like the idea - it is time we went to NO Carry-on except for a handbag which can hold the ladies incidentals and medications for personnel in the flying party and one lap-top and a book. Draconian yes, but solves the problems of flyers who don't abide by the rules, and this seems to be the vast majority of flyers on the flights which I take. (Delta Airlines).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom