Bad Pirates Experience

PirateJosh20

Thanks for the Welcome

I Float around the board on here often. I dont always post though. I like to catch up on whats going around and clear up some rumors most of the time. I mostly post on LaughingPlace.com but I am beginning to like this board much better. The people on laughingplace complain to much and take alot of Disney for granted.

I have been known though to print some of these post and take them to work at Disney. So do understand that CM's do read and care whats wrote on these boards. And in many times some situations are new to us as well as you, and we are doing our best to make the best of the situation. So in some ways I do agree more CM's should be trained for better Guest Relations information. But most castmembers are not the best at problem solving. They may be great with guest interation but strategy thinking may not be their thing. I mean come on we are all human, we can not be prepared for everything that happens. I have never encountered more then one downtime at an attraction ive worked at that has been the same as another downtime or that has ever been perfectly executed. Something always goes wrong. Someone never cooperates. "its out Disney vacations and youve ruined it" Do you know how many times we here that. And never get an apology because its not actually OUR (the CM's) fault. Once again I stress the age of WDW and the amount of operation of the rides. WDW itself never gets a vacation.

Maybe no one at pirates was able to appologize after the evac because they were still inside evacuating? But that still does not mean the CM's who helped you out of the boats could not have appologized. When I perform a Pirate Evac I talk to all the guests in the boats and explain what we are going to do to Evac. I can never answer "whats wrong" "is the ride broken" because the answer is not something we know till after an evac. Then as I am approaching a boat and helping guests out, i appologize to each and every guest that I encounter. Now thats me, not every CM is like that. But I know quite a few at pirates that are. And most of the College Program CM's dont care and have not had enought experience to know exactly how to handel each situation. That could have been another problem the night of your ride.

PurpleDragon

Yes, welcome PirateJosh and thank you for your detailed explaination of the issues that go on with PoTC. I would hope that your explaination will give O'Malley and his wife enough of an understanding of the possible situation they went through, to ease their frustration. Maybe not completely but enough to possibly ride again on their next visit without fear.

O'Malley, I know its been said 1000 times already but the best thing you can do is to write guest relations and give them an exact account of your experience with dates and CM names if you have them. As others have said, ride breakdowns are logged, so they will have some record of your unfortunate event. Hopefully from there guest relations will review your complaint and handle accordingly (CM termination, guest compensation, etc...).

Sorry to hear you had to go thru this and I hope your next trip to WDW will be much better.:wave:

PirateJosh20

I honestly dont think that CM termination is the way to handle the sitituation. Were you there? do you know what the CM's were doing for why they did not come out to talk after the evacuation? they were probably instructed by maintence to take their posts in the ride, because when the ride E-stops that late at night, those castmembers dont get to go home at there normal time. They have to stay till that ride is in operational conditions.

How would you feel if you were the cast member, PurpleDragon, and people wanted you terminated becuase you didnt come to talk to them and you were doing your job, what you were instructed to do inside? I believe another CM in the area after the evacuation, wether it was Jungle Cruise, Aladdins Carpets, or Guest Relations should have been talked to. Anyone in Adventureland would have been great because we all have the same managers and coordinators in that area.

Sorry just wanted to have you view that from that perspective if you were the CM doing your part in your role.

PurpleDragon

PirateJosh20 said:
I Float around the board on here often. I dont always post though. I like to catch up on whats going around and clear up some rumors most of the time. I mostly post on LaughingPlace.com but I am beginning to like this board much better. The people on laughingplace complain to much and take alot of Disney for granted.

I have been known though to print some of these post and take them to work at Disney. So do understand that CM's do read and care whats wrote on these boards. And in many times some situations are new to us as well as you, and we are doing our best to make the best of the situation. So in some ways I do agree more CM's should be trained for better Guest Relations information. But most castmembers are not the best at problem solving. They may be great with guest interation but strategy thinking my not be their thing. I mean come on we are all human, we can not be prepared for everything that happens. I have never encountered more then one downtime at an attraction ive worked at that has been the same as another downtime or that has ever been perfectly executed. Something always goes wrong. Someone never cooperates. "its out Disney vacations and youve ruined it" Do you know how many times we here that. And never get an apology because its not actually OUR (the CM's) fault. Once again I stress the age of WDW and the amount of operation of the rides. WDW itself never gets a vacation.
Very well put and I can understand the frustration you (the CM's) must feel when you get an ear full from a guest who wasn't happy about PoTC breaking down, or the fact that the line for Small world was too long. Its sad that some people feel that they have to cuss someone out everytime they are unhappy. I am truely sorry you guys have to put up with that. I wish there was some way to make guests understand what you CM's have to go thru from day to day to keep the park up to par, but alas there isn't.:(

However, on the other side, these guest have just shelled out thousands of dollars to bring their family to WDW (some for the first time). And to get stuck on a ride for 30 minutes to an hour is just completely unacceptable. You must understand that a majority of the public holds Disney parks to a much higher standard of expectations than most other parks. They expect all CM's to be kind and courteous, they expect all rides to run flawlessly all day, blah, blah, blah... SO when something such as a simple 2 minute delay would seem like nothing at say Six Flags, at Disney it is a detremental experience. I know a majority of these expectations are almost impossible to live up to, but I think that small efforts by cast members such as being helpful, polite, and understanding can make the "unfortunate" experiences, seem a bit more tolerable.

PurpleDragon

PirateJosh20 said:
I honestly dont think that CM termination is the way to handle the sitituation. Were you there? do you know what the CM's were doing for why they did not come out to talk after the evacuation? they were probably instructed by maintence to take their posts in the ride, because when the ride E-stops that late at night, those castmembers dont get to go home at there normal time. They have to stay till that ride is in operational conditions.

How would you feel if you were the cast member, PurpleDragon, and people wanted you terminated becuase you didnt come to talk to them and you were doing your job, what you were instructed to do inside? I believe another CM in the area after the evacuation, wether it was Jungle Cruise, Aladdins Carpets, or Guest Relations should have been talked to. Anyone in Adventureland would have been great because we all have the same managers and coordinators in that area.

Sorry just wanted to have you view that from that perspective if you were the CM doing your part in your role.
Sorry, I wasn't insinuating that anyone should be fired for the situation. However if someone was not doing there job and was say out hanging with their friends infront of the ride, or took a quick smoke break during a ride breakdown procedure, that might be grounds for termination.

I don't think anyone should be fired for doing their job simply because it made someone else unhappy. Heck, if people were fired anytime someone was unhappy, everyone would be unemployed. :lol:

PirateJosh20

PurpleDragon said:
However, on the other side, these guest have just shelled out thousands of dollars to bring their family to WDW (some for the first time). And to get stuck on a ride for 30 minutes to an hour is just completely unacceptable. .

Once again to me, and i know this will sound harsh but thats a Blah Blah Blah statment. Do you think I dont care about that. I absolutely do and so does Disney. But again the rides can only handle what we through at them and when they are thrown so much they go down. Get off and ride again. I know it sucks having something go wrong on your first time there but the world is not perfect and neither is Disney.

Im not continuing on that part of this article anymore, I wanted to clearify what we as CM's do and the possibilites of what may have went wrong, and I have done that and appreciate many of the thanks from all of you.

WDWPirateGirl

Sorry from a former POTC Trainer

I want to thanks my fellow pirate (piratejosh20) for letting me know about this post. First off I would like to say that I hope you and your wife try out pirates again. I know you don't want to think about it right now but don't let one bad experience spoil it, how would our lives be if we id that with everything?

Having not been there I can't really say a lot for the evacuation procedures that took place on your ride... but normally here are some tips that all cast members are trained on and should always follow (I know because I used to be a trainer at the attraction). First off, Music off in 5 min. We are aware that it gets annoying. Second, Lights up in 10 min. Most of the time however this will depend on what the manager is doing in tower. Then ideally there is supposed to be 3 cast members at each point. Now where you were at they should have only Evacuated one boat with the bridge, and everyone else should have gotten pushed back to the next evacuation point (seeing as how the bridge only reaches one boat safely).

I have done many evacuations at pirates so here's some other thoughts. While I know you found it very rude that the unload person didn't make eye contact with you, think of it from their point (especially if they are timid at all) they know that the guests are upset down there, and so gazing into the eyes of a couple hundred people isn't always enticing. Not to mention that they are alone, and I have personally been there alone when a guest has decided to use me as an emotional punching bag. I usually try to say something to the guests and I apologize that they didn't make this attempt with you. As far as no one saying they are sorry as the boat is evacuating, for that too I am sorry. Usually the cast member is repeating it over and over. All I can think of is that they were obviously short handed and so they were concentrating on trying to get people off the ride.

While there are certain things in your message that didn't make much sense to me, I was not there so I'll just have to take your word for it. I hope that you will get over it and try the attraction again, but at the same time, it's your own loss for not riding it anymore. I also advise you to always contact guest relations when you have such a tremendous experience. Thats why they are there, and they know about the evacuation. If you don't contact them and let them help right the situation then I'm not sure you should be so shocked. Surprised you didn't, having been to disney so many times before. At least you have the means to be-able to go so often.

PurpleDragon

PirateJosh20 said:
Once again to me, and i know this will sound harsh but thats a Blah Blah Blah statment. Do you think I dont care about that. I absolutely do and so does Disney. But again the rides can only handle what we through at them and when they are thrown so much they go down. Get off and ride again. I know it sucks having something go wrong on your first time there but the world is not perfect and neither is Disney.

Im not continuing on that part of this article anymore, I wanted to clearify what we as CM's do and the possibilites of what may have went wrong, and I have done that and appreciate many of the thanks from all of you.
Please understand PirateJosh, I am not defending one side or the other. (however I would tend to favor the CM side rather than the guest side.) I am simply putting both sides out there for a perspective comparison, nothing more. I completely respect the CM's and know that if it weren't for you guys, WDW would not be what it is. So, just wanna say I thank you for doing what you do. :sohappy:

Swfewrmco

PirateJosh20 said:

Kudos to you for saying what I have been trying to say. I guess you have a better knack for the "warm and fuzzy" approach that you need to take over here.

It looks like you will be able to take whatever these folks through at you. Good luck, and God's speed!

PurpleDragon

dizryan said:
Kudos to you for saying what I have been trying to say. I guess you have a better knack for the "warm and fuzzy" approach that you need to take over here.

It looks like you will be able to take whatever these folks through at you. Good luck, and God's speed!
Who is saying that anyone is throwing anything? I simply was explaining how guests might feel, that is not my personal perspective at all.

I completely understand what the CM's go through from day to day and think its awful for guests to use a CM's as an "emotional punching bag". I worked in customer service jobs for many years and know that it is impossible to please everyone all the time. I respect what CM's do and wish there was some way to make guest feel the same way.

PirateJosh20

If I were working right now and this happened...

dizryan said:

I have handled and dealt with many situations with guests. I can proudly say I have never had a guest complaint (unlike other CM's) I have had some unhappy guests, but I have helped more understand more of situations and reconsider their thoughts. I have learned from what I have dealt with and use my past experiences to help me in situations today.

Personally if I was working that night, I would have told any guest that approached me with concern, when the next time they were coming to MK was and if I was working that Day I would personally take them right on the ride, or if I was unable to do that, I would write them a pass for their party for the attraction. I fully believe in Guest Service Recovery and keeping our guests happy so they will return. But there are situations where sometimes they dont believe anything we do is enough and I personally would take anything Disney offered for free, but thats me.

Swfewrmco

PurpleDragon said:
Who is saying that anyone is throwing anything? I simply was explaining how guests might feel, that is not my personal perspective at all.

It's just a "figure of speech". Let's all go cook some chickens and come back later.

PurpleDragon

PirateJosh20 said:
Personally if I was working that night, I would have told any guest that approached me with concern, when the next time they were coming to MK was and if I was working that Day I would personally take them right on the ride, or if I was unable to do that, I would write them a pass for their party for the attraction. I fully believe in Guest Service Recovery and keeping our guests happy so they will return. But there are situations where sometimes they dont believe anything we do is enough and I personally would take anything Disney offered for free, but thats me.
It is because of CM's like you that the Disney experience still has its magic. Kudos my friend!!:wave:

Enderikari

PurpleDragon said:
...use CM's as an "emotional punching bag".

You called?
Hi there, just your friendly neighborhood GR CM here, straight from City Hall. Unfortunetly, I was not there the day of the pirates breakdown, but it is unfortunate we did not have ability to speak with you that day. I advise sending an E-Mail off to the Guest Communications department, as they will either be able to explain further the situation and what happened, or take steps to help you retain the magic. However, that is not... repeat not, the E-mail address for Guest Relations at the Magic Kingdom, they handle things more globally.
Furthermore, no matter what time it is, if there are guests in the park, there are cast members in City Hall willing to help you with any difficulties. Let us know that day, so at least we can express dissatisfaction to the leaders at the attraction for immediate feedback. We are very good listeners if you give us a shot.
I am glad to hear that the one pirates experience hasn't ruined your feel for WDW, and am further glad to hear that you will be once again visiting us in the future. From personal experience, I did have a very similar situation in the same attraction about three months ago, where I waited in the auction scene for over an hour but was not evacuated. I just rode pirates again for the first time since the incident, last week, and the bad situation became a joke with my friends.

disneymoc

Thank you PirateJosh and Pirategirl for posting. If all CMs were the least bit like you, the World would be a better place. I think it is pretty good the way it is though. :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i was about to interject and suggest that we (including I; see my anonomous neg. feedback) have discussed and discussed and i think that everyone is forgetting what tomorrow is..................... Thanksgiving. yeh!

so seriously, lets be thankful of all the things in your life that mean something to you (family, friends, religious stuff, etc etc)

on another note, lets be thankful for the CM's that care, GR CM's that email you back, the doing away with budget cuts in the parks (not completely yet), and for the man who started it all; Walt.

have a wonderful tomorrow. is disney having a nationally televised parade? ive never gotten to watch tv on thanksgiving so i can remember (like a special event or something this year)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom