Backpack on rides?

lemonade

I'm going to the Magic Kingdom in a week with my niece and nephew who are 10 and 9. I'd like to take a backpack to hold our "stuff" cameras, ponchos, water bottles, cell phone. Anyway, if I don't stuff it too full will I be able to take it on the rides? Or will I have to put it in a locker?
I know at Islands of Adventure I was able to take my backpack on most rides (not including coasters) without a problem.

goofyguy

Originally posted by christopher

When I was in grade school I used to wear my back pack with only one strap because it was cool.

Do you mean it's not cool anymore? I hate it when I'm not informed about these things.

Upvote 0

lemonade

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses to my question. I had no intention of starting a debate. But I guess some people just had to get there opinions on the matter off their chests.
I feel like I should defend myself because of what was said about me and of backpack wearers of the world. ;) It seems that everyone here has been bumped, nudged, and knocked into by discourteous people weaing backpacks. Some people don't seem to realize that that was a person that they just knocked over.
I for one don't usually like it when people are standing in my space in cramped situations because I get claustraphobic. So I'm extra aware of my surroundings and the people in it. I like to think of myself as courteous. If I happen to bump into someone whether I'm wearing a backpack or not I always exuse myself and apologize because I would like the same treatment from others. It seems that there are far too many rude people nowadays especially in theme parks.
So I understand when people get upset by people with backpacks who forget that they're even wearing one and don't take into consideration that they're not the only person in a queue. But just remember that not everyone is like that.
Sorry, christopher. I'm shutting up now.

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

The last two times we were at WDW, I carried a backpack. The first time, I tried too hard to "be prepared" for ANYTHING that could possibly happen, and my body paid the price. The last time, I minimized the load, had other family people carry some of the smaller stuff in their own fannypacks, and had a far more enjoyable time.

I always took my backpack off in lines and carried it, for two reasons: one, I didn't want to bump people with it, because it is a larger than normal backpack (technically a daypack), and, two, even though it was still moderately light, it gave my back a rest and I could just sit it next to my feet when we weren't moving in line.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time at WDW!:)

Upvote 0

christopher

Originally posted by lemonade
Sorry, christopher. I'm shutting up now.

I dont want you to shut up. I want you to wear you backpack. And I want your backpack to wear a backpack. And I want that backpack to wear a little mini backpack that plays music. And if people are getting mad at you for wearing these backpacks, you come find me and I will tell them to "back' off. Get it.:lol:

At least you are not wearing a pack, I am much more offended when I see someone wearing one of those. They are not half as cool as wearing your backpack with one strap. Who invented those things? I don't like that person.

P.S. I am very funny

Upvote 0

BoBa BoI

I think backpacks can be a great asset but also a great hassel. Backpacks have always been helpful in carrieing maybe drinks, an extra bag of chips, cameras, etc. that's pretty obvious. But what i've found to be even more helpful is strollers! Strong strollers are great, and if they have a basket its even better. there's no need to lug anything around, and what a better way to take advantage of having a younger sibling! Anyways, I'm beginning to feel as though back packs are getting rather unstylish for my tastes. Backpacks have become something to do with school, and its almost embarrasing to be wearing some very nice Armani clothes but having a regular jansport or eastpack bag on yoor back. And backpacks have other downsides as well. the compartments under the seats on rides such as star tours are made out of a mesh netting. My backpack being a limited military personel edition jansport(a kind of bag i've only seen sold on base stores, which is alot like the newer jansports that look kinda funny ) it had an interesting auto locking hook. after a somewhat rough ride on star tours the backpack somehow got secured onto the bottom of the seat. I struggled to free it before the next group of star tourists entered the ride vehicle, but i failed. And what became my most embarrassing 10 minutes at DisneyWorld felt like 3 hours! oh well, i'm looking for a new bag for my trip next week, i'm thinking about getting something along the lines of a messenger bag... does anyone have any problems with those?

Upvote 0

christopher

Originally posted by BoBa BoI
i'm looking for a new bag for my trip next week, i'm thinking about getting something along the lines of a messenger bag... does anyone have any problems with those?

I do. They are too square shaped. You could poke out an eye with the corner of one those things. One time I wore one to school and reached around to take a book out when "HIYAAAAH!!" right in the eye with on of those corners. Now I have to wear an eye patch. I look like a pirarate. You may have seen me at work before. I'm a stand in for the guy on top of the bridge with the dirty foot on Pirates of the Carribean.

If you do get one I would cover the corners in 8 pounds of flourecent foam and bubble tape so you don't hurt youself or anyone else.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by christopher

At least you are not wearing a pack, I am much more offended when I see someone wearing one of those. They are not half as cool as wearing your backpack with one strap. Who invented those things? I don't like that person.

I know they look tacky, but I like the fact that my arms and back are free when wearing a pack! Plus... when you wear a backpack, the temptation of carrying EVERYTHING in there is very big! With a pack, there is no much you can carry in there, but your camera and money! :D

I sometimes wore a black leather backpack while I lived in Orlando, and basically carried my poncho, money and water, or clothes when I went to the water parks. I did wore it on one shoulder! I didn´t know it´s not cool anymore :( but it´s more comfy and less hot to wear it that way! :D

:animwink:

Upvote 0

Camelot

I agree with you , Maria ...about the temptation to want to fill the back pack, but since I usually get headaches carrying heavy bags on my shoulders, that's why I prefer the smaller pack, which are rarely wore in it's intended position, anymore. I am mainly concerned about the safety bars positioning properly, so I have to sometimes move the "bulk" of the pack a scootch to one hip or the other...

To each his/her own. :)

Upvote 0

figmentmom

HA! Clearly, none of you kids ever travelled with a mom willing to carry everybody else's stuff in her shoulder Disney bag. One of my shoulders is permanently three inches lower than the other!:lol:

Upvote 0

Becky

:D

Look out, three strollers side by side coming at you. Now that is Space Invaders :cool:

Everyone shake hands and make up. After all it is Walt Disney World, the happiest place on earth:animwink:
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MattsCath

what a long strange thread it's been!

I don't know about the rest of you, but the idea of walking around the parks with no where to put my sunscreen, bottled water, camera, $, lip gloss, personal fan, light snack, and umbrella is a fate worse than death. (LOL) How can anyone survive the heat without the essentials strapped to their back?

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Educating the masses.

Originally posted by MattsCath
I don't know about the rest of you, but the idea of walking around the parks with no where to put my sunscreen, bottled water, camera, $, lip gloss, personal fan, light snack, and umbrella is a fate worse than death. (LOL) How can anyone survive the heat without the essentials strapped to their back?

Good point! You're right on target. First buy a quality sunscreen that you only have to apply once a day. Second, don't drink bottled water because it's not very healthy. Drink from water fountains in the parks. Third, you don't need an umbrella. You won't melt, trust me. As for a personal fan I won't go there because it's too risky. Therefore, the rest of your stuff should easily fit in a pack. Glad I could be of help. Your comments will help many people. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Invero

Re: Educating the masses.

Originally posted by Talsonic
don't drink bottled water because it's not very healthy. Drink from water fountains in the parks.

Since when is water not healthy? And while there are bunches of water fountains in the parks, they're not always accessible. I *HIGHLY* recommend having a refillable water bottle with you. Why? I have seen far too many people pass out and/or get ill from dehydration and heat stroke. You want to talk about not healthy? Not drinking plenty of water during the hot sunny days, THAT is not healthy.

Glad I could be of help.

Coulda fooled me.

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Re: Educating the masses.

First buy a quality sunscreen that you only have to apply once a day.

that's good advice.. let's go on

Second, don't drink bottled water because it's not very healthy. Drink from water fountains in the parks.

uh... no. Florida water is disgusting. Get bottled water off-property and take it with you. Refill it if you MUST. I work there and I don't even use the water fountains. I'll take my little Evian (i know it's expensive.... but well worth it) bottle with me everywhere I go.

Third, you don't need an umbrella.

yes you do.

As for a personal fan I won't go there because it's too risky.

this one is iffy. Take one if you MUST.

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

I am taking a backpack this time i usally dont but i am bring a change of clothing my camera water fan (sorry tig) sunscreen yes you need to reapply talsonic my husband is very fair and can get sunburn badly if he doent . My pins so there i need something to carry all that plus i am bringing a pack because i will not keep my wallet in my backpack i like to know where my money is at all times and also a sweater for inside because i tend to get cold so i dont care what anyone says as long as you dont envade peoples space i think its ok to bring a backpack

Upvote 0

figmentmom

In my Disney shoulder bag, I have the essential items for WDW: sunscreen, water bottle, umbrella, rain poncho, a dry pair of socks, money (HA!), lip gloss, comb, hotel room key, Disney pass...you get the idea. All that stuff is absolutely necessary; if you can fit your essentials in a pack, go for it! If you can't, use the backpack and just be careful with it.

And have fun! :D

Upvote 0

castlecake

I see nothing wrong with brining Back Packs to the parks. But also remember other people are there too, while standing in line it would be courteous to take off your bag and hold it in front of you. CM usually make you fill in all available space while waiting in line and this mighy help people from getting hit with a bag. Take your back pack and have fun!!:D Where I will draw the line are those carry-on bags with the little wheels ant the long handle. Someone had this at MGM and people kept getting squished toes!

Have a good holiday Lemonade!! Have a Disney Day:king: :wave:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Small children and fair skinned people really need to reapply sunscreen more than the first thing in the am. My 5 yr old was on medication that made her very sensitive to burning and I think I put her prescription strength sunscreen on her about every 1-2 hours. No one on our ten day trip got sunburned. We also needed our backpack for other reasons...diapers, wipes, camera and some snacks for the little one. We didnt go in with a survival pack. we bought water..the fountains were not that cold. Our backpack though was a childs pack and it was strapped to the stoller. Still for many they are necessary..no one wants to lose alot of time running back to the hotel or even to a locker at the front of the park..esp. if you are in toon town and need diapers~

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom