Backpack on rides?

lemonade

I'm going to the Magic Kingdom in a week with my niece and nephew who are 10 and 9. I'd like to take a backpack to hold our "stuff" cameras, ponchos, water bottles, cell phone. Anyway, if I don't stuff it too full will I be able to take it on the rides? Or will I have to put it in a locker?
I know at Islands of Adventure I was able to take my backpack on most rides (not including coasters) without a problem.

The_CEO

Re: Good Point!

Originally posted by Talsonic

Good post! I like the reference to "personal space". The problem in most of those "switchback lines" at WDW is that folks wait for a long time (30 minutes, 1 hour and sometimes more). All people in the line tend to switch position (i.e. left, right, turn around) just to "break" the boredom of standing in line. All of the lines are very tight. If you look at the space in an average WDW line (i.e. measure the distance from one chain to another) it doesn't amount to the average human torso loaded with a backpack! As a result, folks with backpacks bump and impede other tourists in most any line at WDW. Therefore backpacks "touch" (bump, scrape, etc.) other people in line. Let me choose who touches me, not you.

OK then.. Maybe people should carry their bookbags by their sides ;)

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Maybe

Originally posted by the_ceo_at_wdw

OK then.. Maybe people should carry their bookbags by their sides ;)

As I suggested earlier, wear your "junk" (i.e. book bag, backpack, etc.) on your front when you are in a crowd. Backpacks are great! They were designed for "backpacking" in the great outdoors such as National Parks. In tight spaces backpacks are a pain to those behind the user. Why must you extend your personal space beyond your body? At least if you have your "junk" in front, you might be less likely to bump others.

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Re: Maybe

As I suggested earlier, wear your "junk" (i.e. book bag, backpack, etc.) on your front when you are in a crowd. Backpacks are great! They were designed for "backpacking" in the great outdoors such as National Parks. In tight spaces backpacks are a pain to those behind the user. Why must you extend your personal space beyond your body? At least if you have your "junk" in front, you might be less likely to bump others.

Um...no...I'll wear it like it was INTENDED to be worn.

But thanks for the "suggestion".

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

Good post! I like the reference to "personal space". The problem in most of those "switchback lines" at WDW is that folks wait for a long time (30 minutes, 1 hour and sometimes more). All people in the line tend to switch position (i.e. left, right, turn around) just to "break" the boredom of standing in line. All of the lines are very tight. If you look at the space in an average WDW line (i.e. measure the distance from one chain to another) it doesn't amount to the average human torso loaded with a backpack! As a result, folks with backpacks bump and impede other tourists in most any line at WDW. Therefore backpacks "touch" (bump, scrape, etc.) other people in line. Let me choose who touches me, not you.

How about this? Don't get that close to the people in line in front of you. You won't get on the ride any faster.

Common courtesy. Personal Space.

If you see a backpack, give a little bit of room, and so will they.....amazing how that works, huh?

Upvote 0

Invero

If you look at the space in an average WDW line (i.e. measure the distance from one chain to another) it doesn't amount to the average human torso loaded with a backpack! As a result, folks with backpacks bump and impede other tourists in most any line at WDW. Therefore backpacks "touch" (bump, scrape, etc.) other people in line. Let me choose who touches me, not you.

Okay, first... perhaps you could enlighten me on to which queue lines are so cramped? Pretty much every line I've been in has been quite wide, usually enough for two people to stand side by side. In addition, a lot of the newer queue lines have been designed to accomodate guests travelling with wheelchairs, and as such, they are quite wide. I usually have my Monorail backpack with me, and I never have a problem with it.

Secondly... Most backpacks that I see at the park are quite small, and no where NEAR the size of the 50lb backpack I had to lug when I was in High School. All Lemonade wanted to put was some Ponchos, her camera, and cell phone. That's not a lot of stuff... And it does no good in the Locker, and it won't fit in a pack.

And third... why are you getting so close to the person that they smack you with thier bag, anyways? I've been in a few lines where the person behind me is using a scooter, and they kept running into me. Should I tell everyone to put thier scooter in a locker as well?

Upvote 0

Invero

By the way, Lemonade...

You can take your backpack on pretty much every ride here at Walt Disney World. I really can't think of any that you wouldn't be able to. Kali River Rapids has a special bin in each raft for personal belongings. Rockin Rollercoaster has room by your feet (assuming you don't have size 22 feet... lol)

Of course, please exercise some common sense, and follow all Cast Member instructions on proper storage. And most importantly, have fun, stay dry, drink water, and take lots of great pics :)

Upvote 0

Passport

Re: Re: Good Point!

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

Okay, first... perhaps you could enlighten me on to which queue lines are so cramped? Pretty much every line I've been in has been quite wide, usually enough for two people to stand side by side. In addition, a lot of the newer queue lines have been designed to accomodate guests travelling with wheelchairs, and as such, they are quite wide. I usually have my Monorail backpack with me, and I never have a problem with it.

Secondly... Most backpacks that I see at the park are quite small, and no where NEAR the size of the 50lb backpack I had to lug when I was in High School. All Lemonade wanted to put was some Ponchos, her camera, and cell phone. That's not a lot of stuff... And it does no good in the Locker, and it won't fit in a pack.

And third... why are you getting so close to the person that they smack you with thier bag, anyways? I've been in a few lines where the person behind me is using a scooter, and they kept running into me. Should I tell everyone to put thier scooter in a locker as well?

I agree. And I have never had a problem.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by lemonade
Sounds like some backpack-wearing tourist really ed you off in the past...................I'm not one of those big oafs that can't tell when they're standing on top of someone.

You talking about me ??????????

I'm a tourist when I come to WDW............. I'm also 6'6" and weigh in at around 240lbs and built like an outside s***house.

However, I carry my backpack around carefully - well nobodys ever complained.............wonder why?
:lol:

Upvote 0

Mr.Nutz

There's a lot of backpack wearers on this thread, so I'm going to tap into your expertise.

Usually I've never taken a backpack into the parks, but I think this time I need to (and will). Doesn't it get really hot with a backpack on all the time? That's something I'm worried about. It's helpful to know you can take it on most rides.

Talsonic: I don't remember ever being bumped into by a backpack. I've been rammed from behind with strollers, I've even accidentally rammed small children who run in front of my mother's wheelchair. But bumped by a backpack? Never. Perhaps you're one of those people who annoyingly stand so close that others feel you breathing on their necks.

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Mr.Nutz
There's a lot of backpack wearers on this thread, so I'm going to tap into your expertise.

Usually I've never taken a backpack into the parks, but I think this time I need to (and will). Doesn't it get really hot with a backpack on all the time? That's something I'm worried about. It's helpful to know you can take it on most rides.

I don't know about hot, but it can get heavy if you're carrying stuff for everybody in your group, like I was in 96. And for the record, so that nobody says I'm another one of those Brazilians who bug everybody, the backpack had two cameras, 4 wallets, 2 ponchos and maybe a couple of souvenirs. Didn't hear anyone cussing my forefathers...
Back on topic, if you're carrying your own stuff, obviously you're not gonna go to MK as if you were going to war, and since you'll be going into rides all the time (with the pack at your feet during these times) you'll probably be OK.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Remember, you will need to go through security before entering the parks. All backpacks, packs, camera bags, diaper bags and parcels of any kind are subject to search. By the end of our 8 day trip, we carried less and less to speed park entry. I'm not taking anyone's side here but I have been bumped by backpack wearing people (I wear one myself at times). The lines in Fantasyland for Snow White, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh are tight lines and when people sit on the chain or lean on the metal poles between lines, their backpack extends into the other line. Common courtesy is the way to go. When in these types of lines, I take the pack off and carry it.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think the problem is not so much backpacks as recognizing when you might be encroaching into other's personal space, regardless of whether it's your backpack, tote bag, wheelchair, scooter, stroller, or in my case, hair!

Yes, back in the days when I had waist length hair and wore it in a braid, I accidently hit the person next to me when I turned suddenly! Who would have thought it?! I was most apologetic, and wore it pinned up after that.

When my son wears a small backpack into the park, I have to constantly remind him that he takes up more space than usually, and to check around him before turning, etc.

In the past, I've been more inconvenienced by smokers' lit cigarettes (before they were restricted), out of control food items (ice cream, sodas, and ~shudder~ turkey legs), and wet ponchos, than back packs.

I'm afraid you're always going to be inconvenienced by others, and since most of us don't spend our lives in huge, crowded lines, we're going to be pretty clueless about some of the annoying things we do! I'll try to be tolerant of your lapses if you try to tolerant mine! :( I

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

I don't take a backpack and I still walk into people. I get in that Disney Daze and seem to forget everyone around me. So if you are in the parks for the next week. Look out! I'll be the one who's husband keeps yelling "Watch where your walking". Well, anyways have a great trip!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

christopher

Let me make a final statement to end all discussion, questions, and arguements on this topic.

When I was in grade school I used to wear my back pack with only one strap because it was cool.

Thank you for your time and I am sure that all questions have now been answered. ;)

Upvote 0

Dwarful

OK Sorry Christopher I just had to add my two cents to this topic~ We have always hauled a backpack instead of a diaper bag...but we strap it on the stroller (havent tipped one yet either) or toss it in the seat...NO ONE has ever bothered the back pack or stroller before. This last trip was in May/June and by late day with the heat my 8yr old niece was wanting her turn in the stroller we ended up renting a Disney Stroller...those have pouches and sections for drinks which are pretty handy. Maybe we have been lucky but I think most people are too busy having fun to take the time to try and search a back pack for some goodie~ of course we have a name on it in big permanent marker as well. If you are going to wear it though just take it off and carry it in your hand before you get in line. I havent been hit by more "backpack people" than I have by others....now lets talk about those people that want the best spots for the parade two minutes before parade time LOL~~~

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom