Backlot Tour May Go Bye Bye

AEfx

Why not make the park into a movie production-based theme park?

Radical!

Because a production-based park only really works in a production-centered region. That isn't Orlando.

I understand the romantic notions attached to the idea, but even location issues aside, film production simply isn't friendly to trams and walking tours of tourists every 7-10 minutes. The only other option is studio audiences, and again, I don't think very many people would come to a WDW vacation and spend 4-5 hours watching a Kid-com being filmed.

The filmmakers would have to make a great deal of sacrifice for something that won't ever show up on celluloid. What incentive does anyone have when the facilities needed are cheaper, easier, and with less hassle elsewhere? It just will never work in Florida. (And I don't say "never" very lightly...)

AEfx

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because a production-based park only really works in a production-centered region. That isn't Orlando.

Sorry - bad choice of words. I mean a park about the magic and making of TV and movies, but not reliant on real production. Fake production, if you like. Believe me, I know about production-centered regions :wave:

nyy102

MGM is running out of rides..

A very good point, but all the more reason that this one ride should be removed in order to create room for 2 or 3 rides. Plus, WWtbaM-PI, which was an interactive show but a show nonetheless, is going to be replaced with the rumored Midway Mania ride. If both were to occur, MGM could have as many as 4 new rides at the price of one show and one completely and utterly destroyed and much shortened ride. That would bring the attraction count up to, I believe, 8 rides and 7 shows, plus Fantasmic.

neuromantic

Both names actually give me the willies.

I picture Fair Midway, unwashed, toothless carnies barking, "HEY YOU, come win your girlfriend this teddy bear."
:D If done right, with the right Disney "magic" and humor, creating a midway area with cast members done up as old time "barkers" (even including false bad teeth, etc etc....) It could be a lot of fun. A way for Disney to poke fun again at exactly what they are not. A park with those kinds of characters (the real ones....) is exactly what inspired Walt to create the original Disneyland in the first place. Coming full circle to parody the whole concept with costumed cast members and combined with a design look similar to the Paradise Pier area that is at DCA could be awesome. :sohappy:

PintoColvig

:D If done right, with the right Disney "magic" and humor, creating a midway area with cast members done up as old time "barkers" (even including false bad teeth, etc etc....) It could be a lot of fun. A way for Disney to poke fun again at exactly what they are not.
Isn't that what they were trying to do with the Dinorama area at AK? That didn't work so well for me. :hurl:

kcnole

Personally I'd rather see the backlot tour drop the backlot theme and become a special effects tour. Come tour with us through some of the greatest effects of all time. You could keep the water special effects show, you could keep catastrophe canyon, just create two - four more sections of great effects to ride through and maybe this could be fun again. Don't spend a ton of time on the other sections pulling out volunteers but do make us feel like we're involved in what is happening.

PintoColvig

Personally I'd rather see the backlot tour drop the backlot theme and become a special effects tour. Come tour with us through some of the greatest effects of all time. You could keep the water special effects show, you could keep catastrophe canyon, just create two - four more sections of great effects to ride through and maybe this could be fun again. Don't spend a ton of time on the other sections pulling out volunteers but do make us feel like we're involved in what is happening.
This idea has possibilities. For instance, there could be a fire effects area where the tram pulls into a warehouse and a "fire" breaks out. They would really have to spruce things up though and make it worth your time.

imagineer boy

This idea has possibilities. For instance, there could be a fire effects area where the tram pulls into a warehouse and a "fire" breaks out. They would really have to spruce things up though and make it worth your time.

Like I said before, they can add more "encounters" like on the studio tour at Universal. One I dea I had was where they could showcase the POTC ship facades used in the movies where the tram can wade through the lagoon between the two ships, and the ships can open fire on each other.

But it still needs some sort of "studio" affect on it. I still would very much like it if they could expand the backlot and add some real working studios. I know it might not be possible, but it really would make the ride cooler.

metscool

Like I said before, they can add more "encounters" like on the studio tour at Universal. One I dea I had was where they could showcase the POTC ship facades used in the movies where the tram can wade through the lagoon between the two ships, and the ships can open fire on each other.
There is one little problem. If you saw the second movie, the Black Pearl is gone. They used a real ship that they built in this movie then the last one where they used a barge.

socalkdg

There is one little problem. If you saw the second movie, the Black Pearl is gone. They used a real ship that they built in this movie then the last one where they used a barge.
How about a special effects set that, like your picture, shows the Kraken take down the Black Pearl. Throw in one more for Narnia(throw in some snow in a large enclosed warehouse combined with an action sequence) and the tram tour has meaning once again.

Or throw in the incredibles ride in place of the tram. Keep the que very similar, thus the story is people are going onto a tram ride when suddenly the tram is attacked, the tram is thrown around by the robotic arms, the incredibles come to the rescue, everyone has a great time. :)

Chape19714

MGM is running out of rides..
They're not running out, they've always had the same #, it just doesn't grow proportionally to the other parks. MGM rides have all stayed since day 1. Take:

GMR
Backlot
Star Tours
ToT
RnRC

Those are the only true rides to ever grace the studios and they are all still around.:lol: I know what you mean, just the choice of words came off funny to me. :wave:

imagineer boy

It wasn't a real ship, but a facade built all around a barge, but this time on all sides instead of one. It could be used, but they could also use one of the british ships with the false fronts to show the guests.

spike595

Actually the park started out being pretty skimpy, ToT didn't show up 'till 1994 and RRC until 1999. Imagine going and not seeing either of those. It was definately a half day park then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually the park started out being pretty skimpy, ToT didn't show up 'till 1994 and RRC until 1999. Imagine going and not seeing either of those. It was definately a half day park then.
Quite the opposite; in the early 90`s the park was at least a full day. The tour alone was a good 3 hours including queing and a rest break. Add an hour for Indy, 30 for Star Tours, 45 for Superstar and Monster, an hour for the GMR, 45 for MV3D, 45 for Here Come / Mermaid, meal times and staking a spot for Sorcery and you`ve got a full day.

Punkss

I'm not so bothered about it not being a 'working' studio as long as there is enough movie stuff around to stop it from being a 'theme park with Disney characters'.

The Indy stuff is good but man alive(!) it needs a few new sequences, I couldn't believe it when I went in 2004 the first time in 10 years and it was the same. Still drew a good crowd.

Star Wars is always good.

But as said the Backlot Tour needs some serious work...all the props is out of date, Calamity Canyon is good. What about all the films Disney have made recently like POTC and Narnia would have some great props, and they must have been partners on loads else too.

kachow

As it currently stands, it should just be completely eliminated. That said, I could easily see how they could keep it, even though the place is no longer a working studio. If it were me, and I wanted to keep the studio theme of the park, I'd just make all the studio elements fake, same as the Indy Stunt Show. They pretend it's a real movie shoot when we know it's not. Why couldn't they build a couple fake sound stages along the tram path, with various types of movies/tv shows in fake production? The same with the animation tour they used to have. Make it a replica of the Pixar studios (which is supposed to be really cool but doesn't give tours to the public), with demos spread throughout?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom