Backlot Tour May Go Bye Bye

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thank you! "Home Improvement". I knew there was another facade that was very popular as well, but I never watched that show and didn't remember it.

It's funny, but I had totally forgotten about how much I used to hear about that part of the tour before people had RnR and ToT to talk about. I knew I missed it myself, but it really is true that a lot of people have that as their big impression from MGM of those days.

I guess that could be interpreted as a good thing, or a bad thing, LOL. ;)

AEfx

Empty Nest, Golden Girls , Earnest saves Christmas, George of the Jungle, and I believe Adventures in Wonderland, all had ties to Residential Street.

Home Improvement did not as far as I know.

bugsbunny

That has got to be the silliest statement I have ever read on these boards.

If people want actual productions going on in a theme park, go to Hollywood.

People have these romantic/nostalalgic notions attached to the concept, but I think it clouds their judgement when it comes to the practicalities of the situation.

AEfx

WHOA! Nice baseless statement. You basically don't like my opinion so you call it the "silliest statement I have ever read on these boards"? Seems you put a lot of thought in to your answer, so let me blast it apart with my interpretation of the facts.

You saying that "People have these romantic...." statement has got to be dumber then anything I wrote.

Case in point: READ THE DEDICATION TO THE PARK BY MICHAEL EISNER!!!!

"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."

Hmmmmm? Looks like someone intended the park to be "romantic" and "nostaligic" Hollywood that "never was, but always will be". So your factless personal opinion about the park basically is WRONG.

And if you recall, WHICH YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T, the original park was basically a shell of a park where the "production studios" were IT with little actual amusement rides.

Now its all rides, the shows/attractions are all closing, and the term "Studios", which WAS the original concept, are all but GONE.

So that being that, why keep the Studios title? You might as well call it a church for it has as much preaching going on it as it has studio production going on in it.

I guess they printed up a lot of stationary and don't want to see it go to waste. ;)

AEfx

WHOA! Nice baseless statement. You basically don't like my opinion so you call it the "silliest statement I have ever read on these boards"? Seems you put a lot of thought in to your answer, so let me blast it apart with my interpretation of the facts.

First of all, Bunny, it wasn't a baseless statement at all. Go back and read the post - it was in response to your RIDICULOUS statement that they "might as well rename it Disney-Six Flags". That is the only part I quoted and directly replied to, and I stand by my statement; that sentance the silliest thing I have ever read on these boards. MGM is as about as far from a "Six Flags" experience as one can get and it's just ridiculous for you to say so.

If you had said, "I wish they'd rename the studios without saying studio" that would have been one thing, but the six flags thing was just idiotic.

You saying that "People have these romantic...." statement has got to be dumber then anything I wrote.

Case in point: READ THE DEDICATION TO THE PARK BY MICHAEL EISNER!!!!

"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."

Hmmmmm? Looks like someone intended the park to be "romantic" and "nostaligic" Hollywood that "never was, but always will be". So your factless personal opinion about the park basically is WRONG.

LOL. You simply don't understand what I am talking about. There is nothing wrong with romance and nostalgia as applied to theme, I'm talking about these notions people have of it ever being a "working" studio.

Since you don't seem to know what a romantic notion is, I'll explain it to you. It's when someone expects reality to follow suit to a romanticized idea in their head of how things were, or how they should be. It usually doesn't follow up with reality.

It has nothing to do with the THEME of the park, but this idea people have that somehow watching a REAL film production is some etherial experience. It's not - it's boring, slow, and not conducive to visitors.

If you actually read what you quoted, you'll see that it in no way says "come see real actual production!" it talks about the ideas and romance of Hollywood that never was; two distinct things. You are confusing the two.

And if you recall, WHICH YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T, the original park was basically a shell of a park where the "production studios" were IT with little actual amusement rides.

Now its all rides, the shows/attractions are all closing, and the term "Studios", which WAS the original concept, are all but GONE.

So that being that, why keep the Studios title? You might as well call it a church for it has as much preaching going on it as it has studio production going on in it.

Yes, I recall EXACTLY how it was, it's you who were "fooled".

MGM WAS NEVER, EVER A REAL WORKING STUDIO. That was all FAKE and done for the guests. VERY, VERY few actual productions were ever made there.

It's your imagination and Disney trickery. The Backlot tour? Remember when you used to drive through a "hot set" where they were filming a "music video" with riggings and lights and stuff and you just happened to go past as they were filming?

FAKE. Theme park actors. After your tram passed by, if you turn your head you'd have seen them resetting everything to do it again for the next tram tour.

Remember when you'd see some of the soundstages with some dressing, and they'd tell you that it was "ready for a new production", but never tell you which one or give you a title? Do you know why? BECAUSE IT WASN'T REAL. They just changed them out occasionally, and you can be 95% sure that any one you actually saw never was part of an actual production.

We've already discussed this in this thread, I guess you missed it. But it never, ever was a "working" production studio, though they did for a few years try to pretend. It never was. You could count the number of non-Disney productions that have been done there on one hand, and the amount of Disney productions on two.

The point of the MGM studios, as you conveniently quoted for me, was to recreate the "Hollywood that never was and always will be". That is a great definition of a romantic notion - something that people believe existed but never really did. It's based on false-nostalgia, but this is all in terms of THEMING, not the practicalities of actual film production work.

What I'm getting at is that there is a fact you seem to be missing :

MGM was never, ever the "working studio" some people claim it was (go search the IMDB - there is ONE film listed as ever produced with that as the primary location, and it was a TV movie from 1996). There were a few scattered productions in the 90's, but nothing of any note (that hasn't already been noted in this thread).

The reason for this is because it is just not practical for it to be one. It makes no sense for a producer to say, "Hey, let's spend all kinds of extra money to do what is essentially a location shoot so we can film in inadequate soundstages at a theme park...hey do you think they'll let tourists trample through too?"

It's all a pretty moot point, because it just is never happening. Disney-MGM Studios is a theme park with attractions based around an entertainment theme, and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that. That's what makes the idea of MGM being a working production studio a romantic notion : it's not practical for any of the parties involved, and even if they made it practical most guests would be pretty non-plussed by what actually goes on at a movie set; especially since most effects are digital these days there just isn't much to look at anyway.

What I don't understand is why people who seem to want this stuff so bad don't just visit Disneyland instead and then do the tours at the actual working studios in Hollywood where it IS more practical to do so. That's the center of filming, productions are there anyway, and the most notable tour, at Universal, was designed AROUND the productions, not the other way around. It's in the middle of Hollywood, which is why the combonation works there and does not in Florida.

The MGM you think existed, just like the Hollywood theme throughout the park, never did. It was an illusion that never came to be because it just didn't make sense for any of the parties involved.

AEfx

AEfx

Empty Nest, Golden Girls , Earnest saves Christmas, George of the Jungle, and I believe Adventures in Wonderland, all had ties to Residential Street.

Home Improvement did not as far as I know.

Well I guess someone will have to post some pictures, then. I know there was another house that people got excited about, and when someone earlier in the thread mentioned Home Improvement it definately rang a bell with me. As I said, though, I never watched that show so I can't confirm or deny.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom