Backlot Tour May Go Bye Bye

socalkdg

I agree, the section for The Mummy was pretty lame, but I'm assuming that it will be the next section to be replaced since Revenge of the Mummy opened, but I haven't gotten the chance to see the section for The Fast and the Furious. The fact is though that their tram is very enjoyable, even with a couple of lame elements, whereas now that Catastrophe Canyon and the Pearl Harbor thing have become lame and outdated, the MGM tram has nothing left, as opposed to 5 other attraction sections and another 5 or 6 very recognizable movie sets. As for the rest of the stuff you mentioned, no one has claimed that USH doesn't also need work, just that it has a far superior tram tour. BTTF in USO is being replaced though, so USH's will probably be replaced soon, and the Jurassic Park in USO needs lots more love than its USH counterpart. As for the two different Revenge of the Mummy rides, I thought USH's was better because it has a much longer section of track where the car goes backwards, though USO's did have much better air time.

I think the Movie Mania title for the new dark ride would be great, especially if it really utilized the different Pixar characters and became sort of a child's version of the GMR, especially with the rumored interactive element.
Glad you like the title. Any idea what will replace BTTF? TFATF has a robotic arm move a couple cars towards the tram and then has them hanging there. I've only seen pictures as I've yet to take advantage this year of the buy a day get the whole year free promotion.

I completely agree that USH's tram is better than DS, which is fine. I think another set piece would be very helpful(I'd actually drive right through the stunt show - don't know if thats feasable). Hmm, maybe a Pirates set.....

Legacy

Glad you like the title. Any idea what will replace BTTF? TFATF has a robotic arm move a couple cars towards the tram and then has them hanging there. I've only seen pictures as I've yet to take advantage this year of the buy a day get the whole year free promotion.

I completely agree that USH's tram is better than DS, which is fine. I think another set piece would be very helpful(I'd actually drive right through the stunt show - don't know if thats feasable). Hmm, maybe a Pirates set.....

BttF is going to be replaced by either a Simpsons attraction, or The Fast and the Furious (it still hasn't been decided, and concepts are being developed for both...)

nyy102

Any idea what will replace BTTF?

According to Screamscape, there are currently plans to put in a new simulator based on The Simpsons, and it will tie in to the Simpsons movie to be released next year. Here is that link.

NYY102 - Thank you SOO much for your posts. I thought at first that it was a bit long and contemplated skimming it. Once I read it I knew that you were on to something. Though this may seem cliche, I think this is one of the best posts I've read in my 3.5 years on this site. I don't remember any of your previous posts specifically, but I do remember your "location."

The only thing that I disagreed with was the Life Aquatic reference. As a film/entertainment major I rank this film in my top 10 of all time.... for similar reasons that Curb Your Enthusiasm is in my top 3 TV shows of all time. BUT... you did say "most people" don't remember the film- which I can probably agree with. However, it is immensely popular with 20-30 year olds and - long story short - I would argue is one of the stepping stones to the future of entertainment................. but enough entertainment theory. I think we can all agree that the attraction is a skull and bones of what it was... and is all around just 'sad.'

Glad to be appreciated, and I noticed as I was writing it just how long it was becoming, but I decided to post it and let everyone just skim it if they want. As for the whole Life Aquatic thing, I too greatly enjoyed the movie and I now have it on dvd, but even 15 minutes after leaving that tram I doubt that most people would remember that that movie is where the submarine was from, and thats if they remember seeing a submarine at all. The main point is that the tram tour, unlike most Disney, just isn't memorable. As for the movie, I personally feel that it was too good to make a lot of money or get widespread recognition, as I feel that entertainment today, especially film, is driven overwhelmingly by teens, and quite frankly they watch a lot of terrible crap. I am happy to say that that stereotype does not apply to me, as I almost never miss the films nominated for Oscars and the smaller indies, which happen to be far better than the blockbusters and mainstream comedies and horror (a genre I feel is dead and in desperate need of a rebirth) films that are making all of the money. That is my opinion as a film lover and as someone who wants to study film in college (only 2 weeks away), but as a lover of amusement parks, the fact is that the rides in amusement parks have to be linked to what has the greatest name recognition, and those are those blockbusters, which Universal has and Disney just doesn't.

PintoColvig

Do any of you remember the ORIGINAL backlot tour? After the ride, you got to take a walking tour along glass hallways looking down into the soundstages while in production, TV production rooms etc. Then you got to see all the props up close for the Bette Midler moviette.
Does anyone remember when they removed that part of the tour?

I agree with the majority that the backstage tour is useless, since there isn't really any more "backstage" to see.
I remember it. I remember seeing the set for the HBO mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon" that Tom Hanks was producing. I remember that it was pretty cool to get a glimpse of it.

I also remember taking the tram ride once just after Disney signed its partnership with Jim Henson. I look up over at one of the office windows and saw a handwritten sign that said "Jim Henson's office". It was a joke, I'm sure. He died just a month or so after that. :cry:

Chape19714

Too bad you couldn't have the trams drive though the car stunt show, with or without any cars going by you(better with). You could just divert the tram when an actual show was taking place(or imagine actually incorporating the tram into the show.
Liability Liability Liability

Unfortunately the truth.

Pete C

If they get rid of the backlot tour, and they no longer have any working studios, then what is the point of calling the park Disney Studios??? They need to re-brand this entire park into Disney's Movie World or something new.

I seem to recall (from my childhood) a part of the tour where some kids got to emulate the 'bees' part of Honey I Shrunk the Kids in front of a blue screen. Does anybody have any facts about this? When it was put in or taken out? What tour stop was it before or after?

My brother and I got to ride the bee back when we were little. I believe it was changed to home improvement sets after that. Since then, I can't remember. I think 101 dalmations was there too?

iheartdisney91

no i love the back lot tour! and i loved the hunchback show but they closed that!:brick: i hope they do it to the toy barn because i really never liked woody and buzz LOL i'm a more rex, and ham fan:wave:

Spaced Out Dude

Original Poster
My brother and I got to ride the bee back when we were little. I believe it was changed to home improvement sets after that. Since then, I can't remember. I think 101 dalmations was there too?

I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the backlot tour. It was Superstar Television, I think. :veryconfu

WDWFanatic

Let me say that the fast and furious attraction at universal hollywood was a waste of space. it was so dumb having the cars dance and all that bull. What a waste of money.

and yes that was superstar television also included cheers and gilligans island

Maryssa*

I seem to recall (from my childhood) a part of the tour where some kids got to emulate the 'bees' part of Honey I Shrunk the Kids in front of a blue screen. Does anybody have any facts about this? When it was put in or taken out? What tour stop was it before or after?
I got to do that part. That was in 89 i think? That was when the tour started with the miniature boats thing, then through the prop warehouses, and i think then was teh bee part. THen there was a break at the roger rabbit store and then the tram part started (as much as i remember, it was a long time ago!)

I just remember the line for the tour being like 2 hours long and it being my favorite part of the park >.< I'm sad to see how it has degraded through the years. The whole point of the park is about studios =(

WDWFanatic

I remember that bee part with the greenscreen, it was the first thing they had in that part then it later became home improvement where you nailed a piece of drywall against tim, they had the whole set down there. Then it was 101 dalmations where you rode the bike pulled by the dog. i think thats the order it went.:veryconfu

Spaced Out Dude

Original Poster
I got to do that part. That was in 89 i think? That was when the tour started with the miniature boats thing, then through the prop warehouses, and i think then was teh bee part. THen there was a break at the roger rabbit store and then the tram part started (as much as i remember, it was a long time ago!)

I just remember the line for the tour being like 2 hours long and it being my favorite part of the park >.< I'm sad to see how it has degraded through the years. The whole point of the park is about studios =(

It's been said that the bee green was not the Backlot Tour. It was Superstar Television. :cool:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
It's been said that the bee green was not the Backlot Tour. It was Superstar Television. :cool:

The Bee from Honey I shrunk the Kids was on the backlot tour, not superstar television. My brother and I were chosen for the bee scene around 1989.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom