back lot tours

kingslyZISSOU

Do you mean Walt's plane that is behind the LMA stadium? I wouldn;t want them to get rid of that no way! I think it should be cleaned up and moved to the front of the park and placed to the right before you enter in the area where they place a xmas tree.

I agree, that plane shouldn't just be tucked away on the backlot tour, it should be a center piece somewhere. I mean, it was very key tool in the history of the Disney company, and also, I believe its the only structure located on Disney property that he stepped foot in. Im not trying to make it sound like walt should be worshiped, but it is a very important aircraft.

hpyhnt 1000

If what was heard is true, its time for this attraction to go bye-bye. It used to be quite interesting, with the homesand Catastrophe Canyon and what not. Now, its a big waste of space, and just making it into a show and walking tour is pointless. Either find a way to make it interesting again, or get rid of it. Too much space at DHS is devoted to it to let it sit in its current state.

Oh, and agree with others - Walt's plane deserves a better fate than to be rusting away in "The Boneyard".

mickeymatt

I was there in March and we rode the BT. What a huge bore. Not the ride I remember when I was younger. It is just so dated. In fact, most of HS is dated. That said, I loved LMA and rockin roller coaster.

tdonald

The Backlot Tour takes up far too much space that could be used for mucch better purposes. If Disney would demolish the BT and LMA! there would be so much room for expansion! The only problem I see is that the Streets of America and other pathways aren't wide enough for that large of crowds.

Dskipper

Original Poster
oh yeah sorry forgot to include that he also said how the plans stood now it would become part of pixar place. IF budget isnt taken away from it, and he said it was a big if. so sounds like there are plans for it but who know.

Brian_B

The backlot tour was awesome in the early to mid 90s when they actually made films and shows at the studios. You actually could see some things that were being used in current films. If/when they remove backlot, I really do hope they move pizza planet to pixar place (which would make a lot of sense), and turn the current pizza planet into what it was originally - a nice, air conditioned dedicated go-at-your-own-pace prop museum. The prop warehouse is the only reason I go to the backlot tour anymore (mostly because I am a huge nerd).

- Brian

I agree, that plane shouldn't just be tucked away on the backlot tour, it should be a center piece somewhere. I mean, it was very key tool in the history of the Disney company, and also, I believe its the only structure located on Disney property that he stepped foot in. Im not trying to make it sound like walt should be worshiped, but it is a very important aircraft.

Ok, you can keep the plane, but put it in One Man's Dream so it won't get damaged when you bulldoze CC.

Legacy

The backlot tour was awesome in the early to mid 90s when they actually made films and shows at the studios. You actually could see some things that were being used in current films. If/when they remove backlot, I really do hope they move pizza planet to pixar place (which would make a lot of sense), and turn the current pizza planet into what it was originally - a nice, air conditioned dedicated go-at-your-own-pace prop museum. The prop warehouse is the only reason I go to the backlot tour anymore (mostly because I am a huge nerd).

- Brian

Put Ratatoullie's in Pixar Place and turn Pizza Planet into the Great Gonzo's Pizzaria like it should be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Get ride of the lame tram ride and BRING BACK the walking tour. I'd much rather see some REAL backstage filming or work going on in a soundstage..
If only - but the backstage area including the stage gallerys and post production areas are long gone.
It always amazes me that people want to see this attraction go but are quite happy to let sounds dangerous take up valuable space!
We`re not happy to see it go - the original was fantastic (from someone who works in TV too!) but now it just needs to be put out of its misery.

imagineer boy

I just wish the park was a real working studio again. If they made the park a working studio again, and gave the backlot tour some encounters like Journey to the Center of the Earth, then it really would be a great ride.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Take the attraction out of its misery. It used to be so great but it was horrible when I rode it in August. I know that the ride is bad now but may one of the reasons that it will be going away be because of gas prices?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nah. It`s been in decline (and been talked about being scrapped) for a few years now.

For those who don`t know what the fuss is about, I decided it`s been a while since I did one of my little diagrams......so here ya go. Red is the original tram and walking tour, green is what is left today.
Tour_1990_and_2008.jpg

tirian

Nah. It`s been in decline (and been talked about being scrapped) for a few years now.

For those who don`t know what the fuss is about, I decided it`s been a while since I did one of my little diagrams......so here ya go. Red is the original tram and walking tour, green is what is left today.
Tour_1990_and_2008.jpg

A NEW MARNI DIAGRAM! WOOHOO!

{and there was much rejoicing}

;)

tirian

When I was a kid, the original Backstage Tour was one of my favorite attractions at WDW.

Now I just go on it to see the prop warehouse, Catastrophe Canyon, and the old 1980s-era restrooms (I'm not kidding).

cndrellagrl

I LOVE the backlot tour! It is always a must see for us when we go. I would love to see some updates though, cause it really hasn't been the same since they took the houses away. While it does need some TLC, I would hate to see it go. Lots of good memories for my family.

rabbit1

I remember the tram tour back when it went through a real "backlot" area, and walking through the sound stages, but I don't recall back to the very early days of picking up the tram at the front of the park or taking it through New York street. Was there much to see along that first stretch in the tram ride?

RSoxNo1

I miss the Roger Rabbit area, but only remember bits and pieces of the 3 hour version of the tour (the Honey I shrunk the kids portion, the lottery ticket, stuff like that).

Does anyone have a time frame for it's closure/removal? One thing I would recommend to those that have the chance, is to go to LMA, and sit high up in the stands where you can see Catastrophe Canyon as you walk up or down the stairs. Watching how fast the water fills up is pretty cool to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom