back lot tours

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember the tram tour back when it went through a real "backlot" area, and walking through the sound stages, but I don't recall back to the very early days of picking up the tram at the front of the park or taking it through New York street. Was there much to see along that first stretch in the tram ride?
Welcome to the boards!

There are a couple of threads about this elsewhere if you want to search, but briefly the original entrance and queue was where the Animation entrance is today. Trams were boarded behind the entrance - some of the old load area still exists - and they looped around to head to scenery and wardrobe. Back then the 1996 Animation extention or the 1997 parking structure didn`t exist - there were more studio bungalows - and you got more of a `working studio` feel.

The NYS route exited briefly until late 1990 when it was partly, then fully, opened to foot traffic since the park was bursting at the seams with guests. You didn`t see any more than you would on foot, but in `90 there was a mock D ick Tracey tram hold up.

After the tram ride - unloading near todays load - you had chance for toilets and refreshments before the walking tour, beginning in the water tank. You then progressed through props and effects, the 3 stages, post production (where One Mans Dream is today) and then to the Walt Disney Theatre for a view of `rushes` - where Voyage of the Little Mermaid it today. The exit from the entire tour was where todays One Mans Dream exit is.

Originally once you got on the tram you had to take the full tour. Mickey Avenue (todays Pixar Place) was backstage and there was no Muppets area so there was no foot route back into the park.

Disneybub

The thing is they changed the name to DHS and its not really a "studios" like it used to be, i agree it is a waste of space, If they had been updating it over the years it wouldnt be so bad, but i think they've got lazy and just left it till its too late.

The Backlot Tour takes up far too much space that could be used for mucch better purposes. If Disney would demolish the BT and LMA! there would be so much room for expansion! The only problem I see is that the Streets of America and other pathways aren't wide enough for that large of crowds.
i agree!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The thing is they changed the name to DHS and its not really a "studios" like it used to be, i agree it is a waste of space, If they had been updating it over the years it wouldnt be so bad, but i think they've got lazy and just left it till its too late.
It wasn`t lazyness. Networks and productions wen`t interested in moving from the west coast or the north east to shoot major productions in Orlando. Central Florida had the manpower, the technicians and the facilities to provide whatever was needed. Indeed, D-MGMs equipment was to the most part state of the art. They just couldn`t persuade productions to use the facility.

Universal had the same problem. Building a rollercoaster next to a soundstage is the final nail in the coffin at USF for production. When WDSP was built it wasn`t billed or constructed as a studios park - it was a park about the studios.

jt04

It wasn`t lazyness. Networks and productions wen`t interested in moving from the west coast or the north east to shoot major productions in Orlando. Central Florida had the manpower, the technicians and the facilities to provide whatever was needed. Indeed, D-MGMs equipment was to the most part state of the art. They just couldn`t persuade productions to use the facility.

Universal had the same problem. Building a rollercoaster next to a soundstage is the final nail in the coffin at USF for production. When WDSP was built it wasn`t billed or constructed as a studios park - it was a park about the studios.

And DHS will take it to the next level by having different "Studios" constructed as "Lands". It will be very positive in the long run.

nanna

Backstage near the parking structure, there is a office building which has 'Animation' over the entrance. I assume no animating goes on in there any more (correct me if i'm wrong), but what do they use that building for now? just regular offices?

tirian

Backstage near the parking structure, there is a office building which has 'Animation' over the entrance. I assume no animating goes on in there any more (correct me if i'm wrong), but what do they use that building for now? just regular offices?

All offices. I've spent a lot of time there myself.

sknydave

Movies are still filmed at Universal. I know someone who was filming the latest Beethoven (the dog) kids movie there a couple of months ago.

Of course, I use the term "movie" liberally. :)

maryszhi

i do think the ride needs to be updated. the whole thing is old, and needs to be fun and exciting. i think they should get some modern movies to replace the old. also new movie effects would be awesome

nmj91385

I loved the tour back when the "houses" were there. My favorite was the golden girls' house.

As far as the preshow, how has one not heard of pearl harbor? It only depicts one of the most important things in US history.

Polyman

Backlot Tour trams must be on the way out. There are now 3 full-length Backlot trams (up from 2) rotting away in their own boneyard along Woodpecker Lane. I'm sure many other CM's on these boards have seen them.

jt04

Backlot Tour trams must be on the way out. There are now 3 full-length Backlot trams (up from 2) rotting away in their own boneyard along Woodpecker Lane. I'm sure many other CM's on these boards have seen them.

Soon to be available on mouse surplus

MickeyspalJim

I can remember the houses on the tour as well The Golden Girls house and others were decorated with Holiday decorations. I also remember the Roger the Rabbit part too as well!, We used to be able to crawl under the steamroller and get a funny photo of being crushed by it. LOL. Anyone have some photos from that part of the ride? Would love to see them. Thanks.:)

redkoala245

I can remember the houses on the tour as well The Golden Girls house and others were decorated with Holiday decorations. I also remember the Roger the Rabbit part too as well!, We used to be able to crawl under the steamroller and get a funny photo of being crushed by it. LOL. Anyone have some photos from that part of the ride? Would love to see them. Thanks.

I remember that also. Good times… :) And they had Alice's house there, I think. Where are the houses now located? I know that was taken over by Lights Motors Action.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I remember that also. Good times… :) And they had Alice's house there, I think. Where are the houses now located? I know that was taken over by Lights Motors Action.

They were bulldozed into rubbish and hauled away to the landfill without a second thought or a single tear shed. :(

tirian

Am I really the only person that gets a kick out of the completely unchanged, 1980s-era, "confetti tile" bathrooms on the Backlot Tour? I think they're hilarious. :eek:

Rob562

I also remember the Roger the Rabbit part too as well!, We used to be able to crawl under the steamroller and get a funny photo of being crushed by it. LOL. Anyone have some photos from that part of the ride? Would love to see them. Thanks.:)

FYI, the steamroller photo-op is still there (at least it was a couple years ago). It was in the store you walk through after exiting the AFI store at the Tram Tour exit.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom