back lot tours

Disneybub

I some how randomly remember the tree from tarzan.... and when you drove by he'd swing past..... am i right? or is it my imagination?

SewIn2Disney

Is the costume shop and prop warehouse still used? Every time in the past few trips that I have gone through there, there has not been any people inside. I'm not sure if they've just gone home for the day or whatever, but how I would love to get to go inside. I'm an avid sewer (as in person who sews....not place to drain waste...), and if I could choose any job in WDW, it would be to work in that building, sewing costumes. I always try to get some pics/vid as I go through, but it's so fast!

After all the talk about the Wickets Warehouse being open, I went in there last weekend to take some pics (I love abandoned buildings!), and my boyfriend noticed this sign just above the enterance:
l_9ea2df8857d6cd77d6d75ef058f18524.jpg

I A) love the old Walt Disney Pictures icon, B) Love Home Improvement----was that actually taped at DHS? and C) What's up with the Jim Henson prop shop? Was that part of the tour too?

I am too young to have gone on the original backlot tour. The earliest tour I remember was when the houses were still there (And I loved the Golden Girls back then too!), but never when the backlot tour was the main draw for the park.

redkoala245

Is the costume shop and prop warehouse still used? Every time in the past few trips that I have gone through there, there has not been any people inside. I'm not sure if they've just gone home for the day or whatever, but how I would love to get to go inside. I'm an avid sewer (as in person who sews....not place to drain waste...), and if I could choose any job in WDW, it would be to work in that building, sewing costumes. I always try to get some pics/vid as I go through, but it's so f
One time I think I saw people in there.

sknydave

Home Improvement was filmed at the Disney studios in California. I only know this because I saw the E true Hollywood story 2 days ago

tdonald

The Backlot Tour is just a shell of what it was. It's almost sad, quite uninteresting for much of it, and outdated. I'm ready to see it go (and I don't say that often).

Rob562

I A) love the old Walt Disney Pictures icon, B) Love Home Improvement----was that actually taped at DHS? and C) What's up with the Jim Henson prop shop? Was that part of the tour too?

I am too young to have gone on the original backlot tour. The earliest tour I remember was when the houses were still there (And I loved the Golden Girls back then too!), but never when the backlot tour was the main draw for the park.

That building was part of the old walking tour. The walking tour originally started with the water tank, looped around and into that building, and then continued on to the enclosed viewing catwalk above the soundstages. (You can still see the entrance into the building in question now, off to your right as you leave the water tank area)
I believe the building had two rooms. One was an area where they showed off some of the Jim Henson creature puppets/AAs. The next was a blue-screen demonstration where they had the oversized bee prop from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and they had two kid volunteers from the audience on the bee and they inserted them into some filme clips.

In later years, the HISTK stuff was removed and they put in some set recreations from Home Improvement, and took a bluescreen scene originally used in the Superstar TV show to put a guest in Al's role next to Tim Allen.
After the tram tour started using the water tank, they still had some tours going through here under the name "Backstage Pass". But you entered from Mickey Avenue near Soundstage 1. You then only did the creature shop & home improvement rooms, the walkways (looking out into nothing much being filmed), and then the room where Narnia is now, which had props and sets from 101 Dalmations (at least when I was there).

-Rob

SewIn2Disney

Thanks for clearing that up!
I knew that they had the superstar television, but I was under the impression that it was where sounds dangerous is now. I now understand that it was moved to the tour.

I love when Disney leaves things like that up.....gives us Disney fans something to talk about!

Rob562

Thanks for clearing that up!
I knew that they had the superstar television, but I was under the impression that it was where sounds dangerous is now. I now understand that it was moved to the tour.

Well..... It was just the Home Improvement segment that was moved to the walking tour. It was perhaps a 90-second scene from the 30+ minute Superstar TV show.

Superstar TV was housed in the theater that American Idol is going into. It's the larger of the two buildings facing Echo Lake. SSTV was on the Great Movie Ride end of the building. The scenes presented spanned decades of TV, from I Love Lucy and the Apollo moon landing, to the Tonight Show and Home Improvement.

The theater that Sounds Dangerous is in (on the Star Tours end of the building) originally was the Monster Sound Show where 4 or 5 audience volunteers added their own sound effects to a Martin Short & Chevy Chase short film. It went through a couple versions for a year or two where people would add sound effects to shows from Disney Saturday Morning cartoons, before it became strictly the binaural sound presentation that it is now, with no audience participation at all.

-Rob

eddy21

Backstage near the parking structure, there is a office building which has 'Animation' over the entrance. I assume no animating goes on in there any more (correct me if i'm wrong), but what do they use that building for now? just regular offices?

That was Roy Disneys baby .Mr Eisner killed it and sent animation to slave labor over seas.

uklad79

5 yrs Look closely at the structure when you drive around back see the rust?. How much weight do you think those 3 huge water resevoirs are holding?

Hardly any rust for the amount of water around and the amount of rain in Orlando. Any rust is superficial and would cause no problems to the structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom