Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Tony Perkis

Maybe it was an amber ale?
Byw... the local beer store must have made a fortune!
That’d be disappointing.

Excuse my childish humor here.

For a film that had two 69 jokes, a beer with a 6.8% alcohol content is a wasted opportunity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Captain marvel is not a bad movie...it will look better if they develop her character.

The Brie Larson hate because she doesn’t “know her place” is beyond stupid...grow up, people.

I watched ragnarok again the other day and it’s still silly and off tone. The kind of eye candy that makes for bad movies. They shoulda called it “Thor fast and furious: revenge of the fallen”

But that’s just me...so opinions vary.

If they make more of that...however...mcu will fall out of the main stream.

Tony Perkis

Captain marvel is not a bad movie...it will look better if they develop her character.

The Brie Larson hate because she doesn’t “know her place” is beyond stupid...grow up, people.

I watched ragnarok again the other day and it’s still silly and off tone. The kind of eye candy that makes for bad movies. They shoulda called it “Thor fast and furious: revenge of the fallen”

I will say, I understand why people have largely different opinions on the MCU.

Not thinking Ragnarok isn’t the best Thor film by a country mile isn’t one of them. That’s as close to an objective truth in film criticism that I can think of.

EDIT: This logic only works if you think the current funnier, more self aware version of the character is your favorite version within the MCU.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Not thinking Ragnarok isn’t the best Thor film by a country mile isn’t one of them. That’s as close to an objective truth in film criticism that I can think of.

EDIT: This logic only works if you think the current funnier, more self aware version of the character is your favorite version within the MCU.
So are we gonna get a beta ray bill team up in the next Guardians? Edit...looked it up.. he is !

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m not gonna tell you not to like ragnarok...but you can’t counter with “everyone thinks it’s the best”

That has just been disproven. I’m not a huge fan...that’s ok. I think the cap movies are the best mcu movies by FAR. And that’s over now anyway.

The mcu is in a state of transition. Disney has chosen to eliminate some of the biggest stars for cheaper replacements. That may be the right move...we’ll see.

But I’m sure the going “deeper” into comic book storylines of yesteryear is the wrong movie. You can’t expect the audience to have more commitment than they’ve shown...they’re pushing it.

We shall see one way or another.

Tony Perkis

I’m not gonna tell you not to like ragnarok...but you can’t counter with “everyone thinks it’s the best”

That has just been disproven. I’m not a huge fan...that’s ok. I think the cap movies are the best mcu movies by FAR. And that’s over now anyway.

The mcu is in a state of transition. Disney has chosen to eliminate some of the biggest stars for cheaper replacements. That may be the right move...we’ll see.

But I’m sure the going “deeper” into comic book storylines of yesteryear is the wrong movie. You can’t expect the audience to have more commitment than they’ve shown...they’re pushing it.

We shall see one way or another.
I didn’t counter with “everyone thinks” as a final verdict.

I countered with “if your favorite version of the character is the current iteration”, then I don’t understand how the last film most largely responsible for that sign considered isn’t the best film in that series.

Wendy Pleakley

It’s so high on my list because it’s a film that doesn’t need the MCU to stand on its own. It’s why I love both Guardians films, Ant-Man 2, and Ragnarok so much.

I credit Feige a ton for this expanded universe cohesion that’s actually ridiculously well done, but I like the films that tell stories that don’t require the larger universes to lean on to succeed are usually the best.

Except Captain Marvel. That film just sucks.

This brings up the interesting question, of how interconnected should these movies be?

For me, I wanted a bit more of it leading up to Infinity War. Maybe someone will point out what I missed, but I never got the feeling that the encounter with Thanos and the threat of the infinity stones was something that was sufficiently developed, expected, or meaningful.

Thanos made brief end-credit appearances in a few movies, including wearing the glove in Age of Ultron. GOTG showed us the destructive power of the stones, briefly. Where was it established that Thanos was an inevitable threat, and that the stones were his ultimate goal? I just didn't see it. When Banner warns, "Thanos is coming", why was this seen as a big deal?

Infinity War was fun because of all these established characters interacting with each other, but I didn't find the previous films did much in terms of making the overall plot meaningful.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No

If I have to wait for another movie to tell me about the movie before for character development that tells me how good of a character/movie it truly it was.

Disney Analyst

So can anyone help me understand time and how it is going to play into things now... Loki disappeared with an Infinity Stone in that one timeline, does this effect the current one? What happens now? What about Gamora? She left the past before she did any of the stuff from the current timeline, wouldn't that effect memories, how things work?

Time stuff really screws my head in.

Wendy Pleakley

So can anyone help me understand time and how it is going to play into things now... Loki disappeared with an Infinity Stone in that one timeline, does this effect the current one? What happens now? What about Gamora? She left the past before she did any of the stuff from the current timeline, wouldn't that effect memories, how things work?

Time stuff really screws my head in.

Time Travel as a plot device isn't my favourite, for just this reason. There's just way to reconcile it logically.

My understanding is what they established in the movie is that time travel can't change the present. Otherwise, Gamora travelling to the future means she wouldn't be sacrificed for the soul stone, and the future would be completely changed. If that happens, the Snap never happens, so they never travel back in time and she doesn't travel to the future. It's all very paradoxical. It would be like Back to the Future where reality changes around you due to changes someone made in the past.

Instead, it sounds like what happens is that any changes that happen in the timeline create alternative realities. There's a notion in the comics of a multi-verse, where history unfolds in a different way in multiple timelines. The original timeline, however, remains unchanged.

I think, for time travel movies, it's best not to overthink it. Just accept it as an (admittedly) unrealistic plot device, no more or less real than a man who turns into a Hulk.

Disney Analyst

Time Travel as a plot device isn't my favourite, for just this reason. There's just way to reconcile it logically.

My understanding is what they established in the movie is that time travel can't change the present. Otherwise, Gamora travelling to the future means she wouldn't be sacrificed for the soul stone, and the future would be completely changed. If that happens, the Snap never happens, so they never travel back in time and she doesn't travel to the future. It's all very paradoxical. It would be like Back to the Future where reality changes around you due to changes someone made in the past.

Instead, it sounds like what happens is that any changes that happen in the timeline create alternative realities. There's a notion in the comics of a multi-verse, where history unfolds in a different way in multiple timelines. The original timeline, however, remains unchanged.

I think, for time travel movies, it's best not to overthink it. Just accept it as an (admittedly) unrealistic plot device, no more or less real than a man who turns into a Hulk.

Ahh, thank you! I am definitely willing to accept a multi-verse, especially after the recent Spider-Man. So it makes sense, you alter the timeline, you've branched and created a new timeline.

Wendy Pleakley

Ahh, thank you! I am definitely willing to accept a multi-verse, especially after the recent Spider-Man. So it makes sense, you alter the timeline, you've branched and created a new timeline.

I'm not convinced they need a multi-verse concept in the movies, but we'll see where it goes.

It can work in some cases if they want a fresh start. DC Comics has "reset" their story-lines a few times this way. The new Star Trek movies used it effectively, allowing them go back to the original series time-frame while still telling new stories.

Do they really need it in the movies? Will it just be confusing? Does it make it too easy to bring back characters at will? Want to bring back Black Widow or Captain America? No problem, just pluck their younger selves from an alternate timeline.

Disney Analyst

I'm not convinced they need a multi-verse concept in the movies, but we'll see where it goes.

It can work in some cases if they want a fresh start. DC Comics has "reset" their story-lines a few times this way. The new Star Trek movies used it effectively, allowing them go back to the original series time-frame while still telling new stories.

Do they really need it in the movies? Will it just be confusing? Does it make it too easy to bring back characters at will? Want to bring back Black Widow or Captain America? No problem, just pluck their younger selves from an alternate timeline.

I just meant I accept it in my head and in terms of being able to let it go, I hope they don't get into it any further haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom