Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

SuddenStorm

It just beat Titanic too. Little under $600 million to go for Avatar

Really insane. It's amazing to see how effective a franchise can be when it's backed by people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the source material. When it's being guided by someone who cares about both making the fans, and the general public happy. Quite different than the "subvert expectations at the expense of the good storytelling" approach or the "fire every director I hire" approach Lucasfilm has taken.

Makes me wonder if WDI's "We don't care what the Disneyland fans think, let's change everything" approach is gonna eventually start causing problems.

socalifornian

It hasn't sold more tickets than Titanic.
I’m sure that’s true right now just based on face value ticket prices between ‘97 and ‘19, overall money tho 🙌🏼
EA99D993-FD2A-4BA8-AB07-10285598D424.jpeg

socalifornian

Really insane. It's amazing to see how effective a franchise can be when it's backed by people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the source material. When it's being guided by someone who cares about both making the fans, and the general public happy. Quite different than the "subvert expectations at the expense of the good storytelling" approach or the "fire every director I hire" approach Lucasfilm has taken.

Makes me wonder if WDI's "We don't care what the Disneyland fans think, let's change everything" approach is gonna eventually start causing problems.
This old interview really did it for me. Kathleen knows how to pick em

sedati

If we're reading these blueprints correctly, Disney has made an enormous mistake. The similarity between the two rides will be noticed by all but the most oblivious guest.

Yes, but let's let Pirates and Small World show how a similar system can be utilized to very different effect.

fctiger

Titanic does have at least one theatrical re release under it's belt, as well as a far longer time in theaters. Avengers beating it in a week is a huge accomplishment... though I wonder if Avengers is gonna fall of hard since everyone has already seen it.

That's sort of what made Titanic so amazing is that it stayed popular for so long to climb to that spot (and when ticket prices averaged around $5-6 in America and much less in other parts of the world). In fact all the $2+ billion films spent several months to get there. TFA and IW took only about two months but it still took some time. For Endgame to get here in its second week is absolutely bonkers lol. I have a feeling its going to slow down hard by next weekend but who knows? Fandango reported 85% more people are buying return tickets then they did for IW so thats pretty amazing on its own since so many people watched IW over and over again. I saw it three times in the theaters myself and definitely plan to see Endgame again when I get time.

It is definitely the first film that could beat Avatar but I will wait until next weekend to see its chances.

Last edited:

Mike S

So, he basically made the "Alien Encounter" of Star Wars films. Took risks, tried new things- people left with wildly different opinions.
Except Alien Encounter was done as an original idea. For a huge mega franchise like Star Wars the process of wanting half of your audience to hate it shouldn’t be applied.

Imo, the guy’s a troll and that video proves it. He actively wanted to rile up a hornets nest.

socalifornian

Except Alien Encounter was done as an original idea. For a huge mega franchise like Star Wars the process of wanting half of your audience to hate it shouldn’t be applied.

Imo, the guy’s a troll and that video proves it. He actively wanted to rile up a hornets nest.
It’s like he completely forgot and/or disregarded that he was making #8, as much as Disney likes hiding the episode numbers. If he was given anything it should’ve been a standalone, yet it should be nothing. His trilogy makes me nervous

Mike S

What he's expressing is not an uncommon sentiment among artists.
All this backlash has me far more worried that we'll be getting only safe and familiar from here on.
It doesn’t have to be a choice between two extremes. The MCU imo is in the happy medium. There’s plenty that’s different from the actual source material but it still works and fans are still very happy overall.

Let’s bring the focus back on how much Disney’s Marvel plans seem to stink though.

Mike S

Well, they are safe and familiar plans. I'm sure they will do well, but don't seem to be taking any risks.
Something of a more ambitious scale wouldn’t be a risk though. Like SWL it would have people beyond excited. I’d argue the current plan is them taking a risk of letting people down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom