Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

MarvelCharacterNerd

Well... there are other franchises -- in the most loosest use of the word -- that could put the MCU to shame:
  • Westerns
  • WWII movies

These two genres technically exist in the same universe and often share the same historical characters. But the point is that they both had hundreds of movies with a good chunk of them being very successful. And their success spanned decades. For Westerns... almost a hundred years and we still get a well received and successful Western. Both had some dry spots, but, at times rebounded in popularity.

Right now, not only is the MCU hot, but so many other non-MCU superhero movies. Most famously, DCEU. But also a ton of indie movies, TV series, and animated series. Some of which have become popular.

Black Widow, Shang-Chi, The Eternals... was their lack of block blusteriness from the pandemic or genre fatigue?

<looks at Spider-Man projections>.... I'll say the pandemic.
If you're looking at genre as connected franchise, I'll admit I also thought of Westerns but my second thought was Musicals -

"In a world where people randomly break into song and dance to express their feelings..." :D

Also had hundreds of movies spanning decades with still current success stories and ebb and flow based on people getting tired of them after a while.

That said, I don't actual consider a genre a franchise - though you might make a case for MGM musicals with certain casts being a franchise unto themselves (i.e. Astaire/Rogers, Gene Kelly, and even Danny Kaye and the Goldwyn Girls who always featured into Goldwyn films)...

No Name

Well... there are other franchises -- in the most loosest use of the word -- that could put the MCU to shame:
  • Westerns
  • WWII movies

These two genres technically exist in the same universe and often share the same historical characters. But the point is that they both had hundreds of movies with a good chunk of them being very successful. And their success spanned decades. For Westerns... almost a hundred years and we still get a well received and successful Western. Both had some dry spots, but, at times rebounded in popularity.

Right now, not only is the MCU hot, but so many other non-MCU superhero movies. Most famously, DCEU. But also a ton of indie movies, TV series, and animated series. Some of which have become popular.

Black Widow, Shang-Chi, The Eternals... was their lack of block blusteriness from the pandemic or genre fatigue?

<looks at Spider-Man projections>.... I'll say the pandemic.
Yeah that is true, although of course the fair comparison there would be lumping all super hero movies together.

truecoat

Well most franchises simply can’t have that many movies or there would be severe burnout and they’d lose money. Heck Bob I. cited burnout as the reason they were cutting down on Star Wars films, and that’s Star Wars! The fact that Marvel was able to put out 23 movies over only 11 years, 22 of which were profitable, all while building up a fan base toward Infinity War and Endgame’s 2 and 2.7 billion grosses, is pretty impressive.

23 movies, $23 billion. Around $1 billion per movie. Around Harry Potter levels, but almost 3x the movies.

Burnout wasn't a factor in Star Wars, it wasn't going in the right direction. We will have 2 or 3 maybe more Star Wars series in the next year alone. Having people (Favreau and Filoni) who gets Star Wars goes a long way.

CaptinEO

Burnout wasn't a factor in Star Wars, it wasn't going in the right direction. We will have 2 or 3 maybe more Star Wars series in the next year alone. Having people (Favreau and Filoni) who gets Star Wars goes a long way.
Burnout was a part of it in addition to the direction it was going in. Star Wars isn't made to have a movie every year. Or in the case of Solo and Last Jedi, every 6 months.

It's too much. I love Star Wars and all but they made too much too soon.

Mandalorian was good until it turned into cameo fan service/synergy. Now it has the same issues as a lot of Disney Star Wars because they tie it into existing characters but don't know what to actually do with those characters.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Warning!! Star Wars tangent incoming!!!

1639424479780.png

truecoat

Burnout was a part of it in addition to the direction it was going in. Star Wars isn't made to have a movie every year. Or in the case of Solo and Last Jedi, every 6 months.

It's too much. I love Star Wars and all but they made too much too soon.

Mandalorian was good until it turned into cameo fan service/synergy. Now it has the same issues as a lot of Disney Star Wars because they tie it into existing characters but don't know what to actually do with those characters.

question understand GIF

MarvelCharacterNerd

Okay - when "mobile order a candy bar" is one of the "10 Things You Don't Want to Miss when Visiting Avengers Campus", even I'll call that a reach and I like the place more than most...

UNCgolf

Okay - when "mobile order a candy bar" is one of the "10 Things You Don't Want to Miss when Visiting Avengers Campus", even I'll call that a reach and I like the place more than most...

The fact that three of them are basically "eat food", one being the mobile ordering you mentioned and the other two talking about food carts, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Surely they could have come up with a better list.

mickEblu

This land desperately needs that E ticket. I hope that they rethink it and it doesn’t end up being a screen ride. That would be worth the delay

mickEblu

“There is so much to do, see, taste and discover during any visit to Avengers Campus – and so many thrilling adventures for recruits of all ages to experience.”

I can’t:

A rethemed ride that’s been there since 2004 that didn’t need fixing that doesn’t even look or feel like it’s part of the land.

Toy Slangers: A Spider-Man Adventure

Instagram food that doesn’t taste good

Meet and Greet Central

The Stuntronic is really cool though minus the cringey pre show

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

I haven't tried it yet myself but have heard is quite tasty.

The only thing is, shawarma is thinly sliced meat stacked on a skewer, roasted vertically, then sliced off as it cooks... vs the cubed chicken in sauce that Disney serves.

J4546

Avengers Campus is fine to me. Its not Cars Land or GE level immersion and rides, but for the first phase it offers a major e-ticket GotG tower (even though its a reskinned ToT and I get some people dont like it, I like it a lot though) and a mid level dark ride with WS. Also a bunch of shows. The main stage show, the spiderman show, GotG dance off, the t'chal women show, and the dr strange magic show area. I cant wait for phase 2, but as is right now I still think its a pretty good land. But I aso totally get that it can seem underwhelming given how much hype marvel has. Also the land really looks best at night. The nighttime lighting all over CA is pretty spectacular

mickEblu

I haven't tried it yet myself but have heard is quite tasty.

The only thing is, shawarma is thinly sliced meat stacked on a skewer, roasted vertically, then sliced off as it cooks... vs the cubed chicken in sauce that Disney serves.

Cubed? I try to avoid cubed meat at all costs. Even California Chicken Cafe came around and replaced their cubed chicken in salads and wraps with rotisserie chicken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom