Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

CaptinEO

If you hate Marvel so much I don't undestand the idea of comenting constantly on how bad is it lmao spend your time in something you liked instead

But yes that narrative of how umpopular StarWars and Marvel are, that's a new low. Come on you can do better.
No idea about Marvel, but Disney did kill Star Wars and the box office returns dropped dramatically as each movie came out post Force Awakens.

Discount toys from Rogue One and Solo are still in every CVS store, even in 2021. No one wants them.

Disney ruined key original Star Wars characters and no one cares about whatever their new story line was supposed to be.

It's a shame because all the new actors for the new trilogy were actually really talented, they just happened to be involved in movies that destroy the characters everyone loved for decades.

The actors have all said they'd never return to Star Wars. They clearly aren't fond of the films they were in either.

Supreme Leader

No idea about Marvel, but Disney did kill Star Wars and the box office returns dropped dramatically as each movie came out post Force Awakens.

Discount toys from Rogue One and Solo are still in every CVS store, even in 2021. No one wants them.

Disney ruined key original Star Wars characters and no one cares about whatever their new story line was supposed to be.

It's a shame because all the new actors for the new trilogy were actually really talented, they just happened to be involved in movies that destroy the characters everyone loved for decades.

The actors have all said they'd never return to Star Wars. They clearly aren't fond of the films they were in either.
That's wrong actually.

CaptinEO

That's wrong actually.
John Boyega:

You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. When it came to [me], you know f*** all’

Oscar Isaac:

Supreme Leader

John Boyega:

You guys knew what to do with Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver. When it came to [me], you know f*** all’

Oscar Isaac:
John said he would return if Kennedy and Abrams are invloved.
"Whichever way, I am open to the conversation as long as it is Kathleen, J.J., and maybe someone else and the team, it's a no-brainer"
https://ew.com/movies/john-boyega-willing-to-return-to-star-wars/

I'll give you Oscar tho :geek:

I'm sure if you hand them a fist full of cash they'll all return. :hungover:

No Name

That's because it has 26 movies. The only other franchise that rivals that movie count is James Bond.

To me when it comes to franchises, a better mark for success would be the overall average film gross and there are many franchisees that beat out the MCU in average movie gross. Harry Potter being one of them.

You can make a franchise of 30 crap movies and out-gross a franchise of 3 amazing movies.

Of course this doesn't even account for inflation which skews the numbers even more for older franchises. Box Office Mojo used to show adjustments for inflation, but ever since IMDb bought them out that site turned to crap.
Well most franchises simply can’t have that many movies or there would be severe burnout and they’d lose money. Heck Bob I. cited burnout as the reason they were cutting down on Star Wars films, and that’s Star Wars! The fact that Marvel was able to put out 23 movies over only 11 years, 22 of which were profitable, all while building up a fan base toward Infinity War and Endgame’s 2 and 2.7 billion grosses, is pretty impressive.

23 movies, $23 billion. Around $1 billion per movie. Around Harry Potter levels, but almost 3x the movies.

UNCgolf

Well most franchises simply can’t have that many movies or there would be severe burnout and they’d lose money. Heck Bob I. cited burnout as the reason they were cutting down on Star Wars films, and that’s Star Wars! The fact that Marvel was able to put out 23 movies over only 11 years, 22 of which were profitable, all while building up a fan base toward Infinity War and Endgame’s 2 and 2.7 billion grosses, is pretty impressive.

23 movies, $23 billion. Around $1 billion per movie. Around Harry Potter levels, but almost 3x the movies.

Marvel is kind of its own thing. They all take place in the same universe, but most are stand alone films that are only connected to other films in the franchise in minor ways (if that). The solo Iron Man films, e.g., are almost irrelevant to the Avengers movies, which makes it easier to avoid burnout. People can (and obviously did, based on box office returns) skip some of the standalone movies in favor of the huge team-ups. While Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and Iron Man 2 are both under the Marvel umbrella, they may as well be completely separate franchises.

I'm not sure there's really anything else comparable. Star Wars potentially could be (as could Star Trek, for that matter) but those movies have generally focused on either a linear story or the same cast of characters.

DC Comics is probably the closest comparison in terms of what could be, but they've struggled to produce decent films.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

This should relate to what we are talking about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...chises_and_film_series_adjusted_for_inflation

MCU has grossed $9,515,727,915 with 26 movies, and Star Wars grossed $8,058,742,844 with only 12 (less than half). Star Wars per movie average doubles the MCU which to me makes that the more successful franchise.

milordsloth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...chises_and_film_series_adjusted_for_inflation

MCU has grossed $9,515,727,915 with 26 movies, and Star Wars grossed $8,058,742,844 with only 12 (less than half). Star Wars per movie average doubles the MCU which to me makes that the more successful franchise.
The point I think was being made was regarding global box office:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...s#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series

Globally, the average comes out to $914,790,302 per MCU movie. The average per Star Wars movie is $859,653,637.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

MarvelCharacterNerd

1639016055585.png

:D

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but you now have to include all the Spider-Man movies in that total as they are now officially part of the MCU also. Sorry if that is a spoiler to anyone.

In addition I think @egg is right that burn out is a major factor in most franchises including Star Wars. Heck many posters here have been claiming MCU/superhero fatigue leading to its demise for years now. It really is a miracle and shows the genius that is Kevin Feige to find ways to keep it going.

In fact it could also be said that while Star Wars has been around longer, the MCU has been seen by more audiences globally. As such one has to think and admit that outside of traditional western audiences Star Wars is either not really known or isn't as popular as the MCU.

SplashJacket

My mid 30s cousins who live in Orlando and would likely fall into the average guest category went to Disneyland this past weekend. They said the highlight of their trip was the Spider-Man ride and the overall food throughout the resort.

"I think Spider-Man might have been the highlight just cause we weren't expecting it, an impressive surprise."

"There was a show with Natasha and Captain America repelling down the side of a building. I was impressed."

"Overall, the food was done much better at Disneyland. Orlando had better fireworks, though."

"The Buzz ride is better than WDW."

FoodRockz

My mid 30s cousins who live in Orlando and would likely fall into the average guest category went to Disneyland this past weekend. They said the highlight of their trip was the Spider-Man ride and the overall food throughout the resort.

"I think Spider-Man might have been the highlight just cause we weren't expecting it, an impressive surprise."

"There was a show with Natasha and Captain America repelling down the side of a building. I was impressed."

"Overall, the food was done much better at Disneyland. Orlando had better fireworks, though."

"The Buzz ride is better than WDW."
They are completely correct on the food. Night and day difference.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well... there are other franchises -- in the most loosest use of the word -- that could put the MCU to shame:
  • Westerns
  • WWII movies

These two genres technically exist in the same universe and often share the same historical characters. But the point is that they both had hundreds of movies with a good chunk of them being very successful. And their success spanned decades. For Westerns... almost a hundred years and we still get a well received and successful Western. Both had some dry spots, but, at times rebounded in popularity.

Right now, not only is the MCU hot, but so many other non-MCU superhero movies. Most famously, DCEU. But also a ton of indie movies, TV series, and animated series. Some of which have become popular.

Black Widow, Shang-Chi, The Eternals... was their lack of block blusteriness from the pandemic or genre fatigue?

<looks at Spider-Man projections>.... I'll say the pandemic.

UNCgolf

Well... there are other franchises -- in the most loosest use of the word -- that could put the MCU to shame:
  • Westerns
  • WWII movies

These two genres technically exist in the same universe and often share the same historical characters. But the point is that they both had hundreds of movies with a good chunk of them being very successful. And their success spanned decades. For Westerns... almost a hundred years and we still get a well received and successful Western. Both had some dry spots, but, at times rebounded in popularity.

Right now, not only is the MCU hot, but so many other non-MCU superhero movies. Most famously, DCEU. But also a ton of indie movies, TV series, and animated series. Some of which have become popular.

Black Widow, Shang-Chi, The Eternals... was their lack of block blusteriness from the pandemic or genre fatigue?

<looks at Spider-Man projections>.... I'll say the pandemic.

Plus, as I kind of alluded to above, it's not as though every Marvel movie has been a massive blockbuster. They've all been quite successful, but it's really only the team-up films that brought in gigantic numbers -- i.e. over a billion at the box office -- along with Spider-Man, Iron Man 3, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther. The latter two had cultural issues helping them, and Spider-Man is the most popular superhero in the world (I think only Batman has an argument otherwise). Spider-Man: No Way Home has two of those things going for it in that it's a Spider-Man film and it's a team-up, albeit involving alternate movie versions of Spider-Man (which admittedly isn't confirmed but seemingly everyone believes is happening), so it should rake in cash.

The one real outlier for Marvel box office results is Iron Man 3. I have no clue why that movie made as much as it did -- it's not even especially good.

Another issue with comparing older movies to current ones (beyond inflation) is that older films generally didn't make as much outside of the US as they do now for numerous reasons. The original Star Wars trilogy brought in more at the domestic box office than a bunch of Marvel films even if you don't account for inflation, but the Marvel films have been hugely successful outside of the US and their non-domestic take often dwarfs the domestic one. And that's not unique to Marvel; most blockbusters now make far more outside the US. It's a much larger market today than in the past.

That's not intended to downplay the MCU's success at all, by the way. It's been wildly successful and will likely continue to make plenty of money for Disney for at least the near future.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

John said he would return if Kennedy and Abrams are invloved.
"Whichever way, I am open to the conversation as long as it is Kathleen, J.J., and maybe someone else and the team, it's a no-brainer"
https://ew.com/movies/john-boyega-willing-to-return-to-star-wars/

I'll give you Oscar tho :geek:

I'm sure if you hand them a fist full of cash they'll all return. :hungover:
Ah I didn't know this. Last year he was saying how he was treated bad due to his race and all. I didn't think he'd 180, he seemed very serious about the allegations he made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom