Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

TP2000

I was just chatting with a friend here, and I had to admit to him that I'm completely out of the loop on this Marvel stuff. I don't know the stories, the characters, the plots, or the why. The pre-opening artwork and info from WDI didn't help much either.

But obviously I am in a tiny minority, because I just saw this on the front page of the OC Register... 🤣

MAC-3-16x9-1.jpg

Massive crowds of Marvel fans descended on the Disneyland resort for the grand opening of Avengers Campus amid pandemic social distancing restrictions that left many disappointed before they even set foot inside the new superhero themed land.

Avengers Campus debuted at Disney California Adventure on Friday, June 4 after a yearlong delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic closure of the Anaheim theme parks.

Marvel fans showed up before dawn to be the first visitors inside Avengers Campus on opening day only to be faced with massive crowds and stunningly long lines.

Kevin Pryor arrived at Disneyland at 3:45 a.m. to be among the first in line for Avengers Campus.

“I’m used to working the graveyard shift,” said Pryor, 33, of Fountain Valley.

Disneyland’s social distancing concerns forced visitors to arrive early if they wanted to have any hope of getting into Avengers Campus.

Massive crowds gathered outside the temperature check and security screening areas on the east side of the Disneyland resort before the parks opened.

By 7:15 a.m., the half-mile long line switched back on itself 17 times and filled a service road and the bus depot area on the Harbor Boulevard side of the parks.

The anticipated large crowds brought protestors to Disneyland. A van plasted with false claims about the COVID-19 vaccine circled the streets around the parks. Anti-vaccine protesters dressed in Iron Man costumes held aloft signs as Marvel fans streamed across Harbor Boulevard toward Avengers Campus opening.

Attempts at social distancing prevailed in the first legs of the enormous line but broke down in the later legs as crowds continued to arrive.

Disneyland opened the temperature screening area at 7:30 a.m. as the snaking line ran out of room to grow any larger. The security checkpoint opened at 7:45 a.m., allowing thousands of Marvel fans to line up outside the gates of Disney California Adventure.

On the west side of the resort, Disneyland fans faced even more obstacles. The Mickey and Friends and Pixar Pals parking structures were not scheduled to open until 7:45 a.m. — the same time security opened on the east side of the resort.

That meant visitors arriving to the garages would have virtually no chance of getting into Avengers Campus when DCA opened. Lines at the DCA gates filled with thousands of east side visitors before west side garages were scheduled to open.

Nearly everyone in line had their smartphones out as the 7 a.m. as the boarding group lottery approached for the Web Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure attraction.

The countdown began at 6:59 a.m. with fans shouting to each other “30 seconds left” and “10 more seconds.” The reaction was nearly instantaneous with joyous fans leaping for joy at their good fortune.

Last edited:

TP2000

I read that article above and chuckle at the thought that they actually have a Vice President in charge of "Guest Arrival Experience".

Let's not ever forget that inconvenient truth. :D

In happier news, it's great to see Disneyland blasted with crowds again as God intended. I don't need to be there whatsoever (See: My Confused Thoughts on Marvel Stuff), but I'm glad that there are a bunch of young folks who do need to be there for this.

But seriously, it always fascinates me how Disneyland never can quite get the Guest Arrival Experience (apparently that's what that mess is called) to work well, or work at all. It's always a cluster of mega crowds and long lines and 15,000 space parking garages that can never open on time.

Later this evening when I enjoy my Sundowner Cocktail, I'll raise a toast to them all still trying to figure out how to run a Disneyland. 🤣

Last edited:

J4546

lol what can you expect really? Its opening day for a brand new land that was delayed a year due to covid....whech also shut down the entire park/everything and the parks just opened up a couple weeks ago...disney parks are gonna be very busy this summer... i hope they make a ton of money and then use it to fast track phase 2 or something else major!

TP2000

A lot of those people don't know they are supposed to hate it.

Great line! Thank you for the laugh! 🤣

I never understand the fans who want other fans to hate stuff. I can't think of anything that I actually "hate" about Disneyland.

This Marvel Land thing is just proof I'm totally out of it. I just don't get it, but love that young folks do get it. And there's plenty of 'em there today! Big crowds packed into the new land, and lines for the new ride snake all throughout the park.

2021-disneyland-dca-avengers-campus-opening-web-suppliers-atmo-2.jpg

This is the line for the Spiderman ride, heading towards Paradise Pier and then back again.

britain

Then add them back to SWGE!
I’m sure they wanted to pretty quickly back in 2019, but that was right when the sequel character backlash was beginning. So there were probably executives that were not keen on green lighting the sequel stunt show stuff that had been prepared but cut. But it wasn’t clear if Ep8-fan-grumpiness was a blip and Ep9 would fix everything OR if it would be necessary to roll the development of NEW live performances (OT? Mando?) into other “fixes” for the land.

fctiger

Great line! Thank you for the laugh! 🤣

I never understand the fans who want other fans to hate stuff. I can't think of anything that I actually "hate" about Disneyland.

This Marvel Land thing is just proof I'm totally out of it. I just don't get it, but love that young folks do get it. And there's plenty of 'em there today! Big crowds packed into the new land, and lines for the new ride snake all throughout the park.

2021-disneyland-dca-avengers-campus-opening-web-suppliers-atmo-2.jpg

This is the line for the Spiderman ride, heading towards Paradise Pier and then back again.

Honestly everything that is there I genuinely like. Sure I wish it was at least a few acres bigger (and it still can be) and they had a better second tier ride (or a more original one) but it looks fun to me. I won't know until I ride it for myself. But I wanted a Marvel land literally the day Disney announced they bought it. But I had a family who grew up with it and it was always popular long before MCU showed up. I just hope the E ticket ride happens eventually.

For Disney fans like me, its a dream come true! And I love the fact we now have SW in DL and MCU in DCA. Seeing the characters in AC alone is worth having it.

Nirya

Its true. why do you think the character became steve rodgers in the comics again? spoiler alert- no one purchased them when he was falcon. having a different character take up the mantle of a already established character is a stupid idea unless you do something creative with it or have the original hero involved. look at batman. bruce wayne is batman. when he got too old and had to retire because he physically couldn't be batman anymore, he had terry mcguinnes be his fieled agent why he was behind the computer still watching things. they were smart to keep bruce envolved. miles morlaes is not spider-man. that is why his book was cancelled. i am not wrong here.

You're, um, very wrong here actually.

Let's start with Falcon first, who took up the mantle because, in-universe, Steve Rodgers lost the super soldier serum and had been turned into an old man. Sam Wilson took over as the new Captain America, Steve was still involved in the story (he eventually got the serum back and reversed his aging) and Sam eventually gave up the mantle for a pretty good reason (he felt he could not serve as a symbol for an America that was not supportive of him and other African-Americans). Sales were not the reason that the switch back was made - Sam's run as Captain America sold well amid a general collapse of the physical comic market. It made story sense to make the switch, and made the switch back for a story reason again (though it is important to note that Sam again became Captain America when Steve was revealed to be replaced by an alternate version that was loyal to Hydra, and gave it back up once actual Steve returned).

The Batman one is you describing Batman Beyond, which is a whole alternate universe so it's not really a great comparison? Mainline Batman has always been Bruce Wayne.

And Miles Morales is incredibly popular. In fact, he's one of the few characters to survive the end of the Ultimates universe, as his entire family and supporting cast were transported into the mainline 616 continuity. He has an active Spider-Man book currently in publication, and everyone is more than happy with two people running around as Spider-Man (especially as Peter Parker has transitioned into more of a global superhero while Miles stays fairly local in NYC).

Seriously, it would help if you stopped talking at this point, because you keep stating things that aren't even close to true.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You're, um, very wrong here actually.

Let's start with Falcon first, who took up the mantle because, in-universe, Steve Rodgers lost the super soldier serum and had been turned into an old man. Sam Wilson took over as the new Captain America, Steve was still involved in the story (he eventually got the serum back and reversed his aging) and Sam eventually gave up the mantle for a pretty good reason (he felt he could not serve as a symbol for an America that was not supportive of him and other African-Americans). Sales were not the reason that the switch back was made - Sam's run as Captain America sold well amid a general collapse of the physical comic market. It made story sense to make the switch, and made the switch back for a story reason again (though it is important to note that Sam again became Captain America when Steve was revealed to be replaced by an alternate version that was loyal to Hydra, and gave it back up once actual Steve returned).

The Batman one is you describing Batman Beyond, which is a whole alternate universe so it's not really a great comparison? Mainline Batman has always been Bruce Wayne.

And Miles Morales is incredibly popular. In fact, he's one of the few characters to survive the end of the Ultimates universe, as his entire family and supporting cast were transported into the mainline 616 continuity. He has an active Spider-Man book currently in publication, and everyone is more than happy with two people running around as Spider-Man (especially as Peter Parker has transitioned into more of a global superhero while Miles stays fairly local in NYC).

Seriously, it would help if you stopped talking at this point, because you keep stating things that aren't even close to true.
You didn't get what I SAID at all. and Azrael took over for Batman when Bane broke Bruce's back so no, mainline Batman has not always been Bruce Wayne but you dd not understand my point about Batman Beyond at all nor Falcon pretending to be Captain America or Miles Morales who is not popular at all or else his ultimate book wouldnt have failed and the sales of his current book are not great either. but have a nice day.

J4546

We’re all expecting Avengers Campus to swallow the Mike and Sully section of Hollywood Land at the minimum right?
i absolutely could see a more marvel themed area coming to hollywood land in the future, though id rather it be a 1940s broadway themed area

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom