Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

fctiger

I think the main thing TOT had going for it was the amazingly themed queue, and the fact that it meshed well with the new Buena Vista Street, both of which I still very much miss. In hindsight, the actual ride was where it really fell apart. Only two scenes, one of which was a short mirror trick. I think its a good thing that Guardians focuses much more on the actual thrill part, with the increased drops being the main draw of the ride. The screens only add to that, and are not the main focus. With Avengers Campus now open I can somewhat better forgive the nightmarishly garish "fortress" sticking out like a sore thumb in the back of Hollywood land since it now has its own land to be a part of.

Yes we can certainly all agree TOT definitely did an amazing job of being themed to the land it was in. I know what bothers people about it gone is that it felt like DCA's HM or even POTC because it added something that felt very themed (especially for that park) and even timeless in a way. It was sadly the first DCA ride that told a story and an actual well themed queue. I think a lot of people do forget just how bad DCA 1.0 was because until TOT showed up, there was not one ride in the park that provided any type of back story at all (which is now ironic people are complaining these rides are getting TOO much backstory lol).

But end of the day when you strip all that away, it's a drop ride and what most people cared about. It certainly had its own atmosphere but only hardcore fans really care about. For most, they go because it's thrilling and MBO is MUCH more thrilling than TOT ever was in so many ways and that's going to win out alone for a lot out there.

MBO biggest issue was it just completely out of place as you mentioned. It just did not fit in the area it was in. Well, that's now been rectified (somewhat). But it still doesn't hold anywhere close to the charm of the original ride so I get why it's missed.

But I think people should stop telling themselves its something most people miss. Maybe at one time many did, but its now been four years (wow) since it's been around and most people have accepted it. In fact it seem like it was a huge hit the day it opened and been that way since.

Kyle’s Dad Sent Me

Mission Breakout is a better ride than our TOT was. And I would rather have a ride that is unique to the park vs. a lesser clone. The exterior is bad though, can’t deny that. It takes the C-grade DCA Tower exterior to a D.

DrAlice

I'm still shocked people seem to genuinely miss ABL and even the original PP, since neither were great lands. One was a kiddy area with decent theming at least and the other wasn't much better than Pixar Pier now (but I can understand missing Calif. Screamin) but people now mourn these areas like we lost DCA's version of NOS. Like TOT, they all felt like cheaper knock offs but once you get use to something, then yeah.

BugsLand was a fun, shady area of the park for parents to enjoy with their kids. It was NOT perfect, but had 4 child-friendly rides, a water play area, a decent bathroom, an ice cream cart, and shady places to sit. I don't care that the rides were "carnival rides". We will miss BugsLand simply because lots of family memories are tied to that section of the park for us. I'm sure there are others on this board that grew up in that land and have the same nostalgia.

The frustration with Pixar Pier isn't about Pixar Pier, per se. It's a generalized frustration that the DCA 2.0 vision (which most people enjoyed/were excited about) was being abandoned for more corporate synergy. And the opinion that the execution of some of those changes was sub-par.

I'll tell you this: Pixar Pier is one of the reasons that I have NO FAITH that the Avengers Phase 2 E-ticket thing is going to happen. They burned us with "Phase 2" of Carsland, and then did it again by abandoning DCA 2.0. Fool me once.....

J4546

what was phase 2 of cars land?

also did they already have fireworks in CA or is that a new thing added to avengers campus?

Wait a second — are you guys suggesting that DCA’s ToT was high quality? It was the cheap version of the ride, which was absolutely put to shame by every other ToT out there. Why so many of you are so attached to the ride is beyond me. It was objectively the worst ToT.
Yeah but did you ever look at ToT from A Bug's Land? The oversized leaves with the big letters was pretty cool.

fctiger

BugsLand was a fun, shady area of the park for parents to enjoy with their kids. It was NOT perfect, but had 4 child-friendly rides, a water play area, a decent bathroom, an ice cream cart, and shady places to sit. I don't care that the rides were "carnival rides". We will miss BugsLand simply because lots of family memories are tied to that section of the park for us. I'm sure there are others on this board that grew up in that land and have the same nostalgia.

The frustration with Pixar Pier isn't about Pixar Pier, per se. It's a generalized frustration that the DCA 2.0 vision (which most people enjoyed/were excited about) was being abandoned for more corporate synergy. And the opinion that the execution of some of those changes was sub-par.

I'll tell you this: Pixar Pier is one of the reasons that I have NO FAITH that the Avengers Phase 2 E-ticket thing is going to happen. They burned us with "Phase 2" of Carsland, and then did it again by abandoning DCA 2.0. Fool me once.....

I had nothing against ABL in general. And if it was still there, I would have no issues with it. But you just said it, because you spent a lot of time there or grew up with it, it brings nostalgia. That's the point , ANY land will basically do that once you spend enough time in it.

But the problem with ABL wasn't that it was for kids (but did bother me) its that it was clearly a rushed and half baked land from the start. There was nothing there outside of the rides. Not a quick stop restaurant, a small souvenir shop, nothing. It always felt like what it was, a quick fix to one of the MANY problems DCA had at opening (this case giving young kids something to do) but that was it.

And it was telling because it was around for 15 years and not one single thing was added to it in all that time. Not one new addition or change to anything. It was just there to be a kiddy area and no thought beyond that.

I will agree with you about Paradise Pier, at least somewhat. But again, to me all people are talking about are cosmetic changes at the end of the day. That's it. The PP in 2012 looked better themed I guess, but literally it's still all the same stuff from what was there back in 2012 is it not? They got rid of the classier Victorian style architecture (which Disney fans seem to love) for something more cartoonish for Woody and Buzz. So I get that argument, but it's still the same stuff, which was mostly cheap rides and spinners outside of CS and TSM. That's why for me it's much ado about nothing. But yes I agree, the old design LOOKED nicer but it never made the land itself any better. It just felt a bit cooler I guess.

Of course what is ironic about this conversation is people are saying they Pixared the boardwalk and why they don't like it but then complained they got rid of ABL, which was of course Pixar lol. That was just as much corporate synergy when they built that, was it not? I think Disney was just trying to make a compromise since they knew ABL and their one kiddy area was going, they decided to kiddify (is that word, probably not) the pier more so parents had a place to still take their younger kids to. They even brought over one of rides from the old land and added it to this one.

But obviously I'm not saying people can't miss these areas, but to me it's just more proof everything will get missed eventually no matter what it is. Okay no one misses Super Star Limo lol.

Suspirian

Wait a second — are you guys suggesting that DCA’s ToT was high quality? It was the cheap version of the ride, which was absolutely put to shame by every other ToT out there. Why so many of you are so attached to the ride is beyond me. It was objectively the worst ToT.

And it was still good? I never understand this argument. Comparing it to every other TOT doesn't negate that it was good on its own and certainly one of the best attractions that was in DCA. I had ridden the DHS version multiple times before ever going to DCA and I still enjoyed our TOT in its own right.

fctiger

And it was still good? I never understand this argument. Comparing it to every other TOT doesn't negate that it was good on its own and certainly one of the best attractions that was in DCA. I had ridden the DHS version multiple times before ever going to DCA and I still enjoyed our TOT in its own right.

As did others as I also said in my post. I just happen to like MBO as well. I think most people do, hence why it seems just as popular as TOT was.

mrfires

Not saying it wasn’t good; I loved the ride. But I just can’t help but roll my eyes at the people who are still heartbroken over losing ToT. And yes, if Disney can’t build a ride to the same standard of the original — it SHOULDNT BE BUILT.

DrAlice

But the problem with ABL wasn't that it was for kids (but did bother me) its that it was clearly a rushed and half baked land from the start. There was nothing there outside of the rides. Not a quick stop restaurant, a small souvenir shop, nothing. It always felt like what it was, a quick fix to one of the MANY problems DCA had at opening (this case giving young kids something to do) but that was it.
You are forgetting that it opened with a show. That was a big addition when this land first opened that people loved. Sure, it became dated technology, but that wasn't the case at first. Also, PT Flea's pin shop and a corn dog stand were adjacent to the show building in the farm area (where Mater's is now). So, yes it had quite a bit when it first opened. I understand the criticism that they weren't high-end Disney-quality rides, but the overall theming of the land itself was awesome and the family rides served a need that was missing. I think the addition of Carsland and Mermaid, as well as the aging of the show sealed ABL's fate. Oh well. I'll live.

I will agree with you about Paradise Pier, at least somewhat. But again, to me all people are talking about are cosmetic changes at the end of the day. That's it. The PP in 2012 looked better themed I guess, but literally it's still all the same stuff from what was there back in 2012 is it not?
Yes, but this is a theme park board where people care about... um.... theming. ;)

but to me it's just more proof everything will get missed eventually no matter what it is. Okay no one misses Super Star Limo lol.
LOL!! I think there is some truth in what you are saying here, but probably is a bit of an oversimplification. I'm not sure there are many of us nostalgically missing Videopolis even if we have fun memories of dancing with a cute boy there as a tween/teen. 🤣

With respect to TOT/MB, you are right about nostalgia for the original ride, but I think there would've been less of a violent reaction to the change if they hadn't converted the look of the building to a hideous monstrosity (that invades the BVS sight lines).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom