Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

i love NOS, its location is like the best quadrant of any park ever lol. You get jungle cruise (which i dont care for) Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain all in a row and thats not including BTM and Pooh. But just that one NO themed area with the paddle boat and everything...that area is so full of stuff. love it

Professortango1

For me, the most important thing, in Disneyland itself is IASW (I stand by Marty Sklar's statement), with the most important thing in DCA imho being Soarin', just because of its timeless nature, which is something post 1.0 DCA lacks. More importantly, it's also generally an amazing attraction with a memorable score, so I don't think Disney would ever attempt to outright remove it entirely from the park. It has good bones.
I just wish that they had bothered to build an attraction around Soarin'. Soarin' is the bare bones prototype with exposed ride system and an unplanned queue. The idea is nice, but loading onto a platform in front of a blue screen to then watch an Imax movie with jump cuts doesn't scream Disney quality. Flight of Passage shows that this type of rise should be.

180º

I think its okay, but not worth the real estate it takes up. Its a MASSIVE show building for a mediocre ride.
Apologies in advance if you were being sarcastic.

Mediocre is definitely the wrong word for it.

There’s a difference between something mediocre and something that isn’t your cup of tea but that is an enduring, widely beloved cultural heirloom. And it’s the only thing in the park where I can say that and it’s not hyperbole, other than speaking of Disneyland itself broadly, perhaps.

fctiger

Apologies in advance if you were being sarcastic.

Mediocre is definitely the wrong word for it.

There’s a difference between something mediocre and something that isn’t your cup of tea but that is an enduring, widely beloved cultural heirloom. And it’s the only thing in the park where I can say that and it’s not hyperbole, other than speaking of Disneyland itself broadly, perhaps.

Well to him it's mediocre. None of this is absolute and that's how opinions work. One man's treasure can be trash to someone else. That said you can certainly disagree of course.

Personally I never been a huge fan of IASW either, but I always liked it. It's just not something I would miss if it was gone tomorrow either.

Homemade Imagineering

IASW is my favorite attraction at DLR, and I will fully admit to that and be proud of it. It means so much to be in so many different ways, and even after writing a letter to Rolly Crump, and meeting Richard Sherman in person, I’ve come to appreciate it even more. I remember when I received a signed postcard from Rolly Crump last year in the mail, and I was just overcome by so many emotions at once. It’s something I’ll never forget...

180º

Well to him it's mediocre. None of this is absolute and that's how opinions work. One man's treasure can be trash to someone else. That said you can certainly disagree of course.

Personally I never been a huge fan of IASW either, but I always liked it. It's just not something I would miss if it was gone tomorrow either.
It’s definitely an opinion, but definitely less along the lines of “Disneyland is better/WDW is better” and more of a steaming hot take along the lines of “The Mona Lisa isn’t actually any good.”

Considering Mary Blair is probably Disney’s single most revered artist, It’s a Small World (the ride) being her most famous work, not to mention It’s a Small World (the song) being a universal phenomenon.

fctiger

It’s definitely an opinion, but definitely less along the lines of “Disneyland is better/WDW is better” and more of a steaming hot take along the lines of “The Mona Lisa isn’t actually any good.”

Considering Mary Blair is probably Disney’s single most revered artist, It’s a Small World (the ride) being her most famous work, not to mention It’s a Small World (the song) being a universal phenomenon.

Again, that's just your personal opinion like his. How is it a 'hot take' for something that is over 50 years old and they probably rode dozens of times themselves? Believe it not, many people find Disneyland as park mediocre. Now, they are clearly in the vast minority, but its theirs to have. Opinions is simply in the eye of the beholder and their own personal tastes and preferences. If he said he thought his feelings were a consensus with most Disney fans, then yes, that would be a hot take and most likely plain wrong. But yes some people can find the ride a little boring and even cheesy.

And not everyone is in love with that song lol.

180º

Again, that's just your personal opinion like his. How is it a 'hot take' for something that is over 50 years old and they probably rode dozens of times themselves? Believe it not, many people find Disneyland as park mediocre. Now, they are clearly in the vast minority, but its theirs to have. Opinions is simply in the eye of the beholder and their own personal tastes and preferences. If he said he thought his feelings were a consensus with most Disney fans, then yes, that would be a hot take and most likely plain wrong. But yes some people can find the ride a little boring and even cheesy.

And not everyone is in love with that song lol.
I think we agree on what an opinion is. Professortango offered his, I offered mine.

So, rather than discuss the definition of opinion, I’ll just ask @Professortango1 to elaborate on his original opinion, which, while valid and respectable, is also very bold and has piqued my interest! :)

To be clear, what I find unusual about the opinion isn’t that the original poster doesn’t personally enjoy IASW. That’s a very popular opinion. What I find unusual is the choice of word “mediocre” which implies criticism of artistic integrity, and as far as I know, IASW is predominantly artistically acclaimed. That can be challenged, of course! It’s a bold opinion and I am curious to hear more.

fctiger

I think we agree on what an opinion is. Professortango offered his, I offered mine.

So, rather than discuss the definition of opinion, I’ll just ask @Professortango1 to elaborate on his original opinion, which, while valid and respectable, is also very bold and has piqued my interest! :)

To be clear, what I find unusual about the opinion isn’t that the original poster doesn’t personally enjoy IASW. That’s a very popular opinion. What I find unusual is the choice of word “mediocre” which implies criticism of artistic integrity, and as far as I know, IASW is predominantly artistically acclaimed. That can be challenged, of course! It’s a bold opinion and I am curious to hear more.

Fair enough!

EPCOTCenterLover

I think NOS and its main attractions stand as the most important addition to Disneyland before or since. The Imagineers raised the bar with their work- and the parks fans accordingly adjusted their expectations of what a Disney park should be.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I'll start by saying I'm not a huge Mary Blair fan. I was very happy when the mural in TL took on a new look as her art style doesn't resonate with me. As for the attraction, I enjoy the concept, but it just feels so long and repetitive for me. Pirates has different moods and scenic design between the bayou, the caverns, the ship battle, the town, the town ablaze, the collapsing structures/bowels of the city, etc.

I know its apples and oranges, but one long E-ticket boat attraction to another, it just feels like I've seen IASW after the first room. I do like moments, like the rain forest/jungle because the animatronics and setting is more than dolls on ledges, but as a whole, I find the attraction too one note/emotion for far too long. Its a similar problem I have with Buzz Lightyear, the majority of the ride is the same tone/feel.

Of the Disney E-tickets, it is my least favourite by far. I don't hate the ride, but I don't love it. Considering it is almost as big as Indiana Jones Adventure and Pirates, I don't think we're getting our full value of the real estate.

Homemade Imagineering

When dissected, I find appreciation for the attraction becomes a little more obvious, at least in my eyes. It is the only theme park attraction to advocate for world peace, something, which is very much unique to DLR. It saddens me to see some IASW slander on this thread tonight, but oh well... after all, everyone has an opinion, and at the end of the day I can respect that. I just wish more people appreciated it for what it is, even if it seems cheesy to them.

180º

I'll start by saying I'm not a huge Mary Blair fan. I was very happy when the mural in TL took on a new look as her art style doesn't resonate with me. As for the attraction, I enjoy the concept, but it just feels so long and repetitive for me. Pirates has different moods and scenic design between the bayou, the caverns, the ship battle, the town, the town ablaze, the collapsing structures/bowels of the city, etc.

I know its apples and oranges, but one long E-ticket boat attraction to another, it just feels like I've seen IASW after the first room. I do like moments, like the rain forest/jungle because the animatronics and setting is more than dolls on ledges, but as a whole, I find the attraction too one note/emotion for far too long. Its a similar problem I have with Buzz Lightyear, the majority of the ride is the same tone/feel.

Of the Disney E-tickets, it is my least favourite by far. I don't hate the ride, but I don't love it. Considering it is almost as big as Indiana Jones Adventure and Pirates, I don't think we're getting our full value of the real estate.
Though I totally disagree about IASW and Mary Blair, I appreciate the elaboration. I think your point about lack of tonal variation is an interesting one and is definitely the downfall of many attractions. Buzz is a great example. But I also think sustained-tone experiences have their place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom