Avengers Campus: Food, Entertainment, M&G, Environment Updates

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What other people see: Werewolf by Night coming to Avengers Campus.

What I see: Cal State Fullerton student in costume coming to Avengers Campus.

Lol. I know we all participate in suspending disbelief when we’re in the parks whether it’s on rides, or shows but I’m truly fascinated by people who go crazy for characters. Especially face characters. I just want to understand the psychology. Am I just not as good at suspending disbelief in this particular category? I mean, other people can call me a weirdo for enjoying a boat ride that floats past robots in Pirate masks multiple times a year. Why can I not understand or get into the character thing yet appreciate the fantasyland dark rides for example?
You're losing some of your childlike whimsy my friend that is all. It happens to the best of us as we get older and is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

What other people see: Werewolf by Night coming to Avengers Campus.

What I see: Cal State Fullerton student in costume coming to Avengers Campus.

Lol. I know we all participate in suspending disbelief when we’re in the parks whether it’s on rides, or shows but I’m truly fascinated by people who go crazy for characters. Especially face characters. I just want to understand the psychology. Am I just not as good at suspending disbelief in this particular category? I mean, other people can call me a weirdo for enjoying a boat ride that floats past robots in Pirate masks multiple times a year. Why can I not understand or get into the character thing yet appreciate the fantasyland dark rides for example?
I never used to be a character fan. Although one of my best friends always has been and I didn't really get it for a long time either.

But I was a show/performer fan. I came from Mad T fandom, where we were fans of the singers and musicians there. That led me into a fandom for the entertainment team as a whole to all the singers, dancers, musicians at the parks.

When T ended, I wasn't sure what to do with myself as the park was cutting back the shows and the performers weren't around as much. I honestly wondered if it was time to give up the parks on the regular basis I'd been going.

But then Marvel came to DCA - first with a show - the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Dance-Off. This coincided with my fandom for Marvel/MCU in general. And it had performers who were also characters. And then they brought in Marvel characters to the Hollywood Backlot. Again, I wasn't fully engaged. But then they brought in my favorite Marvel characters to the Hollywood Backlot and suddenly I found A) it was fun to visit with my favorite characters and engage with them within their storytelling universe and B) the level of acting and improv these character performers have to do is every bit as difficult and legit as the singers and performers in the shows around the park. Conclusion for me: IT'S ALL ENTERTAINMENT. And I happily fell into character fandom - mostly with face characters since I can talk with them, but I've gained some affection for fur as well. But I'm a face fan, first and foremost, because what they do is difficult, it's performing, and just as in the shows, there are different levels of ability, but some are truly stellar.

Let me give you an example - here is Thor randomly doing a SEVEN MINUTE IMPROV MONOLOGUE without hesitation. 😍 And if you can't appreciate the skill it takes to do that and the thought put into character development and representation, and chalk it up to someone being just "a Cal State Fullerton student in costume", well... 🤷‍♂️

So in combining my appreciation for performance with my appreciation for cast members with my fandom of Marvel especially, but also Disney, Pixar and Star Wars as well, I became a massive character fan and engaging with them has provided some of the greatest moments in the parks for me ever.

It's not a childlike suspension of belief for me - though there are moments of that - it's LARPing in a favorite fan universe with awesome lovely people - the character cast.

So that's how and why I appreciate character interactions as an adult guest.

But my friend still just loves to hug the fur and enjoys the challenge of meeting as many new characters as possible - and I respect that, too, and understand it a little more now. :)

mickEblu

I never used to be a character fan. Although one of my best friends always has been and I didn't really get it for a long time either.

But I was a show/performer fan. I came from Mad T fandom, where we were fans of the singers and musicians there. That led me into a fandom for the entertainment team as a whole to all the singers, dancers, musicians at the parks.

When T ended, I wasn't sure what to do with myself as the park was cutting back the shows and the performers weren't around as much. I honestly wondered if it was time to give up the parks on the regular basis I'd been going.

But then Marvel came to DCA - first with a show - the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Dance-Off. This coincided with my fandom for Marvel/MCU in general. And it had performers who were also characters. And then they brought in Marvel characters to the Hollywood Backlot. Again, I wasn't fully engaged. But then they brought in my favorite Marvel characters to the Hollywood Backlot and suddenly I found A) it was fun to visit with my favorite characters and engage with them within their storytelling universe and B) the level of acting and improv these character performers have to do is every bit as difficult and legit as the singers and performers in the shows around the park. Conclusion for me: IT'S ALL ENTERTAINMENT. And I happily fell into character fandom - mostly with face characters since I can talk with them, but I've gained some affection for fur as well. But I'm a face fan, first and foremost, because what they do is difficult, it's performing, and just as in the shows, there are different levels of ability, but some are truly stellar.

Let me give you an example - here is Thor randomly doing a SEVEN MINUTE IMPROV MONOLOGUE without hesitation. 😍 And if you can't appreciate the skill it takes to do that and the thought put into character development and representation, and chalk it up to someone being just "a Cal State Fullerton student in costume", well... 🤷‍♂️

So in combining my appreciation for performance with my appreciation for cast members with my fandom of Marvel especially, but also Disney, Pixar and Star Wars as well, I became a massive character fan and engaging with them has provided some of the greatest moments in the parks for me ever.

It's not a childlike suspension of belief for me - though there are moments of that - it's LARPing in a favorite fan universe with awesome lovely people - the character cast.

So that's how and why I appreciate character interactions as an adult guest.

But my friend still just loves to hug the fur and enjoys the challenge of meeting as many new characters as possible - and I respect that, too, and understand it a little more now. :)

Thanks for the response. I can understand why you appreciate them and I’m not judging anyone that does. I was more trying to understand why I can’t appreciate them. With that said, seeing your kids light up when they see the characters is pretty cool. And you bring up a good point about some of their improv ability or the interactions they can create in the park. I never really engage with them though so I haven’t really experienced it for myself. I have had a couple exchanges with Gaston in passing that were pretty funny.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Elsa Bloodstone also appearring alongside Werewolf by Night.

muppets kermit GIF

*composes self*

Ahem, I shall have to look for them. Once I'm not blocked out. Stupid pass.... grumble grumble grumble...

Nonja

I feel like they had so many missed opportunities meet and greets with She Hulk......

Titania would have been an AMAZING meet&great character, and an easy one to made. And Leapfrog and Daredevil replacing the Taskmaster thingy. Like the temporal Hawkeye show they had.
Or even Jennifer Walters with the inhibitor in jail clothing, like when they had Loki with the TVA clothes.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I feel like they had so many missed opportunities meet and greets with She Hulk......

Titania would have been an AMAZING meet&great character, and an easy one to made. And Leapfrog and Daredevil replacing the Taskmaster thingy. Like the temporal Hawkeye show they had.
Or even Jennifer Walters with the inhibitor in jail clothing, like when they had Loki with the TVA clothes.
I think She-Hulk was well represented in the land.

There was a bench. :D

Consumer

Speaking of She-Hulk, I decided to stick through the series and honestly it was not that bad. Some of the writing was poor and effects were lackluster, but as far as the character of She-Hulk I hope to see more of her in the future. Far from the worst Marvel project. Maybe I also just really enjoy the low stakes street heroes.

Parteecia

Speaking of She-Hulk, I decided to stick through the series and honestly it was not that bad. Some of the writing was poor and effects were lackluster, but as far as the character of She-Hulk I hope to see more of her in the future. Far from the worst Marvel project. Maybe I also just really enjoy the low stakes street heroes.
Liked her character, hated the writing.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I think She-Hulk was well represented in the land.

There was a bench. :D
Just gonna quote myself because aside from my snark, I really thought it was a clever joke.

A) the sagging bench was an amusing visual representation - though they quickly swapped it out for a regular bench (guessing someone complained?)

B) the notion of a lawyer buying an ad on a bench was apt

C) Lawyer. BENCH. Lawyer approach the... oh never mind. Still thought it was funnier than the actual show. :p

DCBaker

Premium Member
“I’m so excited to announce that for a limited time beginning Nov. 11, 2022, on the date of the release of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” and through Jan. 8, 2023, you can encounter, learn from and celebrate the arrival of new visiting warriors, taste Wakanda-inspired delicacies, discover props from the film and more in Avengers Campus and beyond at Disney California Adventure park, plus, pose with a special art installation at the Downtown Disney District.”

mickEblu

“I’m so excited to announce that for a limited time beginning Nov. 11, 2022, on the date of the release of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” and through Jan. 8, 2023, you can encounter, learn from and celebrate the arrival of new visiting warriors, taste Wakanda-inspired delicacies, discover props from the film and more in Avengers Campus and beyond at Disney California Adventure park, plus, pose with a special art installation at the Downtown Disney District.”

Argh, we wants the ride!

waltography

So the garden is the overflow Pym's seating next to the Hyperion right? Wonder what they'll do to theme that area.

MarvelCharacterNerd

So the garden is the overflow Pym's seating next to the Hyperion right? Wonder what they'll do to theme that area.
Drag over the old Wakanda walls from the former backlot meet and greet along with the construction wall image of Black Panther from when the Marvel character walls were up around the super store and call it a day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom