Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

AZDLR

I'm more interested to see what plans they have in mind for that 5th attraction for the Hyperion Plot. Perhaps they are waiting to see the post Secret Wars slate and what is popular with that before committing on something.
They still have plans for something wakanda themed. Maybe cosmic rewind rethemed for black panther/wakanda with a large facade theme on the outside to hide the building and make it feel like you're entering wakanda.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Reporting from DCA. That planter that runs along the path from AC to Cars Land is behind walls. Tried looking through there and its it’s ALL tore up. Nothing but dirt and it looks like the area has been expanded if im not mistaken. Some heavy machinery too. You know how D’amaro said dirt was moving? I think they re building a new path from AC to Cars Land.

View attachment 812444

I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at Google maps of the parks lol.

Looking overhead:

Red Line: Construction fence.
Yellow bubble: The Cozy Cone area behind walls that pertains to the permit.
Blue Box: Backstage building to service Cozy Cones.
Purple Box: Zooming around it looks like mechanical equipments.....A/C condensers and what-not.
Green Lines: Vehicle gates.
Light Green Dotted Line: The "entrance" to AC.

View attachment 812481

I just don't see how the area behind the construction fence would serve to benefit AC unless they are widening the path. I don't think they are making a new path because they need those backstage elements. Either widening or re-configuring the landscape or adding additional static elements like signs or something. Plus it's across from Luigi's.

This is the view from the blue dot looking SW (It's all still Cars Land elements):

View attachment 812482

And to the NE (where AC currently starts):

View attachment 812483
I've been looking at this more and more over the weekend, and I'm wondering if they are just expanding the seating for Cozy Cone with this project. There is lack of seating in the area, especially during busy days when Flo's is also packed. That planter took up a lot of space, especially by Cozy Cone. So maybe the idea is to shrink that planter along the path overall and add seating in the reclaimed space closer to Cozy Cone.

mickEblu

I've been looking at this more and more over the weekend, and I'm wondering if they are just expanding the seating for Cozy Cone with this project. There is lack of seating in the area, especially during busy days when Flo's is also packed. That planter took up a lot of space, especially by Cozy Cone. So maybe the idea is to shrink that planter along the path overall and add seating in the reclaimed space closer to Cozy Cone.

Yeah I saw what appeared to be a little alcove for seating right by Cozy cone. Not huge but you could probably fit 5-7 small tables. As far as the rest of that area along the path I guess it’s just for the light posts? I’m guessing they widened the path and got rid of most of it not all of that planter.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah I saw what appeared to be a little alcove for seating right by Cozy cone. Not huge but you could probably fit 5-7 small tables. As far as the rest of that area along the path I guess it’s just for the light posts? I’m guessing they widened the path and got rid of most of it not all of that planter.
So yeah then probably guest flow and seating.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
RIP Cars Land - Bugs Land path. Back in the day it was longer and had a charming off the beaten path feel to it. Now it’s shorter, less greenery, more concrete and more people. All in the name of progress I suppose.
I get the less greenery and maybe more concrete and people (something already done for AC previously), but shorter? Isn't it basically the same length as before?

mickEblu

Ok, can't be by much then, maybe a couple dozen feet? And I wouldn't expect it to get any shorter even if they move the AC entrance over to the Sanctum as you suspect.

No I’m not expecting it to get any shorter. I just lumped together all the ways it has changed since AC opened including the changes I expect when those construction walls go down.

I thought @chadwpalm pointed out that the entrance is staying in the same place? At least as shown in the concept art.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No I’m not expecting it to get any shorter. I just lumped together all the ways it has changed since AC opened including the changes I expect when those construction walls go down.

I thought @chadwpalm pointed out that the entrance is staying in the same place? At least as shown in the concept art.
Yes that is the assumption that its stay, my point was that its not getting any shorter even if the entrance moved as you suspected.

MistaDee

They still have plans for something wakanda themed. Maybe cosmic rewind rethemed for black panther/wakanda with a large facade theme on the outside to hide the building and make it feel like you're entering wakanda.

I’ve always felt the MCU is better fodder for attractions over immersive lands.
What Marvel IP would make for the most compelling themed environments?

Wakanda gets mentioned,
Asgard could be cool,
X-men mansion + danger room
Time Variance Authority from Loki
Castle Doom

Professortango1

I’ve always felt the MCU is better fodder for attractions over immersive lands.
What Marvel IP would make for the most compelling themed environments?

Wakanda gets mentioned,
Asgard could be cool,
X-men mansion + danger room
Time Variance Authority from Loki
Castle Doom
MCU works better as an attraction or two in another land. A NYC area with an Avengers ride or Doctor Strange/Spider-Man ride. 1940's Hollywood themed area with Captain America/Agent Carter themed ride. Sci-Fi land with a Guardians/Hulk/Fantastic Four themed attraction.

This is why I miss lands based on ideas and themes rather than one IP. Imagine if Universal built a Mummy Land instead of integrating it into the NYC area in Orlando. An area which allowed for Ghostbusters, The Mummy/Kong rather than trying to make a land about each. This is why the Monsters area of Epic Universe interest me the most. Its not some recreated movie set with one idea present, its an original land in the style of the Universal Monsters and they could have a Creature from the Black Lagoon ride opposite a Dracula dining area and a Romani wagon camp.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
MCU works better as an attraction or two in another land. A NYC area with an Avengers ride or Doctor Strange/Spider-Man ride. 1940's Hollywood themed area with Captain America/Agent Carter themed ride. Sci-Fi land with a Guardians/Hulk/Fantastic Four themed attraction.

This is why I miss lands based on ideas and themes rather than one IP. Imagine if Universal built a Mummy Land instead of integrating it into the NYC area in Orlando. An area which allowed for Ghostbusters, The Mummy/Kong rather than trying to make a land about each. This is why the Monsters area of Epic Universe interest me the most. Its not some recreated movie set with one idea present, its an original land in the style of the Universal Monsters and they could have a Creature from the Black Lagoon ride opposite a Dracula dining area and a Romani wagon camp.
I'm not a Uni Parks person, never have been, never will be.... But I would be down for a Mummy Land, even if its just a mini land, over just having a single ride in a land that may or may not have anything to do with the ride. And I'm so over the movie set idea, I want a fully themed land so it feels like I'm immersed in it, not some recreation of the movie set.

Professortango1

I'm not a Uni Parks person, never have been, never will be.... But I would be down for a Mummy Land, even if its just a mini land, over just having a single ride in a land that may or may not have anything to do with the ride. And I'm so over the movie set idea, I want a fully themed land so it feels like I'm immersed in it, not some recreation of the movie set.
The Mummy did fit in New York, as it was set within a Museum. It's not like there are a multitude of different attractions to base on The Mummy. Give me a ride that fits the land and makes it better vs giving me a single attraction a lot of fluff around it.

I love Indiana Jones, but I'm very glad that Adventureland isn't Indiana Jones Land. The Tiki Room wouldn't match Indiana Jones, so the general 30's-50's exotic outpost theme allows for both Indiana Jones and a show where a Polynesian hut comes to life with singing birds, flowers, and totems.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Mummy did fit in New York, as it was set within a Museum. It's not like there are a multitude of different attractions to base on The Mummy. Give me a ride that fits the land and makes it better vs giving me a single attraction a lot of fluff around it.

I love Indiana Jones, but I'm very glad that Adventureland isn't Indiana Jones Land. The Tiki Room wouldn't match Indiana Jones, so the general 30's-50's exotic outpost theme allows for both Indiana Jones and a show where a Polynesian hut comes to life with singing birds, flowers, and totems.
I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to generic themed lands. I'm just saying in terms of IP specific attractions, I rather have an Arendelle themed land/mini-land with a couple Frozen related attractions centered around the town of Arendelle than a single Frozen ride in a generic themed land. Its more immersive in my opinion to have a land theme around the attractions of the IP rather than generic themed land with a few attractions from various IPs that are lumped together that may or may not fit the theme of the generic land.

mickEblu

The older imagineers understood this. The newer ones? Well they're fine having Pooh in the Bayou for absolutely no reason.

Professortango1

I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to generic themed lands. I'm just saying in terms of IP specific attractions, I rather have an Arendelle themed land/mini-land with a couple Frozen related attractions centered around the town of Arendelle than a single Frozen ride in a generic themed land. Its more immersive in my opinion to have a land theme around the attractions of the IP rather than generic themed land with a few attractions from various IPs that are lumped together that may or may not fit the theme of the generic land.
I think it depends on the IP. Zootopia is an interesting location to explore and the land works. I think Diagon Alley does the same. Although, both of these suffer from being single attraction lands.

The MCU doesn't have a world that I need to visit and explore. Wakanda was a small street set when not in the tech labs or the CGI battlefields. New York is New York, so I don't need a New York focused solely on MCU properties. It's the issue Star Wars runs into. The locales are pretty one-note and the fun is hey setting around the galaxy rather than spending tons of time in Mo's Eisley, a pretty bland barren outpost.

If you can create three quality and different rides around an IP and still have enough left over for walk around exploration, go with the IP land. If your land is pretty much limited to one type of attraction/story, find a bigger land for it to fit into.

For the Mummy, I can't imagine there would be much to explore world-wise. Maybe a lightly themed excavation-site coaster, but that's pretty darn close to the ride we already have. Would a Mummy omnimover or boat ride give us something that fits the franchise and is different enough from the current ride? Not really. Does exploring a faux desert landscape of ruins seem enticing to me? Not really. So set it in a museum as part of a New York section and I"m set for a stronger land.

As I said before, I'd love to see Universal Orlando have a NYC land with a Ghostbusters shooter, Ninja Turtle darkrides, and a Spider-Man thrill ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it depends on the IP. Zootopia is an interesting location to explore and the land works. I think Diagon Alley does the same. Although, both of these suffer from being single attraction lands.

The MCU doesn't have a world that I need to visit and explore. Wakanda was a small street set when not in the tech labs or the CGI battlefields. New York is New York, so I don't need a New York focused solely on MCU properties. It's the issue Star Wars runs into. The locales are pretty one-note and the fun is hey setting around the galaxy rather than spending tons of time in Mo's Eisley, a pretty bland barren outpost.

If you can create three quality and different rides around an IP and still have enough left over for walk around exploration, go with the IP land. If your land is pretty much limited to one type of attraction/story, find a bigger land for it to fit into.

For the Mummy, I can't imagine there would be much to explore world-wise. Maybe a lightly themed excavation-site coaster, but that's pretty darn close to the ride we already have. Would a Mummy omnimover or boat ride give us something that fits the franchise and is different enough from the current ride? Not really. Does exploring a faux desert landscape of ruins seem enticing to me? Not really. So set it in a museum as part of a New York section and I"m set for a stronger land.

As I said before, I'd love to see Universal Orlando have a NYC land with a Ghostbusters shooter, Ninja Turtle darkrides, and a Spider-Man thrill ride.
I agree I think it does depend on the IP, and really how its used. Anything that happens in a real world location is sort of blah to me, because you can see the real thing. But for a fantasy world (and I use the term broadly here, not to mean just the genre) that isn't available in the real world I think that can be exciting. Like I mentioned Arendelle, Zootopia as you mentioned, etc. Wakanda though I think could be an interesting land because its not a place you can visit in the real world, its more than just that single street set that you think it is from the movie. To me these type of lands are an attraction unto themselves, they add to the experience in my opinion, they have something over and above what a generic land can offer.

For example if Stranger Things ever got a land at a theme park, what is more interesting, having a single attraction in a generic land, or having an entire land based on Hawkins with the Upside Down bleeding through that you can explore, to me its the entire land based on Hawkins that is more exciting.

But if you set a land just in generic NYC with a few attractions vaguely tied together because they're set in NYC, its not that exciting to me, because I can experience NYC without spending theme park prices. I'm not there to see the land, I'm there to get on a few attractions and leave as quickly as possible. There is nothing to keep me there longer because its a generic land.

I think Mummy is hard because its based on real world locations, but one built in a fantasy world. So yeah I can see it being its own themed land, but something like that is hard and can see why it doesn't interest you.

As I said I'm not a Uni Park guy, and this is part of the reason why, I'm just not into generic lands that just have a bunch of thrill rides. I can go to my local amusement park for that, for cheaper.

MistaDee

I think I agree with your overarching point, but I take issue with the idea that somehow Zootopia is an IP worthy of exploration in themed worlds but Star Wars isn't?

Talk about one-note locales....in Zootopia it's literally "Rainforest District" "Sahara Square" "Tundra Town" - not much more "one note" than that.

The failings of Galaxy's Edge lie entirely with Disney's execution, not the possibilities presented by the IP.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
I think I agree with your overarching point, but I take issue with the idea that somehow Zootopia is an IP worthy of exploration in themed worlds but Star Wars isn't?

Talk about one-note locales....in Zootopia it's literally "Rainforest District" "Sahara Square" "Tundra Town" - not much more "one note" than that.

The failings of Galaxy's Edge lie entirely with Disney's execution, not the possibilities presented by the IP.
Zootopia’s storyline takes place almost completely in Zootopia, which is very fleshed out and specific. Star Wars is not centered on a singular planet, and is a space opera taking place in different planets every few minutes. The basis of an exploitable and explorable IP is one that is easily recognizable and interesting for a person to explore. Star Wars fits recognizable with Tatooine, but is not interesting in any way, as a hot desert planet in hot climate with no shade is depressing. If it were to have been a different planet, it’s not recognizable to the consumer. Galaxy’s Edge feels star wars but just doesn’t give you that “Harry Potter” feeling. There aren’t enough fleshed out worlds to make it amazing enough. Harry Potter, Zootopia, Frozen, etc are all ips based on a solidified location that make them better for consumers.

Just food for thought, if you were in Disney’s shoes, how would you have done Galaxy’s Edge aside from changing the time period?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom