Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

twebber55

Logic doesn't enter in to this. We are talking about things like this:

"Apple said Tuesday its profit surged 38%, aided again by strong demand for the company’s latest iPhones and robust growth in China where sales more than doubled. The gains lifted Apple’s cash reserves to a record $203 billion.

But while Apple sold 35% more iPhones in the fiscal third quarter compared with a year earlier, those sales missed some analysts’ estimates. Apple also indicated its revenue in the current quarter could come in below Wall Street projections.

Within minutes of the earnings report, Apple’s shares fell as much as 7% in after-hours trading Tuesday, erasing about $60 billion in market value. Shares fell 5.2% in early trading Wednesday. "

Also, you will be dealing with the contingent of people who will look for any reason to declare Avatar II a failure.
but thats not what was being inferred in the earlier posts, the word flop was used several times
totally different than what you are saying

and to your last point this may be the most important thing said in this thread
some folks will look for any reason to blast this project

KLinder7

Always thought they should have timed the new movie with the opening of the new land. Also, why go up against a Star Wars movie after what Ep 7 just did.

ABQ

I'll just say this, with the logic used, Cars 2 was a flop, as it fell short of it's predecessor 244 million vs 191. Yet Carsland in California Adventure is hardly a flop.

ETA, if some nitpicker wants to come in and say "Oh, but Cars 2's worlwide numbers were better and you're skewing this for your own needs!!!111!1111OMGWTFBBQ!!"
I'll have to pull these shenanigans.
totals of Domestic, Worldwide and Home DVD/BR sales.

Cars
$783,347,780

Cars2
$699,084,556

Disclaimer, I'm not saying it was a flop, but that the logic that it must surpass the first movie to NOT be a flop says it was.

FoozieBear

In all honesty, does anyone want to see an Avatar sequel? I barely hear anyone talk about Avatar outside of Disney Park circles and because we can't stop rooting for Star Wars to knock it out of the top spot.

I've never heard of a "die hard" Avatar fan. It never left any pop culture significance and didn't build up a loyal fan base. So is there actually interest in a sequel seven or eight (or more at the rate he's going) years after the original, let alone an entire themed land?

Yes, I look forward for this major leap in WDI storytelling, but I'm trying to wrap my head around it from a logical standpoint.

twebber55

In all honesty, does anyone want to see an Avatar sequel? I barely hear anyone talk about Avatar outside of Disney Park circles and because we can't stop rooting for Star Wars to knock it out of the top spot.

I've never heard of a "die hard" Avatar fan. It never left any pop culture significance and didn't build up a loyal fan base. So is there actually interest in a sequel seven or eight (or more at the rate he's going) years after the original, let alone an entire themed land?

Yes, I look forward for this major leap in WDI storytelling, but I'm trying to wrap my head around it from a logical standpoint.
^^^^^^^^^^^
See what i mean
Logic right out the door

danlb_2000

Premium Member
but thats not what was being inferred in the earlier posts, the word flop was used several times
totally different than what you are saying

and to your last point this may be the most important thing said in this thread
some folks will look for any reason to blast this project

Believe what you want, but I believe there will be people who will set unreasonably high expectations for Avatar II and then will call it a flop when those expectations are not met.

NearTheEars

Becuase the Tower of Terror movie kept people away from WDW and the namesake ride?

The original Twilight Zone series boasted 156 episodes alone.

Avatar has one film to its credit.
If this land was opening a year after the original film, then yeah, the success of its sequel would have little to do with the success of the new attractions.

But we are how many years out from the first film now?

Like I said before, I expect, and really hope we will get an amazing land in Pandora.

But if you aren't a regular WDW guest, would you be excited enough to book a visit to a theme park with a new land dedicated to the world of a newly-bombed film?

Do I personally think the film will bomb? No. This is all a hypothetical discussion about if it did.

Goofnut1980

Maybe they will change the name and tell Cameron to shove it!... I would love to be a fly on the wall when they tell that little cry-baby-stuck-up-prissy thing that he needs to uphold his end of the bargain.. It seems he has been a thorn in the side of this happening since the beginning.. Walt would have NEVER dealt with that.

HouseHacker97

Why is anyone assuming Avatar 2 will be a "flop"? Are we forgetting it's #1 on the list on the highest-grossing films of all time? Are you forgetting #2 is also from James Cameron? Perhaps the reason Cameron is taking his time is because he wants to perfect it, to make sure it won't be a "flop". If Disney rushed him and the release, the film has a higher chance of becoming this failure everyone assumes it will be with the attached negative press on the land. The reason you don't see ultra Avatar fans yet is because the sequels have yet to be released. It's important to remember that the Star Wars fan base grew exponentially after the sequels when Star Wars IV was the highest-grossing film of all time, and I have no doubt the same is possible for Avatar. Give it a chance

NearTheEars

Why is anyone assuming Avatar 2 will be a "flop"? Are we forgetting it's #1 on the list on the highest-grossing films of all time? Are you forgetting #2 is also from James Cameron? Perhaps the reason Cameron is taking his time is because he wants to perfect it, to make sure it won't be a "flop". If Disney rushed him and the release, the film has a higher chance of becoming this failure everyone assumes it will be with the attached negative press on the land. The reason you don't see ultra Avatar fans yet is because the sequels have yet to be released. It's important to remember that the Star Wars fan base grew exponentially after the sequels when Star Wars IV was the highest-grossing film of all time, and I have no doubt the same is possible for Avatar. Give it a chance

I hope it's a huge he success! The land too. Can't wait to see it at night.
Just merely discussing the impact a flop would potentially have on it.
And hopefully that's something we won't ever know.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I hope it's a huge he success! The land too. Can't wait to see it at night.
Just merely discussing the impact a flop would potentially have on it.

The second two Jurassic Park movies were pretty terrible, but that didn't impact the fact that the rides at the various Universal parks are incredibly popular. The fourth Indiana Jones movie was pretty terrible, yet I don't think anyone would complain if they built a new Indiana Jones attraction at WDW. I think the first Avatar movie alone was solid enough that any potential flops in the sequels will have little impact on the success or failure of the land. The general concept of a highly themed area of an amusement park with floating mountains, bio-luminescent plants, and getting to fly on dragon like creatures would hold up on its own even if it wasn't attached to a movie... being that it is attached to a movie simply means they don't have to do as much "visitor education" on backstory...

NearTheEars

The second two Jurassic Park movies were pretty terrible, but that didn't impact the fact that the rides at the various Universal parks are incredibly popular. The fourth Indiana Jones movie was pretty terrible, yet I don't think anyone would complain if they built a new Indiana Jones attraction at WDW. I think the first Avatar movie alone was solid enough that any potential flops in the sequels will have little impact on the success or failure of the land. The general concept of a highly themed area of an amusement park with floating mountains, bio-luminescent plants, and getting to fly on dragon like creatures would hold up on its own even if it wasn't attached to a movie... being that it is attached to a movie simply means they don't have to do as much "visitor education" on backstory...

I feel like Jurrasic Park and Indy are many folks favorite movies of all time. Do you think the same can be said for Avatar?

Certainly visually stunning (like the land will be) and a must-see in 3D at a theater.

I expect the land to be awesome, but with failed sequels it may not boost attendance. But hopefully once people are in DAK and experience it, they will want to return for sure.

So to sum up my thoughts one last time: I think the land will be awesome. Sucks that the films are delayed. Hope, and don't expect them to fail. But if they hypothetically did, I think it would impact the decision of a guest deciding whether or not to go to DAK.

Tay

Avatar hype has died drastically . It was hyped so much because of Cameron's previous success and the amazing technology . Everyone I knew who went to see it said it was beautiful but sucked . After it started airing on TV , Twitter went in on how they hated the movie and how it was a ripoff Pocahontas. The sequels won't make as much as the first one .

Would I have preferred a Pocahontas boat ride instead of Avatar and using all of the money they spent on this land to expand Africa and build Tarzan and Lion King E Tickets? Yes but I'm still going to ride the rides. They seem amazing .I'm not spending a dime in Pandora though. How you hurt Disney is not spending any money in the parks . I wouldn't even get a generic souvenir cup in Pandora .

I remember Avatar toys were on clearance at my Target for $2 for weeks . If Disney thinks they are going to sell 10% of anything Avatar related to wands Universal sell they are kidding themselves.

HouseHacker97

Avatar hype has died drastically . It was hyped so much because of Cameron's previous success and the amazing technology . Everyone I knew who went to see it said it was beautiful but sucked . After it started airing on TV , Twitter went in on how they hated the movie and how it was a ripoff Pocahontas. The sequels won't make as much as the first one .

As I recall, Cars and Cars 2 were not well received by critics or any audiences. Cars 2 literally got a 39% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 57% on Metacritic. People hated the movie but It didn't change how much people love the land?? The majority of viewers enjoyed Avatar and gave it incredible ratings. What makes you think the sequel will fail?

Tay

As I recall, Cars and Cars 2 were not well received by critics or any audiences. Cars 2 literally got a 39% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 57% on Metacritic. People hated the movie but It didn't change how much people love the land?? The majority of viewers enjoyed Avatar and gave it incredible ratings. What makes you think the sequel will fail?
I loved the 1st liked the 2nd after my little bro watched it so many times but I could see why people didn't like the 2nd one. Cars is and was back then a billion dollar franchise. Why would the execs care about what grown critics think when they were still selling Cars merch like crazy after the bad reviews? People didn't like Cars 2 because the main characters in Cars were pushed to the side and it wasn't set in Radiators Springs. CL doesn't include any of the 2nd movie.

I think Avatar sequels won't do well because the main draw was the technology. Now in 2016 it's played out. Not many people seem to care anymore as well. I don't think the sequels well the 2nd one won't flop like Fantastic 4.

twebber55

I loved the 1st liked the 2nd after my little bro watched it so many times but I could see why people didn't like the 2nd one. Cars is and was back then a billion dollar franchise. Why would the execs care about what grown critics think when they were still selling Cars merch like crazy after the bad reviews? People didn't like Cars 2 because the main characters in Cars were pushed to the side and it wasn't set in Radiators Springs. CL doesn't include any of the 2nd movie.

I think Avatar sequels won't do well because the main draw was the technology. Now in 2016 it's played out. Not many people seem to care anymore as well. I don't think the sequels well the 2nd one won't flop like Fantastic 4.
this is my last post on this particular subject because its beyond crazy but i digress
three numbers for you....home market sales
what three movies you ask
Frozen
The Avengers
Avatar nearly doubled the avengers in blu ray and dvd sales
so if the movie was just a hit because of the 3D tech why are the dvd blu ray sales all time number 1

DAK is about the environment, a park that has few characters
you go to Africa, you go to Asia, you ll go to Pandora
you go to places, Joe Rohde himself calls DAK a first person park the events happen to you so thats what the land will be. you visiting a place and the experience is yours

Tay

Ok @twebber55 I guess you missed where I said I'm going to Pandora but not buying anything in it. Those sales are irrelevant. You do know Nelly has sold 30 million albums and I'm sure he could sell out MSG today :rolleyes: .

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom