Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

AEfx

I actually think it's a much closer ripoff of the movie Fern Gully, but point still taken...

And yet many say "Dances With Wolves", among others.

Some try to liken it to Star Wars, not in theme but because George Lucas heavily borrowed from several other sources to create its plot; however, the difference there was that the things Lucas chose were much more obscure, whereas Cameron basically just riffed off of a laundry list of popular films over the past few decades.

In any case, the fact is - Avatar has no fandom to speak of. Kids today who hear "Avatar" think the other Avatar, and the adults that flocked to see this "3D marvel" have long since gotten over 3D as spectacle since it's become so common place. There is also a growing backlash over such CGI-heavy films.

Disney better hope what it's building is impressive on it's own, because there is nothing to ride on the coattails of. That's why it's really the opposite of Star Wars - you can play a single music queue and instantly folks are going to recognize something Star Wars, yet with Avatar - I can't wait to hear about CM's being asked questions about why the Smurfs are so long and thin now. ;)

flyerjab

What I will be interested in seeing is the story lines for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th movies. This first one had a simple plot that borrowed heavily from common tropes used in other films. And that is pretty much commonplace in Hollywood. There are so many other movies that are similar to other movies. However, based off of that fact, and coupled with the visual spectacle that it was, the movie grossed 2.8 billion. And for what it is worth, aside from my better half, most people that I talk to about the movie loved it. Personally, I find it amusing that people seem offended that a movie with a plot that wasn't as original as Citizen Kane somehow managed to fool the majority of movie goers that went to see it. And now, magically, everyone says that the movie is horrible. People have every right to not like a movie. But don't try to sell to me that 'now everyone thinks it sucked' when the movie still sold more tickets - especially internationally - than TFA, another visually stunning movie with a simple plot that has borrowed heavily from other movies (specifically, the very movies that make TFA a sequel). And for the record, I loved both Avatar and TFA - more so TFA.

And as far as this not being a cultural phenomenon, so what? I am still of the impression that if this land looks as incredible as it appears (especially at night), coupled with 2 excellent rides, it will do incredibly well. I don't think that there needs to be this massive worldwide cult following of this one single movie to make this expansion a success. As a matter of fact, this could mirror how successful Splash Mountain is as a ride, but on the scale of an entire land.

I am a wait and see type of guy on this one. Will it be as possible as a Star Wars Land? Nope. But it doesn't need to be to be considered a success.

AEfx

And for what it is worth, aside from my better half, most people that I talk to about the movie loved it. Personally, I find it amusing that people seem offended that a movie with a plot that wasn't as original as Citizen Kane somehow managed to fool the majority of movie goers that went to see it. And now, magically, everyone says that the movie is horrible.

No one says anyone was "fooled" - but they were there to see visual effects and this new fangled digital 3D.
Can your better half remember the name of a single character? Two? Or recall a memorable quote from the film?

It simply had no resonance. Just like movies can be poorly received upon release and later reevaluated, the same can happen to films like Avatar, which over time simply don't have the depth, so to speak, that some believed to initially be there.

flyerjab

No one says anyone was "fooled" - but they were there to see visual effects and this new fangled digital 3D.
Can your better half remember the name of a single character? Two? Or recall a memorable quote from the film?

It simply had no resonance. Just like movies can be poorly received upon release and later reevaluated, the same can happen to films like Avatar, which over time simply don't have the depth, so to speak, that some believed to initially be there.

The point of mentioning my better half was because she did not like the movie. So she most definitely would not remember any of their names.

And your first statement about visual effects and "new fangled" digital 3D, well, that is your opinion. And that is fine. I have no issues if that is what you believe to be true. I just don't entirely agree with that viewpoint.

RSoxNo1

And yet many say "Dances With Wolves", among others.

Some try to liken it to Star Wars, not in theme but because George Lucas heavily borrowed from several other sources to create its plot; however, the difference there was that the things Lucas chose were much more obscure, whereas Cameron basically just riffed off of a laundry list of popular films over the past few decades.

In any case, the fact is - Avatar has no fandom to speak of. Kids today who hear "Avatar" think the other Avatar, and the adults that flocked to see this "3D marvel" have long since gotten over 3D as spectacle since it's become so common place. There is also a growing backlash over such CGI-heavy films.

Disney better hope what it's building is impressive on it's own, because there is nothing to ride on the coattails of. That's why it's really the opposite of Star Wars - you can play a single music queue and instantly folks are going to recognize something Star Wars, yet with Avatar - I can't wait to hear about CM's being asked questions about why the Smurfs are so long and thin now. ;)
And the Air Up There

Marlins1

Looks like Cameron's blockbusters are going to remain #1 and #2 worldwide. They have fought off all of the big IP's in recent years. They rely heavily on international gross but so des WDW. Might not be such a bad horse to bet on after all.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like Cameron's blockbusters are going to remain #1 and #2 worldwide. They have fought off all of the big IP's in recent years. They rely heavily on international gross but so des WDW. Might not be such a bad horse to bet on after all.

Avatar's world wide gross is a hard one to top. Just to put in in perspective, in 2015 only 9 movies made more money overall then just the difference between the Titanic's and Avatar's worldwide grosses.

Po'Rich

I feel like Jurrasic Park and Indy are many folks favorite movies of all time. Do you think the same can be said for Avatar?

It is my 16 year old son's absolutely favorite movie (and not just flavor of the month favorite movie). He watches it over and over again.

Marlins1

Avatar's world wide gross is a hard one to top. Just to put in in perspective, in 2015 only 9 movies made more money overall then just the difference between the Titanic's and Avatar's worldwide grosses.
I hear you on the Avatar number but I really thought TFA would topple Titanic;)

sedati

Cameron makes cinematic epics that HAVE to be seen in the theater- often repeatedly. It is true that they lose a lot when scaled down to the home viewing experience even on a top notch home theater. Worse so to watch something like Titanic or Avatar on a tablet, phone, watch, Tomogatchi etc. The scope and style of his films should translate extremely well into physical themed environments and attractions.
I don't take any delays in the sequels as a bad thing. Cameron is a perfectionist and his recent comments have shown that he is well aware of the expectations both positive and negative and I think he is his won worse critic and is striving to outdo himself (I don't think he can top his numbers in the box office, but the idea of a flop is to me, ludicrous.)
As for the park, the delay just means longer relevance. I don't think you needed the one-two punch of the land and film opening simultaneously. The land will generate excitement and then the films should sustain it.
Thanks again to everyone putting up photos (though I disagree about getting past any fences to do so.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Cameron makes cinematic epics that HAVE to be seen in the theater- often repeatedly. It is true that they lose a lot when scaled down to the home viewing experience even on a top notch home theater. Worse so to watch something like Titanic or Avatar on a tablet, phone, watch, Tomogatchi etc. The scope and style of his films should translate extremely well into physical themed environments and attractions.
I don't take any delays in the sequels as a bad thing. Cameron is a perfectionist and his recent comments have shown that he is well aware of the expectations both positive and negative and I think he is his won worse critic and is striving to outdo himself (I don't think he can top his numbers in the box office, but the idea of a flop is to me, ludicrous.)
As for the park, the delay just means longer relevance. I don't think you needed the one-two punch of the land and film opening simultaneously. The land will generate excitement and then the films should sustain it.
Thanks again to everyone putting up photos (though I disagree about getting past any fences to do so.)

I don't believe the latest photo in the construction thread was taken from past a fence. If I am not mistaken it was taken from outside the back entrance to Rainforest Café. There is a small raised berm along one side with some trees and a fence at the top. Taking a picture over the fence from the top of that berm is still technically in guest area, although I am sure CM's would not approve.

MagicGoofy

I finally felt like this forum was getting somewhere in terms of opinions on the movie and how much it will affect the land.. looks like we are back to square one all over again... I'm just gonna write down a few of the usernames who say over and over again the land will flop. So that when it doesn't, they can't go hide under the rocks they were in before they announced the sequel was delayed.

Tay

Lol Pandora is going in Animal Kingdom not Magic Kingdom . Of course it's going to be popular. There are like 7 rides currently 3 of them are thrill rides and one is a spinner. The land will fail imo because the merchandise sales won't be worth the money spent to acquire the rights and dealing with Cameron.

doctornick

It may get a re-release before Episode 8 which might push it past Titanic.

And FWIW TFA already has passed Titanic's first run box office numbers -- it made $1.84B in its first run.

I feel like if TFA is close to Titanic's total box office that it will likely get a re-release in the run up to Ep VIII, with at least a special trailer, if not some added scenes.

NearTheEars

I finally felt like this forum was getting somewhere in terms of opinions on the movie and how much it will affect the land.. looks like we are back to square one all over again... I'm just gonna write down a few of the usernames who say over and over again the land will flop. So that when it doesn't, they can't go hide under the rocks they were in before they announced the sequel was delayed.

I think the land will be spectacular, and the movies quality.
I have only been speculating on the possible impact of a dud film on future visitors that aren't addicted to WDW (like most of us). People that weren't planning a trip and happened to catch a commercial featuring the park's latest offerings.

I don't understand why it's crazy to think that it would be tough to market new attractions that are tied to a film franchise that (hypothetically) just fell on its face. If you were a member of the marketing team, don't you think that would make your job a lot harder?

dizda

I think the land will be spectacular, and the movies quality.
I have only been speculating on the possible impact of a dud film on future visitors that aren't addicted to WDW (like most of us). People that weren't planning a trip and happened to catch a commercial featuring the park's latest offerings.

I don't understand why it's crazy to think that it would be tough to market new attractions that are tied to a film franchise that (hypothetically) just fell on its face. If you were a member of the marketing team, don't you think that would make your job a lot harder?
If the movie is a huge turkey, meaning a critical and box office failure, marketing a land based on the franchise would be difficult in the short term. If the new movies are well received but simply under perform at the box office, provided that the land is well done, I do not see as much of a problem. There will not be the same negative feelings and "bad taste" associated with the franchise that could carry over to the new land. If worse came to worst, the marketing team could focus on the experience and ignore the connection with the films ("explore the newest land of mystic mountains and glowing night time forests in Walt Disney World").

RSoxNo1

Lol Pandora is going in Animal Kingdom not Magic Kingdom . Of course it's going to be popular. There are like 7 rides currently 3 of them are thrill rides and one is a spinner. The land will fail imo because the merchandise sales won't be worth the money spent to acquire the rights and dealing with Cameron.
You're thinking like an accountant. That's frowned upon here. The land can fail financially but be a success for guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom