Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

Lirael

I felt the movie was generic at best (plotwise) and didnt like that they would dedicate such a huge chunk of AK to it...

But that said, if the Land is well done, it won't need to rely on movie success. Afterall, one of the more famous Disney rides is based on a movie Disney would really, REALLY like it if you forgot ever existed and refuses to sell merchandise of said movie. This being Splash Mountain, based on Song of the South.

So sure, the movies being a hit is necessary for making as much movie as they can squeeze out of people, but ultimately the land can still stand on its own and bring in guests without it so long as well done.

RSoxNo1

I felt the movie was generic at best (plotwise) and didnt like that they would dedicate such a huge chunk of AK to it...

But that said, if the Land is well done, it won't need to rely on movie success. Afterall, one of the more famous Disney rides is based on a movie Disney would really, REALLY like it if you forgot ever existed and refuses to sell merchandise of said movie. This being Splash Mountain, based on Song of the South.

So sure, the movies being a hit is necessary for making as much movie as they can squeeze out of people, but ultimately the land can still stand on its own and bring in guests without it so long as well done.
The movie was the highest grossing movie worldwide of all time. It, like every movie has it's flaws, but it was truly a phenomenon. The land itself has an opportunity to be visually stunning and I fully expect it to satisfy that. But for the land to be considered a success, the attractions need to be great, just like any other land. You don't have to care about the movie. If the attractions are great, the intellectual property is irrelevant.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Regardless of your opinion on the movie (series?) looks like Avatar will be around for quite some time now that there are set to be FOUR sequels... (2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023)

http://screenrant.com/avatar-sequel...dium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P

They even have a "logo" for the series now...

avatar-sequels-logo-james-cameron.jpeg

Last edited:

celluloid

I know James just had an announcement to a vegas crowd about it too, but things can always change. If the next two don't perform well enough to warrant, they could cancel the others. They are likely to keep going though.
The merchandise opportunities better increase a lot though, because it lacks that appeal that other major IP's that theme parks go after.

DfromATX

I wonder which will be finished first, the new land or the movie sequel...

It's a long way's off: "He said each of the four sequels will be able to stand alone, but will together create a saga. His goal is to release Avatar 2 at Christmas 2018 and the a new film in 2020, 2021 and 2022."

I'm looking forward to it though!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Regardless of your opinion on the movie (series?) looks like Avatar will be around for quite some time now that there are set to be FOUR sequels... (2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023)

http://screenrant.com/avatar-sequel...dium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P

They even have a "logo" for the series now...

avatar-sequels-logo-james-cameron.jpeg

I am reluctant to bet against Cameron turning out good work, but I am really skeptical that this story can be stretched into 4 good sequels. I also think there is a .001% chance that all four will ever get made.

FigmentJedi

I am reluctant to bet against Cameron turning out good work, but I am really skeptical that this story can be stretched into 4 good sequels. I also think there is a .001% chance that all four will ever get made.
He plans on shooting them all at once. Also, I'm pretty sure Avatar is Fox's solution for Star Wars having gone over to Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
He plans on shooting them all at once. Also, I'm pretty sure Avatar is Fox's solution for Star Wars having gone over to Disney.

The actual filming is a very small part of what is involved in making these movies, it wouldn't be a big loss for the studio if they didn't use all the footage that was shot.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Given the spacing of the last two, I'm prone to believe that the last two will really be Avatar 4 Parts 1 & 2... But yeah, I agree that's a lot of movies to commit to making so early...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Random thought - the films will probably cost about the same as Avatar Land....

Avatar was officially budgeted at $237 million. Other estimates put the cost between $280 million and $310 million for production and at $150 million for promotion... the estimates I'm hearing for Avatar-land are "pushing $1 billion"... I would think the sequels would cost less since much of the technology/renderings are already done, but yeah, the cost of the series as a whole just to produce (not even to market) could come close to $1 billion...

DarthMileZ

Seriously does everyone believe that these movies are going to be bad. I have never seen a bad Cameron movie IMHO and numbers don't lie. He has some of the most successful movies of all time. People are going to like the land, the movies, and the Avatar DVC tree bungalows that they will eventually build. I am looking forward to it.

My 2 cents.

Aliens was bad... even though many would disagree. Alien 3 was better and stuck towards the original

EpcotCenter82

The first sequel was initially scheduled for release in December 2014 so he's at least four years behind. I think there's a higher probability that my grandchildren will see the sequels, not me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom