Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

BrianV

it kinda made the aliens seem weak tho. you look at alien, she really struggled to kill one alien, in aliens she killed hundreds if not thousands and a queen... yet in alien 3 she struggled again...

Alien 3 also goes back to the haunted house in space idea that ridley wanted

There were only 157 aliens in Aliens. One for each dead colonists.

But I see your point. She did however have guns!

JohnWD

Another sequel? How about you try and finish just ONE, Jim. Guy has a real issue finishing things. It's no wonder he's on his fifth wife.

LOL

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/#producer

Writer (28 credits)
Producer (30 credits)
Director (23 credits)
Actor (5 credits)
Editor (7 credits)
Miscellaneous Crew (6 credits)
Visual effects (3 credits)
Camera and Electrical Department (2 credits)
Art department (2 credits)
Production designer (2 credits)
Cinematographer (1 credit)
Art director (1 credit)
Second Unit Director or Assistant Director (1 credit)
Thanks (35 credits)
Self (150 credits)
Archive footage (11 credits)

Avatar 4 (producer) (pre-production)
2020Avatar 3 (producer) (pre-production)
2018Avatar 2 (producer) (pre-production)
Alita: Battle Angel (producer) (announced)
The Informationist (producer) (announced)
The Last Train from Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back (producer) (delayed)
2015Beyond Glory (executive producer)
2014Deepsea Challenge 3D (Documentary) (producer)
2014Years of Living Dangerously (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 9 episodes)
- Moving a Mountain (2014) ... (executive producer)
- A Dangerous Future (2014) ... (executive producer)
- Revolt, Rebuild, Renew (2014) ... (executive producer)
- Winds of Change (2014) ... (executive producer)
- True Colors (2014) ... (executive producer)
2012Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (executive producer)
2012Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2011Sanctum (executive producer)
2009Avatar (producer)
2007The Lost Tomb of Jesus (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2006The Exodus Decoded (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2005Titanic Adventure (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2005Last Mysteries of the Titanic (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2005Aliens of the Deep (Documentary) (producer)
2003Volcanoes of the Deep Sea (Short documentary) (executive producer)
2003Ghosts of the Abyss (Documentary) (producer)
2002Expedition: Bismarck (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2002Solaris (producer)
2000-2002Dark Angel (TV Series) (executive producer - 42 episodes)
- Freak Nation (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Love Among the Runes (2002) ... (executive producer)
- She Ain't Heavy (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Dawg Day Afternoon (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Hello, Goodbye (2002) ... (executive producer)
Show all 42 episodes
1998Titanic Explorer (Video Game) (executive producer)
1997Titanic (producer)
1995Strange Days (producer)
1994True Lies (producer)
1991Point Break (executive producer)
1991Terminator 2: Judgment Day (producer)
1978Xenogenesis (Short) (producer)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
LOL

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/#producer

Writer (28 credits)
Producer (30 credits)
Director (23 credits)
Actor (5 credits)
Editor (7 credits)
Miscellaneous Crew (6 credits)
Visual effects (3 credits)
Camera and Electrical Department (2 credits)
Art department (2 credits)
Production designer (2 credits)
Cinematographer (1 credit)
Art director (1 credit)
Second Unit Director or Assistant Director (1 credit)
Thanks (35 credits)
Self (150 credits)
Archive footage (11 credits)

Avatar 4 (producer) (pre-production)
2020Avatar 3 (producer) (pre-production)
2018Avatar 2 (producer) (pre-production)
Alita: Battle Angel (producer) (announced)
The Informationist (producer) (announced)
The Last Train from Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back (producer) (delayed)
2015Beyond Glory (executive producer)
2014Deepsea Challenge 3D (Documentary) (producer)
2014Years of Living Dangerously (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 9 episodes)
- Moving a Mountain (2014) ... (executive producer)
- A Dangerous Future (2014) ... (executive producer)
- Revolt, Rebuild, Renew (2014) ... (executive producer)
- Winds of Change (2014) ... (executive producer)
- True Colors (2014) ... (executive producer)
2012Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (executive producer)
2012Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2011Sanctum (executive producer)
2009Avatar (producer)
2007The Lost Tomb of Jesus (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2006The Exodus Decoded (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
2005Titanic Adventure (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2005Last Mysteries of the Titanic (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2005Aliens of the Deep (Documentary) (producer)
2003Volcanoes of the Deep Sea (Short documentary) (executive producer)
2003Ghosts of the Abyss (Documentary) (producer)
2002Expedition: Bismarck (TV Movie documentary) (producer)
2002Solaris (producer)
2000-2002Dark Angel (TV Series) (executive producer - 42 episodes)
- Freak Nation (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Love Among the Runes (2002) ... (executive producer)
- She Ain't Heavy (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Dawg Day Afternoon (2002) ... (executive producer)
- Hello, Goodbye (2002) ... (executive producer)
Show all 42 episodes
1998Titanic Explorer (Video Game) (executive producer)
1997Titanic (producer)
1995Strange Days (producer)
1994True Lies (producer)
1991Point Break (executive producer)
1991Terminator 2: Judgment Day (producer)
1978Xenogenesis (Short) (producer)

I am not sure if you are trying to prove or dis-prove the op on this. To me this proves his point. In 35 years as a director he has only finished eight feature films, and five of them were in the first 10 year. I love his movies, but he takes his time making them.

JohnWD

I am not sure if you are trying to prove or dis-prove the op on this. To me this proves his point. In 35 years as a director he has only finished eight feature films, and five of them were in the first 10 year. I love his movies, but he takes his time making them.
Good point! But he has been successful all his career, and compares favorably to his peers. On this board, we typically want to know plans, and in this case, he has given us his plan. Now we throw darts at the plan! I think we will never be satisfied.

RSoxNo1

It might also explain the sudden rush to get a Marvel attraction open.
In all seriousness though, Rohde is one of the few imagineers that pushes the envelope and tries to innovate. Unfortunately it has resulted in the Tree of Death and Disco Yeti. Here's hoping Pandora's technological achievements continue to work. If that was indeed a Na'vi animatronic at the end of that video, it's insane.

PorterRedkey

Exactly!

Here a list of the movies he DIRECTED:
2009Avatar
2005Aliens of the Deep (Documentary)
2003Ghosts of the Abyss (Documentary)
1997Titanic
1996T2 3-D: Battle Across Time (Short)
1996Terminator 2 3-D: Battle Across Time Pre-Show (Short)
1994True Lies
1991Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1989The Abyss
1988Martini Ranch: Reach (Video short)
1986Aliens
1984The Terminator
1981Piranha Part Two: The Spawning
1978Xenogenesis (Short)

7 full features, 2 shorts, 2 attraction components, and 2 documentaries.

I listed only the movies he directed because sometimes a producer is just the money man or has very little input, but that may not be the case with Cameron.

MereMickey

Ugh. I hate being a negative nelly, but I still have the same thoughts I had when I first heard AK was getting an Avatar addition. I just don't like it. I think it will be beautiful and well put together, but I have no need to run over to DAK just to go see Avatarland especially when DHS is getting Star Wars. Totally staying at the Broadwalk DVC and trucking it to EPCOT (my favorite park of all time) and DHS next Disney Family Reunion Vacation 2017. I mean, I won't not go cause I have to see what JR has cooked up again. The man is brilliant at bringing art to life. But, meh.

I digress. I do not know how the Avatar sequel will even play out in the scheme of things. I am sure it will bring in huge numbers at the box office but for what reason I can not fathom. The reason everyone went nuts for the first movie is because the technology that was used to make the movie was beyond anything anyone had ever witnessed on big screen. The story is at best weak. I believe it is one of the most visually arresting films I have ever seen, but I can't do with the cheesy dialog a second time.

Plus, Avatar is now going up against other movies that are now caught up in terms of CGI and all that other good stuff. You can have a visually pleasing movie, but if the story falls flat, this expansion just gets weirder. I still do not get how Disney and Avatar/James Cameron even teamed up. I get Disney must still be salty after failing to keep JK Rowling in their pocket when they refused her not having Fast Passes on her rides. But to answer Universal's Wizarding World with Avatar is laughable to me. If Disney did not own Marvel and/or Star Wars, I can see this collaboration making more sense. But they are basically fronting an expansion that has nothing to do with Disney? Is there a Disney connection that I totally missing or is this as random as it gets. Disney has Star Wars and Marvel to just top out on in cool factor. Avatar is a bit weak for me.

I wouldn't want to be part of many movie studio trying to put up a major blockbuster that does not own Disney or Warner Brothers for the next 5-7 years. You are up against all the Marvel movies that have yet to be released. The remaining two reboot Star Wars trilogy movies, plus the off shoots that are also being released. Plus, you have a second Harry Potter trilogy coming out. It's tall order. I think Cameron is a movie genius. Alien, Terminator and Titanic have stood the test of time and are favorites that people still keep going back to. But for real… how many people have Avatar tumblr fan pages, Avatar youtube channel reviews and fan blogs and vlogs, discussion forums? Not many. I am sure they are out there, but you have to go looking for them. When I am standing around the cooler at work and fan-girling about geek pop-culture, Avatar just isn't a movie that gets brought up.

I don't know. This should be really interesting to watch how it goes down.

Last edited:

BrianV

If Disney did not own Marvel and/or Star Wars, I can see this collaboration making more sense.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think they owned star wars when they made this commitment. Also, Marvel is owned by disney but universal has an exclusive licence in Florida.

The more I think about it the more I'm impressed . Usually disney waits until a movie is a hit to build a ride (ala frozen) but this time the park and the movies will be cross promoting each other. A huge risk in a company that never takes risks anymore.

HouseHacker97

Ugh. I hate being a negative nelly, but I still have the same thoughts I had when I first heard AK was getting an Avatar addition. I just don't like it. I think it will be beautiful and well put together, but I have no need to run over to DAK just to go see Avatarland especially when DHS is getting Star Wars. Totally staying at the Broadwalk DVC and trucking it to EPCOT (my favorite park of all time) and DHS next Disney Family Reunion Vacation 2017. I mean, I won't not go cause I have to see what JR has cooked up again. The man is brilliant at bringing art to life. But, meh.

I digress. I do not know how the Avatar sequel will even play out in the scheme of things. I am sure it will bring in huge numbers at the box office but for what reason I can not fathom. The reason everyone went nuts for the first movie is because the technology that was used to make the movie was beyond anything anyone had ever witnessed on big screen. The story is at best weak. I believe it is one of the most visually arresting films I have ever seen, but I can't do with the cheesy dialog a second time.

Plus, Avatar is now going up against other movies that are now caught up in terms of CGI and all that other good stuff. You can have a visually pleasing movie, but if the story falls flat, this expansion just gets weirder. I still do not get how Disney and Avatar/James Cameron even teamed up. I get Disney must still be salty after failing to keep JK Rowling in their pocket when they refused her not having Fast Passes on her rides. But to answer Universal's Wizarding World with Avatar is laughable to me. If Disney did not own Marvel and/or Star Wars, I can see this collaboration making more sense. But they are basically fronting an expansion that has nothing to do with Disney? Is there a Disney connection that I totally missing or is this as random as it gets. Disney has Star Wars and Marvel to just top out on in cool factor. Avatar is a bit weak for me.

I wouldn't want to be part of many movie studio trying to put up a major blockbuster that does not own Disney or Warner Brothers for the next 5-7 years. You are up against all the Marvel movies that have yet to be released. The remaining two reboot Star Wars trilogy movies, plus the off shoots that are also being released. Plus, you have a second Harry Potter trilogy coming out. It's tall order. I think Cameron is a movie genius. Alien, Terminator and Titanic have stood the test of time and are favorites that people still keep going back to. But for real… how many people have Avatar tumblr fan pages, Avatar youtube channel reviews and fan blogs and vlogs, discussion forums? Not many. I am sure they are out there, but you have to go looking for them. When I am standing around the cooler at work and fan-girling about geek pop-culture, Avatar just isn't a movie that gets brought up.

I don't know. This should be really interesting to watch how it goes down.

I don't think people should decide not to go to the park just because the movie didn't impress them

Electricsoup

I may be mistaken, but I don't think they owned star wars when they made this commitment. Also, Marvel is owned by disney but universal has an exclusive licence in Florida.

They did not own SW (or Marvel I believe) when they made this deal. Also, the movies had actual timelines for release.

That being said, I'll ride these rides - they sound cool regardless of theming. They could easily change it too in the future to something more generic/Jungle Book/Zootopia if they wanted to.

MereMickey

The more I think about it the more I'm impressed . Usually disney waits until a movie is a hit to build a ride (ala frozen) but this time the park and the movies will be cross promoting each other. A huge risk in a company that never takes risks anymore.

You may be right on that. I am a bit foggy on the timeline when Disney went franchise shopping. Correct, Universal owns the rights to Marvel from the Mississippi River to the east coast, while they do not have the rights from the Miss. River to the west coast.

Yeah, I am interested in seeing how it plays out. I certainly have my doubts at the moment. But you do make an excellent point… Disney has been playing it safe in ways it use to push the envelope when they first came on the scene. I definitely agree with you on. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong in this case but man if this fails thats a massive amount of money lost. Yikes!

MereMickey

I don't think people should decide not to go to the park just because the movie didn't impress them

I should prefaced… I certainly will give it a go, but it just isn't on the top of the list the next time we go to Disney. I won't miss it. But Star Wars, Toy Story and Disney Springs top my personal list at the moment. I'm just not totally jazzed about it like I am about the other expansions. I love Joe's designs, so I will be stopping by to see what he pulls out. The flying mountains certainly something I like to see how they pull off. But while everyone else is at Avatar, I'll be hitting up Safari and Expedition Everest to get in some extra riding time. ;)

MereMickey

They did not own SW (or Marvel I believe) when they made this deal. Also, the movies had actual timelines for release.

That being said, I'll ride these rides - they sound cool regardless of theming. They could easily change it too in the future to something more generic/Jungle Book/Zootopia if they wanted to.

Jungle Book would be stunning to see in a park setting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The timelines on these were pretty close. Talks with Lucas started in May of 2011 but the deal was not announced until October 2012. Disney approached Cameron in "early 2011" and the deal was announced in September of 2011. So it's likely the Avatar deal was finalized before things became firm with Lucas.

Mike S

I should prefaced… I certainly will give it a go, but it just isn't on the top of the list the next time we go to Disney. I won't miss it. But Star Wars, Toy Story and Disney Springs top my personal list at the moment. I'm just not totally jazzed about it like I am about the other expansions. I love Joe's designs, so I will be stopping by to see what he pulls out. The flying mountains certainly something I like to see how they pull off. But while everyone else is at Avatar, I'll be hitting up Safari and Expedition Everest to get in some extra riding time. ;)
You're looking more forward to Toy-O-Rama and Disney Mall than Avatar? o_O

MereMickey

You're looking more forward to Toy-O-Rama and Disney Mall than Avatar? o_O

Haha! Yup. Not ashamed! Listen Earl of Sandwich will never get old for me. It's the first place I go to once I de-plane. The blue people don't get me so excited as say R2 or the Wookie. Meh. Earl first, Navi second. Oh, and Toy Story is up on top of my list due to my nephews. I love seeing how excited they get with Toy Story and Cars. They are two and five so they are at the age where it's either really scary or really fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom