Avatar, Tron, Guardians, Star Wars, Marvel

Animewarsdude

I'd prefer if AK had gotten its mythical and fantasy creatures expansion, but I understand that ship sort of sailed with Eisner and, Disneyland Paris issues, and Islands of Adventure sort of nixing those plans. It fits enough that I can accept it, and FOP is great fun.

Tron, I'm fine with, it will hopefully be fun and fits in the area enough for me, especially more than Laugh Floor does.

Guardians is the one I least like, and am not exactly looking forward too. I like the films, but they don't feel like a good fit for the park. Had it been put in Studios that would be fine but doesn't seem to have anything really to do with learning, the future (Aside from being sci-fi), or energy nor do I suspect they will use it as anything more than a thrill ride.

Star Wars with its expansion should be great, though likely to suffer from the fact that its rides won't be people chewers which will cause them to be just really long waits for 3 minute rides. I also suspect that the Falcon ride will be better for bigger family groups, but I can just imagine someone whipping the ship around willy nilly to try and mess with the others in the ride for the heck of it. Hopefully Hondo will install some 'space sickness' bags.

Movielover

The original Disneyland was essentially nothing but IP's, but it was all about how they were integrated that disguised them.

Adventureland: Disney's True-Life Adventures and Swiss Family Robinson
Frontierland: Davy Crockett miniseries, Tom Sawyer
Fantasyland: Disney Animation
Tomorrowland: 2000 Leagues Under The Sea and more corporate branding than all of Epcot.

Disney has always been about IP incorporation.

rle4lunch

The original Disneyland was essentially nothing but IP's, but it was all about how they were integrated that disguised them.

Adventureland: Disney's True-Life Adventures and Swiss Family Robinson
Frontierland: Davy Crockett miniseries, Tom Sawyer
Fantasyland: Disney Animation
Tomorrowland: 2000 Leagues Under The Sea and more corporate branding than all of Epcot.

Disney has always been about IP incorporation.

Again, I've said this for years too. Get ready for the blowback of stupidity on how new IPs aren't the same as old ones.

Mickey5150

I don't understand the argument against Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot. All we know is that it is a family coaster. The story and setting haven't been told beyond Starlord visiting Epcot as a kid. Why not wait till the ride exists before deciding that it doesn't fit?

Movielover

Get ready for the blowback of stupidity on how new IPs aren't the same as old ones.

Oh yes, I am familiar with that stupidity, but remember "Walt did it so it's not the same thing!!!!!!!!!!"

giphy.gif

Why not wait till the ride exists before deciding that it doesn't fit?

THIS 100%!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Tron is fine in Tomorrowland. Avatar doesn't in any way belong in DAK. I know. I know "conservation" something something. No! It's shallow and an assault to intellectualism and critical thinking. Which is what DAK is really about. It's suppose to be an educational park. Wall.E is more of a statement about conservation than Avatar and it has one animal in it. It doesn't fit in DAK either. I also know you are gonna say that DAK was going to include mythical beasts like dragons. Yes, beasts that have the sociological weight and depth of human histrory behind them. Dragons have been around since at least 5000B.C. in Chinese lore. Avatar is pop culture with slightly more depth than Sharknado. It is a pretty land and a great ride. But it is to education what Cola-Cola is to nutrition.

Sorry, man. But I just completely disagree with you. And that's all I'm going to say. No sense in proving a point on a theme park forum where people are so dead-set in their thinking that any other opinion is just a wrong fact instead of an opinion.

beachlover4444

Original Poster
Lol, yep its you. ( kidding). You want a separate PARK for IP stuff? Can't imagine the cost of that.
I think avatar is a great for in AK.
Well we keep hearing how a new park is gonna open so why not put those together there? lol. I guess I am just an old school person where Walt built the parks around his creations, his animation, his ideas. And now they are buying up all these movie brands I guess you would call it and I believe, and this is just my opinion, we are just shoving them wherever they have the square footage to put it. I am not a fan of losing tower of terror to make it guardians of the galaxy and losing bugs land to make it marvel land. I just see the changes being done to the parks and in a few years you will forget they are Disney parks. But that's me. And I love Harry Potter and Disney really missed the boat on it and they could have built a whole HP park on it's own at WDW and it would have been enormous. I grew up going to King Island and Cedar Point in Ohio and Kennywood in Pittsburgh every summer so I know what a thrill ride seeking amusement park is all about and I'm not against thrill rides even though I cant enjoy them anymore.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Technically every single attraction is an IP. There is just this strange distinction among fans about what is an IP and its usually stuff that they don't think is 'Disney'.
For me, personally... I classify the following as non-IP: Impressions de France, Living with the Land, Journey into Your Imagination with Figment, O' Canada, The American Adventure, Soarin', Mission: Space, Innoventions, Mount Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinoland USA, Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribean (pre-jack), Jungle Cruise, TTA PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress, Astro Orbiter, Tomorrowland Speedway, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain... A few others. Those are non-IP to me.

This is also just an opinion!

eliza61nyc

Well we keep hearing how a new park is gonna open so why not put those together there? lol. I guess I am just an old school person where Walt built the parks around his creations, his animation, his ideas. And now they are buying up all these movie brands I guess you would call it and I believe, and this is just my opinion, we are just shoving them wherever they have the square footage to put it. I am not a fan of losing tower of terror to make it guardians of the galaxy and losing bugs land to make it marvel land. I just see the changes being done to the parks and in a few years you will forget they are Disney parks. But that's me. And I love Harry Potter and Disney really missed the boat on it and they could have built a whole HP park on it's own at WDW and it would have been enormous. I grew up going to King Island and Cedar Point in Ohio and Kennywood in Pittsburgh every summer so I know what a thrill ride seeking amusement park is all about and I'm not against thrill rides even though I cant enjoy them anymore.

Hey I spent quite a few summers at kennywood also. I was a student at Pitt and ended up staying for a while. small world.

Anyhoo, I had not heard that another park was even being discussed so if that were the case it wouldn't be a bad thing to move the ip stuff folks here hate to a new "park" but even if that was on the drawing board I think it's a long way out.

first let me say I didn't start going to wdw until 2000 (except for one disastrous trip my family took in the late 70's that made us never want to go back) so I'm very much in the minority here. I don't get the fascination with what "walt" wanted. I do wonder what's going to happen as more and more of the "purist" for lack of a better description get older and older. my young adults couldn't pick Walt disney out of a line up if there were only 2 people and they definitely don't think the old stuff is so great. So I don't know if going into the future, if the majority of guest will really care about the "theme" of any park was. (this is just speculation on my part)
Disney I think will keep it's core identity but the reality is for children now, so much of their entertainment is super heroes and wizards. I never liked rollercoasters so even some of Disney's most "beloved" rides aren't my type space and splash are not rides I go on. but I do hate old, stale and tired. TGMR was old and tired. could they have updated it instead of getting rid of it all together? probably, but I'm glad it's gone. same with Ellens energy ride. I don't know if remodeling is more expensive than building new and I don't know what all goes into imagineering except for the discussions/complaints from many old timers here.
I do think though if disney had grabbed HP we would still have had the same complaints about it being IP. where would you stick that?
I just don't think they would have built a new park to accommodate it. it would have gone in either Epcot, which really would have had folks having a freaky deaky meltdown or in HS.

beachlover4444

Original Poster
Hey I spent quite a few summers at kennywood also. I was a student at Pitt and ended up staying for a while. small world.

Anyhoo, I had not heard that another park was even being discussed so if that were the case it wouldn't be a bad thing to move the ip stuff folks here hate to a new "park" but even if that was on the drawing board I think it's a long way out.

first let me say I didn't start going to wdw until 2000 (except for one disastrous trip my family took in the late 70's that made us never want to go back) so I'm very much in the minority here. I don't get the fascination with what "walt" wanted. I do wonder what's going to happen as more and more of the "purist" for lack of a better description get older and older. my young adults couldn't pick Walt disney out of a line up if there were only 2 people and they definitely don't think the old stuff is so great. So I don't know if going into the future, if the majority of guest will really care about the "theme" of any park was. (this is just speculation on my part)
Disney I think will keep it's core identity but the reality is for children now, so much of their entertainment is super heroes and wizards. I never liked rollercoasters so even some of Disney's most "beloved" rides aren't my type space and splash are not rides I go on. but I do hate old, stale and tired. TGMR was old and tired. could they have updated it instead of getting rid of it all together? probably, but I'm glad it's gone. same with Ellens energy ride. I don't know if remodeling is more expensive than building new and I don't know what all goes into imagineering except for the discussions/complaints from many old timers here.
I do think though if disney had grabbed HP we would still have had the same complaints about it being IP. where would you stick that?
I just don't think they would have built a new park to accommodate it. it would have gone in either Epcot, which really would have had folks having a freaky deaky meltdown or in HS.
Kennywood is a treasure right. I am 58, my girls are mid 30's (started going to WDW when they were 5 and 7) and now my grandkids are 3 and 5 (been going to the parks since birth). Both those kids know Walt his story, his wifes name and daughters names. We have been Disney true blue fans, own just about every Disney game that's ever come out. So yes that is why I am so sentimental about the parks and even though I love the Star Wars movies, I am just beyond super hero movies at this point.

graphite1326

Is it just me or wouldn't it have made so much sense for these to have been given their own theme park. Ideally they should have all gone into Hollywood Studios since that park was supposed to be about the movies, movie magic, making of movies, etc. It's lost it's identity and is now a hodge podge and they are doing the same to Epcot (what exactly does Guardians have to do with the experimental prototype community of tomorrow?). I dont know it just seems like they are throwing rides here and there wherever they can find space and not where it makes sense to actually be.
Exactly.

Fable McCloud

It's fine that they fit a few IPs into the various Parks, but there's enough from Marvel alone to warrant one new park. It would help break up congestion in the other 4 parks and while the bigwigs talk about "attendance going down" we all know it would help. I know it's wishful thinking and that based on how fast anything actually gets done down there, it would probably be like 2030, but man I can dream.

Damon7777

Harry Potter and His Mountains of Money beg to differ with you.

Not so fast with your narrow quip...........you grabbed low hanging rotten fruit

Looks like you and some other "likers" behind you completely missed the point of what you were attempting to reply to

Best to address opportunity cost first

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom