Avatar: The Way of the Water... what did you think? (No spoilers)

Wendy Pleakley

Are people really still doing the thing where a violent movie or video game is blamed for real life gun violence?

Despite the fact that this movie plays worldwide and gun violence is most strongly associated with one country in particular.

Stupido

I really didn't like it.

Visually, I've never seen anything like it.

Narratively, the pacing was all over the place, and you can tell which plot lines were cut to because the movie was already too long. It never fully came together for me.

Plus there were some severely tone deaf cultural decisions made that didn't jive with me.

6/10 for me, and it's only that high for those ground breaking visuals.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
James Cameron has already filmed the third and the first act of the 4th film. Avatar 5 is the one that hasn't had anything filmed.

The actual filming of these movies is a small part of the budget, most of it spent in post production. It wouldn't be shocking for 3 not to get completed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
“IF” there’s a third?? There are at least three more films planned already. Hopefully they are not all over three hours long.
I've heard that Avatar 3 is happening no matter what. However, subsequent films will depend on how well the second one does. If Avatar 2 doesn't do quite as well as they want it to, there is already a plan to wrap up the story in Avatar 3.

Wendy Pleakley

AEfx

I've heard that Avatar 3 is happening no matter what. However, subsequent films will depend on how well the second one does. If Avatar 2 doesn't do quite as well as they want it to, there is already a plan to wrap up the story in Avatar 3.

This - and given the lukewarm-at-best reception, I'm thinking that is likely what is going to happen.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
This - and given the lukewarm-at-best reception, I'm thinking that is likely what is going to happen.

I feel like Cameron knew this and it's why he's pushing for the studios to approve doing the VFX on all 9 hours of the initial cut of Avatar 3... he has the mentality of "if they aren't going to make Avatar 4 and 5, maybe I can make a three hours Avatar 3 and force the studios into cutting it into three films... Avatar 3A, 3B, and 3C)." If not, that's going to be one heck of an "extended version" when it releases for home release...

Mmoore29

Lukewarm at best? That's so patently dishonest. Because the North American receipts missed estimates by a measly $1 million, a measly million, that's enough to call it "tepid" and slam the stock?

You can tell these people are being purposefully dishonest about everything, because they want to slam the company down, and force into these harebrained and stupid ideas like spinning off ABC and ESPN, or God forbid, sell the Fox assets. It doesn't make sense, none of it does, especially when Disney's current debt load is half of what they took on when they bought ABC back in 1996.

These people are deliberately cheering on the movie to fail and are trying to rig the game. Because they're jealous and angry they couldn't succeed at that with either the first movie or Titanic.

DKampy

Huh… lukewarm at best… with an A cinema score and a 94% audience Score…what does a good reception look like to you… as far as I can tell it had great word of mouth

Oh and a 3rd will happen as it will cross the 1 billion mark in the next week and a 1/2 or less

Wendy Pleakley

Remember, "no one liked" the original Avatar either. It was a rousing success that drew in a wide demographic including repeat viewers, but "no one liked it".

Reaction to this one has been positive overall. Common issues are not liking the high frame rate presentation and the same so-so level of story as the first. But people with those issues still love the movie for what it does right.

I've sat through two hour movies that felt like a chore, that I just wanted to be over. That didn't happen here. It's consistently entertaining for all of its' 3-hour run time, even if there were things I wish it had done better.

AEfx

I feel like Cameron knew this and it's why he's pushing for the studios to approve doing the VFX on all 9 hours of the initial cut of Avatar 3... he has the mentality of "if they aren't going to make Avatar 4 and 5, maybe I can make a three hours Avatar 3 and force the studios into cutting it into three films... Avatar 3A, 3B, and 3C)." If not, that's going to be one heck of an "extended version" when it releases for home release...

Yes, I have serious doubts that we will now see 4 and 5. 3 is a given, it just remains to be seen what it ends up being.

I mean, this is the sequel to the most financially successful movie of all time...and it managed to open tying for 5th best opening...of this year. When you factor in the ticket prices for this were averaging close to twenty bucks each, there just were not the huge amounts of people interested in this that they were hoping. The only reason it did as well as it did, besides those ticket prices, is that as they are under Disney now, they were able to clear the calendar of any competition.

If this had opened as a Fox picture and Disney had a Marvel film in the cinemas, it would have been a far worse story. Disney buying Fox was a gift to this film.

Since it is pretty much the only major film in theaters right now, and for the next month or so, and those huge ticket prices, it will continue to make money, but at this point - anyone expecting anywhere near the repeat of the legs the first film will be disappointed. The elevated ticket prices may actually going to whomp them in the end from that - as the original film relied heavily on repeat business and drawing in more casual movie goers to see the "big 3D revolution", both of which are discouraged by the nearly $20/head average ticket price, and of course - digital 3D is no longer the new "big wow!" that it was in 2009.

Wendy Pleakley

People forget that James Cameron movies historically have long legs.

This is a 3+ hour movie. That cuts into the number of showings AND people's willingness to see late shows. My local theater is pretty much sold out tonight for early shows but not for showings that get out at 2:00 am.

This was never going to open the way a Star Wars or Avengers movie would. From the reduced choices of good viewing times, from a desire to see it in the best possible theater, from a lack of rush to avoid spoilers that other franchises are known for, there are many reasons not to discount the film's performance yet.

Time will tell but judging the success of a James Cameron movie based solely on the opening weekend is just a bad choice, given his history.

1671561142743.png

1671561187438.png

Mmoore29

People forget that James Cameron movies historically have long legs.

This is a 3+ hour movie. That cuts into the number of showings AND people's willingness to see late shows. My local theater is pretty much sold out tonight for early shows but not for showings that get out at 2:00 am.

This was never going to open the way a Star Wars or Avengers movie would. From the reduced choices of good viewing times, from a desire to see it in the best possible theater, from a lack of rush to avoid spoilers that other franchises are known for, there are many reasons not to discount the film's performance yet.

Time will tell but judging the success of a James Cameron movie based solely on the opening weekend is just a bad choice, given his history.

View attachment 686659

View attachment 686660
This movie is definitely going to grow. Disney's stock will rise past the $100 a share mark again very shortly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Lukewarm at best? That's so patently dishonest. Because the North American receipts missed estimates by a measly $1 million, a measly million, that's enough to call it "tepid" and slam the stock?

It got 78% fresh with the critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but if you actually read the fresh reviews a lot of them are very luke warm on it. Sort of the problem with a binary system of ratings.

yensidtlaw1969

You can tell these people are being purposefully dishonest about everything, because they want to slam the company down, and force into these harebrained and stupid ideas like spinning off ABC and ESPN, or God forbid, sell the Fox assets. It doesn't make sense, none of it does, especially when Disney's current debt load is half of what they took on when they bought ABC back in 1996.

These people are deliberately cheering on the movie to fail and are trying to rig the game. Because they're jealous and angry they couldn't succeed at that with either the first movie or Titanic.
Welcome to the boards, Mr. Cameron!

DKampy

People must not taken into account that people want to see this on the best screen possible… they selling out for the most part while regular screens are not… if 3d Dolby or IMAX are not available people are choosing to wait… people are buying tickets in advance for the next 2 weeks which is unheard of… this will not play like a Marvel movie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom