Avatar: The Way of the Water... what did you think? (No spoilers)

Wendy Pleakley

Are you aware that for most people, most movies are?

You admitting that the story and characters are the weakest elements is exactly why the film is not getting the great word of mouth the first one did and why it's longevity will not be as good. The spectacle is not the same the second time around and this time offers less.

You're missing my point in that this movie is an experience that warrants a trip to the theater more so than most films.

Comparing it to Avengers: Endgame for example. Yes, I expect some spectacle as part of the experience but I'm also there to see how the story plays out and appreciate the specific characters and actors.

Like most movies, I certainly don't need to see the version with 3D added in post production, which I see as adding to my ticket price unnecessarily.

Avatar on the other hand was filmed in 3D. It's meant to be seen that way and absolutely should be. The high frame rate offers something you don't see in theaters often (only the Hobbit used it to my knowledge). I'm going to be more selective about where I see it, whereas other movies I'm not as picky.

Weakness in story/character didn't hurt the first one. Would I like it to be better? Sure, but the movie still kept me highly entertained for the entire three hours, and this is coming from someone with zero attention span.

Disney Analyst

Yes and despite any shortcomings WoW is a fun and unique time at the movies, and the overall reaction seems to agree.

I’ve also seen the film. I thought it was incredible.

I only saw the first one on a plane, last year… for the first time. I wasn’t going to miss seeing this one in theatres this time.

AVX, 3D, HFR, Dolby sound. Was glorious. The 3 hours sped by, and I enjoyed the story and themes presented. There was more character development this time around I felt, and the world itself is just stunning.

First movie in a long time I’m itching to go and see again. Will book a second visit once back in the lower mainland.

Any recommendations for a different format we should view in?

Phroobar

Kind of like riding Flight of Passage for three hours. Disneyland really should put in a limited time 20 minute cut of the movie showing in the old Captain EO theater. Imagine watching it with a motion floor. Best of all, it would actually fit in Tomorrowland and cost them next to nothing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I remember going with a buddy to see The Empire Strikes Back opening night in Westwood. We were lined up down the street on Wilshire Blvd. It was fun. We would send our parents for food that we ate on the sidewalk. There were people selling buttons and posters. The theater was one large theater that would have been the size of six regular theaters combined today.

I remember there was one crazy guy that camped out for months just to see the trailer. He went in, saw the trailer and left. He then formed the line for the first showing months later.

Those days are long gone.
I know I know, get off your lawn.... I'm an adult of a certain age group and remember all that took place also.

Yes the days of camping out in front of the theater is gone, not sure why you're really nostalgia for it as it didn't make any good movie going experience in my book. To me not having to camp out, well that is actually an improvement to the movie going experience. I no longer have to wait 4 hours in the cold rain to see a film. I just book online 4 hours ahead of time (or days ahead of time if really popular) to get the seats I want. And so I'm waiting in my nice comfortable house until show time.

But like I said you can still get that experience if you wish. Just show up like 6 hours, but make sure its only during a rain or snow storm, before your showing with a lawn chair and sit out in front of the theater and wait for your show time. And then when your show time arrives run to the theater and get to your seats. But don't forget to have one person stay and everyone else in your party go the snack bar, because of course you couldn't risk losing seats by going before you get into the theater. And as we know the leaving your jacket over the seats trick really doesn't work, people move them and take your seats anyways.

Wendy Pleakley

I’ve also seen the film. I thought it was incredible.

I only saw the first one on a plane, last year… for the first time. I wasn’t going to miss seeing this one in theatres this time.

AVX, 3D, HFR, Dolby sound. Was glorious. The 3 hours sped by, and I enjoyed the story and themes presented. There was more character development this time around I felt, and the world itself is just stunning.

First movie in a long time I’m itching to go and see again. Will book a second visit once back in the lower mainland.

Any recommendations for a different format we should view in?

Hmm, you're not going to get much better than AVX for screen size. IMAX offers a crystal clear picture but in my recent experience is too loud.

Did you like the HFR? If I went again I'd try for a non-HFR 3D showing but that's just me.

The Laser Ultra 3D picture at Landmark was fantastic I will say. I went for comfort versus the biggest screen. I tried their premiere seating for the first time and it's nice. You get a coat rack, table for snacks, and a barrier so you don't see your neighbours which makes it a bit more immersive.

1671830227158.png

Then there's the new 4DX theater offering “a multi-sensory cinematic experience incorporating on-screen visuals with synchronized motion seats as well as environmental effects such as water, wind, fog, scent, snow and more, to enhance the action on screen.”.

Sounds like overkill for me for a 3-hour movie though.

Wendy Pleakley

I know I know, get off your lawn.... I'm an adult of a certain age group and remember all that took place also.

Yes the days of camping out in front of the theater is gone, not sure why you're really nostalgia for it as it didn't make any good movie going experience in my book. To me not having to camp out, well that is actually an improvement to the movie going experience. I no longer have to wait 4 hours in the cold rain to see a film. I just book online 4 hours ahead of time (or days ahead of time if really popular) to get the seats I want. And so I'm waiting in my nice comfortable house until show time.

But like I said you can still get that experience if you wish. Just show up like 6 hours, but make sure its only during a rain or snow storm, before your showing with a lawn chair and sit out in front of the theater and wait for your show time. And then when your show time arrives run to the theater and get to your seats. But don't forget to have one person stay and everyone else in your party go the snack bar, because of course you couldn't risk losing seats by going before you get into the theater. And as we know the leaving your jacket over the seats trick really doesn't work, people move them and take your seats anyways.

Yeah, to see a movie on opening weekend with decent seats meant a 2-hour wait before the movie started. Then add in all of the trailers and commercials, and it's a 5+ hour ordeal.

There was a social aspect to it, be it hanging out with friends or the energy of something like Star Wars, but I would never go back to those days if given the choice.

Disney Analyst

Hmm, you're not going to get much better than AVX for screen size. IMAX offers a crystal clear picture but in my recent experience is too loud.

Did you like the HFR? If I went again I'd try for a non-HFR 3D showing but that's just me.

The Laser Ultra 3D picture at Landmark was fantastic I will say. I went for comfort versus the biggest screen. I tried their premiere seating for the first time and it's nice. You get a coat rack, table for snacks, and a barrier so you don't see your neighbours which makes it a bit more immersive.

View attachment 687294

Then there's the new 4DX theater offering “a multi-sensory cinematic experience incorporating on-screen visuals with synchronized motion seats as well as environmental effects such as water, wind, fog, scent, snow and more, to enhance the action on screen.”.

Sounds like overkill for me for a 3-hour movie though.

The HFR was certainly interesting. Some shots a bit… jarring.

Never done Laser Ultra (that I’m aware of). We love the VIP cinema at Brentwood.

Phroobar

I think camping out made it special. I guess it was part of being a kid back then. After the movie, heading over to the pizza place and then the arcade for a few hours. Good times.

iu

West World arcade with the Mann Fox theater right behind in Westwood village in west L.A.

Today, my body prefers to buy the tickets online and loves assigned seating. I can play Atari on my phone before the previews start.

Prince-1

Yeah, to see a movie on opening weekend with decent seats meant a 2-hour wait before the movie started. Then add in all of the trailers and commercials, and it's a 5+ hour ordeal.

There was a social aspect to it, be it hanging out with friends or the energy of something like Star Wars, but I would never go back to those days if given the choice.

I definitely waited for movies as you described but being able to reserve my seat and get to the theater 10 minutes before my movie starts is something I would never want to give up.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I saw it in Dolby Cinema 3D and it looked and sounded amazing. Sound was crisp but not ear shattering like IMAX. 3D didn’t bother my eyes but those Dolby Glasses started getting uncomfortable on the ears. I was about a row back from dead center of the theatre to get the best surround sound possible. Since this theatre (AMC) opened in June I haven’t seen a movie anywhere else. They have the reclining seats of course but the real kicker is that every row of seats is basically a balcony with a wall behind you. Great movie going experience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think camping out made it special. I guess it was part of being a kid back then. After the movie, heading over to the pizza place and then the arcade for a few hours. Good times.

iu

West World arcade with the Mann Fox theater right behind in Westwood village in west L.A.

Today, my body prefers to buy the tickets online and loves assigned seating. I can play Atari on my phone before the previews start.
I get it, but I don't have the same nostalgia filled goggles about it that you seem to, it was always a pain in the rear for me. I'm happy that isn't happening anymore.

Ghost93

I get it, but I don't have the same nostalgia filled goggles about it that you seem to, it was always a pain in the rear for me. I'm happy that isn't happening anymore.
I love being able to pick out the perfect seat several weeks in advance instead of having to deal with the uncertainty of paying for tickets and having no idea where I'll end up in the theater. Sometimes even if I got to a movie a couple hours before it started I ended up in a bad spot.

Ghost93

We all got to hate something around here.
Spider seems to be the most divisive character, with people either loving or hating him.

I like the idea of Spider, but felt the film didn't devote enough time in the beginning to exploring how he felt living among the Na'vi. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his scenes were cut to keep the already long film from being much longer. And while Jack Champion did a fine job in the role, I also think he was easily the weakest of the child actors. Britain Dalton, who plays Lo'ak, was probably the best of the young cast.

Wendy Pleakley

I didn't care one war or the other about Spider or any character really. When characters were in peril or worse my reaction was just kind of "meh, who was that again?".

I may be exaggerating a little. The story and characters were fine, just not super memorable and not very important to why I enjoy these movies.

Which is a shame. These movies are so entertaining that if they delivered in those areas a bit better Avatar could be a beloved franchise on par with Star Wars. As is, it's a fun ride but I wouldn't have any interest in reading a tie-in novel for example.

Phroobar

James Cameron has the same problem that Lucas has. Too much money and no one to say no. He had 13 years to come up with a more fleshed out story and all we get is an hour of eye candy, an hour WB teen show and an hour of people running up and down a sinking ship. Granted it was fun and colorful but so is candy. It's junk food escapism for three hours with no filling meal. At least the father figure tried to do his best to support the family instead of being a buffoon.

Last edited:

celluloid

James Cameron has the same problem that Lucas has. Too much money and no one to say no. He had 13 years to come up with a more fleshed out story and all we get is an hour or eye candy, an hour WB teen show and an hour of people running up and down a sinking ship. Granted it was fun and colorful but so is candy. It's junk food escapism for three hours with no filling meal. At least the father figure tried to do his best to support the family instead of being a buffoon.

No character really changed from the start and no one by the end felt like anyone rooting for. In nearly three and a half hours.

But hey, we got a pg-13 F Bomb one time use in there. So odd.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom