Avatar: The Way of the Water... what did you think? (No spoilers)

DfromATX

Original Poster
It is always interesting to read people's comments, and to tactfully notice slants and trolling.

The 1st Avatar was the highest grossing film in the history of movies until the Marvel world exploded. And after an opening weekend of over $130M, "The Way of Water" is well on its way.

As a few folks correctly noted, at three hour and a half hours long, theaters aren't able to roll as many viewings as they would normally do without committing it to even more screens in the building. Four or five showings a day, per screen, per theater adds up to a LOT of Opening Weekend money it missed with this length.

This movie is incredible. Visually, it has no equal. Not even the original. The high definition detail was mesmerizing.

Too violent? Well, that would be a point of contention for me. The whole concept of 1st, being strong enough to live off the land and not have a Whole Foods to buy your groceries is VIOLENT, and 2nd, having a foreign invader pillage your land is VIOLENT. Have you had an conversations with the Elders of your local Indian Tribes?

I'm assuming you are looking at this movie through the lens of your Mikey glasses. If you still sing, "Good Morning" songs to your teenagers and send them off to school with kisses and little surprises in their lunch boxes, then, yeah, this movie is probably too violent for your family. My wife and three teenagers had no problem with it.

Their only complaint was when someone had to miss part of the movie for bathroom runs, or popcorn & drink refills.

I have spoken to numerous friends and acquaintances who have seen it. Every single one was blown away and loved it. Two had not seen Avatar and were going to watch it as soon as they could to fill in some minor gaps. Outstanding job, James.

9.5 out of 10 (easy 10 out of 10 if Cameron could have landed it in at 2.45)
So are YOU trolling? Cause it sure seems like it by your rude post. I didn't like it. Try not to take it so personal or lose sleep over it.

Ghost93

Within a week Avatar should surpass Thor: Love and Thunder, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Jurassic World: Dominion at the box office. By the end of its theatrical run it may very well surpass Top: Gun Maverick's worldwide box office.

However, because it's the sequel to the highest-grossing movie of all time, I think it has ridiculous expectations. We could end up in a situation where Avatar: The Way of Water is the highest-grossing movie of 2022, and it is still viewed as a financial disappointment due to insane expectations.

At least this movie should put to rest the argument "Nobody cares about Avatar!"

celluloid

By the end of its theatrical run it may very well surpass Top: Gun Maverick's worldwide box office.
Worldwide sure. Slim chance there domestically. After Christmas time that long running 3D based income is going to come to a screeching halt.

This thing was the only major release pre christmas time besides PusnBoots that just premiered today. and completely missed the mark.

It did not even match Multiverse of Madness's 4 day total of over 200 million.

People still care about Avatar, but it is not the phemom it was supposed to continue to be, it already is losing its legs where was the original started strong for an original and kept going.

Nobody is too strong a word, but certainly a lot less than anyone at the studio was hoping. Even the Fourth Jurassic World and near tenth time Thor was a lead in a movie had a bigger opening, and this was a Christmas time release of a follow up to a huge phenomenon.

Last edited:

Ghost93

Worldwide sure. Slim chance there domestically. After Christmas time that long running 3D based income is going to come to a screeching halt.

This thing was the only major release pre christmas time besides PusnBoots that just premiered today. and completely missed the mark.

It did not even match Multiverse of Madness's 4 day total of over 200 million.

People still care about Avatar, but it is not the phemom it was supposed to continue to be, it already is losing its legs where was the original started strong for an original and kept going.

Nobody is strong, but certainly a lot less than anyone at the studio was hoping. Even the Fourth Jurassic World and near tenth time Thor was a lead in a movie had a bigger opening, and this was a Christmas time release of a follow up to a huge phenomenon.
Thor and Jurassic World and Doctor Strange are all part of franchises that have had installments released in the past few years, so they had more dedicated fandoms rushing to the cinemas. Prior to this year, the Avatar franchise had one movie that came out in 2009. Nothing since then. So I imagine many casual audiences only vaguely remembered the first one.

Also, unlike Marvel movies, there isn't as big of a rush to see Avatar opening weekend because the franchise hasn't created a "spoiler culture." You don't have obsessed fans rushing to the opening weekend to avoid spoilers leaking out. Avatar appeals to a more averageviewer who is just there for the vibes and the visuals and a decent, simple story. This may change with future Avatar movies, but "The Way of Water" was always more about reigniting interest in Avatar among casual viewers than it was about pandering to a passionate fanbase. I think the Way of Water will do its job in reestablishing Avatar as part of the broader cultural consciousness.

celluloid

Thor and Jurassic World and Doctor Strange are all part of franchises that have had installments released in the past few years, so they had more dedicated fandoms rushing to the cinemas. Prior to this year, the Avatar franchise had one movie that came out in 2009. Nothing since then. So I imagine many casual audiences only vaguely remembered the first one.
The reason does not change the fact. Those could have received fatigue or oversaturation.

Jurassic park had more than a decade hiatus and still did phenomenally better than the opening of Way of Water. Your point there is moot.

Avatar 2 is still drastically underperforming even by conservative predictions.

This year's bigger movies mentioned came out with competition and in a rougher covid19 climate and still did better than this movie that has had Christmas vacation time to itself. You also need to account the amount of screens it is playing in, so the take in is shared more with its theater run, particularly last week when due to the length it had to play in a lot of theaters. a huge chunk of them in 3D or Imax upgraded price. So attendance is even less than one may think.

Avatar should have at least had the top three opening results of the year. It could have legs, but it is not looking that way already.

Last edited:

Ghost93

The reason does not change the fact. Those could have received fatigue or oversaturation.

Jurassic park had more than a decade hiatus and still did phenomenally better than the opening of Way of Water. Your point there is moot.

Avatar 2 is still drastically underperforming even by conservative predictions.

Those movies mentioned came out with competition and in a rougher covid19 climate and still did better than this movie that has had Christmas vacation time to itself. You also need to account the amount of screens it is playing in, so the take in is shared more with its theater run, particularly last week when due to the length it had to play in a lot of theaters. a huge chunk of them in 3D or Imax upgraded price. So attendance is even less than one may think.

Avatar should have at least had the top three opening results of the year. It could have legs, but it is not looking that way already.
Jurassic World Dominion didn't come after a decade — the franchise had installments in 2015 and 2018. And before that, there were three other installments in the 90s and early 2000s.

I think your dislike of the film is feeding into you looking for the most negative spin possible on the box office.

celluloid

Jurassic World Dominion didn't come after a decade — the franchise had installments in 2015 and 2018. And before that, there were three other installments in the 90s and early 2000s.

I think your dislike of the film is feeding into you looking for the most negative spin possible on the box office.
Notice I did not say Jurassic World Dominion in the post you quote me in. I said Jurassic park had more than a decade of no film installments, Meaning between JP III and Jurassic World, as in the first film of that continuation of Jurassic Park franchise. That is the point. It was over a decade between Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World. There was over a decade of no Jurassic Park films. Jurassic World when it premiered in 2015 did bangers compared to this when you consider inflation, 3D cinema and level of IMAX play this Avatar sequel is getting.

You just proved the same point I was making.

I think you are not reading what I am actually stating.

No one is saying this movie is not making dough. But if you consider it a smash hit you think the studio was expecting. You are mistaken. It will also not get the longevity home video and merchandise that other films do to cushion things either.

Last edited:

Ghost93

Notice I did not say Jurassic World Dominion. I said Jurassic World, as in the first film of that continuation of Jurassic Park franchise. That is the point. It was over a decade between Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World. There was a decade of no Jurassic Park films. Jurassic World when it premiered in 2015 did bangers compared to this when you consider inflation, 3D cinema and level of IMAX play this Avatar sequel is getting.

You just proved the same point I was making.

I think you are not reading what I am actually stating.

No one is saying this movie is not making dough. But if you consider it a smash hit you think the studio was expecting. You are mistaken.
Jurassic Park was still a more established franchise than Avatar. By 2015, there had been three Jurassic Park movies stretching from 1993-2001. While the box office declined for each film, they at least helped cement a "Jurassic Park fandom."

Avatar, before this year, just had one moment in the spotlight from 2009-2010. And much of the hype at the time revolved around how innovative the 3D was an how unique it was to have a fully CGI world. Avatar never had the chance to grow an obsessive fandom because there wasn't much to obsess or speculate over. It was just one movie.

I do not disagree that the numbers for Way of Water will be viewed as a disappointment. I'm just saying that the expectation that The Way of Water would make as much money or more as the highest grossing movie of all time was always kind of absurd.

celluloid

I do not disagree that the numbers for Way of Water will be viewed as a disappointment. I'm just saying that the expectation that The Way of Water would make as much money or more as the highest grossing movie of all time was always kind of absurd.

Well there is the Walt Disney Company leadership the last 20 years in a nutshell for you.

They definitely hoped it would open higher and play better in its first week than Thor: Love and Thunder.

This thing is looking lucky if it surpasses 500 million domestically. Which inflation and screens playing from 2009, is far from just under the mark of the highest grossing film of all time at the time. Disastrously lower than their confidence.

Last edited:

DKampy

It is amazing to me the number of people that want to jump to Avatar flop stance… it is 2009 all over again… look at how well it is doing pre Christmas… traditionally the bigger money is made between Christmas and new years… that plus many people are refusing to go to normal screenings… as wanting to see it on the best screen possible… there are only so many premium screens… people are treating this like an event… like it is an evening at Broadway…planning for it ahead of time

I even notice locally… I have two movie theaters by my house…the nicer one consistently sells out… where as the other showing sit near empty… clearly people are making the choice to see it the best way they can…I myself am not able to see it till Christmas Day as the better theater is full except the closest couple of rows to the front…and even that day is close to sell out

Phroobar

I miss the days of standing in line outside the theater for a show time and the rush for finding a seat. Now theaters show the same movie on multiple screens and have assigned seating. It is never a rush to grab a good seat anymore.

celluloid

It is amazing to me the number of people that want to jump to Avatar flop stance… it is 2009 all over again… look at how well it is doing pre Christmas… traditionally the bigger money is made between Christmas and new years… that plus many people are refusing to go to normal screenings… as wanting to see it on the best screen possible… there are only so many premium screens… people are treating this like an event… like it is an evening at Broadway…planning for it ahead of time

I even notice locally… I have two movie theaters by my house…the nicer one consistently sells out… where as the other showing sit near empty… clearly people are making the choice to see it the best way they can…I myself am not able to see it till Christmas Day as the better theater is full except the closest couple of rows to the front…and even that day is close to sell out
I don't see many people saying it flopped. I see people saying the movie was not very well done and that so far it is certainly.performong below expectations based on box office being lower than the other tentpoles of the year.

Do people often have to take a full day trip to a nice theater or something? Most people even live within a driving distance of an IMAX branded or screen these days. I don't understand your planning argument. There are plenty of.optjons for most of the country's population and they had plenty of time for a day or night at the movies.

What "normal screenings" are people trying to avoid?

Last edited:

DKampy

I don't see many people saying it flopped. I see people saying the movie was not very well done and that so far it is certainly.performong below expectations based on box office being lower than the other tentpoles of the year.

Do people often have to take a full day trip to a nice theater or something? Most people even live within a driving distance of an IMAX branded or screen these days. I don't understand your planning argument. There are plenty of.optjons for most of the country's population and they had plenty of time for a day or night at the movies.

The planning option comes from screenings being full… and yes not everybody lives near an IMAX

Funny you say people don’t care for the movie… we must live in very different circles as it has very strong word of mouth…as well as an A CinemaScore and a 94% audience score… does not sound like people did not care for the movie

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I miss the days of standing in line outside the theater for a show time and the rush for finding a seat. Now theaters show the same movie on multiple screens and have assigned seating. It is never a rush to grab a good seat anymore.
You can still rush to grab your seat if you want to, especially in a crowded theater, you just happen to know where it is ahead of time.

Wendy Pleakley

Are you not aware how previous Cameron movies performed? Titanic was the top movie at the box office for months. The first Avatar set records for things like the highest gross of a movie in it's 7th week (when it earned $31.2 million, an amount a lot of movies would be happy to earn in week 1).

Judging this movie based on one week of release ignores that history. It will likely be at least a few weeks before we know if it has the same legs as the first Avatar and what it's final results are going to look like.

I live within driving distance of TWO Imax screens. No, that's not enough if a lot of people want that specific experience. People may wait a few weeks to see it in that format. There's also choices between 2D, 3D, Laser 3D, and the high frame rate option. Not to mention most late showings are not selling out because they end around 2:00 am.

This is a movie that is primarily an audio visual experience. The story and characters are the weakest elements. If you're going to see this movie, it makes sense to choose your preferred format.

celluloid

This is a movie that is primarily an audio visual experience.
Are you aware that for most people, most movies are?

You admitting that the story and characters are the weakest elements is exactly why the film is not getting the great word of mouth the first one did and why it's longevity will not be as good. The spectacle is not the same the second time around and this time offers less.

Phroobar

You can still rush to grab your seat if you want to, especially in a crowded theater, you just happen to know where it is ahead of time.
I remember going with a buddy to see The Empire Strikes Back opening night in Westwood. We were lined up down the street on Wilshire Blvd. It was fun. We would send our parents for food that we ate on the sidewalk. There were people selling buttons and posters. The theater was one large theater that would have been the size of six regular theaters combined today.

On March 24, 1999 20th Century Fox announced that for the first two weeks of the film’s release, there would be no advanced ticket sales, due to people wanting to buy out whole theaters, inevitable scalping, etc. So, at least a month before May 19th, 1999, fans camped out in front of movie theaters across the country to see the first Star Wars film in 16 years. People organized lines, and many of them raised money for various charities. People from all over showed up to wait in line, and many people made friendships while waiting that still go on today. It was one of the biggest bonding experiences for geeks.

I remember there was one crazy guy that camped out for months just to see the trailer. He went in, saw the trailer and left. He then formed the line for the first showing months later.

Those days are long gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom