Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
"James Cameron’s long-awaited sequel Avatar: The Way of Water has landed a release date in China, Disney and 20th Century confirmed late Tuesday.

The movie will open in the Middle Kingdom on Dec. 16, the same day it hits North American theaters.

The Way of Water is one of the few Hollywood tentpoles to land a release in China since the pandemic began.

Cameron’s Avatar sequel hits the big screen more 13 than years after Avatar made history in becoming the top-grossing film of all time at the global box office, a crown it still wears today with more than $2.92 billion in ticket sales, not adjusted for inflation and including re-releases.

Avatar has been a big hit over the years in China, where it has earned a hefty total of $261.8 million to date (it has been released there several times).

The news of the China release date comes two days after the stunning news that Bob Iger will return to run the Walt Disney Co. as CEO, resulting in the ouster of Bob Chapek. Sources say Iger has been a huge proponent of the Avatar sequel, and Cameron.

Disney inherited the Avatar sequel after Iger engineered a deal to acquire much of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, including the movie studio 20th Century Fox.

The Way of Water‘s production budget is one of the priciest in Hollywood’s history, and is likely in the $350 million to $400 million range, according to outside sources."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"James Cameron’s long-awaited sequel Avatar: The Way of Water has landed a release date in China, Disney and 20th Century confirmed late Tuesday.

The movie will open in the Middle Kingdom on Dec. 16, the same day it hits North American theaters.

The Way of Water is one of the few Hollywood tentpoles to land a release in China since the pandemic began.

Cameron’s Avatar sequel hits the big screen more 13 than years after Avatar made history in becoming the top-grossing film of all time at the global box office, a crown it still wears today with more than $2.92 billion in ticket sales, not adjusted for inflation and including re-releases.

Avatar has been a big hit over the years in China, where it has earned a hefty total of $261.8 million to date (it has been released there several times).

The news of the China release date comes two days after the stunning news that Bob Iger will return to run the Walt Disney Co. as CEO, resulting in the ouster of Bob Chapek. Sources say Iger has been a huge proponent of the Avatar sequel, and Cameron.

Disney inherited the Avatar sequel after Iger engineered a deal to acquire much of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, including the movie studio 20th Century Fox.

The Way of Water‘s production budget is one of the priciest in Hollywood’s history, and is likely in the $350 million to $400 million range, according to outside sources."

Wonder if this was one of Bob's first calls after retaking the Disney throne....

BrianLo

Good, I think the ‘needs to be 3rd for 4th’ proclamation to break even is a little far fetched.

However, I do think they have very strong aspirations for this to be a 2+ billion movie. Will be very unhappy at 1.5 and it will be a disaster if it’s anywhere near or under a billion.

FutureCEO

ood, I think the ‘needs to be 3rd for 4th’ proclamation to break even is a little far fetched.

However, I do think they have very strong aspirations for this to be a 2+ billion movie. Will be very unhappy at 1.5 and it will be a disaster if it’s anywhere near or under a billion.

I get the feeling the movie will be a disaster. Of course, I never saw the original until it came out on TV.

Screamface

Good, I think the ‘needs to be 3rd for 4th’ proclamation to break even is a little far fetched.

It makes sense if you think he's talking box office in the US domestic sense. Around those numbers for a WW gross would be the break even for this kind of thing.

Or he was just talking figuratively. The 2 billion break even is click bait silliness. That would mean something like the film costing around $1 billion which is absurd.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Or he was just talking figuratively. The 2 billion break even is click bait silliness. That would mean something like the film costing 800 million which is absurd.
I wonder if he's including the cost of Avatar 2 & 3 which was supposedly made together.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
@wdwmagic have you heard of any cross promotion being done in the parks?

I mean we had a Tron monorail that ran for almost a decade (I kid). I'm shocked that nothing is planned?

DKampy

I think that will make sense. That would make Avatar 2 a pretty big bomb. It would be like making a new Star Wars movie twenty years later and no one showing up for it.
You know what also opened with a smaller box office the Wakanda Forever…Top Gun Maverick….heck it even opened smaller than Thor Love and Thunder…this will not play like a big tent pole franchise like marvel or Star Wars

sedati

I'm getting flashbacks to all the assurances on this forum that Frozen 2 would flop and flp hard. How'd that go? And Pandora at Animal Kingdom ought to be a ghost town because it was with equally fervent fervor that we were told that would be a disaster. It's almost like some are just rooting for failure. Which is fine... I mean, this is a DC fan board right?

Phroobar

I'm getting flashbacks to all the assurances on this forum that Frozen 2 would flop and flp hard. How'd that go? And Pandora at Animal Kingdom ought to be a ghost town because it was with equally fervent fervor that we were told that would be a disaster. It's almost like some are just rooting for failure. Which is fine... I mean, this is a DC fan board right?
People in Florida will ride anything. What else are you going to do at Animal Kingdom? Walk the tiger trail or see the broken Yeti?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom