Avatar (the movie) and its Sequels

gerarar

Premium Member
I saw the movie last night in 4DX. It's been about a decade since I last saw the movie, so I didn't really remember much. But watching it again, I found a whole new appreciation for it. It was like a whole new experience for me, and also for my family that watched it with me. Seeing what the RDA does in the movie makes you like understand the whole message that the FoP preshows conveys even more.

It was fun seeing all the different things that showed up in the Avatar land and FoP in AK. The floating mountains, the ikrans/banshees, "Sivako", the Toruk, etc. My mom especially kept nudging me when the references came up, which I loved. That's how you do an IP land right, imo.

As for the 4DX experience itself, it was very cool. First time booking it, so didn't know what to expect. When they're flying on the banshee, it really does kinda feel like the FoP ride. There's water mist/spray, wind and fans, and of course slight drops and swaying as the seats move. Then when the characters are walking through the forest, there's actually things "slapping" your feet as if you're actually there. Falling on a branch, there's a block that pops out in your seat. Thought it would get annoying after an hour, but the whole 4DX experience was nicely integrated througbout. Apparently Avatar is one of the best movies to experience it in this format.

Anyways, the whole fam and I are now definitely looking forward to the sequel in December, and we just may see that in 4DX. Like the previous poster said, it's like you're being transported to a whole new world, which is awfully similar to the feeling like when you're at WDW.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Most of the first act of “Avatar 4” has been completed and most of the film has been designed, producer Jon Landau revealed at a press conference during the Busan International Film Festival on Thursday.

“We’ve completed most of the first act of ‘Avatar 4’ and there were logistical reasons why we needed to do that,” Landau said in response to a question from Variety. “We’ve designed most of the whole movie for ‘Avatar 4’ but we haven’t actually filmed all of it – just the first act.”

Landau addressed the media after showcasing 15 minutes of footage from “Avatar: The Way of Water” at a sold-out event at the festival, during which he talked up the cutting-edge technology used in the film. Director James Cameron appeared via video link at the event and discussed the film’s underlying ecological message and also talked about the film’s high-frame rate projection.

Later, Landau told the media: “We could not have delivered what people saw today, five years ago, eight years ago, nine years ago. We needed the time to take it to the level that we’re able to deliver to people today.”

Landau also revealed that each sequel would introduce a new culture, while retaining the cultures introduced in the previous films. “With each sequel, we’re going to introduce audiences to new cultures and new biomes. We don’t leave behind the cultures that we’ve met,” Landau said."

Phroobar

So what happens if Avatar 2 tanks at the box office? I guess we still get two more movies released directly to Disney+ and DVD.

"discussed the film’s underlying ecological message " - does that mean we get preached at for three hours but offers no way for a regular person to help fix the environment? Three movies of that is going to get old really fast.

Ghost93

"discussed the film’s underlying ecological message " - does that mean we get preached at for three hours but offers no way for a regular person to help fix the environment? Three movies of that is going to get old really fast.
You can save the environment by booking a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom and visiting Pandora: The World of Avatar! Be sure to buy a lot of merch while you are at it!

Phroobar

There is no way 2 is going to tank… possibly 3 will if 2 turns out awfull… but for now I will give James Cameron benefit of the doubt he has never made a bad movie… and usually they are great
Theatrically it might just because people still haven't returned to the theaters. I plan to see it in the theater. However, there is no possible way it will surpass Avatar's lifetime gross of $783,991,510.

MickeyMouse10

I love how James Cameron works, he's a perfectionist. He doesn't care how long something takes to complete and makes it the best he can. There's not many people in Hollywood that takes their craft so seriously.

He won't settle for anything less than Awesome, His track record speaks for itself.

Last edited:

DKampy

Theatrically it might just because people still haven't returned to the theaters. I plan to see it in the theater. However, there is no possible way it will surpass Avatar's lifetime gross of $783,991,510.
No it won't theatrically...this summer showed people still go to the theaters if their is something they want to see...we even surpassed some weekends which fell on the same weekend in 2019 this year...the thing is studios have not sent as many films to the theaters as previous years so the theaters were not able to make as much money as pre-pandemic. It does not have to out gross the original to be consider a success.

Just look at the rerelease of the original...it has made 72 million and counting...for a 13 year old movie...that has got to be the biggest success story ever for a rerelease.

Plus I learned to never doubt James Cameron

Phroobar

No it won't theatrically...this summer showed people still go to the theaters if their is something they want to see...we even surpassed some weekends which fell on the same weekend in 2019 this year...the thing is studios have not sent as many films to the theaters as previous years so the theaters were not able to make as much money as pre-pandemic. It does not have to out gross the original to be consider a success.

Just look at the rerelease of the original...it has made 72 million and counting...for a 13 year old movie...that has got to be the biggest success story ever for a rerelease.

Plus I learned to never doubt James Cameron
For most movies, it doesn't have to outgross the original to be considered a success. However there are movies such as the Star Wars movies that have a certain outrageously high number they have to hit to be considered a success. I believe that number is also really high for Avatar. It is going to have to do Top Gun: Maverick or Spiderman: No Way Home numbers (700-800 million to be successful). In both cases there was something exciting about seeing those on the big screen. Avatar 2 looks like more of the same from 2009. There isn't a lot to get excited about so far.

Now granted, Avatar was one of the highest grossing bad movie of all time. It is such a wild card that we really don't know what it is about or what will make it stand out like the original did (pretty 3D graphics). I just think it is going to have a tough time breaking the 700 million mark.

Besides the Star Wars ANH special edition back in 1997 made 255 million (adjusted for inflation) for a 20 year old movie.

DKampy

For most movies, it doesn't have to outgross the original to be considered a success. However there are movies such as the Star Wars movies that have a certain outrageously high number they have to hit to be considered a success. I believe that number is also really high for Avatar. It is going to have to do Top Gun: Maverick or Spiderman: No Way Home numbers (700-800 million to be successful). In both cases there was something exciting about seeing those on the big screen. Avatar 2 looks like more of the same from 2009. There isn't a lot to get excited about so far.

Now granted, Avatar was one of the highest grossing bad movie of all time. It is such a wild card that we really don't know what it is about or what will make it stand out like the original did (pretty 3D graphics). I just think it is going to have a tough time breaking the 700 million mark.

Besides the Star Wars ANH special edition back in 1997 made 255 million (adjusted for inflation) for a 20 year old movie.
In your opinion it is a bad movie...in mine it is a good movie...the best of that year no...but I believe it is better than given credit by some...and more people liked it then the internet wants to believe...peoples biggest complaint is it borrowed from other movies such as Dances with Wolves and Fern Gully...you know what also borrowed from other works Star Wars: A New Hope....that does not make the original Star Wars any less of a classic. I have talked to a couple of people who went to see the new Rerelease and said they were more amazed then they remember...and are now looking forward to the sequel.

Plus Avatar was one of those rare movies that got people who never go to the movies to get out and gave them a sense of wonder. There were reports of people being depressed leaving the theater because they wanted to stay in Pandora...plus this is one of those rare cases no matter how good your home theater is...it is not going to compare to going to an actual movie theater.

And no it does not have to make as much as the original to be consider a success...anything above 1.5 billion will be a major blockbuster...and I think it will go past that

Now as far as the next sequels go...I can't say until we we see what happens with the way of Water...but this one will be a hit

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

My approach to the movie isn't the Joe Rhodes Space Hippieland and the unrealistic view of an ineffective military beaten by "nature", but rather not solving a problem effectively. The natives and animals have exposed nerve sheaths. It would be quite simple to exploit that to overcome them.

Phroobar

In your opinion it is a bad movie...in mine it is a good movie...the best of that year no...but I believe it is better than given credit by some...and more people liked it then the internet wants to believe...peoples biggest complaint is it borrowed from other movies such as Dances with Wolves and Fern Gully...you know what also borrowed from other works Star Wars: A New Hope....that does not make the original Star Wars any less of a classic. I have talked to a couple of people who went to see the new Rerelease and said they were more amazed then they remember...and are now looking forward to the sequel.

Plus Avatar was one of those rare movies that got people who never go to the movies to get out and gave them a sense of wonder. There were reports of people being depressed leaving the theater because they wanted to stay in Pandora...plus this is one of those rare cases no matter how good your home theater is...it is not going to compare to going to an actual movie theater.

And no it does not have to make as much as the original to be consider a success...anything above 1.5 billion will be a major blockbuster...and I think it will go past that

Now as far as the next sequels go...I can't say until we we see what happens with the way of Water...but this one will be a hit
Anyone that got depressed after leaving the theater because they wanted to stay in Pandora had mental issues to begin with. It was an exaggeration. I still say if it doesn't make comparable money to the original it will be considered a failure. Top Gun and Spiderman did it recently.

Just like with Titanic, the writing was bad. The characters development was superficial, the villain was one dimensional and the story took from better done recent movies. The reason it did well was 3D CG was new. That fade quickly disappeared in a couple of years after everything was in 3D. Even TVs had 3D built in. Now you almost never see that option in a new TV. There is no Avatar following like Harry Potter or Star Trek. It was a movie that got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. No matter how much money it made, it was still a bad movie.

DKampy

Anyone that got depressed after leaving the theater because they wanted to stay in Pandora had mental issues to begin with. It was an exaggeration. I still say if it doesn't make comparable money to the original it will be considered a failure. Top Gun and Spiderman did it recently.

Just like with Titanic, the writing was bad. The characters development was superficial, the villain was one dimensional and the story took from better done recent movies. The reason it did well was 3D CG was new. That fade quickly disappeared in a couple of years after everything was in 3D. Even TVs had 3D built in. Now you almost never see that option in a new TV. There is no Avatar following like Harry Potter or Star Trek. It was a movie that got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. No matter how much money it made, it was still a bad movie.
Except the only reason 3D was a trend at all was because of Avatar…nothing could live up the it…in fact it was mostly awful…I know I was avoiding any screening of films in 3D…but when I see Avatar in December I will search for 3D in IMAX…I am sure others will too…which will only help ticket sales.

Then there is people like my parents who never see any movie ever, but they saw the last Avatar and are excited to see the next installment…people are underestimating how much of the general population will check it out…not just your cinephiles.

Avatar was more about the world building than anything…and this one will be showcasing the world in the oceans…where as the last one was world building within the forests.

Screamface

Except the only reason 3D was a trend at all was because of Avatar…nothing could live up the it…in fact it was mostly awful…I know I was avoiding any screening of films in 3D…but when I see Avatar in December I will search for 3D in IMAX…I am sure others will too…which will only help ticket sales.

Hollywood stuffed up the 3D movie market by being greedy and lazy. The trend of post converting every film from 2D to lackluster 3D ruined the medium. Made it a pointless gimmick, because that's how it was used in most cases.

When the vast majority of 3D is a cheated 3D and not great. People decided 3D wasn't worth the extra bucks. Most people probably didn't know what technique was used on a film. They just realised there was knowing wow about fake 3D.

If 3D was a tool that was properly used when the film makers wanted to. There'd still be a 3D film industry bubbling along.

One of the reasons people are amazed at Avatar again is simply the proper 3D, where the depth and details of the medium is back on display. Not just some cheated depth mattes on a 2D image. I know when we were in the 3D movie craze, you'd always notice the difference if something was shot in 3D.

Last edited:

Phroobar

iu

iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom