lazyboy97o

why are you negative towards this project?

the first sentence/question to me falls in line with questioning or debating the project i dont care who likes or doesnt like it..but stop spinning every detail into a negative
Nothing was spun into a negative, much less one about the project. Disney's Animal Kingdom, my favorite theme park in central Florida, is widely perceived as a "half-day" park and has the shortest operating hours of the four Walt Disney World theme parks. Getting people to stay during later hours for a nighttime show involves changing that perception, and I am not sure just two attractions, regardless of what intellectual property is attached, will be enough to change that perception and will be counteracted by how the park deals with later hours at the present and in the recent past.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Nothing was spun into a negative, much less one about the project. Disney's Animal Kingdom, my favorite theme park in central Florida, is widely perceived as a "half-day" park and has the shortest operating hours of the four Walt Disney World theme parks. Getting people to stay during later hours for a nighttime show involves changing that perception, and I am not sure just two attractions, regardless of what intellectual property is attached, will be enough to change that perception and will be counteracted by how the park deals with later hours at the present and in the recent past.
This is important. DAK Expansion, if you want to call it that, is not limited to Avatar. That's the biggest piece, but I'd put this project about halfway between Fantasyland and DCA in scope and scale.

lazyboy97o

This is important. DAK Expansion, if you want to call it that, is not limited to Avatar. That's the biggest piece, but I'd put this project about halfway between Fantasyland and DCA in scope and scale.
And that pretty much answers my query. I do still hope they reconsider night safaris. Busch Gardens Tampa does not seem to have jeopardized their accreditation.

twebber55

a project of that size would certainly keep my families attention well into the evening with the other offerings already at the park

WDWDad13

fire up the hallelujah chorus!!! let's hope DHS gets the SAME attention as well... and then with Disney Springs .... oh yeah WDW is firing on all cylinders then

Tim_4

Original Poster
And that pretty much answers my query. I do still hope they reconsider night safaris. Busch Gardens Tampa does not seem to have jeopardized their accreditation.
DAK has been slated for big money around 2015 for years. There was a generic placeholder in the budget before Avatar was ever mentioned. They knew they'd be doing SOMETHING, and Avatar kind of filled in the blank.

twebber55

fire up the hallelujah chorus!!! let's hope DHS gets the SAME attention as well... and then with Disney Springs .... oh yeah WDW is firing on all cylinders then
thats why i hope we hear something soon in regards to avatar and then something at d23 for dhs and disney will get some good press...going back a few pages ago it would be cool to see each of these projects have their own announcement...dak now and dhs in august

EPCOTCenterLover

So, Tim, what do you know about this? Why haven't we heard more? DAK has potential+....but its wasted for now.

SirLink

DAK has been slated for big money around 2015 for years. There was a generic placeholder in the budget before Avatar was ever mentioned. They knew they'd be doing SOMETHING, and Avatar kind of filled in the blank.

So does that mean new rides other than ones with Avatar IP in them?

spacemt354

Chili's
No. Avatar rides plus "nighttime tweaks" throughout the park.

I know it does get very dark in AK during EMH. It's kinda difficult to navigate out sometimes. Would they be installing better light fixtures along the pathways as part of these tweaks. I remember reading one time there was a rumor of a night parade in AK, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside due to lighting issues.

bassman02

I may be wrong about this but I thought the reason there was no night safaris was because the animals are moved to housing areas, in a sense tucked up for the night.I think its those buildings that can be seen from the train the conservation bit.
Am I wrong?

Personally Ive always thought that there could be some way of having AK have longer operating hours and still not disturb the animals.
Id love to see AK at night.the closest I got was when my family ate at the yak and yeti, we came out at about 7 and it was beautiful

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well that's forward progress ... forgive me if that news was already known.

So let me ask you this, since you seem to know ... when would this go out to GC's for budget pricing? And if they were to start at the end of the year when would it be reasonable that this goes out to many subs? Or perhaps when would they have to have at least a substantial percentage of plans done?
If they are doing this under a change order contract, the plans can be anywhere from preliminary to nearly complete. In the instances I have worked under a change order contract the plans have been very preliminary in nature. The Readers Digest of how that works is you start at a base price and any changes result in an up-charge to that original contract price.

doctornick

That's my big question. I think that Pandora (2 rides) and a night show are huge steps in the right direction and would be anough to warrant keeping DAK open to 8-9pm regularly. But the park could also use some additional attractions, even just 2-3 smaller family stuff (flat rides or dark rides) just to increase capacity. I'd like to think that the Pandora stuff we are talking about is just part of the additions, but I'm not holding my breath -- if it's just this Pandora stuff with a night show, that's at least a significant amount of progress even if the park still needs some work.

doctornick

No. Avatar rides plus "nighttime tweaks" throughout the park.

Ok. Well, I'd like more rides but I'm wondering what the tweaks are. Can't just be improving lighting and such infrastructure (though that would be needed). I wonder if they'd have some sort of nocturnal animal show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom