twebber55

FWIW, isn't the summer 2017 date an extrapolation? I think -- though I can't read the article myself because it's behind a paywall -- that George K is actually quoted as saying that the project would start by the end of 2013 and take "3 years to build" or something like that. The writer of the article then took the liberty of projecting to summer 2017.

I'm not saying that date is going to be wrong, but I'm not sure that George or anyone from Disney explicitely said that was the estimated delivery date.
good point

Sue_Vongello

If it's truly going to start at the end of 2013 ... then, maybe someone can help me out here, my limited knowledge of construction would tell me that these budget(s) need to be created in conjunction with general contractors, then plans need to be finalized, then the bid process, vetting process ... it would seem to me that at least budget pricing needs to happen in just a few months if not already, am I wrong? Someone that knows construction might want to jump in ...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If it's truly going to start at the end of 2013 ... then, maybe someone can help me out here, my limited knowledge of construction would tell me that these budget(s) need to be created in conjunction with general contractors, then plans need to be finalized, then the bid process, vetting process ... it would seem to me that at least budget pricing needs to happen in just a few months if not already, am I wrong? Someone that knows construction might want to jump in ...

@Tom Would have an idea on timelines.

But the thing we don't know, is how far along they already are.

Sue_Vongello

@Tom Would have an idea on timelines.

But the thing we don't know, is how far along they already are.

Yea I guess what I am getting at is (it's the skeptic in me) if they truly are going to start at the end of 2013 then we probably should have heard something from someone by now ...

lazyboy97o

Suffice to say, I am very excited if the current rumor comes to truth: two rides plus the requisite food/merch for Pandora and then a nighttime show (definitely needed for DAK to extend the hours) would be great. The park could still use some smaller rides for capacity, but that's a nice start.
Is this really what would be enough to keep more people in the park longer? Will Disney stop closing the park's headline attraction in the early evening? Will two attractions and dinner keep people around at least another three hours?

Tim_4

Original Poster
Preliminary plans have already been negotiated with contractors and the base contracts are in place. Bidding has already occurred. Changes to the plans will be achieved by change orders. The Wikipedia article on change orders does a good job of highlighting the concept.

Sue_Vongello

Preliminary plans have already been negotiated with contractors and the base contracts are in place. Bidding has already occurred. Changes to the plans will be achieved by change orders. The Wikipedia article on change orders does a good job of highlighting the concept.

So a general contractor has already been awarded this?

Tim_4

Original Poster
Is this really what would be enough to keep more people in the park longer? Will Disney stop closing the park's headline attraction in the early evening? Will two attractions and dinner keep people around at least another three hours?
Attractions and dinner won't keep them but a nighttime show will. The attractions and dinner are to fill the time in between, especially with the unique challenges of other attractions relying on live animals.

Plus DAK is already open until seven or eight in the summer and it gets dark early in the winter. I don't see them needing to extend more than an hour or two a night on average.

spacemt354

Chili's

Depends. The trouble with Animal Kingdom in general is the inability for guests to come and go from the park as they please. Unlike Epcot, where you can take a break by the Boardwalk, or MK where would can ride a boat to one of the resorts, AK is isolated and the most distant park for a majority of the onsite resorts. It involved the most planning of any park to visit, and it seems to have the least amount of a/c, which in the summer time, is a reason why people consider it a half-day park. The park lacks in C-tickets and family attractions. If Avatar brings an E and C ticket, as well as dining (all indoors with a/c I'm assuming) then it will be a major plus to the park. And the addition of a nighttime show along with another dining option will give people a reason to stay throughout the day, rather than leave in the afternoon.

twebber55

Just to underline this point. This thread is for SPECIFIC information and PROGRESS reports on the AVATAR project.

It IS NOT to discuss whether you agree or disagree with the concept of AVATAR being added to Animal Kingdom.

To discuss the merits of AVATAR use the original announcement thread at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

Any posts that do not fit within the purpose of this thread will be deleted.

i think your post should be put in the other avatar thread

lazyboy97o

Just to underline this point. This thread is for SPECIFIC information and PROGRESS reports on the AVATAR project.

It IS NOT to discuss whether you agree or disagree with the concept of AVATAR being added to Animal Kingdom.

To discuss the merits of AVATAR use the original announcement thread at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

Any posts that do not fit within the purpose of this thread will be deleted.

i think your post should be put in the other avatar thread
Nothing I stated in what you quoted had anything to do with my opinion regarding the concept. How the project will impact park visitation and operation is directly tied to the scope of the project.

twebber55

Nothing I stated in what you quoted had anything to do with my opinion regarding the concept. How the project will impact park visitation and operation is directly tied to the scope of the project.
rriiiiiggghhhhttttt

just another negative attack on the project

lazyboy97o

rriiiiiggghhhhttttt

just another negative attack on the project
Why are you so overly attached to and defensive of the project? I was discussing the perception of the park not the concept of the land. Changing that perception is very much based in what is available and can easily be discussed without regard to specific content of each.

Sue_Vongello

Not sure about the GC but there are definitely structural/ engineering contracts in place.

Well that's forward progress ... forgive me if that news was already known.

So let me ask you this, since you seem to know ... when would this go out to GC's for budget pricing? And if they were to start at the end of the year when would it be reasonable that this goes out to many subs? Or perhaps when would they have to have at least a substantial percentage of plans done?

lazyboy97o

Well that's forward progress ... forgive me if that news was already known.

So let me ask you this, since you seem to know ... when would this go out to GC's for budget pricing? And if they were to start at the end of the year when would it be reasonable that this goes out to many subs? Or perhaps when would they have to have at least a substantial percentage of plans done?
I believe the plans that leaked were part of a larger set that was sent out for estimates.

twebber55

Why are you so overly attached to and defensive of the project? I was discussing the perception of the park not the concept of the land. Changing that perception is very much based in what is available and can easily be discussed without regard to specific content of each.
why are you negative towards this project?

the first sentence/question to me falls in line with questioning or debating the project i dont care who likes or doesnt like it..but stop spinning every detail into a negative

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom