RunnerEd

Greetings from my "Spirited" 0.43% vacation to the lovely garden spot of Afghanistan! I just got to internet access that wasn't for official stuff and got caught up on this thread. It sounds like some good stuff happening at DAK that I can honestly say that I'm getting excited about seeing. I have one question if anyone knows. Will the existing problems in the park be addressed while Burbank is in a "check writing mood?" I'm talking about making the Tree of Life safe to walk around without the nets, Dinosaur's effects being repaired and brought back online, and/or (of course) the Yeti being returned to A-mode. Thanks! I should be heading home in a few weeks and can't wait to head to Disneyland in July! BTW: it's 0235 tomorrow for those of you who care what time it is. I work strange schedules :/

BryceM

Er, going to let people judge for themselves. The ride-thru is in the Sea World forum. I don't want to sidetrack the forum here, but since many have been looking to Antarctica to push Disney, I wanted to let people know they can watch it. My personal opinion is it is not good. AvLand is in a different league.
Agreed. It was way too short, some cheesy music at the end, poor animations (for the most part) and had a terribly jumbled up story. Did I mention how short it was?

But alas, it's not fair for me to judge fully entire I've ridden it. I do think the caverns look very pretty and cool.

the.dreamfinder

Er, going to let people judge for themselves. The ride-thru is in the Sea World forum. I don't want to sidetrack the forum here, but since many have been looking to Antarctica to push Disney, I wanted to let people know they can watch it. My personal opinion is it is not good. AvLand is in a different league.
Agreed.
I personally never put Antartica in AvLand or CL territory, but they're trying and maybe they'll build something in league with Disney or UNI's best one day. However, Disney should be embarrassed that the first domestic trackless dark ride, a technology they created 15 years ago, was at a competitor's park.

Genie of the Lamp

I read on The Daily City (article uploaded on May 14th) that they are in the development stage for this project. Whether that's R&D or Design Development, I'm not sure, but Tim probably does.

CTXRover

They've been in the development stage on Avatar for how long now?
I know this was probably a rhetorical question, but the partnership was announced September 2011 and reportedly development and blue sky started after that. So technically, less than 2 years. Pretty typical for a project of this size (i.e. a land). We've had the unusual perspective to have insight into the back and forth of development of a project like this, in addition to what I suspect was filtered information to support the notion that it was falling apart, which seems less and less likely as time passes.

Prototype82

They have Star Wars and Marvel. That likely makes LOTR a non-issue for them. I doubt it was ever seriously considered as it would be extremely expensive to do right. But never say never I guess.
Unless you're universal. Then it's a breeze. An expensive breeze.

jt04

Unless you're universal. Then it's a breeze. An expensive breeze.

It is such a vast IP I just do not see how the budget would not exceed even Universal's capibility. It would be difficult to execute even with an entire theme park dedicated to it. Not to mention trying to create a single land. Of course the stories were not designed with theme parks in mind at all. I just do not see how it would be done and I have a prolific imagination. Not that I would mind if someone tried.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know this was probably a rhetorical question, but the partnership was announced September 2011 and reportedly development and blue sky started after that. So technically, less than 2 years. Pretty typical for a project of this size (i.e. a land). We've had the unusual perspective to have insight into the back and forth of development of a project like this, in addition to what I suspect was filtered information to support the notion that it was falling apart, which seems less and less likely as time passes.

A good point. This project came out of the blue. Most projects in design, development or even blue sky are "sniffed out" by some insiders long before they are announced.

The idea that the project was falling apart was probably not a wilfull attempt to mislead the masses but at least partially wishful thinking on the parts of some people who don't like the idea. Whether its fanbois who just don't like Avatar for AK or others whose project ideas were being passed over for this one.

Prototype82

It is such a vast IP I just do not see how the budget would not exceed even Universal's capibility. It would be difficult to execute even with an entire theme park dedicated to it. Not to mention trying to create a single land. Of course the stories were not designed with theme parks in mind at all. I just do not see how it would be done and I have a prolific imagination. Not that I would mind if someone tried.
They way I'd imagine it is physically bring to life 2 or 3 iconic areas from the films, the Shire or Gondor, have a restaurant and some shops, and have one flagship ride that glides over every iconic land from the films. I'm thinking Star Tours meets Harry Potter. Question is how smooth it could work out. It could look pretty confusing and forced.

NoChesterHester

Absolutely agree on the point that they obviously announced it too early. Or at least earlier than normal.

At the time they stated a 2015 opening date however, which doesn't seem possible at this point.

I fully believe however that the reports of it "falling apart" were accurate. I don't believe for one second this has been a normal development process. I'm sure that both parties were ready to throw in the towel at various points. In the end that could be healthy for the final product.

I'm glad the project is moving forward. Don't count me in the haters. I just find the development pace maddenly slow.

jt04

They way I'd imagine it is physically bring to life 2 or 3 iconic areas from the films, the Shire or Gondor, have a restaurant and some shops, and have one flagship ride that glides over every iconic land from the films. I'm thinking Star Tours meets Harry Potter. Question is how smooth it could work out. It could look pretty confusing and forced.

Yes, I agree. It would almost take rethinking the theme park experience. Perhaps building an entire massive Shire-esque village (accommodations, recreation etc. at the surface) with all the themed worlds at "utilidor" level (attractions, immersive environments, eateries) and unseen. Then a variety of "adventures" could be accessed from different portals. Something like DAK with utilidors to paint a rough picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom