They can easily do that with the plethora of timeless Disney characters and films that they already have at hand, or by utilising the creativity of the Imagineers to create immersive and original new attractions and lands in the spirit of Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Expedition: Everest.

Your logic doesn't make a lot sense to me; so because they used Disney films to inspire new attractions at Magic Kingdom, they shouldn't do so at Animal Kingdom?
Exactly;)

twebber55

They can easily do that with the plethora of timeless Disney characters and films that they already have at hand, or by utilising the creativity of the Imagineers to create immersive and original new attractions and lands in the spirit of Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Expedition: Everest.

Your logic doesn't make a lot sense to me; so because they used Disney films to inspire new attractions at Magic Kingdom, they shouldn't do so at Animal Kingdom?
nothing wrong with doing both...also nothing wrong with venturing out into other IPs to bring in a different audience...Universal does this (well i might add)so no reason to think the mouse cant do it either

nothing wrong of using your own IPs, creating original ideas, and using other outside IPs to create wonderful experiences

Padraig

nothing wrong with doing both...also nothing wrong with venturing out into other IPs to bring in a different audience...Universal does this (well i might add)so no reason to think the mouse cant do it either

nothing wrong of using your own IPs, creating original ideas, and using other outside IPs to create wonderful experiences

If you've a back catalogue of great IP, a history of innovation when it comes to their creation; then why bother to put money in someone else's pocket for an outside IP? Why not go to the trouble of doing it yourself and having the whole pie? This is the main thing I don't understand with Avatar - excluding the fact that I think it's a very weak IP.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Disney Blog posted an article about the current status of the FotLK theatre construction, and in the article was this quote"

Things are finally getting serious for the Avatarland expansion coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Last week Disney installed the portable offices for Imagineering and their contractors in a space over behind Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Can anyone confirm that these new office trailers have been setup?

twebber55

If you've a back catalogue of great IP, a history of innovation when it comes to their creation; then why bother to put money in someone else's pocket for an outside IP? Why not go to the trouble of doing it yourself and having the whole pie? This is the main thing I don't understand with Avatar - excluding the fact that I think it's a very weak IP.
you may think its a weak IP but obviously other people dont..why not bring more people into your parks by adding popular IPS...and i dont mean everywhere..WDW is not being overrun by outside IPs

FrankLapidus

No I understand that fine, what I don't understand is the "broadening their horizons" comment which I interpreted as Disney shouldn't use a Disney property at Animal Kingdom because they've recently done so at Magic Kingdom. Given that this is Walt Disney World we're talking about, that logic really doesn't make much sense to me.

As for using outside properties to bring in a different audience...I guess that is dependent on whether or not you believe a given IP can bring in a different audience. In my opinion, and I stress this is just an opinion, Avatar won't for Disney.

twebber55

No I understand that fine, what I don't understand is the "broadening their horizons" comment which I interpreted as Disney shouldn't use a Disney property at Animal Kingdom because they've recently done so at Magic Kingdom. Given that this is Walt Disney World we're talking about, that logic really doesn't make much sense to me.

As for using outside properties to bring in a different audience...I guess that is dependent on whether or not you believe a given IP can bring in a different audience. In my opinion, and I stress this is just an opinion, Avatar won't for Disney.
LOL i think we ve debated this one before...whats funny is i read your posts and probably agree with 99% of what you put on this board , just not about avatar haha

Soarin' Over Pgh

That's a gentle way of 'explaining' how this is all going down... and why it's been two solid years with absolutely no information on this project at all aside from a photograph showing...what could be just about anything.

I'd like to believe it's being done so slowly like this for a reason, and that reason is a tie-in with movie and novel releases... but I'm just not that naïve.

I still think it's a horrible idea, but hey, who cares what I think.

WDWDad13

That's a gentle way of 'explaining' how this is all going down... and why it's been two solid years with absolutely no information on this project at all aside from a photograph showing...what could be just about anything.

I'd like to believe it's being done so slowly like this for a reason, and that reason is a tie-in with movie and novel releases... but I'm just not that naïve.

I still think it's a horrible idea, but hey, who cares what I think.

agreed

rodmansju

i've already said how i am not a fan. the movie couldn't really capture my attention- i tried watching it several times, on dvd and when on cable, and i either fell asleep or changed the channel every time.

i kinda fear it is something like the movie titanic--go after what broke box office records, for the sake of having a top moneymaker to build around.

except they already have some, in house or close to it, that are more time-tested.

I keep on saying a set of rides based on Narnia could have been awesome. I enjoyed the movies (i know the last wasn't Disney) but assuming they still have, or could re-acquire, rights, i would be much more excited about visiting Narnia as opposed to Avatar. my kids know narnia-they have no interest in Avatar.

Having just returned from WDW, i think it would take a lot for us to really spend more time in AK-and i personally like the park. We went on the safari-which was nicely changed from our last time in 2011-and the lion king show, and that was about it. Kali river had a crazy wait time and it was a day we just decided to bag early and spend some pool time. Avatarland would not change that. Narnia might. Or, if you wanted, why not do something with Wookies or Ewoks there--yea, i know SWLand is rumored for the studios, but if you are intent on mythical creatures...

i still think they should add a country (australia), and/or finally dust off some beastly kingdom ideas and run with it.

in terms of branching out to pull in non disney fans, Avatar doesn't resonate anywhere close to the two biggest family friendly, non-disney IP out there--Potter and Hobbit. not even close. so theres the challenge for imagineering...they absolutely have to make Avatarland such an amazing world with such cutting edge and awesome rides that the IP does not matter so much-even if you couldn't stand Avatar, you'd want to ride it.

but then, that gets back to, if you actually make the ride so awesome theming is largely irrelevant, then why bother with Avatar at all, why not do the beastly kingdom thing....don't use the IP/theming as a crutch

Lucky

i still think they should add a country (australia), and/or finally dust off some beastly kingdom ideas and run with it.
My top preference for AK would have been adding a continent - Australia or South America.

Unfortunately Beastly Kingdom's time came and went. Now that Uni has Potter and all of its mythical beasts it would look derivative for AK to build BK, no matter who had the idea first.

Beholder

My top preference for AK would have been adding a continent - Australia or South America.

Unfortunately Beastly Kingdom's time came and went. Now that Uni has Potter and all of its mythical beasts it would look derivative for AK to build BK, no matter who had the idea first.

I think that's a great point, Disney doing anything "fantasy" would appear to some as copying UNI. I think another continent or "land" is the way to go along with expanding the pre-historic presence in the park. They're dinosaurs for heavens sake, go big!

rodmansju

I think that's a great point, Disney doing anything "fantasy" would appear to some as copying UNI. I think another continent or "land" is the way to go along with expanding the pre-historic presence in the park. They're dinosaurs for heavens sake, go big!

i agree here, and especially when you consider what Pixar's next big movie is (the little dinosaur), it would be a wise move and play to the IP as well, as much as some dislike that.

i would really really dig an Australia section. Add an aquarium in to have crocs, a version of the great barrier reef, sharks, rays etc. You could even make that a submarine ride perhaps? might be cool...but add something.

could create a second safari-type ride, just for the Australian outback-kangaroos, dingoes, koalas and i am sure i am missing some that could be there....but it could work.

Scuttle

An old friend/flight instructor was flying yesterday doing practice maneuvers with a student by DAK and told me there was quite a lot of movement going on the entire West side of the park. Looks like I need to get in the air!

What does this mean? Possibly nothing since he was on a practice flight with a student and wasn't looking specifically for construction, but still interesting.

Jose

An old friend/flight instructor was flying yesterday doing practice maneuvers with a student by DAK and told me there was quite a lot of movement going on the entire West side of the park. Looks like I need to get in the air!

What does this mean? Possibly nothing since he was on a practice flight with a student and wasn't looking specifically for construction, but still interesting.
Well, the only way that we'll know exactly what is happening there is flying ;)

misterID

Actually, BK could still live on in the shape of the MI/BK hybrid. And it wouldn't look like anyone was copying each other. Heck, UNI is expanding their Jurassic Park and no one is ging to claim its a rip off of AK.

Avatar could kill the MI hybrid for good, though :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom