Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

FettFan

Know what would be cool for Animal Kingdom?

DAIKAIJU LAND!
godzillavsavatar_zpsd781ca94.jpg

RSoxNo1

If Iger is such an idiot how comes the parks are overflowing with people now more than ever? Even at $100 a day tickets?

Avatar will not be dumped. First of all construction has already begun and the plans have been disclosed to the public second of all there would be a huge severance payout to Cameron if they walk away plus a black eye by the media. Avatarland is a done deal.
Discounted hotel rooms? Non-permanent/short term solutions to boost attendance?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Discounted hotel rooms? Non-permanent/short term solutions to boost attendance?

Not really relevant to this discussion, but something that always confuses me. So on many threads we hear so much about how Disney hotels are grossly overpriced and how you are paying $500+ per night for the equivalent of a Holiday Inn room. Blah, blah, blah.

Then at other times people say that Disney is just propping up attendance numbers by offering discounted hotel rooms and free DDP.

The 2 ideas seem to contradict themselves. If the rooms are grossly overpriced to begin with and then you offer a discount wouldn't they still be overpriced or maybe fairly priced? If that's the case then you are still making money on the filled rooms and still making money on park tickets. If this is the case then it's not really a bad strategy, even long term. If they start giving out free rooms or deep discounted rooms that are below cost then it could be a problem.

RSoxNo1

Not really relevant to this discussion, but something that always confuses me. So on many threads we hear so much about how Disney hotels are grossly overpriced and how you are paying $500+ per night for the equivalent of a Holiday Inn room. Blah, blah, blah.

Then at other times people say that Disney is just propping up attendance numbers by offering discounted hotel rooms and free DDP.

The 2 ideas seem to contradict themselves. If the rooms are grossly overpriced to begin with and then you offer a discount wouldn't they still be overpriced or maybe fairly priced? If that's the case then you are still making money on the filled rooms and still making money on park tickets. If this is the case then it's not really a bad strategy, even long term. If they start giving out free rooms or deep discounted rooms that are below cost then it could be a problem.
Disney has long wanted to get away from discounts, but they've been in too deep with discounts for too long. It seems they don't know any other way and discounts have become the new norm. The cost of a hotel room is not the rack rate, it's lower due to discounts. After the consumer is used to discounts it is far more challenging to get them off of them.

All Hallows

Why is it whenever Avatar is mentioned I can't help but think of politics, agendas and activism? I wish that Disney would go with more proprietary material. They need to use their imaginations and come up with something original. I, for one, do not wish to see Disney become "Lucanized".

Last edited:

Figment2005

Why is it whenever Avatar is mentioned I can't help but think of politics, agendas and activism? I wish that Disney would go with more proprietary material. They need to use their imaginations and come up with something original. I, for one, do not wish to see Disney become "Lucanized".
So just because the I.P. they are using is licensed means that the ideas going into the new area are not original? If the ideas they are using had been used elsewhere before, then I would agree, but they haven't.

All Hallows

So just because the I.P. they are using is licensed means that the ideas going into the new area are not original? If the ideas they are using had been used elsewhere before, then I would agree, but they haven't.

Original? The ideas going into the new area are not original. The infrastructure, the mechanics and the nuts and bolts may be, but the ideas are going to be based on a movie that was written, directed, edited and produced by James Cameron. Disney will be nothing more than the vessel, a place to display Cameron's work. So, no matter how you slice it, Disney is losing its imagination. I was also disappointed that Disney scrapped the beastly kingdom idea. The bottom line may be as simple as money.

Mouse Trap

Original? The ideas going into the new area are not original. The infrastructure, the mechanics and the nuts and bolts may be, but the ideas are going to be based on a movie that was written, directed, edited and produced by James Cameron. Disney will be nothing more than the vessel, a place to display Cameron's work. So, no matter how you slice it, Disney is losing its imagination. I was also disappointed that Disney scrapped the beastly kingdom idea. The bottom line may be as simple as money.

Random dragons and mythical beasts will not bring as many people to a park vs. an idea people are very familiar with. Proof? See almost every movie released in recent history and tell me how many of them are original. There cannot possibly be proprietary concepts and attractions at every corner. Whether it is a theme park ride or Hollywood flick, original ideas are always a gamble and it isn't always a bet worth taking.

Pandora Land will be a true test of Disney's creativity as they will have to make a very ambitious world come to life with amazing landscapes and attractions. The story of Avatar did not sell tickets, the world of Avatar did and Disney is going to need to show how they can make that world come to life.

Last edited:

All Hallows

Random dragons and mythical beasts will not bring as many people to a park vs. an idea people are very familiar with. Proof? See almost every movie released in recent history and tell me how many of them are original. There cannot possibly be proprietary concepts and attractions at every corner. Whether it is a theme park ride or Hollywood flick, original ideas are always a gamble and it isn't always a bet worth taking.

Pandora Land will be a true test of Disney's creativity as they will have to make a very ambitious world come to life with amazing landscapes and attractions. The story of Avatar did not sell tickets, the world of Avatar did and Disney is going to need to show how they can make that world come to life.

I see your point and you're correct, up to a point. Disney itself is the quintessential original idea that has grown into a multibillion-dollar industry. As Walt Disney himself once said; "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." An original idea. It's a good thing for me, you and millions of others that Uncle Walt didn't allow randomness to get in the way of his imagination. Which by the way did bring many people to a park.

And you're correct in your assertion that original ideas are always a gamble and it isn't always a bet worth taking. But, not always. Sometimes the gamble pays off - BIG. If you haven't yet you should read the biography of Walt Disney. It will answer your inquires much better than I ever could.

Mouse Trap

I see your point and you're correct, up to a point. Disney itself is the quintessential original idea that has grown into a multibillion-dollar industry. As Walt Disney himself once said; "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." An original idea. It's a good thing for me, you and millions of others that Uncle Walt didn't allow randomness to get in the way of his imagination. Which by the way did bring many people to a park.

And you're correct in your assertion that original ideas are always a gamble and it isn't always a bet worth taking. But, not always. Sometimes the gamble pays off - BIG. If you haven't yet you should read the biography of Walt Disney. It will answer your inquires much better than I ever could.

I'm totally with you, and trust me I hate the never ending franchise tent poles being pulled out of Hollywood, Universal, and now Disney. For now that's the cycle we are in, familiarity rules and I think it'll be a few more years until that trend ends.

FutureCEO

I can't help think genocide along with those. Pretty sure if they stick with the wonderful visuals in the movie it will be fine. But the storyline for the movie, I thought was terrible.

Magenta Panther

Bravo to everything you've said.

Avatarland is already a laughingstock to non-blue-kitty-fans. It was a knee-jerk reaction to Uni's Potterland, made by a CEO with about as much imagination as a cinder block, who thinks the smart thing to do is not spend money, talent and risk on something new, or newly-Disney-adapted, but on already-established "brands" (and "brands" is Iger's very favorite word) - even if those brands exist outside of the company. If the second Avatar film sucks and flops, then Iger is going to look like a fool even to his stockholders. Ironically, he's taken an even bigger risk than he would have by simply building Beastly Kingdomme or a Pride Lands attraction. Dragons, unicorns, griffins and so on have stood the test of time in the public imagination, and The Lion King has proven its longevity time and again. Avatar, for all we know, and given its dumb script, may be a flash in the pan. Time will tell...

twebber55

Care to guess what was the number 1 selling Blu-ray was last week? It was a movie that supposedly no one cares about anymore. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14165

Granted, it was mostly because a major retailer was having a big sale, but I think it shows that AVATAR isn't quite as forgotten as some people think.
haha well done
opinions on this varies of course but some of the folks around here crack me up on this topic
time and again proven wrong about facts about this movie

Last edited:

Brian Foisy

I hope they do regret it I mean stop buying theme park rights and work with what they got. They still haven't made an Aladdin ride it is called Disney World not Anything We Can Find To Make A Dark Ride Out Of World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom