Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

Chef Mickey

Fair point. Disney didn't need to do an Avatar based land. They could have gone a lot of different directions or used something completely original. I think partnering with Cameron is a pretty smart move though. Before they bought Lucas Film they partnered with George Lucas to create Star Tours and the Indy attractions. Why not bring in a great creative mind to help build a new land?

Why I think the Cameron partnership is especially beneficial is his extensive knowledge and work with cutting edge film making (especially when it comes to 3D). With the exception of Soarin Disney has limited experience with screen based attractions. I think Cameron can bring his skills and experience with cutting edge digital film to create an even better ride experience than WDI could do alone. I guess Disney brought over the guy from Universal who is in charge of Star Wars projects now for WDI, but outside of him they are lacking in true screen/film based ride experts.
Agree and good point. My secret hope is the Cameron partnership and Avatar theme can give it the initial spark and it will slowly fade away and change into a beautifully themed land without the in your face Avatarness.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agree and good point. My secret hope is the Cameron partnership and Avatar theme can give it the initial spark and it will slowly fade away and change into a beautifully themed land without the in your face Avatarness.

What do you mean by "in your face Avatarness"? It's sounding like the area will focus on the environment of Pandora and no the story of Avatar. The environments of Avatar have a pretty distinctive look, once it's build they aren't likely to change how it looks.

Chef Mickey

What do you mean by "in your face Avatarness"? It's sounding like the area will focus on the environment of Pandora and no the story of Avatar. The environments of Avatar have a pretty distinctive look, once it's build they aren't likely to change how it looks.
I was speculating. If it does what you say, all the better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The rides will continue to have characters from the world of Avatar, but the movie related merchandise and Avatar movie references could fade some over time. Not sure if the word Avatar will be in any of the names of the rides. For example if the rides are Soarin over Pandora and the Pandora boat cruise there isn't even a reference to Avatar. I'm thinking like Splash Mountain. The characters are from the movie, but there is no reference anywhere to song of the south.

twebber55

The rides will continue to have characters from the world of Avatar, but the movie related merchandise and Avatar movie references could fade some over time. Not sure if the word Avatar will be in any of the names of the rides. For example if the rides are Soarin over Pandora and the Pandora boat cruise there isn't even a reference to Avatar. I'm thinking like Splash Mountain. The characters are from the movie, but there is no reference anywhere to song of the south.
earlier reports said the the soarin type ride would be called a Flight of Passage and the boat ride was Navi River Journey(I think)

Captain Neo

Look, I think it's cool they are planning something different and I know this has been talked about before, but now a few years into when this was planned, am I the only one who thinks this idea is even worse now that when it was proposed? I mean this is not a movie where there is a lot of buzz around it, I never hear anyone mention it, it does not have a following like say Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, backed by tons of merch and books. I wonder if Disney could do this over again(especially since they ended up buying Star Wars) would they have gotten into bed with James Cameron on this or opted for something else.

The first Avatar film is the highest grossing movie of all time, James Cameron is one of the most well respected filmmakers of all time and is known for making sequels that are far superior to their originals (T2, ALIENS), there are currently 3 Avatar sequels in production, several novel spinoffs, and a potential prequel for later down the road. When Avatar 2 releases in 2016 the pent up demand will be through the roof.

Why on Earth would Disney regret this? They need something to combat Harry Potter ASAP and Pixar won't cut it, Marvel is off limits in Florida and Star Wars is going to be awhile. At the same time DAK has been struggling since day one to a lack of rides and a stigma that it is merely a "half day park" and people have been whining that there is no Beastly Kingdom or Fantasy creatures section. With Avatar they can now display fantasy yet potentially realistic alien wildlife in the park. Its win-win-win all around.

Tonka's Skipper

COMING SOON...........TITANIC LAND!!!!!!!!! :eek:

(edited to be more clear)

Don't be to surprised if a Titanic land shows up somewhere else

There is a non Disney group that are actually building a new cruise liner in China, following the plans of the Titanic with some modern up grades. They will offer CM in period wear and try to provide the whole experience, less the sinking.............I hope..............but the ship is being built in China, who are not known for quality products, especially ships., so who knows what may happen.

AKK

Last edited:

NoChesterHester

Don't be to surprised!

They are actually a new cruise liner in China, following the plans of the Titanic with some modern up grades. They will offer CM in period wear and try to provide the whole experience, less the sinking.............I hope..............but the ship is being built in China, who are not known for quality products, especially ships., so who knows what may happen.

AKK

...because there are no good ideas left - let's reinvent old ones.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The first Avatar film is the highest grossing movie of all time, James Cameron is one of the most well respected filmmakers of all time and is known for making sequels that are far superior to their originals (T2, ALIENS), there are currently 3 Avatar sequels in production, several novel spinoffs, and a potential prequel for later down the road. When Avatar 2 releases in 2016 the pent up demand will be through the roof.

Why on Earth would Disney regret this? They need something to combat Harry Potter ASAP and Pixar won't cut it, Marvel is off limits in Florida and Star Wars is going to be awhile. At the same time DAK has been struggling since day one to a lack of rides and a stigma that it is merely a "half day park" and people have been whining that there is no Beastly Kingdom or Fantasy creatures section. With Avatar they can now display fantasy yet potentially realistic alien wildlife in the park. Its win-win-win all around.

I don't think they are interested in combatting Potter. Star Wars is one of the few franchises that could do this, and they could fast track a major Star Wars expansion if they really wanted to, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Magenta Panther

There is NO WAY Avatar can combat Harry Potter. True, that was Iger's thought, but well....Iger's an idiot when it comes to the parks. Avatar doesn't have anything LIKE Potter's cross-generational appeal. Its sole reason for success was eye candy. Which, in the cinema, gets topped every day. And pardon me, but SCREW Cameron's alien wildlife. It's laughable and has none of the iconic status of dragons, unicorns, gryphons, etc., which everyone is familiar with. (Even that Pony cartoon feature them). I'm still hoping the Avatar plans will get dumped altogether. Disney can use the old "creative differences" trope. It'd save face on both side and save Disney a ton of money building something nobody will care about in five years (I doubt that many people care about Avatar NOW). JMO.

Captain Neo

There is NO WAY Avatar can combat Harry Potter. True, that was Iger's thought, but well....Iger's an idiot when it comes to the parks. Avatar doesn't have anything LIKE Potter's cross-generational appeal. Its sole reason for success was eye candy. Which, in the cinema, gets topped every day. And pardon me, but SCREW Cameron's alien wildlife. It's laughable and has none of the iconic status of dragons, unicorns, gryphons, etc., which everyone is familiar with. (Even that Pony cartoon feature them). I'm still hoping the Avatar plans will get dumped altogether. Disney can use the old "creative differences" trope. It'd save face on both side and save Disney a ton of money building something nobody will care about in five years (I doubt that many people care about Avatar NOW). JMO.

If Iger is such an idiot how comes the parks are overflowing with people now more than ever? Even at $100 a day tickets?

Avatar will not be dumped. First of all construction has already begun and the plans have been disclosed to the public second of all there would be a huge severance payout to Cameron if they walk away plus a black eye by the media. Avatarland is a done deal.

twebber55

Frozen makes 1.3 billion its a global phenomenon, Avatar makes 2.7 billion and nobody likes it
DAK is turning into a complete/full day (and night park) and will draw HUGE crowds
see ya there ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Frozen makes 1.3 billion its a global phenomenon, Avatar makes 2.7 billion and nobody likes it
DAK is turning into a complete/full day (and night park) and will draw HUGE crowds
see ya there ;)
All depends on whether or not the project is value-engineered or whether we get what we are seeing in the concept art.

If it is a full land, along with the nighttime entertainment and new safari, it's the closest thing it has ever been to a full day park. Still think it needs a few little additions aside from Avatar to be considered a true full day park, but the expansion will bring crowds if done right.

If Cameron wasn't involved I would be worried. But Cameron is not going to let his product be second rate. I don't think there will be much value-engineering to this project...at least I hope there will not be.

twebber55

All depends on whether or not the project is value-engineered or whether we get what we are seeing in the concept art.

If it is a full land, along with the nighttime entertainment and new safari, it's the closest thing it has ever been to a full day park. Still think it needs a few little additions aside from Avatar to be considered a true full day park, but the expansion will bring crowds if done right.

If Cameron wasn't involved I would be worried. But Cameron is not going to let his product be second rate. I don't think there will be much value-engineering to this project...at least I hope there will not be.
absolutely i agree..this is all about execution

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom