Jones14

Oh yes, I fully agree.

I just didn't want to go that route, because then people would miss my point, and instead, accuse me of hating on high-quality theming or something like that.
My main issue is, basically, that Pandora plays by a different set of rules than every other land. That Pandora doesn't have to use the standard markings.

So while I may not have sounded like I agree with what you said above, believe me, I do.
But I think the positive here is that they've now broken the seal on getting rid of the standard Mickey head. I don't think it qualifies as preferential treatment until we see if this trend continues. If, for example, the Mickey heads return for Toy Story Land but not Star Wars Land, then I think you'll have a point. For now, it's just taking the next step in the evolution of theme park design.

HauntedMansionFLA

Oh yes, I fully agree.

I just didn't want to go that route, because then people would miss my point, and instead, accuse me of hating on high-quality theming or something like that.
My main issue is, basically, that Pandora plays by a different set of rules than every other land. That Pandora doesn't have to use the standard markings.

So while I may not have sounded like I agree with what you said above, believe me, I do.
I assume Cameron had it in the agreement that there would be certain markings true ton the theme of the land. Or maybe Disney decided to go that route?

FigmentJedi

The discussion about them losing the Mickey heads on the scanners for the sake of the immersion is really funny to me after seeing pictures of the Wilderness Explorers stations they have set up in the land. Because seeing stuff from a Pixar movie that's set centuries before Avatar is reaaallly immersion breaking and it just reminds me of how crappy the situation on Earth is in the universe that James Cameron created and makes me dread the idea of people making their Pixar theories even stupider once discovering that connection.

dreamscometrue

Re Flight of Passage...
"As someone who has been to every Disney Park in the world, and who honestly just kinda likes the movie Avatar, this was the best ride I've ever ridden, in any Disney Park in the world..." Quinn Roseboom

Video Spoiler Alert...great Pandora look from 8:45 to 20:50, including a look at the land, queues and rides, food (and interview with Chef Ed Wronski) general merch, 'The ACE Avatar Maker Experience' (interview with Kelly Moore) and nice little interview with Joe Rohde. :)

Casper Gutman

A more interesting way of looking at this land is comparing it to Cars Land. While both lands are similar in that the back of each land is a facade to look like natural structures, Avatar seems to be FAR superior in that aspect of rockwork, as well as additional dinning options and rides.

I absolutely do not get this impression. The rockwork in both lands is impressive, but I prefer the Route 66 Monument Valley of Cars Land - those "floating mountains" still look like a stationary sculpture.

As to rides - I'll never take a simulator over a dark ride, especially not one as elaborate and well-done as Racers. As regards secondary ride offerings, I'd probably give the edge to RJ over Luigi's and Mater's, but the fact that it's close just shows how good the Cars Land flat rides are and how much better RJ could have been.

As to the quality of food - I really can't judge that until I've tasted it, but I love the Kozy Kone - my favorite QS in a Disney park - and the restaurants in CL are much better themed then the big empty mess hall of Pandora.

The area in which Avatar really falls short is the shopping. Pandora has one fairly generic shop selling merchandise that doesn't interest me. Cars Land has a series of unique shops selling merchandise that furthers the theming of the land. It is the closest Disney has gotten to the model of shopping needed to support their vision of MM+ - and it's in a park without MM+.

I'm not a fan of either IP. But man, I love Cars Land.

Dizney Crew

I absolutely do not get this impression. The rockwork in both lands is impressive, but I prefer the Route 66 Monument Valley of Cars Land - those "floating mountains" still look like a stationary sculpture.

As to rides - I'll never take a simulator over a dark ride, especially not one as elaborate and well-done as Racers. As regards secondary ride offerings, I'd probably give the edge to RJ over Luigi's and Mater's, but the fact that it's close just shows how good the Cars Land flat rides are and how much better RJ could have been.

As to the quality of food - I really can't judge that until I've tasted it, but I love the Kozy Kone - my favorite QS in a Disney park - and the restaurants in CL are much better themed then the big empty mess hall of Pandora.

The area in which Avatar really falls short is the shopping. Pandora has one fairly generic shop selling merchandise that doesn't interest me. Cars Land has a series of unique shops selling merchandise that furthers the theming of the land. It is the closest Disney has gotten to the model of shopping needed to support their vision of MM+ - and it's in a park without MM+.

I'm not a fan of either IP. But man, I love Cars Land.

Totally agree about the rock work in Cars Land, Avatar looks impressive in pics but I won't make a final call on which is better until I see Pandora in person. I doubt FOP will be better then Racers, I agree that a great themed dark ride is better than a simulator, and I really wish they would have made the NRJ the main attraction in the land instead of FOP. If the river ride could have been a 7-8 min ride with minimum thrills (small drops) and something on the level of Splash Mtn in terms of AA's I think this would have been more impressive to most than just a fancy 3D Sim.

I won't make a final judgement on whats better until I step foot inside of Avatar Land, but even after seeing lots of pics and vids this week, I still give the nod to Radiator Springs in terms of overall themeing. Hoping that in reality their both equally as good though.

Bob Harlem

How is FoP capacity and reliability wise? The way they have been doing previews with it is pretty alarming considering the capacity of 1 theater (that I hear is having issues often exasperating the problem). Are the other theaters not ready, and/or having issues also? Even with the multiple theaters capacity seems dangerously low for a headliner.

maroonmol

not sure if this is the right place to post, or if they have been posted already. (mods, feel free to move otherwise) but took a couple of screenshots from jenn tracker's snapchat of pandora.

(username is wearsmoonshoes if you want to view the videos for yourself)

pandora1.jpg
pandora2.jpg
pandora3.jpg
pandora4.jpg
pandora5.jpg
pandora6.jpg
pandora7.jpg
pandora8.jpg
pandora9.jpg
pandora10.jpg

bhg469

not sure if this is the right place to post, or if they have been posted already. (mods, feel free to move otherwise) but took a couple of screenshots from jenn tracker's snapchat of pandora.

(username is wearsmoonshoes if you want to view the videos for yourself)

View attachment 203128 View attachment 203129 View attachment 203130 View attachment 203131 View attachment 203132 View attachment 203133 View attachment 203134 View attachment 203135 View attachment 203136 View attachment 203137
Seems that they've gone the route of full time YouTube so I'm sure they probably wouldn't share their content here. She's got quite a foul mouth on Twitter too so beware if she attacks you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom