toolsnspools

The track does look really short. We're presuming that the track goes down the center of the channel, though. Wouldn't the underwater rail system give them the flexibility to do something similar to this -

upload_2016-2-11_20-26-28.png

I'm curious what the outdoor "air compressor yard" is for too.

HauntedMansionFLA

Each of us has our opinion, which makes discussion forums interesting. :)

I actually think the opposite. I believe I'm going to enjoy the 2 rides a lot, but be even more impressed by simply walking around the immersive land, especially at night. I really expect that I'll find this to be the most immersive theme park land around (at least for the next 2-3 years). Diagon Alley is impressive, but I expect this will be even more so, with the grandeur of the floating mountains, waterfalls and bio luminescent forest.
I see these two attractions as a perfect combination for different types of guest. The flight ride geared more toward the thrill seekers and the boat ride that's more tame and everyone can enjoy(families with kids). The boat ride hopefully will be slow moving with jaw dropping theming. It will be cool to see if the Tree of Souls will be included plus it rotates around to see everything. And yes, the whole land will be beautiful at nighttime. Thanks to everyone who found this information and help shed some light on the boat ride attraction. And a big thanks to the members who did the math to give a possible length time. :)

No Name

With the way they were advertising it and how it was almost like an afterthought every time they talked about the oh-so-thrilling banshee ride, this is pretty much what I expected. No drops (that would probably actually take away from the experience), no Forbidden-Journey-style 3D scenes, no two-story boat ride, nothing special like that. It'll be what they've been adveristing and drawing up concept art of: a beautiful, slow ride.

My big question at this point is how strong the story will be. Disey seems to be having a case of anti-story-syndrome lately with 7DMT and the removal of the story from test track and the safari, both of which I think made those rides worse. I very much believe that all rides are better with a better story, but sometimes, thrill rides can get away with not having one at all. However, I've never seen a storyless omnimover or boat ride*, so I strongly feel that a slow moving ride like this one needs something more that just pretty scenes. My big concen is that, much like 7DMT, the ride will be too short to have that.

Hopefully they make the most of this ride's 5 minutes.

*don't be all smart and say "it's a small world." That ride has a story of world peace. Maybe more of a moral than a story. But either way, it has a mission and a purpose.

DisneyRoy

The track does look really short. We're presuming that the track goes down the center of the channel, though. Wouldn't the underwater rail system give them the flexibility to do something similar to this -

View attachment 130181

This was what I was thinking. Using the Shanghai trackless ride system would allow them more freedom of movement. The boats could hangout like others have said in these little inlets to observe some AA.

BrianLo

Also interesting to see that it doesn't match the old layout we had seen in the blueprint

My completely (again educated) assumption is that the actual boat ride in the leaked plans was just a rough placeholder at the time to demonstrate how the Flight of Passage queue would eventually sit on top of a small chunk of Na'vi River Journey. Which is also why I don't lend too much credence to the plans naming it a C-ticket. That leak occurred well before Cameron was happy and one of those compromises likely involved plussing the C-ticket boat attraction it references.

PHEW... let's see what other educated guesses I can make. That was a close turnaround, could have been quite embarrassing.

disney4life2008

Each of us has our opinion, which makes discussion forums interesting. :)

I actually think the opposite. I believe I'm going to enjoy the 2 rides a lot, but be even more impressed by simply walking around the immersive land, especially at night. I really expect that I'll find this to be the most immersive theme park land around (at least for the next 2-3 years). Diagon Alley is impressive, but I expect this will be even more so, with the grandeur of the floating mountains, waterfalls and bio luminescent forest.

I will give you that one. I love animal kingdom at night so i will be open minded.

Tom

Beta Return

View attachment 130181

We've seen the concrete guideway, in the photos of the maintenance bay. If they have them in there, that's surely what's throughout the rest of the ride.

Thus, I don't think the boats can do what you drew...or at least not if water propulsion is used. If there are individual motors on each boat, driving the guidewheels, perhaps. But not that "V" you drew.

I'm guessing the air compressors are for pneumatic AA's and other special effects. Perhaps even some of the ride system mechanics.

This was what I was thinking. Using the Shanghai trackless ride system would allow them more freedom of movement. The boats could hangout like others have said in these little inlets to observe some AA.

I haven't seen Shanghai's trackless boat system, but I don't think this is it, since we've clearly seen a track.

There is no reason why the boats couldn't stop/spin in place/not move at a consistent
speed, either. It's not an omnimover where they are all chained together.

There would be load/unload logistical issues because of not having a constant speed,
but it's not impossible.

Great work on finding this, and the autocad stuff, this is why this forum is awesome.

I concur - there are some great contributors here.

toolsnspools

I'm guessing the air compressors are for pneumatic AA's and other special effects. Perhaps even some of the ride system mechanics.
I would imagine that's the case. Do any of the insiders have examples of existing rides/AA's that use air? I thought they were mainly hydraulic.

doctornick

I haven't seen Shanghai's trackless boat system, but I don't think this is it, since we've clearly seen a track.

I could be totally off, but I'm fairly certain that Shanghai's POTC is not "trackless". In fact, quite the opposite, because I thought it was more like an Omnimover in water where the boats are connected to the ground and the water is more for "show" rather than actually being ridden on. Because the boats are connected to a base on the ground, this allows them to be spun different directions to see different scenes. Although I'm not sure if all the vehicles would be linked in a chain like a regular Omnimover; they might be independently able to move.

Now, I don't know if that matches up with the channel we have seen for the Na'vi River Journey ride, but I'm imagining that it's possible that the equipment that attaches to the boats to move them alone could fit into the groove we saw on the floor.

Mike S

I could be totally off, but I'm fairly certain that Shanghai's POTC is not "trackless". In fact, quite the opposite, because I thought it was more like an Omnimover in water where the boats are connected to the ground and the water is more for "show" rather than actually being ridden on. Because the boats are connected to a base on the ground, this allows them to be spun different directions to see different scenes. Although I'm not sure if all the vehicles would be linked in a chain like a regular Omnimover; they might be independently able to move.

Now, I don't know if that matches up with the channel we have seen for the Na'vi River Journey ride, but I'm imagining that it's possible that the equipment that attaches to the boats to move them alone could fit into the groove we saw on the floor.
So, does it match up?
ZZ3D5FC1B8.png

doctornick

I think this is the description of the Shanghai boat ride mechanics: ride patent for "Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats"

Others more familiar than I might be able to read that and see if Na'vi River Journey could fit it. I personally think the trough we see in the construction photos could be consistent with what is see in the Shanghai POTC photo. Also, I think what @toolsnspools suggested about the boats traveling into the alcoves seems like it could work with how the proposed mechanism of this ride work. From the link above:

imgf0003.png

In regards to the speeds of the boat, this is the info from the patent:

The ride system allows the boats to each have independently selected and controlled speeds (e.g., 0 to 4 feet per second, 0 to 12 feet per second, or ranges with an even higher maximum or upper speed), to have variable speeds along the guide track, to be fully stopped and then restarted along the ride, and to have a boat-to-boat spacing that is managed by a ride control system. These ride characteristics provide a ride system that may include triggered and timed show scenes as well as the ability to orient the boats to provide the passengers with desired viewing angles and sight lines.

imgaf001.png

Last edited:

cjkeating

The latest layout from the water management application does suggest that the boats will have to turn to face the scenes otherwise some people on the right hand side of the boat will not have a very good view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom