• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

hpyhnt 1000

Gran Fiesta Tour, a typical slow boat ride, is about 6.5 minutes, which feels kinda short when you're on it. On the other hand, Star Tours is just under 5 minutes ride time, which feels quite long for a simulator/thrill ride. Just depends on perspective I guess. Since 5 minutes is the number that's been consistently tossed around, it's definitely going to be up to the sets and effects to really sell this one.

But thinking out loud, the one wild card in all of this is the exact ride system used. If it's something like the rumored Shanghai Pirates system (where the speed and direction of the boats can be independently controlled) and not a standard flume system, that can easily add another minute or two to the ride time (the small glimpse we got of the maintenance bay flume seemed to indicate this isn't a standard water flume). In theory it could allow boats to rotate in place or come to a stop for 15-20 seconds at a time, perhaps to watch an effect or listen to dialogue. Or maybe it could allow boats to "meander" through some of the wider sections of the flume.

We just don't know at this point. It seems there have been very few leaks in terms of details.

doctornick

I brought the image into AutoCAD, and scaled it up with the assumption that the parking stalls shown are standard 9x18. I then threw in an approximate centerline through the flume:

According to my rough guesstimate, it looks like the track circuit is approximately 520' long. If we follow the assumption that omnimovers typically move at 1.5 ft/sec, that gets us a total circuit time of about 5:45 (keeping in mind that guests won't ride the full distance through the load/unload area)
I guess we could hope that the parking spaces are larger than "standard"....

Cesar R M

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic :hilarious: :coldfeet:

Its a double edged complaint. On the one end, the consensus is the plot itself isn't well done. On the other end, its the fact that there is too much plot and not enough acrobats, like you said.

This is hardly a change in venue. Cirque du Soleil is perhaps most known for their extravagant tours. Currently they have eight, soon to be seven on Feb. 26, touring shows worldwide. Four, soon to be three, are in the arena format, and the other four are under the Grand Chapiteau (aka the big top, see below for an example). In addition they also have 11 (one is closing in April, as another opens) shows in residence. Nine in Las Vegas, one in Orlando, one in Rivera Maya, MX, and soon one on Broadway in NYC.

They are opening one in my town.. Nuevo Vallarta.
Hell, they are build an ENTIRE PARK based on circle du soleil (look at VIDANTA NUEVO VALLARTA CIRCLE DU SOLEIL )

and good point. I only enjoyed the fixed circle du soleil in Disney Springs.
My mother in the other hand, has seen 3 (Joya in Cancun, one I dont remember in Guadalajara, which was touring, and the Disney Springs one)

disney4life2008

LOL I think you are missing the WHOLE point of that boat ride.
Nope. I clearly read that it is for people who do not want the excitement of the main attraction. I am talking about overall, Avatar is a bore. Nothing about the plans sounds exciting. I am sorry that I am solo in my thinking but this is all just a bore. On the other hand, Rivers of Light sounds amazing!

dreamscometrue

Nope. I clearly read that it is for people who do not want the excitement of the main attraction. I am talking about overall, Avatar is a bore. Nothing about the plans sounds exciting. I am sorry that I am solo in my thinking but this is all just a bore. On the other hand, Rivers of Light sounds amazing!
Each of us has our opinion, which makes discussion forums interesting. :)

I actually think the opposite. I believe I'm going to enjoy the 2 rides a lot, but be even more impressed by simply walking around the immersive land, especially at night. I really expect that I'll find this to be the most immersive theme park land around (at least for the next 2-3 years). Diagon Alley is impressive, but I expect this will be even more so, with the grandeur of the floating mountains, waterfalls and bio luminescent forest.

flyerjab

I actually think the opposite. I believe I'm going to enjoy the 2 rides a lot, but be even more impressed by simply walking around the immersive land, especially at night. I really expect that I'll find this to be the most immersive theme park land around (at least for the next 2-3 years). Diagon Alley is impressive, but I expect this will be even more so, with the grandeur of the floating mountains, waterfalls and bio luminescent forest.
Could not agree with you more my friend. Grandeur is such an appropriate word.

Tom

Tom
I brought the image into AutoCAD, and scaled it up with the assumption that the parking stalls shown are standard 9x18. I then threw in an approximate centerline through the flume:

View attachment 130075

According to my rough guesstimate, it looks like the track circuit is approximately 520' long. If we follow the assumption that omnimovers typically move at 1.5 ft/sec, that gets us a total circuit time of about 5:45 (keeping in mind that guests won't ride the full distance through the load/unload area)

For those of you playing along at home, the curve radii are 10-11', to help you approximate the scale you're looking at. The load/unload area is about 105' long

EDIT: The more I think about this, the more likely it seems that it will be the Shanghai POTC system. The normal iasw/POTC-type boats are roughly 8' wide, so it seems highly unlikely they would be able to make turns that tight in a flume (which would need an inner radius around 6-7', much tighter than what we're used to). Given that the Shanghai system's movement is unrelated to the vehicle size, it seems like a good match
I think it will just be boats like JC, where some guide wheels hang down into that trough on rods. Thus, the boat can turn as sharp as the concrete trough turns.

They'd be propelled by pumps, like the other boat rides, rather than onboard motors.

Should give it a very free flowing feel to it.

HauntedMansionFLA

I see these two attractions as a perfect combination for different types of guest. The flight ride geared more toward the thrill seekers and the boat ride that's more tame and everyone can enjoy(families with kids). The boat ride hopefully will be slow moving with jaw dropping theming. It will be cool to see if the Tree of Souls will be included plus it rotates around to see everything. And yes, the whole land will be beautiful at nighttime. Thanks to everyone who found this information and help shed some light on the boat ride attraction. And a big thanks to the members who did the math to give a possible length time. :)

egg

With the way they were advertising it and how it was almost like an afterthought every time they talked about the oh-so-thrilling banshee ride, this is pretty much what I expected. No drops (that would probably actually take away from the experience), no Forbidden-Journey-style 3D scenes, no two-story boat ride, nothing special like that. It'll be what they've been adveristing and drawing up concept art of: a beautiful, slow ride.

My big question at this point is how strong the story will be. Disey seems to be having a case of anti-story-syndrome lately with 7DMT and the removal of the story from test track and the safari, both of which I think made those rides worse. I very much believe that all rides are better with a better story, but sometimes, thrill rides can get away with not having one at all. However, I've never seen a storyless omnimover or boat ride*, so I strongly feel that a slow moving ride like this one needs something more that just pretty scenes. My big concen is that, much like 7DMT, the ride will be too short to have that.

Hopefully they make the most of this ride's 5 minutes.

*don't be all smart and say "it's a small world." That ride has a story of world peace. Maybe more of a moral than a story. But either way, it has a mission and a purpose.

DisneyRoy

The track does look really short. We're presuming that the track goes down the center of the channel, though. Wouldn't the underwater rail system give them the flexibility to do something similar to this -

View attachment 130181

I'm curious what the outdoor "air compressor yard" is for too.
This was what I was thinking. Using the Shanghai trackless ride system would allow them more freedom of movement. The boats could hangout like others have said in these little inlets to observe some AA.

BrianLo

Also interesting to see that it doesn't match the old layout we had seen in the blueprint
My completely (again educated) assumption is that the actual boat ride in the leaked plans was just a rough placeholder at the time to demonstrate how the Flight of Passage queue would eventually sit on top of a small chunk of Na'vi River Journey. Which is also why I don't lend too much credence to the plans naming it a C-ticket. That leak occurred well before Cameron was happy and one of those compromises likely involved plussing the C-ticket boat attraction it references.
PHEW... let's see what other educated guesses I can make. That was a close turnaround, could have been quite embarrassing.

disney4life2008

I will give you that one. I love animal kingdom at night so i will be open minded.

Top Bottom