RSoxNo1

I am really surprised that they did not build a highly themed "regular" train loop to and from AKL and AK - sort of the Conservation Station train writ large.

You'd have to create entirely new stations, but I think a train to and from AKL would also be a great option.

Back to Pandora - a few pages ago Lee mentioned the Tron Coaster concept. I think that's an apt comparison here. I'm not in love with the source material of Tron, nor am I in love with the source material of Avatar. Both stories had their issues, but both movies were visually pleasing. They both lent themselves to immersive environments and that's what has me excited about this project.

jt04

OK, so here is something specific. Per Leemac Joe Rohde has been involved in the Avatar project for what seems to be awhile. I know that is contradictory to what others have said but I consider this plausible and great news if true..

Take it for what you think it is worth but it does make perfect sense.

You all owe me by the way.:animwink: I just suffered through a couple hundred posts at the other place to glean this flake of gold. :king:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OK, so here is something specific. Per Leemac Joe Rohde has been involved in the Avatar project for what seems to be awhile. I know that is contradictory to what others have said but I consider this plausible and great news if true..

Take it for what you think it is worth but it does make perfect sense.

You all owe me by the way.:animwink: I just suffered through a couple hundred posts at the other place to glean this flake of gold. :king:

Excuse my ignorance....who is Leemac?

jt04

Excuse my ignorance....who is Leemac?

He posts elsewhere (and no I will not say where) and is considered more of an insider than Lee or Raven by some. I think he was wdw74's main source. Anyway, he is well thought of by most forum members here and elsewhere.

tomman710

I searched through most of the pages but admittedly did not read them all, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but IGN had an interview with Cameron ... http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1196331p1.html

He comments on what he would like to see at Disney:

Beyond the games, what would you like to see in the Avatar Disney World Pandora that will be built in Orlando?

I definitely want to do a flight attraction of some kind. I love "Soarin' Over California" (at Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim). Flying is a big part of the movie. One of the things people liked the most at test screenings was going up into the floating mountains in the flying sequences. We may have banshees, Leonopteryxes, maybe some other flying creatures that don't make their appearance until the second and third films.

209vaughn

I searched through most of the pages but admittedly did not read them all, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned but IGN had an interview with Cameron ... http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1196331p1.html

He comments on what he would like to see at Disney:

Beyond the games, what would you like to see in the Avatar Disney World Pandora that will be built in Orlando?

I definitely want to do a flight attraction of some kind. I love "Soarin' Over California" (at Disney's California Adventure Park in Anaheim). Flying is a big part of the movie. One of the things people liked the most at test screenings was going up into the floating mountains in the flying sequences. We may have banshees, Leonopteryxes, maybe some other flying creatures that don't make their appearance until the second and third films.

Soarin' is a lot of fun the first time around, but after that the re-ride value is pretty low compared to other major attractions.

Hope to see some real Grade A attractions at Avatar land.

Fable McCloud

I just hope these attractions live up to what they hype them to be.

I have no doubt that Disney will give us something amazing, but I just hope it isn't regurgitated ride formats spruced up to look like something new.

deltalove

Soarin' is a lot of fun the first time around, but after that the re-ride value is pretty low compared to other major attractions.

Hope to see some real Grade A attractions at Avatar land.

Am I the only one that is hoping for a roller coaster? I think another Soarin' would get old pretty fast, but that might just be me. AK could definitely use another thrill ride to amp up it's appeal.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Am I the only one that is hoping for a roller coaster? I think another Soarin' would get old pretty fast, but that might just be me. AK could definitely use another thrill ride to amp up it's appeal.

Disney World is NOT known for having thrill rides.

While certain types of rides can be thrilling, I don't think that a thrill ride, per se, is what DAK is lacking.

But, if you really want roller coasters then may I suggest Cedar Point?

Bairstow

Agreed. The fewer TV screens in these attractions the better, and there's no substitute for real speed.

There are a lot of cool coaster and coaster derivatives out there to choose from now, too. Universal's Mummy ride has kicked off a new generation of dark ride/coaster hybrids. What I think might really work for Pandora is a modified Gerstlauer Eurofighter like the one used at Dollywood for "Mystery Mine." Eurofighters are exceptionally smooth and because their speed can be so varied and the cars are small, they really lend themselved to coaster/dark ride hybrids. I'd love to see what WDI could do with a Mystery Mine-style ride setup, multiple computer-controlled blocking stations, and big-budget animatronics.

menamechris

There are a lot of cool coaster and coaster derivatives out there to choose from now, too. Universal's Mummy ride has kicked off a new generation of dark ride/coaster hybrids. What I think might really work for Pandora is a modified Gerstlauer Eurofighter like the one used at Dollywood for "Mystery Mine." Eurofighters are exceptionally smooth and because their speed can be so varied and the cars are small, they really lend themselved to coaster/dark ride hybrids. I'd love to see what WDI could do with a Mystery Mine-style ride setup, multiple computer-controlled blocking stations, and big-budget animatronics.

I agree completely. Rollercoasters are not just for Busch Gardens or Cedar Point anymore. They can be just as effective at storytelling - maybe even better given the anticipation factor. Everest was a great example of this.

maxairmike

Little known nugget of info as I understand it, some former Imagineers were involved in Mystery Mine, and I must say, it really shows. It is both an outstanding ride, as well as an outstanding themed attraction. That last vertical lift is quite a show, and is actually quite comparable to many things Disney. The story throughout the queue line is superb, and I often caused gaps in the line trying to catch all the little details. The ride executes the story extremely well, and as a vehicle for carrying a plot line, is quite exceptional. Dare I say that Disney might learn a thing or two from its execution and design?

jt04

DAK has a roller coaster thank you. I think roller coaster technology is underutilized. The Mummy at Universal is hopefully just a first in a new way of utilizing the technology. But a looping coaster dressed up in fancy theming is still a looping coaster. We don't need a Disney version of Dueling Dragons. Leave that stuff to Busch Gardems or Six Flags. It works well in those style parks.

RSoxNo1

What about that track switching coaster that surfaced a few months ago by an independent designer? Can that be used for Pandora?

jt04

What about that track switching coaster that surfaced a few months ago by an independent designer? Can that be used for Pandora?

That was someone's pipe dream. It appeared to me to be too complex for anyone to try.

If I was guessing I would think a hybrid of technologies along these lines. That suspended flying ride at IoA (something I can't spell "Flyer") within a large building with all sorts of animatronics and 4D effects.

A mash-up of PPF, Soarin and Dinosaur with 3D glasses.

I can dream anyway. :lol:

misterID

I think it will be several different types of attractions. You figure, and just my guess, that there will be a Soarin type ride because that's what Cameron keeps pointing to with what he wants in Avatarland. I would think this would be an excellent 4D experience. Maybe do a Star Tours 2 thing, where its a different trip each ride.

SeaCastle

He posts elsewhere (and no I will not say where) and is considered more of an insider than Lee or Raven by some. I think he was wdw74's main source. Anyway, he is well thought of by most forum members here and elsewhere.

Lee MacDonald is a financial consultant for Parks and Resorts. He also writes for Tales from the Laughing Place magazine and posts on the LaughingPlace boards occasionally. He's not WDW1974's "main source".

DCLcruiser

Rock N Roller Coaster is still one of my favorite rides. There is nothing wrong with a metal coaster...they are why most people go to other parks.

An indoor Pandora coaster would be great and allow them to shield noise from the animals.

Plus, we all know that Dueling Dragons was intended for DAK, so coasters (even outdoors) were always planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom