njDizFan

Lee MacDonald is a financial consultant for Parks and Resorts. He also writes for Tales from the Laughing Place magazine and posts on the LaughingPlace boards occasionally. He's not WDW1974's "main source".
just got through the thread and Leemac also confirms tha there is no revenue sharing of gate receipts only a heavy licensing fee as well as a cut of the merchandise.

Glasgow

Normally I would protest against the high-speed coaster talk and suggest only highly detailed dark rides (a la HM, PoTC, etc), but as Bairstow stated above, they no longer need to be mutually exclusive. The Mummy is an incredibly immersive and exciting ride (albeit a bit short) and it would be great to see a comparable (or better) attraction in AL. If you haven't been on that coaster then you are really missing out. Either that or maybe an EMV style-ride (like IJA)

Ok, the little kids wouldn't be able to ride it but I'm sure they have plenty of other kid-friendly attractions in the offing as well.

CastleBound

Am I the only one that is hoping for a roller coaster? I think another Soarin' would get old pretty fast, but that might just be me. AK could definitely use another thrill ride to amp up it's appeal.

I totally agree with out. It would seem, and it was my first thought too, that a Soarin' type ride would fit perfectly. I also think it would get old as well. I do get tired of Soarin' after 1 ride basically.

I think some sort of thrill would be great. Not really sure what, but something with a little speed would be great!

jt04

Lee MacDonald is a financial consultant for Parks and Resorts. He also writes for Tales from the Laughing Place magazine and posts on the LaughingPlace boards occasionally. He's not WDW1974's "main source".

Really? So what you are trying to say is that he has credibility then. Right? :shrug:

njdan

Ok I do not know anything about Avatar( prob great movie and idea for Disney).
But is AK right place for it?
And believe me I like AK but I think it could have something added.
Cant wait to here more

toolsnspools

I totally agree with out. It would seem, and it was my first thought too, that a Soarin' type ride would fit perfectly. I also think it would get old as well. I do get tired of Soarin' after 1 ride basically.

I think some sort of thrill would be great. Not really sure what, but something with a little speed would be great!

I'd love to see an indoor suspended coaster or one that you lie prone in like Manta at SW that flies you through Avatar at night. Think RnRc only with with far more intricate glow in the dark detail.

CastleBound

I'd love to see an indoor suspended coaster or one that you lie prone in like Manta at SW that flies you through Avatar at night. Think RnRc only with with far more intricate glow in the dark detail.

I don't know if that style would fly(pun intended) with a lot of the guests. I'm not sure how crowded Manta gets, but at Six Flags Great Adventure, Superman isn't as popular.

That would be cool tho being indoors. I'm not sure though that a coaster with how ever fast it is makes sense to build an intricate indoor scene. You would pass by all the sights too fast. I'd rather relax and enjoy it on an omnimover.

toolsnspools

Good point. Going too fast wouldn't allow a lot of time for sightseeing. I've never ridden Manta, but it seems to be slower that many coasters I have ridden. They could include a lot of intricate details in a next-gen queue, so what you would get on the coaster itself would be there for the thrills. Like the yeti or the T-Rex on Dinosaur.

maxairmike

If they could find a way to recreate the floating islands in scale with an inverted/flying coaster indoors, I'm not sure the speed would matter much above about 40mph. They could even start the coaster at its highest point and have the lift at the end as you finally get the hang of controlling the creature, so that the crazy portion of the ride starts as soon as you leave the station.

CastleBound

I would love to see the floating mountains... but they would have to be pretty big to look real at all. I wonder how they could do that. Zooming around them would be pretty fun. I think maybe a standard 2 seater coaster train would work fine, but it would need something to differentiate it from EE.

NoChesterHester

I would love to see the floating mountains... but they would have to be pretty big to look real at all. I wonder how they could do that. Zooming around them would be pretty fun. I think maybe a standard 2 seater coaster train would work fine, but it would need something to differentiate it from EE.

Flying in a bucket suspended beneath the Great Lenoptyrx could be pretty thrilling.

I was looking at some images from the movies and a lot of the floating mountains had vines coming down to the ground. The vines could conceivably be steel tubes made to look like vines holding up a lightweight superstructure. I think it could be pretty convincing.

NoChesterHester

Here is an interesting bit of research for you all... Transparent Concrete.

http://bit.ly/i1Hqdt

One can picture its application in a Pandora themed night...

Bairstow

I don't know if that style would fly(pun intended) with a lot of the guests. I'm not sure how crowded Manta gets, but at Six Flags Great Adventure, Superman isn't as popular.

That would be cool tho being indoors. I'm not sure though that a coaster with how ever fast it is makes sense to build an intricate indoor scene. You would pass by all the sights too fast. I'd rather relax and enjoy it on an omnimover.

Manta is very popular, and when I've been at Sea World it's always had a line. It's also fairly high-capacity, 1500 riders per hour over Superman's 950. The extra capacity comes from Manta having 2 parallel loading platforms and switching stations.

As far as a possiblity for Pandora, I'm not sure a B&M coaster is ideal simply because of the great size of these things. It would probably be prohibitively expensive to put one indoors. On the other hand, if it were to be an outdoor coaster B&M are getting better and better at making their coasters quieter when run, by filling the supports with sand and other media, and it would probably be no great trouble for WDI to disguise the supports as trees. Trouble is, at this point it's not much of a themed attraction unless there are enough sights around Pandora to make it interesting to travel around and the of course the coaster would have to travel in and out of all of it. Manta sort of does this with a beautiful lagoon under much of the coaster, but I wouldn't call it theming so much as decoration (Manta is just about the prettiest coaster in the world).

Of course, Manta's flying configuration is cool but the loading time is a limiting factor. Another new, but also huge B&M ride configuration is their new "Wing-Rider" system, as is being used in the coaster they're building at Dollywood.

WDW1974

Just a brief pop-in to clear up a misconception (yeah, that's what I'll call it!), but I while I have many sources, Lee MacDonald is absolutely not one of them in any capacity.

I do have respect for Lee's knowledge of many insider goings-on, although he sometimes is mistaken (as we all are).

As for his Tales fanzine, they have gone about 1 1/2 years without an issue (sadly) and I'm afraid that D23 may have succeeded in putting them out of business ... which would explain many things there.

But again, he in no way is a source of mine and would probably be amused at said notion.

Now ... let's color ourselves with blue pixie dust and get psyched for Avatarland -- IF and when it actually gets built!:rolleyes::drevil::wave:

AEfx

I think maybe a standard 2 seater coaster train would work fine, but it would need something to differentiate it from EE.

Well, the animatronics could actually, I dunno, work. ;)

That would be a huge difference between the attractions.

(Sorry, had to say it!)

Joking aside, the Mummy is a great example (if only 1/2 done, really) of the possibilities of mixing fast coaster movements with slower moving show scenes. Of course, then you have the middle section which is all carnie crap, but the beginning and end are quite good, and I'd love to see what Disney could do combining tech like that.

As long as we don't get another frakin' video screen attraction, I'll be pleased I am sure.

jt04

Flying in a bucket suspended beneath the Great Lenoptyrx could be pretty thrilling.

I was looking at some images from the movies and a lot of the floating mountains had vines coming down to the ground. The vines could conceivably be steel tubes made to look like vines holding up a lightweight superstructure. I think it could be pretty convincing.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be almost impossible to place a suspended looping coaster system indoors. But a non-inverting suspended coaster can use light weight vertical support beams which could then function as part of the theming rather easily. The rider could be suspended horizontally as with Manta or in a bucket as you suggest. This has so much potential it is frightening. :lol:

RSoxNo1

What about that track switching coaster that surfaced a few months ago by an independent designer? Can that be used for Pandora?

The Star Wars themed one?

These are the images from that design via GordonRides.com

StarWars1.jpg

StarWars2.jpg

StarWars3.jpg

StarWars4.jpg

StarWars5.jpg

ChrisM

Ultimately I think the downfall of this dueling coaster attraction concept is that, for all of the substantial cost and complexity of it, you could likely craft a simulator ride that offers you 90% of the same experience at a fraction of the cost (and complexity, ensuring greater up-time and less maintenance).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom