jmick71

http://www.google.com/patents/about/12_718_803_FLYING_ENTERTAINMENT_VEHICLE.html?id=W5bZAAAAEBAJ
av1uk.jpg

av2m.jpg

you beat me to it

but yah how AMAZING AND IMMERSIVE is this going to be, I have a feeling this will blow HP out of the water.

ChrisM

Those can't be completely free flying, can they?

It would be an utterly fantastic experience, only to be yanked as soon as one crashed down onto a guest.

andre85

Everything I've read on the announcement makes me think Disney wants to put the emphasis on the visuals of the world itself (and not so much the plot *cough*). Use a version of Soarin's ride system, heck, even some 3-D glasses, and there's an E ticket attraction. Be it just a fly-by the floating mountains in a helicopter/plane, or even set it up so you're flying on a Banshee. Take the recent renovation of Star Tours and what they did with the randomizing of the scenes = instant re-rideability.

I think I was just reading a few months ago that the manufactures of Soarin's ride system just developed a newer version, allowing for side-to-side movement (which surprisingly, the current Soarin' doesn't have). That could lend itself well to Avatar--hell, the opening and closing scenes of Avatar (with the camera flying through the forest) seem custom built for this.

trr1

If they put this where B K(not burger king) was to be and camp m&m couldnt they have half the park open past the closing time they have now?

Prototype82

I would imagine a Soarin' type ride.
I think that'd be great, but I would hope they stretched the technology tons further than that. It sounds like they really want to do some pioneering on this one. As great as Star Tours and Soarin' are, I think they need to go way above and beyond those ride systems. Maybe even KUKA. Who knows...

jumblue

On the speculation of Bio-luminescence... Fantasyland dark-rides were king of Black-lights. I'm sure it'll be a mix of black-light and LED, which could yield some interesting results, especially for night scenes...

Placement of this thing is going to be a big concern, as you really can't have attractions spooking the actual animals, which makes me think CMM is the prime spot (and why BK was slated for there).

The entrance and exit to the area needs to be spectacular, kind of an updated hydrolator experience.

Now if only they could just talk with Mr. Cameron about working the Abyss into Nemo and Friends over at Epcot...

Also interesting, "Disney by Mark" claims Mr. Joe Rhodes had no idea this was coming. Curious as to what his thoughts are on this being in his baby...

disney fan 13

what i would like would be and that are somewhat likely

a high speed coaster
a dark ride or a enhanced sorin
walk through area
shoppes
restaurant

MrMorrowTom

I can't wait to see what they do with the night life every thing in Pandora lights up so that will be cool to see. I can see them using a lot of fiber optic lights.

It will also be cool to see since James Cameron already made a "ride/experience" at universal hollywood with the king kong 3d. I hope the do something like that but in a ride almost like spiderman but better.

JediMasterMatt

On the speculation of Bio-luminescence... Fantasyland dark-rides were king of Black-lights. I'm sure it'll be a mix of black-light and LED, which could yield some interesting results, especially for night scenes...

Placement of this thing is going to be a big concern, as you really can't have attractions spooking the actual animals, which makes me think CMM is the prime spot (and why BK was slated for there).

The entrance and exit to the area needs to be spectacular, kind of an updated hydrolator experience.

Now if only they could just talk with Mr. Cameron about working the Abyss into Nemo and Friends over at Epcot...

Also interesting, "Disney by Mark" claims Mr. Joe Rhodes had no idea this was coming. Curious as to what his thoughts are on this being in his baby...

The pad selection will be interesting as it will likely tell a lot about the types of attractions the expansion will contain. I mentioned in the main thread yesterday that the Asia pad would likely put noise and potential time constraints on the types of rides and attraction due to the proximety to the animals and the stress it would cause them. This pad would be possible to use if the Pandora section was comprised of mostly indoor attractions (similar to the Mermaid section in Tokyo Disney Sea). An indoor based section would also allow for reproduction of the bio-lumenesence at all times.

If CMM is used, then it would bring to the table more traditional thrill attractions. I wonder how long Sea World has on regional exclustivity on a B&M flying coaster? Of course, Disney could go with a new B&M wing rider design and theme that heavily. I hope they would be wise enough to stay away from Vekoma after all the problems Universal Singapore has had with Battlestar Galatica.

The CMM pad would also offer the potential of a night time spectacular like World of Color and allow direct exit access to the parking lot like Fantasmic can.

Of the two options, the Asia pad with indoor focused attractions I think would be the most interesting. Likley more dark rides and it would allow more opportunity to disconnect from reality.

jt04

Random thoughts.......

You forgot about fiber optics in addition to black light and LEDs. I would think a massive amount of fiber optics would be used.

Also, much of the environment such as the floating islands could be accomplished through 3D projections.

Evidently Imagineering has some fairly developed blue sky stuff because James Cameron commented on how impressed he was by some of their ideas.

Someone mentioned that you may have your own Avatar you control. I think this makes a lot of sense as one of the features of the land. Ties in perfectly with an on-line RPG where you could have a character developed before you even arrive on property. RFID?

I expect something on the scale of Carsland which Skaggs seems to be describing on the Disney Blog. Sounds very similar to what they are doing at DCA with the fully developed Carsland.

Yes, they need to get Cameron's help at the Seas. Huh, I wonder who suggested that a couple years ago? :wave::lol:

No, I doubt Rohde was unaware of this. If he was, then that may be a bad sign or they have another project in mind for him. Imagineering is too small to imagine they all were not aware of this. :shrug:

zooey

My thoughts: first, they're going to put this where BK was going to go. Avatarland fulfills the plan for BK in theme and also because they want to draw people away from Asia (after the initial crowds) so that guests are drawn to two opposite locations.

Second, I don't think it will be an enclosed environment, especially considering the dragon patent. Unless those can be flown inside a massive building, but I doubt it. I would not be surprised if the land is done in a horseshoe of rockwork similar to Carsland.

Biggest hurdle for WDI? How to make the story work. Who is the guest supposed to be? What is their role in this land? How does something like a restaurant or gift shop work in a primitive, alien planet? Lots and lots of design work to be done...

wickedsoccer22

Anyone else as excited as me to hear the BGM? I absolutely loved Avatar's soundtrack and can't imagine being able to walk around Pandora with that music in the background.

InsiderImagine

The location I have is definite. Camp Minnie-Mickey was to be replaced but because of the landscape going in the location, it would of made Animal Kingdom's entrance odd-looking.

I highly doubt that there will be a Soarin' type attraction.

Rafiki's Planet Watch is being removed strictly because it is there for capacity reasons and with Avatar coming in, this would make that part obsolete. There will be an "education" part of the land that will probably replace Rafiki's Planet Watch.

If there was to be any outdoor roller coasters or any "noisy" rides it would be on the far east side of the park away from the animals.

Bairstow

I think that'd be great, but I would hope they stretched the technology tons further than that. It sounds like they really want to do some pioneering on this one. As great as Star Tours and Soarin' are, I think they need to go way above and beyond those ride systems. Maybe even KUKA. Who knows...

Kuka would be an interesting possibility. Doesn't Universal's exclusivity contract with them expire in 2017?

It will also be cool to see since James Cameron already made a "ride/experience" at universal hollywood with the king kong 3d. I hope the do something like that but in a ride almost like spiderman but better.

Are you sure that wasn't Peter Jackson?
Or are you thinking about Terminator 3-D?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom